Prize Puzzle – September 2014

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 28 (September 2014)

Latitude by Alchemi

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive a copy of Chambers XWD – A Dictionary of Crossword Abbreviations.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (20th September 2014).

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

Posted September 6, 2014 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Ooh, I just loved this! Thanks, Alchemi! My hear sank at first when I read the instructions because place names are not my strong point, but it was all very doable. I really liked 19A and 12D, but 13D was the absolute runaway favorite for me. Still have the hard part to do, and I think I may have to enlist the help of Mr. Expat who likes that kind of exercise.

2. KiwiColin
    Posted September 6, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Have to agree with Expat Chris that it was a lot of fun and that the stand out favourite is 13d. Needed Google help to find the answer and guess that everyone else will need it too.
    Thanks Alchemi.

3. stanXYZ
    Posted September 6, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

A really enjoyable puzzle from Alchemi – Off to consult an Atlas.

Strangely, KiwiColin & Expat Chris have both nominated 13d as their favourite – it’s the only one missing from my grid. Oh! Well!

Posted September 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

And Expat Chris really liked 19a and it’s my only answer that I don’t understand although I’m pretty sure it’s right.

Posted September 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I agree with Expat Chris and 1Kiwi – lots of fun and not as tricky as Alchemi can be sometimes.
    I liked 10, 14 and 22a and 13d. 9a made me laugh and is my favourite.
    I needed help to get the actual answer but there’s nowhere to put it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    Thanks for the entertainment, Alchemi – however do you keep coming up with these?

Posted September 6, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Alchemi provides at least three puzzles a week – some themed and some not.

• KiwiColin
      Posted September 6, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Kath to submit your answer you have to click on the puzzle to open it and the entry form is at the bottom of that page. I assume that is what you meant when you said you had the answer but nowhere to put it. Cheers.

Posted September 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

So I do! Thank you – I always thought that it was at the bottom of the comments. Just goes to show how often I’ve ever got the answer and submitted it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

5. Werm
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

BD, you were kind enough to give me a link to your index to print NTSPP and Rookie Corner, could you please do the same for the Prize puzzle as I cannot access here.

Thanks

6. RobF
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Didn’t get started until yesterday evening and finished tonight after work whilst watching the England game, so pleased with having completed it in two (albeit longish) sessions and with the football result.

A very enjoyable and clever puzzle so thanks to Alchemi and to BD as always. Like others my favourite was 13d which made me giggle out loud and as with Kath on 19a I’m not 100% sure as to the wordplay, but was able to determine the hidden question and hopefully the correct answer anyway.

7. Rahmat Ali
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I am from Kolkata, India and this was my first attempt at Big Dave. Thanks to Alchemi. It was very interesting. Finished within *******, except 10a and 13d, which took me two days to finalise, although I’m still not sure whether my answer to 10a would match with Alchemi’s solution. My favourites were 12d and 18d.

Posted September 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Rahmat Ali.
      I’ve edited your comment because we don’t like quoting solving times here.