Sloggers & Betters (Sheffield)
Saturday 26th October 2013
+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +
I’d like to invite you all to a party that I’m organising at the Sheffield Tap on Saturday, October 26th. The excuse (who really needs one?) is that I shall be celebrating the slightly ripe middle age of 50, and I’d like as many friends as possible to be there!
The Sheffield Tap is a pub which specialises in a large variety of ales, lagers, ciders, wines, etc, etc. It is conveniently situated alongside Platform 1b at Sheffield Railway Station, so the only “crawl” involved for those of us who live in London will be getting across the bridge at the end of the day to catch the “up” train in the evening. I plan to be there with puzzles as close as possible to 10am, the pub’s opening time, but you are cordially invited to drop in whenever suits you, up until about 7pm.
There will be some sort of buffet, probably about £5-8 a head, but I’ll let you know as arrangements progress. For now, there’s a date for your diary, and I’d like to know probable numbers, so if you could express the likelihood of your attendance below, that would be great.
Bear in mind that there will be an extra hour’s recovery time that night: I was born in the hour that either doesn’t exist, or recurs: I’ve never been able to work it out…
John Henderson aka Elgar/Enigmatist/Nimrod/Io
Update 16th August 2013
Looks like it’s all coming together, folks. I’ve booked The Brewery Room in the Sheffield Tap for 100 people. The buffet menus look excellent, too…but which to choose? They range from a fiver per person for a Continental meat and cheese platter through a Ploughman’s Platter (£7), a wide variety of sandwiches with quiches and fruit (£7.50), “Pie & Peas” (choose your own pie, £9), and a “Classic Finger Buffet” (£11.50) to the Hot (pork) Joint Menu (£12). But we can choose pretty much what we want and they’ll price it accordingly. I’ll probably go for the £7.50 version below, though the pies option is tempting because they come with Henderson’s Relish.
- Selection of Sandwiches, with various fillings on brown and white bread.
- Honey Roast Ham and Mustard
- Chicken Tikka
- Egg Mayonnaise
- Mature Cheddar and Pickle
- Tuna Mayonnaise and Sweetcorn
- Houmous, Red Onion Chutney and Rocket
- Roasted Pepper, Goats Cheese and Pesto
- Selection of Vegetarian and Meat Quiches
- Bowl of Fresh Fruit
- Selection of Mini Pastries
How does that suit? And is the price OK?
Update 23rd October 2013 from Jetdoc (Jane Teather)
Two points for those of you who will be there:
1. There will be people there who know each other via websites etc, but have never met face-to-face. So there will be a supply of name badges and marker pens somewhere near the door. Please take one, and add your name (and pseudonym if applicable)… and, of course, wear it. If you already have a suitable name badge from another occasion, you can bring that.
2. Rather than people buying rounds (which maximises the risk of John feeling obliged to accept potentially fatal amounts of alcohol, as well as meaning some people end up spending far more than others), it makes sense for people to contribute to a whip. What we’ll probably do is put a card behind the bar to guarantee a tab, and collect cash from individuals. It’s up to you how much you put in, as long as it will cover what you yourself consume (and you can, of course, elect to opt out altogether if you prefer). Our friend Dave Lavan will probably be the one collecting the cash; we’ll let you know on the day what the exact arrangements are. Any finds left over after paying the tab will be carried over to Sunday.
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!
Contact form no longer available