Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment **

Far too easy today, even for a Monday. There are two very weak anagrams and too many clues that can be answered from general knowledge. No stand out clues for me today.

1a    Insect family with extensive members (5-4-4)
DADDY-LONG-LEGS:    As an Arachnid an Opilone commonly known as a Harvestman. As a flying insect a Crane Fly. We have had a plague of them this autumn

10a    Incite it in a football crowd (7)
AGITATE:    Take A from the clue then place the word IT from the clue inside a noun meaning the number of people who pay to enter a sports ground for an event

11a    Warning — it’s a mock auction (7)
CAUTION:    Anagram (mock) of AUCTION

12a    Get a larger size (4)
GROW:    Increase in size

13a    Duplicator initially needs it to copy (5)
DITTO:    Take the first (initially) letter of the word D(itto) and add (needs) IT and TO from the clue

14a    Pen note that the doctor should look at (4)
STYE:    This pen might contain pigs. The note is a musical one. The thing a doctor might look at would be an inflamed swelling on your eyelid.

17a    A drifter of a coldly detached nature (7)
ICEBERG:    These got a mention last week and caused a bit of a problem. They are large pieces of frozen water drifting or floating around in the sea

18a    Nurse in bizarre sex case holds out (7)
EXTENDS:    Place a verb meaning to nurse inside an anagram (bizarre) of SEX

19a    I’m in favour yet show displeasure (7)
GRIMACE:    Place the word I’M into a noun meaning the condition or fact of being favoured by someone.

22a    Atlantic liner docked next to a Queen (7)
TITANIA:    Take the final letter away (docked) from what is probably the world’s best known liner and replace it with the letter A from the clue to find the queen of the fairies in Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream.

24a    Role reversal that can let an actor down (4)
TRAP:    Reverse the word which describes an actor’s role to find the name of the spring loaded door set into a stage floor. Here the clue states that it may let an actor down and it may be used for this when an actor needs to disappear suddenly. You will normally see it used in the pantomime Aladdin when the genie magically appears. The mechanism is shrouded in a puff of smoke. I used to dread testing this device when I worked at The Coventry Theatre

25a    Snail that goes round and round and up and down (5)
HELIX:    The last one in for me. The answer is descriptive of the shell of the snail. It is also the first part of its Latin name

26a    Feedback for Miss Blyton? (4)
ENID:    I like this clue. The word feedback indicates that you need to find a word meaning to feed and then reverse it whereupon you will find the first name of the authoress Miss (Mrs) Blyton. Using the name Blyton makes this clue all too easy. “Feedback for the girl” would have stumped me.

29a    Unusual glee shown after getting a pass in school (7)
COLLEGE:    Take an anagram (unusual) of GLEE and place it after a word for a pass in a mountain range for example.

30a    Foreign Legion’s drink (4,3)
SLOE GIN:    An anagram (Foreign) of LEGION’S will give this beautiful winter warmer of a drink

31a    Tip some runners? Tell us! (5,3,5)
SPILL THE BEANS:    To tip is to upset a liquid. The runners are leguminous. The whole phrase means to let out a secret or a surprise

2d    Notice one model getting fat (7)
ADIPOSE:    A charade. The notice is an AD(vertisement) one is the Roman numeral and to model is to POSE. The whole is a word I have only come across in crosswordland but it does make a regular appearance.

3d    Squirrel’s home moving three feet up (4)
DRAY:    Reverse (up) the word for three feet to find the name for a squirrels nest

4d    Reeling, a little drunk giving the glad eye (7)
LEERING:    Anagram (a little drunk) of REELING

5d    Pet with a connection — one from the old school? (7)
NECKTIE:    This article of clothing can be found by placing a three letter word meaning a connection or a thing that restricts someone’s freedom of action, (Pub Landlord to brewery for example) after a word meaning to kiss and caress amorously

6d    Celebrate when double comes up (4)
LAUD:    Take a word meaning consisting of two parts, elements or aspects and reverse it.

7d    It’s good to pay attention and look bright (7)
GLISTEN:    Place a word meaning to pay attention or heed after the G(ood) to find a word meaning to shine with a sparkling light

8d    Butt for the flower under the ha-ha (8,5)
LAUGHING STOCK:    The butt of the joke. Formed by placing the common name of the flower Matthiola after what is you are doing when going Ha Ha

9d    Getting  compassionate (13)
UNDERSTANDING:    A double definition easily solved from the checking letters

15d    Started to plead over article (5)
BEGAN:    To plead or ask for money or food as charity followed by the form of the indefinite article used before words beginning with a vowel sound

16d    Speak for the whole people (5)
STATE:    A double definition the second being the whole people as a country or republic

20d    If a plan goes awry, you might be (2,1,4)
IN A FLAP:    Anagram (goes awry) of IF A PLAN

21d    Basic substance that’s used in heating (7)
ELEMENT:    A primary constituent of matter or the unit that boils your electric kettle.

22d    Attempts to reach high note somewhere in Italy (7)
TRIESTE:    This city in North west Italy can be found by placing the seventh note of the diatonic scale after the plural form of try

23d    Go on, Ann, develop a geometric figure (7)
NONAGON:    This nine-sided geometric figure can be found by solving an anagram (develop) of GO ON ANN

27d    Give players a hand (4)
DEAL:    To distribute cards in readiness for play

28d    Accomplished fellow with a certain bearing (4)
DONE:    A teacher or senior fellow from a university followed by one of the four points of the compass

Even after reviewing this puzzle I can see very little in it. Perhaps it is just me.

The Quick Crossword pun: suite+hart=sweetheart

Posted September 22, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I agree with Miffypops about this being a 1* for difficulty and also as 25a was my last one in and had me reaching for my BRB to check the relevance of “snail”. However easy though, I always find Rufus’ puzzles fun and I would go for 3* for enjoyment.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

2. Sheepdog
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

22D If my geography is correct, you mean NE Italy!

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I possibly do. Having no idea of where it was in the world I ggogled it. The little map shows it on the left and therefore west in my book. Maybe I should have looked at a larger map. Which I have just done. it might as well be in Slovenia.

Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I agree with Miffypops that this was pretty straightforward so 1* difficulty but I thought it deserved more than 2* for enjoyment so I’ll go for a 3*.
    6d was my last answer and I didn’t get 5d immediately.
    There seemed to be more reversals than usual.
    I liked 12 and 30a and 8 and 20d. My favourite was 1a even though we have far too many of them at the moment. Our twenty year old cat eats them – they sound very crunchy! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

• spindrift
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Never mind your cat eating 1a – this morning I had the misfortune to find one or should I say ½ of one in my bedside glass of water…with a little seasoning it may have tasted better – I blame my sons & the Snecklifters we consumed yesterday afternoon/evening for my lack of attention in the middle of the night…

Posted September 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Oh no – double http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Jane
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Innocent enquiry – what’s a Snecklifter? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I think, and I only think, that it’s beer and probably a strong one. I could be horribly wrong here – it has been known! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Jane
            Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

YUCK – I’ll have no problem avoiding that one but, as for red wine…….. that’s a very different story! Trying to get beyond the first line of ‘spider in the bath’ – will get back to you on that. May have to consult one of the afore-mentioned offspring.

ps – is Gazza really, really scary?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

No – he isn’t at all – he’s lovely and very funny but several years ago I asked if ‘girls’ could get ‘man flu’ – you can ask him about it tomorrow. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• spindrift
            Posted September 23, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Jenning’s Snecklifter is a beer brewed in the Lake district. A ‘snecklifter’ is a dialect word for a door latch but is also a bloke’s last tanner which he would use to buy himself a pint but hope that his mates would get more in without him having to contribute

4. George
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I had a slow start on the northern half, but once under way it was quite straightforward – a ** ****** task for me today. My science background helped with a couple of clues such as 25a, perhaps.

1*/4* I would say.

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

George

Please don’t enter solving times – we don’t want this site to be like certain others I could name!

5. Melbourne Chris
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

All went along quite nicely until 25a which completely stumped me. Even with the help of this site, I was no closer to the answer. Will know for next time now I have revealed the word.

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Chris

• George
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Right – sorry about that.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too.

Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Very easy indeed. Last one in being 25a also. Thanks to miffypops for the hint. My Latin suddenly came back. My favourite is 31a. Just love this expression. Thanks also to Rufus.

7. Jane
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Agree with the ratings – did have to smile over 31a. Arrived at 8d in a rather different way – haha followed by a river and then a term for part of a rifle. It worked for me!
    25a I remember mostly as a brand name on items in my school pencil case!
    As for 1a – my house has been full of them for weeks.

Many thanks to Rufus and Miffypops (I always think that ‘handle’ should belong to a girl!).

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I am a girl Jane. Whenever there is a spider that is

• Jane
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Aha – now you’ve proved that you’re not a girl – at least, not one that’s ever brought offspring into this world. A Mum can’t be seen to be frightened of arachnids in front of her ‘little ones’. Wish I had a £ for every time I’ve sung ‘spider in the bath’ to them or played the video of Charlotte’s web. By the way – it only worked on one of them!

Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

MP is lying! As for ‘spider in the bath’ could you teach it to me so that I can sing it to my husband!!

• Jane
            Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – just looked at u-tube for Spider in the bath – now I know why I only ever sang the chorus to the girls. Don’t suggest you go there with your other half – it’s not likely to improve his tolerance level! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

• andy
          Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Charlotte’s Web.Have not watched the film version for over 30 years, Poor Wilbur, I think that was the pigs name.

• Jane
            Posted September 23, 2014 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Oh heck – I’d forgotten about poor old Wilbur. Now I’m going to have to cry myself to sleep all over again. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

8. Collywobbles
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

A ‘write in’ for me today (if that is the right term) and none the less enjoyable for that but this is my first time so I must be improving. Many thanks to Rufus for a good morning puzzle and to MP for the hints – although too late for me

9. Harport
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

All went in without much trouble except the snail at 25a which completely stumped me.

10. Bluebird
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

After battling with 1a’s all week, I finally hit on a fairly fool proof way of killing them, (or moving them outside, but quite honestly, what’s the point?)
    It’s also spider mating season, but I don’t mind them- they eat flies, so are allowed to stay, as long as they’re not on the ceiling directly over my sleeping face………

11. Dutch
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

25a was last in: with -e-i- i was convinced there would be many other possibilities but i didn’t find anything better – i hadn’t realised it was part of the latin name which i guess makes it kosher, thanks for pointing that out miffypops.

I’m not sure whether Rufus is growing on me or if i even want that, but there was a straight run of across clues i thought were particularly good, 13a duplicator, 14a pen note, 17a the drifter, and especially the bizarre sex case involving nurses.

And a video of the boss to boot, not bad for a monday. thanks Rufus and miffypops

Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle thank you Rufus. Nothing is ever a write in for me – must be very boring for you all ! Thanks for the review and hints MP.

13. Frank
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

3 down I thought squirrels lived in a DREY not a DRAY which surely carries beer barrels?

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Frank

See my answer to Chris.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Hello Frank from me too. I would agree with your take on the spellings but The big Red Book rules

14. F1lbertfox
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with pretty much all that’s been said before my commenting on this morning’s puzzle, except that 12 across was my last one in. The answer seemed so obvious that I felt it just had to be some other word, until I could find no other. However, I would like to offer a different point of view on the so called ‘easy’ cryptic crossword puzzle. I can well remember my younger days when I first became interested in crossword puzzles. These puzzles were mostly in the ‘Mirror’ and my local Leicestershire evening paper. They became a springboard for me to attempt something that needed a little more thought to complete. (and I wanted to read a proper newspaper too) Puzzles like today’s were ideal for the likes of me and I soon became hooked and eventually I progressed to become able to solve the Telegraph crossword on a daily rather than an occasional basis. There must be many folk out there who are still learning how to solve a cryptic puzzle and 27601 must give them great heart to keep having a go. This also has to be said as regards the Toughie, because if they were all as difficult as one I tried recently, which even with the help of the blog still made no sense to me, I would never have bothered to attempt another. Happily I can now solve two or three of those a week unaided. Maybe one day . . . . . . . . . . . . . .? Thank you to the setter – I enjoyed today’s more gentle offering, especially so as I have have so much else to do this sunny Monday.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Well said. This should give heart to the newcomers

• Beaver
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Could’nt agree with you more, started myself some 50 years ago and was pleased to get a few correct answers, now do the moderately difficult toughies at a similar success rate to yourself. In those days the degree of difficult increased from Monday to Friday-no longer the case. Reminds me in essence of the Goons episode when Seagoon asks Eccles ‘what are you doing down there’ to which Eccles replies ‘everybody’s got to be somewhere ! the same applies to crossword solving.

15. Chris fox
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I agree not very difficult but how do you spell 3 down??

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Chris

There are two alternative spellings, with an A or with an E

• Chris fox
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you I must get a new dictionary!!

• Miffypops
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too Chris

16. BigBoab
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and MP, not the most difficult crossword but fun, and a very good review.

Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very nice start to the week, good fun, a few made me smile. Was completely stumped by 25a, one for the memory banks. Favourite was 13a, was 1*/3* for me. Lovely sunny day in Central London.

18. Rick
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

As seems to be the norm, The Grauniad has a far more interesting Rufus offering today. Editorial policy or do they just pay more?

19. EeDjit
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Re: 1A – A Crane Fly and a Daddy Long Legs are completely different insects.

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog EeDjit

Not according to the BRB.

20. Jane
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Grovelling apologies to MP – seems, on further checking, that my addled brain invented the river for 8d! Never mind, it still got me to the answer. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

21. JonP
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward start to the week and pretty enjoyable so **/*** for me. Thanks to Miffypops and Rufus.

Came across the following today which I found mildly amusing – it’s probably done the rounds (sorry if it has) and I post it without prejudice or meaning to cause offense.

click here

22. Hanni
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

***/** for me, though to clarify my brain is completely addled with a cold. 22a I put in as the ‘wrong ship’. Couldn’t remember the spelling of 3d and 19a went in as ‘protest’, on the first pass. Oh and I only got 2d straight away as it is the title of a Doctor Who episode, something my daughter is obsessed with. Did enjoying 27d and 31a. I’d also like to echo what others said before. I started crosswording at 15 with my Grandmother. She would do the DT cryptic whilst I did the quick. She was patient enough to teach me the ‘tricks’ and ‘rules’. This was before the internet where everyone seems to have information at the touch of a button. I went on to do The Times over the years and it’s only in the last 2 months I’ve started doing The DT. I’m by no means an expert puzzler and discovering this blog certainly gave me more confidence in tackling the Toughie and the back page. Through I’m loathe to give up my beloved pencils for anagrams ;-). So thank you to the blog and to Rufus and MP for the hints. Now back to sneezing and coughing from a stunning autumn day in N.Yorks. :-)

• Jane
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Sorry about the cold – think I’m heading the same way!
      I also learnt my love of crosswords from my grandmother – she was a Daily Mail fan. As for using ‘pencils’ – she taught me to take the letters of anagrams and write them out in a circle. At the risk of bringing down heaps of derision on my head from the ‘experts’ I still find that it works extremely well.
      nb. I would have needed a really, really big piece of paper to construct a circle for the recent 78 letter job – the internet has its uses! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Hanni
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jane
        Hope you’re not feeling too bad. It seems our grandmothers taught us the same method with the pencil and circles!!!

• andy
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

I still use pencils for anagrams and in circles. In fact as I tend to solve at work I find scribblings over all sorts of paperwork. Can be interesting on a RayT day ;)

Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Hanni and Jane,
      I learnt the basics of cryptics from my Mum who did the DT every day until a short time ago – she’s now 92.
      Most days she completed it – just occasionally there were a couple of answers that she couldn’t get – my Dad, who couldn’t have done a crossword had his life depended on it, used to walk in, look at the letters that she already had and, without even reading the clue, tell her the answer – he then left it up to her to work out why.
      I do hope that you’re both not suffering too much with the sniffles – don’t even mention them tomorrow – gazza doesn’t ‘do’ girly colds!! Ask him!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Hanni
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath. I like hearing about how others got into crosswording. And very impressive that your mum was completing it until recently. My aunt/Godmother who doesn’t regularly do puzzles at all, can take one look at my Mephisto on a Sunday and finish it instantly. Whereas by most Monday’s I have put the thing on the naughty desk until it learns to behave in a reasonable manner ;-). But now my daughter is just starting to ask about crosswords which I love. Well I shall remember not to mention girly colds tomorrow, though my very lovely other half has just brought me a hot toddy. Amazing stuff.

23. Gwizz
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

A good Monday type crossword…. apart from 25a of course!
    Thanks to Rufus and MPhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

24. Annidrum
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for an enjoyable puzzle? Last one in 25a. Thanks Miffypops fo the review.

25. Dave B
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Pretty quick today except 25a, needed the hint.

• toadson
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Same with me. Not overly impressed with 12a. Thanks to all involved though.

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Adding a bit to your email address caused your comment to require moderation.

• Toadson
          Posted September 23, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave .. That is my new email address now.

26. Vancoverbc
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

An easier one but enjoyable nevertheless apart from 12a which had to be right but just didn’t make sense to me. Thanks to MP for the review.

• Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Yet another version of your alias!

• Vancouverbc
        Posted September 24, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

It’s the paid or should I say iPad!

Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Sorry to disagree but I thought parts of this were distinctly tricky.
    Having said that I found it enjoyable so I would give it **/***.
    Thx to all

Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Definitely easy, mostly, 13a was my last one in.I think the grid helped.My favourite was 8d. Thanks Miffypops and Rufus.

Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

The fact that this was easy did not dampen my enjoyments one iota, so there! I just love Rufus’s style and always enjoy the Monday solve. Last in, just to be consistent with everyone else, was 25a, but I did have to look up the snail meaning. I loved 1a and declare that as my fave. Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for his usual amusing review.

Posted September 22, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Further to Daddy-Long-Legs, does anyone remember the book by Jean Webster? The movie starred Fred Astaire, can’t remember who played opposite him, I should google it. It was my Favourite book in my teenage years and a classic.

• Jane
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Don’t remember the book but I definitely remember the film. A young Leslie Caron – and all she saw in her younger years was the shadow of those long legs! Just how films should be (in my eyes!) – a beginning, a middle and a very satisfactory ending. Oh dear, I suspect that’s a vey ‘girly’ thing! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Ginny
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Yes. I also enjoyed reading it in my teenage years. I don’t know where the book went. It’s probably circulating for 1p on eBay now. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops. It’s only partially done as have been out all day/evening but I will enjoy resuming now and look forward to checking out the hints in due course, starting with 25a which has defied Wikipedia so far…

Posted September 22, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

I bought it for a sentimental re-read for 99 cents on Kindle! I wonder if I’ll be disappointed.

30. Walt
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Is it just me, but I always spelt 2d with an E? Or am I a complete fool lol!

• Hanni
      Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Not at all. I too thought it was an ‘e’.

• Walt
        Posted September 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

That’s good! Thought I was nuts hehe!

Posted September 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Clever clues, expertly put together.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

32. Tstrummer
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Jolly Monday fun, with no hiccups for me. Thanks as usual to Rufus and to MP for the Boss video – never seen him play a 12-string electric before 1*/3*

33. Michael Watson
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in theAdriatic – Chuchills Iron Cutain speech
    Us old folk had no problem with 22D

34. Owdoo
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Not quite a write in, but close.
    It started with a smile as 1a seemed very topical given the number of them that we’ve had in our house recently.
    25a was last in for me too.
    1*/3*
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

35. Hrothgar
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Completely stumped by 25a but my mind was working on another word for a spiral staircase. So, sort of on the same wave length. Had no idea the word referred to snails.
    Many thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

36. Dick
    Posted September 23, 2014 at 12:27 am | Permalink

The missus had done most of it by the time I got a look in and I enjoyed cleaning up the bits while watching Derren Brown on TV. I thought it a nice start to the week as always with Rufus.