DT 27600 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27600 (Hints)

Entries for the September Monthly Prize Puzzle close today.

Some hints follow.

1a Girl who went to Palace after church for Cup (7)
The name of the girl who went down to Buckingham Palace with Christopher Robin preceded by CH(urch)

5a Overweight female seen with science centre times (6)
F(emale) followed by the three-letter abbreviated form of word for a science centre and the mathematical operation of multiplication (times)

12a Bad luck with Jack batting, needing ten (4)
J(ack) followed by the two-letter word that describes someone who is currently batting, as opposed to having been dismissed, and the Roman numeral for ten

17a Drunken cows on the line? (7,5)
An adjective meaning drunken followed by a collective word for cows gives what may be found on a railway line

21a Sheet anchor? (7-3)
A cryptic definition of a small plastic or wooden clip used to hold a sheet out to dry

23a Famous birthplace of one with endless support in the West (6)
Not so much a famous birthplace, more the birthplace of a famous saint – I (one) preceded by (in the West in an across clue) most of (endless) a verb meaning to support

25a Layered item of clothing that’s a bright colour (6)
An item of clothing word around the neck followed by a bright colour

26a European expected to keep pet in school (7)
E(uropean) followed by a word meaning expected or awaited around (to keep) a household pet gives a verb meaning to school or train

2d Sounds convenient, international player getting scoring adjustment (8)
The first part of the answer sounds like an adjective meaning convenient, the second is a three-letter word for an international sportsman

3d State supports the Parisian that’s in rubber (5)
The three-letter abbreviation for a US State preceded by (supports in a down clue) the French definite article

6d One is naturally spotted having this long tie askew (7)
This word for freckles is an anagram (askew) of LONG TIE

7d One’s mad for Rio fruit (6,3)
This could describe someone who is crazy about the country of which Rio is a large city

10d Mum, tipsy, fell missing last of steps (5-6)
This hyphenated word meaning mum or silent is derived from an adjective meaning tipsy or drunk followed by a verb meaning fell without the final letter (last) of [step]S

15d Attack when pilots are off work? (3,6)
This could, at a stretch, mean that pilots have withdrawn their labour

16d Inform Bill Strange (8)
the two-letter abbreviation for a bill followed by an adjective meaning strange or whimsical

22d Old Spanish leader abandoning old currency, mainly obsolete (5)
Start with the name of a former Spanish dictator and drop the O(ld)

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick crossword pun: ill+eagle+lea=illegally

1. bifield
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:08 am | Permalink

A read and write for me this morning but quite enjoyable. Thanks to setter and to Big Dave for the (not needed today) hints.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

1*/2.5*. I agree with Bifield – basically R&W, although a couple in the NE corner needed a little bit of thought.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

3. George
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Pretty much a write in today 1*/3*

4. Katie B
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

All done…though being new to the game did need some of BD’s hints..
    So thanks BD and to the setter…last one in 23a…http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Good fun thank you setter – like Saturday puzzles of old ! Not too taxing. Thanks BD for the hints.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Top went in very easily but for some reason the lower half held me up but having got the answers I can’t really see why!
    Fav clue def 21a, nice play on words. Can’t quite see why the words in 16d are capitalised, is it just misdirection by the setter or am I missing something?
    Whatever, most enjoyable.
    Thx to all.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Misdirection – but it didn’t fool you did it??

7. Andrew
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

a very gentle Saturday stroll, last in 23a the clue didn’t quite click for me… But ***** was all I could think of that fitted and once I’d got the answer then the clue made sense!

8. Dutch
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Pangram! last entry was 23a, argh, pretty fast apart from that. I liked the drunken cows(17a), sheet anchor(21a), tipsy mum (10d) and the attack while pilots were off work (15d).

thanks setter and BD and catwoman

• Tantalus
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Catwoman… does this mark the return of BD’s racey photo selection?

• Badger
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Same comments for me – thought 23 a was a bit odd (thanks BD) liked 10d as a friend of ours did just that – broke her leg too..

Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable read and write – but who else noticed what else it is?

• Expat Chris
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

What Dutch said! So is the Quickie.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Dutch and I must have pressed Post Comment at nearly the same time.

• Dutch
          Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

11:06 and 11:07 http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

10. RobF
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Similar to Brian the top half was pretty much read & write but the bottom half took a little bit longer. Lots of mildly amusing clues. 21a & 10d probably faves, No hints needed, although had to look up 4d in BRB to check it. Thanks to the setter & BD. Sue – spotted the panagram after 12a & 7d.

11. Caravaggio
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I wonder if today’s children will remember the songs which their mothers sang to them to induce sleep? That’s why I liked 1a and, yes, I’m probably getting sentimental in my old age… I agree with Sweet William – ‘like Saturday puzzles of old!’

12. Dave B
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword. Thought it was the easiest of the week. Last in was 18d, always thought it was a single word!

13. Collywobbles
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Usual enjoyable puzzle for a Saturday. It would be nice to know the setters for these, or is it a committee? Thanks to BD for the hints but I finished before publishing time so I must be improving

Posted September 20, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Given that there are seven anagrams and it is my ‘first’ week of the two week blogging rota, I’d go for Cephas as the setter which means it should be a Mysteron next week.

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 20, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS

Posted September 20, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

This was one of those that I found quite difficult while I was doing it but can’t see why now – maybe it’s just me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif
    I had trouble with 2d – it had to be what I thought it was except I didn’t understand it – it wasn’t! I always forget that meaning of the last three letters.
    23a took a while and so did 24a even though I could see it was an anagram.
    Missed the pangram.
    I liked 14 and 17a. My favourite was either 21a or 10d – they both made me laugh.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD.
    A bit worse than grey in Oxford today – if it was any greyer it would be dark – still very warm. I feel as if I’m living in a swamp. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Dinosaur Pete
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath ! I was on the point of asking for an explanation to 24a when I saw your comment. Hadn’t twigged it was an anagram but couldn’t think of another answer !!
      Thanks also to BD without whose hints I wouldn’t have finished – again !

15. Graham Wall
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I have been away from crosswordland for a couple of days so this offering was a very welcome return. No great difficulty but most enjoyable and no hints needed. I would rate this 1.5/4 Favourite clue is 21A As an aside (and without wishing to be shot out the water) can a crossword puzzle really be classed as a pangram just because it contains all the letters of the alphabet? My understanding has always been that a pangram must be in sentences or verse. My thanks to Big Dave for the review.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Interestingly Chambers says that a pangram is a sentence that contains all the letters of the alphabet – as anyone who learned to type back in the day will tell you, given the number of times we had to type it – The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog – being one example. However, the BRB then says that a pangrammist is someone who contrives verses or sentences containing all letters of the alphabet.

No mention of crosswords but a crossword containing all the letters of the alphabet is well known as a pangram in crosswordland.

• Graham Wall
        Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your observation Crypticsue. So technically it is not but by common use and acceptance it is. It think it should be left at that as I do not want to cause a dispute in crosswordland! :)

• Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

This was all covered in the FAQ!

Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

When you are a person who started solving long before the interweb was ever thought of, I find that I use books far more than looking on line. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

16. pommers
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Is it just me or have the Saturday prizers been getting a tad easier over recent weeks? This certainly didn’t put up anything which could be described as a “fight” but was quite enjoyable all the same.

It’s worth an extra enjoyment star just for the drunken cows and tipsy mum – both of which generated mental images of some of the female holidaymakers who come to this part of the world :lol:

*/**** from us methinks and Lewis just got pole so an enjoyable lunchtime all round http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Thanks, as always, to the setter and BD.

• Tantalus
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Darn, we were going to watch the qualies! To get my revenge, he comes 4th tomorrow behind rosberg, Riciardo and bottas.

• andy
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Had a pub lunch with friends, (read top up of beer from last night ) with Cynth Cuth Lulu Cher and Stan in tow. Tipsy mums and drunken cows made friends lol. At long last they are nearly completing a cryptic and able to parse. My job is done ;) Thanks to BD and Cephas

17. Sarah
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Like nearly everyone else, I found this an R & W. But I really enjoyed it. I didn’t know the other word for freckled but was able to work it out. I liked the mis-direction of 16d and my other favourites were 1a, 9a and 17a. Very enjoyable…and no hints required, yeah!

18. Ally
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I found it really difficult today and needed all the help. I liked 10d and17a. Thank you Big Dave and the setter

19. nicat
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

if it is a pangram which clue has the answer with a z in it?

• Posted September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

This conversation has gone far enough.

• nicat
        Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Sorry, but I assumed that one of my answers must be wrong.

• Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Find out on Friday!

Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

They’ll have forgotten all about it by Friday!

• stanXYZ
              Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

nicat, I cannot find it either.

Why BD has closed comments on this issue is beyond me!

But it’s his Blog and he rules!

Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Because we’ll start straying into all those areas forbidden by the big red box! You’ll just have to come back and become one of the very small number of people who actually read the reviews of the weekend puzzles when they are published later in the week.

• andy
                  Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I do read both yours and Gnomeys reviews honest. Note to self , will save paper copy of crossword and comment :) Btw finally finished Donk, the crossword that is

• pommers
                    Posted September 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Pommette and I did the Donk this evening over a beer or two. See her comment on 225. Very poor puzzle as far as I’m concerned. OK, I can’t set one but I’ve solved a lot .. . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted September 20, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I always save Saturday and Sunday crosswords and always intend to read the reviews and comment on them but by then I’ve either forgotten about it or can’t find the crosswords. On the rare occasion that I remember and can find the crosswords I can’t remember what I thought about them. When I have time I’ll do a quick marble count! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• andy
                Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

====================================================
                I cannot think of a way of saying which clue without breaching the above very specific quite rightly guidelines. I’ve been sat on the naughty step so many times ;)

• Dawn
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I found it :D

20. Annidrum
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable easy puzzle today. Thanks to Cephas .http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted September 20, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

This might have been on the easy side, but the entertainment value was HUGE! So many funny clues, conjuring up tipsy mums and drunken cows absolutely made my day. Loved them all, how can I choose a fave? Thanks to setter and to BD for review.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Cephas and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable but very straightforward puzzle. Some great clues, didn’t realise it was a pangram until I read the blog. Favourite was 17a. Was 1*/4* for me. Dull and dismal in Central London, but should be sunny tomorrow.

• andy
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Dull and dismal in Peterborough as well Heno. 5 dogs today, 10 bath towels later we are all dry and de-mudded (not in BRB)

23. reggie
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Yes very straightforward. Quickly running through the other comments I didn’t notice anyone commenting on 6d – my last. Never come across this word before but had to be.

Posted September 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

The top half went in quite easily, but the lower half provided an enjoyable tussle.Thanks to all concerned .

25. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Didnt start on this until this afternoon but very enjoyable. The weather is stunning but not for long methinks. Brollywood will live up to its reputation through autumn.

26. Owdoo
    Posted September 21, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Did this one over Sunday breakfast in bed which Mrs O very kindly provided. As she is having a knee operation on Tuesday and not allowed to stand on that leg for at least two weeks I guess I’ll have plenty of chances to return the favour!

A straight forward puzzle but no less enjoyable for it. 17a made me chuckle.
    Thanks to the setter and BD for this site in general. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif