Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs where we have a bright start to the day.

As usual with Giovanni, some uncommon words very fairly clued, but no particular difficulties otherwise.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

1a           Secret needle like this has been lifted (3,3,6)
OFF THE RECORD – If you lift a gramophone needle it is …

8a           Small organisms Georgia found in drink (5)
ALGAE – The abbreviation for the US state inside an alcoholic drink.

9a           Outside church Daniel chewed a bit of food (9)
ENCHILADA – Anagram (chewed) of DANIEL, wrapped around an abbreviation for church, and followed by A from the clue.

11a         Sound of tongue, say, getting salt (9)
TUNGSTATE – A homophone (sound of) of tongue followed by a word for ‘say’, giving a chemical salt (which I’d never heard of before today).

12a         Bill Hill seen as an insincere type? (5)
ACTOR – An abbreviation for a tradesman’s bill, followed by a hill in Devon, for example.

13a         Hostile row backed by others? (5,4)
FRONT LINE – Cryptic definition of the point of contact with opposing forces in a battle.

16a         Restricted round end of semester, being examined (5)
TRIED – Put the last letter of semesteR inside a word meaning restricted or bound.

18a         Housed, but not in the basement? (3,2)
PUT UP – A temporary housing arrangement sounds as though it may be in the higher reaches of the property.

19a         Bent administration (9)
DIRECTION – Double definition, the first being a noun meaning tendency or inclination.

20a         One banished from English team starts to look exasperated (5)
EXILE – Put together English, the Roman numeral for the number of players in a cricket team, and the initial letters (starts) of Look and Exasperated.

22a         Series of questions schematic in arrangement (9)
CATECHISM – Anagram (in arrangement) of SCHEMATIC.

25a         Sink to the depths and administer corporal punishment (3,6)
HIT BOTTOM – This metaphor for reaching a low point could also be what Mr Quelch did when he had Billy Bunter bent over (stop sniggering at the back, there!).

26a         Grotesque act of sycophant I criticise (5)
ANTIC – Hidden in (of) the clue.

27a         Need for cadet to be trained in civil war group? (12)
CONFEDERATED – Anagram (to be trained) of NEED FOR CADET.

1d           High notes coming from here in church? (5,4)
ORGAN LOFT – Cryptic definition of a high place in a church from which music may emanate.

2d           Insects loud above meadows (5)
FLEAS – The musical symbol for loud followed by some meadows.

3d           Animal hospital burning — initial hint of arson? (5)
HYENA – Put together the abbreviation for Hospital, a burning desire, and the first letter (initial hint) of Arson.

4d           Dodgy dealer always introduced by big noise (9)
RACKETEER – A loud and discordant noise followed by a poetic word for always.

5d           Ending of weather pattern with cold coming in (9)
CLIMACTIC – Put Cold inside a word relating to weather patterns, to get a word relating to the ending of a drama.

6d           Soldiers going up a street get very hot (5)
ROAST – Reverse (going up, in a Down clue) the usual abbreviation for soldiers who are not officers, then add A (from the clue) and an abbreviation for STreet.

7d           Type of word that contributes to an oration (4,2,6)
PART OF SPEECH – Noun, verb and adjective are all examples of this – or it could be a paragraph in a longer discourse.

10d         Branch of study that could help high-level management (12)
AERODYNAMICS – A science which contributes to the understanding of how to fly a plane.

14d         Given dope and dumped? (6,3)
TIPPED OFF – The dope here is information.

15d         Order I did enact as shown (9)
INDICATED – Anagram (order) of I DID ENACT.

17d         One fool, one an old rocker brought into club? (9)
INITIATED – Put together the Roman numeral for one, a fool, another Roman numeral for one, A (from the clue) and a 1950s rocker.

21d         Church anthem not with it — jazzy piece wanted (5)
INTRO – Remove the IT (not with it) from the end of an entrance antiphon sung in church.

23d         Embraced by sailor this person becomes more submissive (5)
TAMER – Another way of saying ‘this person’ inside one of the usual sailors.

24d         Talk about minister’s latest plan (5)
CHART – An informal talk with the final letter of ministeR put inside it.

The Quick Crossword pun BRAS + SILLIER = BRASILIA

Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Only one word I didn’t know but as you say, very fairly clued. Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

I am off to the office Christmas lunch in an hour so won’t be able to comment on the Toughie until much much later today (if at all!) but I would just say that it is definitely one I wouldn’t recommend that Brian tries!

• Brian
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

How very truehttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

• Hilary
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

The best office party I ever went to was on HMS Belfast moored on the RIver Thames, hope you had a super time and nobody did some inappropriate photocopying.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Apart from writing my answer to 9a in the space for 11a, no real difficulty today. Thanks to Giovanni, and to Deep Threat for the review.
    A few left in the toughie, which I will sweat over at the sauna later.

3. Spook
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle although had to resort to hints for 11a. Never heard of it one to store for later.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Thank you DG for an enjoyable puzzle, not too taxing and some new words. Thanks DT for your review and hints. Merry Christmas to you both and thanks for your hard work during the year.

Enjoy the office party CS. The very mention of it brings back memories of horror stories from the past !

Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

2*/4*. As someone who is never sure if what will turn up on a Friday will be to my liking, I was delighted to find today’s excellent offering!

I got off to a really bad start by putting in what was to me the blindingly obvious Choir Boys for 1d as my first answer. It seemed so good that I was certain that it was going to be my favourite. However when I got 2d, giving me C_F as an impossible first word for 1a, this required a rethink for 1d! That will teach me for trying to decide on a favourite after my first answer in.
    :wacko:

19a made me smile, and even the correct answer for 1d was worthy of a short list, but I’ll settle for 7d as my favourite.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

6. Beaver
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Torn between ** and ***,so a 2.5*,with *** for enjoyment ,lots of clever clues with a religious theme,27A a clever anagram and numerous excellent surface reads , Mr G on top form, helped being a chemist for 11A, thanks DT for the pics-took a while to work out 3D!

7. skempie
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Excellent offering from The Don today. Even though there was one word I had not heard of a couple I haven’t heard in a log time and one ‘bung it in’ everything was eminently solvable.
    Favourite today has to be 10D for its simplicity and mis19A.

Off for more cooking now – Ex-Sister-In-Law here this afternoon from NZ then lots of family turning up tomorrow followed by the Wife’s Birthday, The C word then my Birthday.

If I don’t make an appearance before, may I take this opportunity to wish a Very Merry Christmas to all the Setters, Bloggers, Solvers and Contributers.

• Miffypops
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Thank you. The same right back at you.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I agree with 2* and 3*.
    Along with most of the rest of the world I’d never heard of 11a but it wasn’t too difficult to make a guess and look it up – I do hope that doesn’t count as cheating – I don’t think it is as it’s how we learn new words.
    My last two in were 12a, having convinced myself that there had to be a word for a corrupt government, and 4d because I thought that an anagram of dealer (dodgy) was part of it. Oh dear!
    I liked 13 and 25a and 1 and 14d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat and a very happy Christmas to both of them and their families.
    Today is not going according to plan and I have a serious attack of pre-Christmas grumpiness. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Hilary
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Just think this time next week it will all be over, sending two virtual tissues and a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Posted December 19, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Hilary – please send more tissues . . .

• Hanni
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Oh Kath! I’m sorry you’ve had a bad day. Hopefully you’ll have a lovely weekend. Sending a rose and happy thoughts your way. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

9. Angel
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Lots to do so pleased this wasn’t too time-consuming. **/**. Thanks Giovanni and also DT without whom I’m pleased to have managed today. 11a a new one on me too but not too difficult to fathom thanks to the homophone part. For me not really any outstanding clues today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

10. Chris
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Smile of the day: 25a

11. Michael
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle, I understand it’s one of Giovanni’s – I’m trying to read his Chambers Cryptic Puzzle book at the moment – if you want something to get you to sleep….

Anyway, getting back to today’s offering – not too bad, I didn’t need the hints and only used my anagram program a couple of times – good for me!

Onward and upward – off to the O2 in a bit! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

12. George
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

This was pretty much a write in until I hit the church clues – as an non-believer, these always catch me out! I have never heard of the anthem in21d, although the answer was clear. Then I had to guess at 22a although the anagram was clear. So I learned a bit today. As a chemist, no troubles with11a though.

so I think 1*/4* would be my rating.

13. Vancouverbc
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

**/****. Very enjoyable and rewarding solve. Really liked 1, 9 & 11a. Thanks to the setter and DT for the review. Awake very early this morning so time for a cuppa and perhaps another 40 winks.

14. anoxic
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

For 10d I had astrophysics but got there in end

15. Miffypops
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I struggled along with this in a bitty sort of way and even resorted to pencil and paper for the anagram at 15 down (hangs head in shame). Thought of Rugby at 13ac when I fist read through at very early am but then forgot all about it when I woke up. Finally finished with the long 10d only to read DTs blog and realise I had not solved 22ac. Too late now..altogether though a very nicely put together puzzle so Thank you Giovanni. Thanks to to DT for reviewing it. Owdoo’s comment at thread 10 on page 2 of Falcons blog yesterday made me laugh out loud. Ta to all.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I figured out the salt eventually, since they all end in” ate” and we all know of the metal which used to be in incandescent light bulbs, but then I have an advantage.Otherwise , pleasant enough.One quibble , algae aren’t necessarily small, as the pic shows.Favourate 17d. Thanks Giovanni and DT.

17. SheilaP
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Well we finished today without recourse to the hints, but there were one or two shove ’em in and hope for the bests. Actually, we did need the hints to check the shove ’em in ones, but we were confident they were right, which they were. Doesn’t this sound very smug? Well it’s not really as I have to confess that we do always use some electronic help, ‘cos we’re not very good. Thank you to the Friday setter and to DT.

18. Chris
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Pleasant and do-able but not in the top echelon of enjoyment today; no reflection on Giovanni, but I never quite get on with his puzzles. 3*/3* for me. Many thanks to DG and DT.

19. Dutch
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Straightforward and enjoyable crossword today from the Don, many thanks.

Last one in was 1d, took me a while to get the second word even with checking letters.
    Favourites included 3a ( animal host pitfall arson story) and 25a for a charming double definition.

Thanks Giovanni and DT
    Am also working my way through don’s book, slow progress.

20. fran
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Having put front tier in 13a ,it really was unlucky for some of the other top left clues especially since I had no idea about 11a . I blame this cold ., where’s the paracetamol ?

21. Dave B
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

**/**. Not my favorite of the week. Last in was 11a, with a little help from the big red book.

22. Sarah F
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Found this quite tricky as not on Giovanni’s wavelength today. Had to use the hints but once the answer was obviouse, I had not a few ‘doh!’ Moments.

Am struggling with anagrams at the moment, don’t know why, so trying hard with any I get, and the ones on the puzzle page

Many thanks to setter and reviewer

23. Ginny
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Thank you Giovanni though have only managed a quarter so far, which I’ve enjoyed, with 1a being current favourite. Thank you DT, in advance!

24. Kitty
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I was dead on wavelength for this one. 21d would have cause me problems had I not remembered the church anthem from a previous puzzle. My favourite today is 25a.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to Giovanni and DT.

25. JonP
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Fairly straightforward for the most part, but once again missed the cryptic def at 10d. These clues are definitely my weakness which is why I struggle sometimes with Rufus. Will be storing all the Xmas cracker jokes this year with a view to improving at riddles…! Thanks to Giovanni and DT 2.5*/3.5*

Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this despite the numerous religious references. Would agree with the 2*
    Solving time. Only point was 27a, why the past tense? Can see Confereracy or Conferate as a civil war group but don’t get the confederated?
    Thx to all

• Zofbak
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Agreed – I have never heard General Lee being described as “confederated” even though he was in the civil war group in question.

• Brian
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Glad I wasn’t the only one, perhaps the Don could come on and explain.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted December 19, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Brian, in case the Don doesn’t reply, my take on this is that someone who is part of a confederacy could be described as confederated (i.e.: in civil war group), although I do agree that it is not likely to be a commonly used word!

27. Jane
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Another non-chemist here who had to double-check the answer for 11a. Apart from that, the remainder went in fairly easily although I wasn’t too happy with ‘bent’ as a definition of 19a – I would associate it more with a ‘leaning’ or tendency’. No doubt it’s in the BRB! Also thought the ending of 27a a little ‘clunky’.

Best ones for me were 1a plus 14&17d.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the excellent review.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

This one went together very smoothly for us and we did enjoy it. We agree with Una that algae are not all small by any means. Some seaweed species are really huge.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

29. Collywobbles
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

A fine puzzle to finish the week. Many thanks to the Don and to DT whose hints enabled me to finish. 2* for me althouigh I did need the help

30. Jerome
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Not keen on this one with too many new words or obscure references. ****/* for me but as usual on my own.

Never heard of 11a, 1d, 5d and would never get 14d or 21d. Still puzzled by 19a as well. Darn my lack of grey matter!

31. Hilary
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

After yesterday’s euphoria I was back down to earth with a certain amount of electronic help but I did persevere where I would have given up before and I had finished by the time I opened the blog. Grateful thanks to Giovanni and DT for rounding off my weekdays nicely. Roll on Saturday and a new crossword – addicted – Moi? Oh Heck it’s snowing again. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

32. Hanni
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

***/***
    Not the easiest to solve but very enjoyable.

I had to check 11a wasn’t a salt I’d invented.

I agree with others about 27a. Although I suppose it could be technically correct it still didn’t sit right.

Favourite clue is 1a.

Many thanks to the Don, whose puzzles I always enjoy and thank you to DT. I didn’t need the hints but I enjoyed reading your blog. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
    I hope you both have a lovely Christmas and a great 2015. Thank you both.

Now I have to make the decision about mixing Benylin with wine. Not in the same glass by the way.

• Jane
      Posted December 19, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

OK, Hanni – go for the wine first (in copious quantities) then use the Benylin as a chaser. Won’t help much, but you won’t care either! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hanni
        Posted December 19, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane. I hope you’re well? And daughters are well…and travelling future son-in-law? :-)

Wine first is a great idea except that I already took the cough mixture. However I have entered into the spirit of your suggestion and a bottle has been opened! Well it is Friday. And I only managed 5 answers on the Toughie.

Posted December 19, 2014 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

This took me into 3* time, but l was concentrating on listening to Sale vs Exeter on the radio, so l suspect it would otherwise have been a 2* completion. I think 17d was my favourite. All in all a 2*/4* puzzle for which thanks to Giovanni, and to Deep Threat for the review.

34. Gwizz
    Posted December 19, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

A fairly relaxed Friday puzzle foe me with no real problems in solving, 11a was a bit nebulous but the clue made the answer fairly obvious. I think 1a floated my boat today.
    Thanks the Don and DT for his revue.

Posted December 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I can safely say that alcohol does slow your brain. Bit hungover today after a long week at work and a good party last night.
    I found both Friday crosswords quite hard but managed to finish this one bar the “loft” part of 1d. Just didn’t know it was so called.
    I agree with the comments about algae not being a shall organism as we suffer from an invasive variety which tries to overtake our beautiful posidonia.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to DT for the review.