Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs in the still United Kingdom on a dull, grey morning.

I fairly rattled through today’s Giovanni, only coming into ** territory because I had one letter wrong in 16d and had to go back to correct it. But then I knew the French word which makes up part of 25a and the vessel in 4d.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Wolves? You couldn’t call them soccer players! (4)
PACK – because this is a term applied to rugby forwards.

3a           I need franc changed — must be given new money (10)
REFINANCED – Anagram (changed) of I NEED FRANC.

9a           Cry making contact, having wasted time (4)
OUCH – Remove the initial T (having wasted time) from a word meaning contact, to get this cry of pain.

10a         Following agreement, what Parisian will get involved? (10)
CONSEQUENT – The French for ‘what’ or ‘that’ inside an agreement.

11a         Tabloid’s monetary fund is something astronomical (7)
SUNSPOT – The title of one of Murdoch’s papers, with the ‘s from the clue, followed by a fund of money such as may be found at stake in a hand of poker.

13a         Growing good fruit to begin with (7)
RAISING – A piece of dried fruit followed by Good.

14a         Do they also have night vision? (11)
DAYDREAMERS – Cryptic definition of people who have visions but not at night.

18a         Visits planet and disappears (4,2,5)
GOES TO EARTH – The planet being our own.

21a         Sinatra upset member of royal family once (7)
TSARINA – Anagram (upset) of SINATRA.

22a         Drunk at this location offers defiant message (2,5)
SO THERE – A three-letter word for a drunk, followed by ‘at this location’.

23a         Cinema she’d done up, given modern equipment maybe (10)
MECHANISED – Anagram (done up) of CINEMA SHE’D.

24a         Female leading ancient church congregation (4)
FOLD – An abbreviation for Female followed by a word for ancient.

25a         Fish swirls by discharge (6,4)
CONGER EELS – A relatively uncommon word of French origin for discharge or dismissal, followed by a word meaning swirls or staggers.

26a         Label attached to the back of this animal (4)
STAG – The final letter of thiS followed by a label.

1d           After game see team somewhere by the water (8)
POOLSIDE – A table game often played in pubs followed by another word for a sports team.

2d           City types liable to lose their aspiration (8)
COCKNEYS – A mildly cryptic definition of those inhabitants of London who always drop their Hs in crosswordland.

4d           Vessel to be raised, having covered bottom of sea (1-4)
E-BOAT – Reverse ‘TO BE’ from the clue and insert the last letter of seA, to get this World War II German naval craft.

5d           Rebel in south, pressing (9)
INSURGENT – Put together IN (from the clue), South, and w word for ‘pressing’.

6d           Right away, obtains a bit of money, as one falling into line (11)
ACQUIESCENT – Remove the R (right away) from a word meaning ‘obtains’ and add a small American or Euro coin.

7d           Minister in Magic Circle? (6)
CLERIC – Anagram (magic) of CIRCLE.

8d           Advanced years of magistrate receiving cheers (6)
DOTAGE – The former chief magistrate of Venice, with a word meaning ‘cheers’ or ‘thank you’ inside it.

12d         Voyage here and there as green pirate at sea (11)
PEREGRINATE – Anagram (at sea) of GREEN PIRATE.

15d         Chemical came with a diet specially formulated (9)
ACETAMIDE – Anagram (specially formulated) of CAME and A DIET.

16d         Discharged, left place exempt from duties (4,4)
FREE PORT – One who has been discharged or let out, followed by the nautical word for left.

17d         One could make hog speed? A different animal, more like! (8)
SHEEPDOG – Anagram (could make) of HOG SPEED, giving a creature which makes another farm animal run.

19d         Bill catches cat, one power-driven somehow (6)
ATOMIC – A male cat and the Roman numeral for one inside an abbreviation for a bill.

20d         Dance suggested by Tintin? (6)
CANCAN – Another word for tin, repeated.

22d         Very good little son? Fancy that! (5)
SWELL – An abbreviation (little) for Son followed by an exclamation like ‘Fancy that!’

The Quick Crossword pun MAINE + RODE = MAIN ROAD

1. George
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

A good challenge today – not helped by my having Daytripper for14a for a while- until I realised what 15d must be. A bit slow this morning!

2*/4* I would say.

• Caroline
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

You’re lucky. I had deerstalker! I managed to make it fit the clue with some warped lateral thinking!

Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

1.5*/3.5*. This was the best Friday puzzle that I can remember, and, although it was relatively straightforward, I really enjoyed it.

I was helped by long distant memories of a friend at university who used to irritate everyone by his ceaseless use of the answer to 18d. How anyone could possibly drop that word frequently into a conversation remains a mystery to me!

The first five letters of my answer to 26a were a new foreign word to me and I needed the BRB to check how they related to “discharge”.

2d was my favourite.

Many thanks to Giovanni; and to DT for his review and whose help I needed to understand the wordplay for my answer to 8d. I kicked myself when I read it, having visited the Doge’s palace in Venice earlier this year.

P.S. Thank goodness that for crossword purposes we won’t have to relearn the definitions for the United Kingdom and Great Britain.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Whoops – I just spotted a typo. I meant the ceaseless use of 12d!

3. neveracrossword
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I seem to recall that “prendre conge anglais” means to take French leave!

• Deep Threat
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I think that’s “filer à l’anglais”.

4. BigBoab
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Not my favourite type of crossword as there were too many anagrams for my personal taste, having said that I found it fairly tricky and reasonably enjoyable. Thanks to Giovanni and to DT for a most amusing review. The Firefly toughie has even more anagrams than this one.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

It was a bit trickier than 2* for me – more like a 3* and the same for enjoyment.
    I didn’t know the French bit of 25a but it’s in the BRB so it wasn’t really a problem.
    I was slow to get 10a and 6d but once one was solved the other was easier because of the Q.
    12 and 15d were both new words for me but they were also both anagrams so not too difficult.
    I liked 14 and 18a and 5d. I suspect that I don’t need to tell anyone what my favourite was but if it hadn’t been that one it would have been 20d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.
    Very grey and mizzley in Oxford.

6. Miffypops
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I too put daytripper on the first pass but knocked it out when the anagram fodder for 15d did not contain a P. No problems other than that. A pleasant excursion for which I thank The Don. Back to reality today but we have the dream team on the bar tonight (Ryan and Annnie) so I should be able to re acquaint myself with fine real ale and plenty of it. See you on Monday.

7. Collywobbles
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle with much enjoyment. Many thanks Giovani and DT for the hints which were useful for reference. I thought that 22d was a bit ‘iffy as a clue.

I voted ‘Yes’ and I am gutted, and I’m English

• Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think ex-pat Scots were enfranchised, let alone ex-pats from elsewhere in the UK.

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 19, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

‘Oops I’m exposed. I just wanted some of the Barnett Formula money back

8. Poppy
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Had a mad moment by putting ‘insistent’ for 5d (well I thought that could be someone pressing!) so got stuck on 13a as a result. So thank you DT for pulling me out of that mire, and thank you setter for an enjoyable tussle. 2d was last in as I spent ages trying to find a city to fit. Tomatoes cleared away and winter pansies cheering the view..Poppy didn’t enjoy the thunderstorm last night, but otherwise is bouncing back to health. Greetings to all .http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

9. Dutch
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I entered a vessel beginning with a U, looking at the (1-4) instead of the clue. Then I realised U did not feature in the 3a anagram. Had never heard of the right vessel. Fairly quick solve, I liked 25a remembering conge means leave, but I had to look up doge.

thanks you setter and deep threat

• Brian
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

E boats were a lethal force used by the Germans for cross channel raids in WW2 and were responsible for chaos and destruction to the U.S. forces practising for D Day.

• Brian
        Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

When I first put this comment in, the iPad wanted to insert cross Chanel raids, I know Coco was formidable but that’s just ridiculous!

10. Hanni
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

***/*** today. I certainly didn’t find it easy! I also put daytripper in. Couldn’t see 16d for what seemed like an age and started 1d with ‘post….’ something or other. Got there in the end though I think might be in the minority of liking anagrams. Good Friday fun. 12d and 25a being my favourites. Thank you to Giovanni and Deep Threat. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Quite straightforward for a Giovanni. Never come across conge before but you can usually rely on the Don to come up with a strange word!
    Only one cleric(al) clue today for which I offer up my personal thanks and a super clue I thought in 20d.
    He has, as oft times before, rescued me from yesterday’s depression.
    Many thanks to the Don and to DT for explaining conge. :-)

12. stanXYZ
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

“Conge” en français!

Zut alors!

13. Beaver
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

After yesterdays ‘brain fryer’ this was a relative cakewalk, none the less enjoyable. Going for 1.5*/3.5* like Rabbit Dave, don’t usually do halfs but seemed right today.
    21A a clever anagram and remembered the craft in 4D.,used to have a model one in my bath when I was young-used to sink the duck!

14. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

A **/*** for me. 18a threw me for a while as I used the past participle of the first word which confounded the anagram in 15d. I got 25a but to me that’s a plural and the clue is singular. Anyway, got there eventually although needed DT’s explanation for 8d which I couldn’t fathom. Thanks to all.

• Deep Threat
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

‘Fish’ can be either singular or plural – like ‘sheep’.

• Corky
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I made the same mistake with 18A, making 15D pretty tricky.

Otherwise, a nice end to a hectic day at work.

Thanks all.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. I found this very tricky, had free post for 16d & sweet for 22d, but hadn’t heard of “conge”, so would never have got 25a. A new word in 12d, managed to get it somehow from the anagram fodder. Was 3*/3* for me. Had to dash and bring the washing in, just before the thunderstorm got going http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

16. Annidrum
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle as I seemed to be on Giovanni’s wavelength today, a relief after yesterday’s struggle. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif Sensible result in the referendum and good for the whole of the UK, I think. I am Scottish .

Posted September 19, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I liked the Matt cartoon. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Annidrum
      Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Yes, me too Kath, http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Me too

• Catnap
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Me too, Kath. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I was hoping it just wasn’t me that found this very tricky, but that seems to be the case. I just could not get on Giovanni’s wavelength today at all. I finally managed to get it done, except for 2D, and then couldn’t see why I had such trouble. Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

Was up at 3:30 AM Eastern Standard Time to see the results. Very pleased. The Union Jack flies in my Maryland back garden all year round.

19. Derek
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Super fare from The Don!
    Faves : 1a, 11a, 14a, 25a, 1d, 15d, 16d & 19d.

Had my right eye laser-treated this afternoon – what an improvement in vision – so looking forward to having left eye done next week!

Weather still good here in NL.

20. Jane
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Not one of my favourites. 12 and 15d would have been blanks if they hadn’t been anagrams, never heard of a conge or the 4d boat so both were ‘bung it in’. Had Daybreakers for 14a (vampire film, seemed to answer the clue!) but got away with it as it didn’t mess up any other answers. Fav. was 22a.
    After a Ray T yesterday, this one left me a bit sad. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif
    Thanks to DT for making sense of the answers!

Posted September 19, 2014 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Yes – I’m with you on the http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif.
      I also agree that anagrams are either life lines or life savers – maybe there’s no difference.

21. Ally
    Posted September 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I too was stuck on 4d and 25a and again needed the anagrams to get going. Favourites were 12d and 18a. I notice that 13a is also in the crossword in The Week today.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you DG for an enjoyable puzzle which we part solved on the long drive back from Scotland. Needed some electronic help and the dictionary for the unusual words, so sorted when we got home. Thanks DT for your review and hints which I needed to explain one or two things.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

We seem to have had the same difficulties as most others with the type of craft in 3a and the discharge in 25a being the hold-up points. Good puzzle, pleasant solve.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle, but perhaps on the gentle side for a Friday, which l’d rate at about 2*/4*. 10a and 6d were my pick of the clues. My thanks to Giovanni, and to DT for the review.

25. Catnap
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Thank you, Giovanni. I enjoyed this! Fave was 20d, closely followed by 14a (when the penny eventually dropped that it wasn’t ‘daytrippers’, which, fortunately, I hadn’t written into the grid). Also singled out 11a, 22a, 6d and 19d amongst others.

I found a mixed level of difficulty — some very easy clues, and some were distinctly tricky. I had the answer to 1d, but didn’t quite know why. I couldn’t parse 25a. Many thanks, Deep Threat, for enlightenment and an excellent review.