DT 27211 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27211 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

3a           Small convenient drink (6)
S(mall) followed by an adjective meaning convenient

6a           Ostentation shown by British page (4)
The Australian slang for British followed by P(age)

9a           Star Scottish footballer gets red card (3,2,6)
What could be the top player from a bankrupt Edinburgh football club is actually a red playing card

10a         Olympic winner to catch impressionist (5)
A charade of the first name of a winner of two Olympic titles and a verb meaning to catch gives this popular impressionist painter

16a         Type inclined to have attraction to adventurous girl mostly (6)
The two-letter word meaning sexual attraction, which should be familiar to regular solvers by now, followed by most of the name of the girl who had Adventures in Wonderland

22a         How Oliver was portrayed in battle, unlikely to hold beach (5,3,3)
How Oliver Cromwell requested that he be portrayed by Sir Peter Lely is derived from a battle and an adjective meaning unlikely, as in an unlikely story, around a beach

Oliver Cromwell

27a         Dressing, being given attire in new fashion (11)
An anagram (in new fashion) of  GIVEN ATTIRE

30a         One stinging nettle finally confused with thorn (6)
An anagram (confused) of the final letter of nettlE and THORN

1d           Judgment after temper’s raised (4)
Reverse(raised in a down clue)  a word meaning temper or disposition

2d           Defensive batsman, one playing for time with one wicket in hand (11)
Someone who is playing for time by delaying around ONE and W(icket)

3d           Grandeur of railways in USA (11)
Some railways inside a colloquial word for the USA

5d           Lower classes intended resistance (8)
The two lower socio-economic classes followed by someone who is intended to become a husband

6d           Factory to design vintage model of car (5)
A verb meaning to design followed by the model of car that could be purchased in any colour – so long as it’s black!

7d           Test to following golden rule (5)
A vehicle test with TO following it

12d         In the present month, all fellows will take time setting up in office (11)
The term for the present month used in business correspondence followed by ALL, some fellows and T(ime)

21d         Box with ‘far, far better’ character (6)
The name of the character from A Tale of Two Cities who said “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known”

26d         Take note of that man Miliband (4)
The male pronoun (that man) followed by the first name of the current Leader of the Opposition

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

PLEASE DON’T PUT WHOLE OR PARTIAL ANSWERS OR ALTERNATIVE CLUES IN YOUR COMMENT, ELSE THEY MAY BE CENSORED!

The Quick crossword pun: (reign} + {beaux} = {rainbows}

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

For me, this was one of those where I only had a tick (like) against two clues (19A and 6D) and a definite ‘ugh!’ against 6A! Maybe I’m grumpy because it’s Saturday, going to be a stunning day, and I have to work. Maybe it’s because I have an aversion to cricket clues. Finished without hints, with 2D and 19A last two in. 22A took some time to sort out the word play. Still, as always I do appreciate all the setters and also BD for the nice early review.

2. Mike in Amble
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Excellent weekend fare from today’s compiler (I can never say with certainty who it is) especially as the quickie is themed . Thanks as usual BD and setter.

• Amanda
      Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I just ‘got’ the quickie theme (d’oh!). Thanks for pointing that out as I am too stupid to see it on my own.

• Heno
      Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I got the theme ok, but am stuck on 7d, any help would be appreciated.

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

You may have spelt beaux incorrectly!

• stanXYZ
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

The Quickie (so no danger of being sent to the Naughty Corner)

Heno, how do you spell Beaus or is it Beaux?

Why are there brackets in 11a – Urge (on)??

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Beaux has already been given as part of the Quickie pun!

• Heno
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave, I did !

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

So did I at first! Chambers gives both.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, glad to finish before The Lions. Thank you BD for your hints. TV on ready to go ! Enjoyed the puzzle – 6a seems appropriate – again !

4. Amanda
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I was held up for a while in the NW corner. Even though I like cricket, I wasn’t familiar with this meaning of 2d. I had the answer to 10a but needed the hint to see why it was right (there is another impressionist painter who would fit). First in 3a, last in 1d.
    I thought this was a delightful puzzle. My favourite clue was 16a.
    **/**** for me. Thanks to setter and to BD for the early hints.
    We are having younger son’s 15th birthday party at home this afternoon. Thus far the weather is not very promising; let’s hope the sunny intervals become a bit longer later on!

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

**/*** for me today. Completed without hints but needed them to understand the wordplay for 22a and 21d.

Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

• jezza
      Posted June 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

The wordplay at 21d confused me as well, despite having read the book at school.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Who can forget “tis a far, far better thing I do …”

• jezza
          Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

I did :)

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Me too!

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

. . . and I just didn’t know rather than had forgotten. I confess to complete ignorance.

6. angel
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

*/** for me, as is often the case with Saturday’s offering, no real challenge and not much amusement. However, presumably means DT gets lots of names, addresses and e-mails!

7. mary
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Morning Dave I found this tough today and wouldn’t have finished without your help, thank you, I know I should have known or remembered 22a but I didn’t! a few I liked today but no real favourites, not a nice day here spells of blue sky but mostly cloud and showers, other half along with stepson no 2 and wife are watching the Lions in other room from the cheering and clapping I guess they are doing ok

8. Colmce
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Not my favourite crossword of the week, found it a bit stodgy and bitty. However managed to finish without hints.

Thanks for the review and to the setter.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A brilliant puzzle to brighten up a dull day. Too many great clues to mention, so stand out favourite was 9a. My main difficulty was getting the correct spelling for 27a. Some very clever clues with great surface readings. Was 2*/4* for me.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Good to see a picture of Trevor “Barnacle” Bailey for 2d, so nicknamed as the opposition always had to winkle him out. I believe he held or still holds the record for the longest innings of nought not out.

11. Caravaggio
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I managed to finish the puzzle before the rugby started and I was grateful for one particular hint, Dave, which enabled me to do so. The Lions have won but it was too close for comfort and our boys will have to be careful about giving away penalties in their own half of the field…

12. MikeT
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Still puzzled by the wordplay for 23D – although I think my answer is correct. Can I have a hint please?

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

If you put the abbreviation for CAL(ifornia) in front of your answer, does the penny drop?

• MikeT
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

The penny dropped, with a great big clang! Many thanks – it was bugging me.

13. neveracrossword
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

23d-type clues seem to be in vogue.

14. weekendwanda
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Thank you setter and Dave. Did not need the hints but an interesting solve. First one in was 20a and I was grateful for the church clues. All those years at Sunday School paid off. Many good clues (does this grid need more than average to fill it?), I picked out 9a and 5 7 and 21d. I came to a halt this morning leaving unfilled 16 and 19a and 2d, Came back to it this afternoon and got the two across clues straightaway and then had to puzzle a little longer over this one but soon got it as I now had two extra letters to help me.

15. Derek
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

A nice Saturday puzzle.

My faves : 9a, 22a, 2d & 13d.

The summer solstice brought us a lot of rain here in NL.

30a was a laugh!

16. Collywobbles
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable, as usual. Thanks to setter and to BD.
    The rugby was not impressive. Let’s hope for improvement next week

17. mary
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Kath and sue are absent today without having requested time off!!

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Really sorry! Here now, just about – suffering from far too much to do and not nearly enough time to do it all. :sad:
      Fetched plastered (as in leg rather than pissed) daughter from London yesterday – traffic was terrible and had an ‘interesting’ conversation with a traffic warden.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, I hope no ticket?

Posted June 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

No – he saw it my way! Actually that is really unfair – I parked somewhere that I shouldn’t have done and saw him just arriving so went and apologised really politely (you could even say that I grovelled) and explained that daughter was in plaster and on crutches and couldn’t walk very far and I’d be really quick etc etc. He just said “Madam, take your time – you’re OK here”. Sweet. I’m beginning to have to revise my opinions on traffic wardens – that is the third decent one that I’ve had dealings with in the last six years.

• mary
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Forgiven :-) seems like you are going to be stressed out for a while, I had an argument with a ginormous tractor/trailer yesterday who came through red lights on roadworks whilst I had gone on the green light, I stood my ground so to speak for about 30 seconds and very unwillingly reversed to let him through! I am not ashamed to say that as he passed me, my gesture to him was less than polite!

• Tantalus
          Posted June 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

so have you adopted the single digit version?

Posted June 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I reckon if they’re bigger than you you give in!!

This is the fate of Nathaniel Day
          Who died maintaining his right of way
          He was right, oh yes, as he drove along
          But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong

Something my Dad used to drum into us when he was teaching us to drive.

• mary
            Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

:-)

Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Gosh! In England? I always thought the lorry drivers were so polite whenever I’ve been there. A far cry from here, and Florida the takes first place in the US. I hope we are not teaching them a trick or two

• jezza
          Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

When I used to work at an accountancy firm in Baker Street, London, one of my friends told me what apparently was a true story…
          He was driving home late one night, in the early hours of the morning after too much to drink, and having missed his exit on a quiet residential roundabout, decided to stop and reverse to his exit. A car behind went into the back of him, a police patrol car in the area turned up at the same time, and spoke to the driver of the car behind him for several minutes. My friend sitting in the car, eating peppermints, was extremely relieved when the policeman came to him and said..
          ‘the driver of the car behind you has had too much to drink tonight, and is claiming your car was driving towards him in reverse!’ Only one driver was breathalysed.. not my friend!

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

We grew up in an old farm house which was about a 100 yards off a tiny road not much wider than single track – about a couple of miles from where BD lives. Everyone knew that you had to drive pretty slowly. One evening my Dad was driving down there and going over a railway bridge – it’s a really sharp corner. He was going slowly but met a nutter going very fast and right in the middle of the road. They both braked and stopped within feet, if not inches, of each other. Dad got out of his car and asked the other driver if he was on the right road for Upton. The other bloke, somewhat surprised I suppose, replied that he was. Dad then said “Well then would you mind frightfully if I had a little bit of it”!

Posted June 23, 2013 at 2:41 am | Permalink

I loved it! Why can’t I think of answers like that.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Had no problem with this and thoroughly enjoyed. I needed explanation for 9a but I knew it would be a local name, the red card meant it couldn’t be anything else. I remember our art teacher telling us to paint 22a, so who can forget. Good fun, thanks BD and setter.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I was slow to start with this one – don’t know why – didn’t have time to look at yesterday’s crossword so perhaps even one day without doing one has an effect.
    I thought there were quite a few sporting clues and, as everyone knows by now, I’m not much good with them. Most of the clues seemed quite short.
    I needed the hint to understand my answer for 21d. Like Heno I had a certain amount of trouble spelling 27a and it had already taken me ages to think of the right kind of dressing. Untangling 17a took some time too. I wasn’t very sure about 8a being a crew. 19a also took a while – couldn’t get beyond the usual two letter abbreviation of Saint.
    I liked 6, 16 and 29a and 2 (even though it’s cricket) 3, 14 and 26d.
    With thanks to the setter and to BD.
    Off to get yet another load of washing off the line and then going to do yesterday’s crossword and have a go at NTSPP.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Really really struggling with the bottom left of this one and there are no hints for that bit. Any chance of some help with 15d? Thx.

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

15d It’s puzzling to put together dances with a wife (6)
      Some dances followed by the A from the clue and W(ife)

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Sorry BD.

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Two replies are better than none!

• Brian
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Thx, so obvious i could kick myself.
        Took two sessions but completed it. Best clue was for me 4d, obvious but raised a smile. :-)
        Someone at the DT must have been listening yesterday, TWO sporting clues! Embarass de Richesse.
        Thx to all concerned for a fun effort.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I made it three sporting clues.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian – 15d – the definition is something that is puzzling to put together. You want a four letter word for dances, often, to me anyway, associated with Ireland and Scotland followed by the ‘a’ from the clue and a one letter abbreviation for wife.

22. Tantalus
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Late start for Mrs T and I… but soldiered thru on a pleasant morning here in Boston. Thanks to Setter, and BD & the Cryptognomes as usual. Most enjoyable – favorite was the red card – nice deception.

Interesting that Mrs T has forgotten all those lyrical Scottish names – she probably wasn’t paying enough attention during the pools draw. Do you still have the pools?

Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I had forgotten those! My Mum used to do them in Jamaica and won bits and pieces from time to time. I think she had to stop when Jamaica became independent and she had currency problems. Long time ago!

• Tantalus
        Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

It was the way the Len Martin read the results that I remember…. the meter and tone was almost soporific. “Cowdenbeath 2 (pause) Forfar 3” . As kids we always used to try to guess the second score based on the pitch of the reader.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Yes, Mum used to listen on our short-wave radio, which we had so that we could listen to the BBC and get English news.

• Arthur Dent
          Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if my memory is playing tricks, or if it’s just apocryphal, but I seem to remember from my youth hearing the score:
          “Forfar 4 , Fife 5”

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I think it was East Fife, but I remember the same story.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I remember listening to Sports Report as a child and thinking that the Scottish teams had far more interesting names than the ones in England. I particularly remember Hamilton Academicals, Queen of the South and Partick Thistlenil.

23. Kevin (don't ask!)
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Love the limerick, Kath! Limping along extremely slowly with the crossword, as per usual! got the dickens clue, but otherwise relying heavily on the hints.

Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Not sure that it was, strictly speaking, a limerick but glad that you like whatever it was! I now know better than to ask, Kevin!! :smile:

24. Kingsley
    Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Finished it – without the Hints! But needed the Hints to understand the first bit of 16a, the logic in the clue for 22a and the explanation of 5d. I could not find the answer to 19a in my dictionary and I had some doubts about the answer to 12d which I have never seen spelled with a double ** (my asterisks!)
    (I would guess that the compiler is a good Anglican!)

*Just checked with Google which tells me that the double ** spelling is American

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Both Chambers and the ODE agree with you. American spellings are usually indicated as such. There is an archaic UK word, but its meaning is slightly different.

25. frederick
    Posted June 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I am so glad that everyone found 19a a piece of cake – but I am choking on it. I am sure being cash rich is not the answer.Could do with a bit of help.

Posted June 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog frederick.

19a Saint’s given foreign church prominence (8)

A single-letter abbreviation for saint is followed by an adjective meaning foreign and a 2-character abbreviation for church.

26. una
    Posted June 23, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Just finished this puzzle. Rather late , I know,but I was away from cyber space until a few hours ago. I got the right answer for 29 across (from submit) but I don’t understand it and can’t find it in my Chambers. Anybody got any clues ?

27. Ernest Rutherford
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

29a is a name – from another verb for dashed around y from yard.

• una
      Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Thanks !

28. Bob
    Posted June 28, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Just picked up last weeks crssword in a vain attempt to finish it and amazingly with some success. However stuck with 29a which is causing me some grief. Can anyone assist before tomorrows task arrives.

• Posted June 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Bob

There was some help in the earlier comments.

29a Boy dashed round yard (4)
      This is one of my least-favourite clues – I don’t like girls’ and boys’ names as solutions in cryptic crosswords. This one is derived by putting a verb meaning dashed or raced around Y(ard)

29. Bob
    Posted June 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Got it now. Awful clue was looking for a word meaning dashed with a boys name around Y. Thanks should have seen the connection. Ready now for tomorrow’s challenge.

30. Andrea
    Posted June 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

You lot are so clever. I wish now I’d spent
    more time learning tips and tricks from
    my (late) father. I am happy, nay grateful to learn from BD however, the Daddy of
    Crosswords.