Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Nudging slightly into 3 star difficulty due to being successfully misdirected at 2d and 16d and having to use pen and paper for the anagram at 14d (cheating in my opinion and very rarely done). We have made it into The Camra Good Beer Guide yet again and Saint Sharon is taking me away to Shropshire for a three day break starting tomorrow. Life gets better as the years roll by.

1a    Cracked up, oddly enough (6,4)
BROKEN DOWN:    A super little all in one clue. And an awkward one to parse. Take an adjective meaning cracked, smashed, shattered or burst and add the opposite of up to reveal the answer

6a    Lower  piece of iceberg? (4)
CALF:    The lower here is one that Moos and has not yet reached maturity Thanks to Google I have learned the term that describes the breaking up of glaciers and which gives an alternative name for icebergs.

10a    Works and plays to music (5)
OPERA:    The plural of the Latin for a (musical) work and a drama set to music, popular at Glyndebourne.

11a    Achievement of one who doesn’t miss a trick (5,4)
GRAND SLAM:    This is the term that describes the taking of all thirteen tricks in a single hand of the card game Bridge. Love the game but find it hard to get on with the type that play it. Too stuffy by half.

12a    Cause amazement to a holy man on his mobile (8)
ASTONISH:    One of our regular contributors to the blog would call this a Lego clue where you stick all the bits together to build an answer. It is a nice charade of the A from the clue. Our usual suspect for a good man and an anagram (mobile) of ON HIS

13a    Unfinished picture frame (5)
EASEL:    The frame or stand an artist uses whilst painting or sketching

15a    Regard Shaw plays as utter nonsense (7)
EYEWASH:    Take a three lettered verb meaning to look closely or with interest and add an anagram (plays) of SHAW

17a    Say something quickly and stagger away (4,3)
REEL OFF:    A double definition here the first being to recite something quickly and accurately.

19a    Relationship hit by drink (7)
RAPPORT:    To strike quickly followed by the drink passed round after dinner

21a    A muscle unaffected by being retracted (7)
ROTATOR:    This group of muscles keep you upper arm bone firmly attached to your shoulder socket. The answer is a palindrome indicated by the words being retracted

22a    Conservative-Labour rift (5)
CLEFT:    C(onservative) followed by the side of politics the Labour Party lean towards

24a    Loudmouthed female union member to use the rod first (8)
FISHWIFE:    This derogatory term for a coarse woman prone to shouting can be found by putting the female partner in a marriage (union) after a verb meaning to angle with a rod and line.

27a    Hate waiting? I’m open about one (9)
IMPATIENT:    A charade (Lego clue) formed by taking I’M from the clue and a word meaning open or obvious into which we need to insert the letter I (about one)

28a    Appearance of men, it is said (5)
GUISE:    A homophone (sound like clue) of a noun describing a group of fellows, men, chaps or blokes.

29a    Flower that’s 18 Down (4)
NILE:    How clever is this clue? Find the answer to 18d and use it with the word Flower as the clue to 29 across. The flower here is not of the floral type but is a river formed by an anagram (out of) of LINE

30a    What travellers, soldiers and clerics do (4,6)
TAKE ORDERS:    A travelling salesman would do this. A soldier will do this in deference to those of higher rank. Priests do this before being let loose to preach.

1d    Hollow sound of success in business (4)
BOOM:    A loud deep resonant sound or a period of great prosperity or rapid economic growth

2d    Fail to turn out as intended (9)
OVERSLEEP:    My downfall today as I took this to be a driving reference. It isn’t. It refers to waking up after the time wanted.

3d    Muse a long time on uplifting part of the Bible (5)
ERATO:    One of the nine Muses of Ancient Greece. Take a three letter word meaning a long and distinct period in history and add the initials for the first part of the bible reversed (uplifting)

4d    Trouble with fog in vessel seeking shark (7)
DOGFISH:    Anagram (trouble with) of FOG inserted (in) into a vessel or bowl. One you would eat soup from, or breakfast cereal.

5d    Come safely through  the elements (7)
WEATHER:    To last or endure a trial or the elements as in wind or rain.

7d    Collected maps of African mountains (5)
ATLAS:    A book of maps or a range of mountains in Africa. (If you needed help with this one I do not feel you have a future with cryptic crosswords)

8d    It could be the concern of several generations (6,4)
FAMILY FIRM:    The word CONCERN in a clue nearly always alludes to the second word in this clue. The answer is a business that has passed through several generations of ownership without changing hands. From father to son so to speak.

9d    He will be embraced by wildly ardent fan (8)
ADHERENT:    Take an anagram (wildly) of ARDENT and place HE inside (embraced)

14d    Not a direct criminal slander (10)
DETRACTION:    Woe is me. I used pen and paper for this anagram (criminal) of NOT A DIRECT. Many years ago I would sit with a dictionary a crossword list book (rivers ports mountains prophets etc, etc) an atlas and a notepad for anagrams. Now I use nothing. Maybe I should get a life.

16d    He no longer believes in a teapot’s brewing (8)
APOSTATE:    If like me you put Agnostic you will be as wrong as I was. Try an anagram (brewing) of A TEAPOT’S

18d    Behaving badly, ejected from queue? (3,2,4)
OUT OF LINE:    A double definition here. You are said to be this if you behave badly.

20d    Staff head’s missed tea breaks to obtain material (7)
TAFFETA:    Remove the first letter (Head’s missed) from the word [S]TAFF and add an anagram breaks of TEA to find this high end fabric

21d    Favour shown to electorate (7)
ROSETTE:    A circular decoration usually made from ribbon and awarded as a prize (favour) or worn by sports fans or political party members as a show of allegiance

23d    One way to apply a finish to education (5)
EXPEL:    To officially make someone leave a school or college. For the pedantic out there this would only finish ones education at that school or college. Education could still be continued elsewhere

25d    It’s laid down by our betters (5)
WAGER:    A gambling term indicated by the word betters. A more formal term for a bet.

26d    Leonard’s  telescope will have one (4)
LENS:    That which belongs to Leonard will also be one of several pieces of glass in a telescope

A nice one to review to the sounds of outtakes from Exile On Main Street by The Rolling stones at their very best.

The Quick Crossword pun: crew+suffix=crucifix

Posted September 15, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

2*/4*. How I look forward to Sunday’s and Monday’s cryptics! Without fail they entertain and amuse, and this was no exception.

6a was my last one in as, like Miffypops, the iceberg connection (which I had to look up in my BRB) was new to me.

As ever lots of great clues so picking a favourite is very hard, but I’ll settle for the excellent 2d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

2. Roger
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Monday seems to be the new ‘toughie’! Got there but not without a lot of work. Appreciate the hints that explain some of the clues although I still can’t see 1a. Where does ‘enough’ fit in? I’m struggling to see this one.

13 easel…is not a frame, surely? But I am guessing that BD will tell me it is according to the BRB http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

MP…where’s your pub? Well done on getting into the Camra Guide again. And to think all those years ago we nearly lost our real ale. Remember Grotney’s ?

• Corky
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I must admit I got the answer before I figured the wordplay. I took frame to mean ‘construction’ – just something to hold the picture up whilst you’re working on it.

I could be wrong but it’s a clever misdirect if I’m not.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink
    • Mike S
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

The “enough” is not a clue in itself but part of the expression “oddly enough” since the “down” is the opposite to the “up”

Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mike S.

3. skempie
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Congrats to MP for his entry into the GBG – if I’m up that way, you will be on my sat nav

30A took a while to seep its way into the brain as I (for some reason) decided that the first word had to be MAKE. Other than that, no problems at all, quite liked 28A as a homophone.

Incidentally, I found the quickie to be one of the easiest I’ve ever come across.

4. happy days
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Good old Rufus. Always guaranteed to cheer up a Monday

5. Corky
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

2*/4* for me.

Top left corner was last to go in – I so wanted 2D to be something to do with jilting.

A good few clever clues that made me smile but I think 29A is my favourite.

Thanks Rufus and MP.

6. Will
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Fun, clever (I liked the flower) and just the right level of challenge. I like to have a couple of clues where I need to look the word up – like bits of an iceberg.

7. Beaver
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Going for a **/*** today. Had the same thoughts as Roger re easel, and also the red barrel revolution, could have been worse than the Scottish devolution if not for Camera-maybe they should have a few days in Scotland to exert a little friendly persuasion- must be better than the ‘Cameron’ highland fling!. Anyway enjoyable start to the week.

8. Boxy
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

MiffyPops, try poker instead! You’ll find some more ‘interesting’ types in that game…

• Miffypops
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I won Saint Sharon in a game of Poker

9. Clarky
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Tougher than the usual Monday fare. I thought, but got there in solid *** time for me. Several very clever clues but favourite was probably 24a, or 27a or 2d or ….
    Thanks Rufus and MP.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very good puzzle to start the week. My only holdups were 14d, until I spotted the anagram, then 28a took a while, with 25d last in. Favourites were 1,6,22a. Had heard of 6a, I think it was on this site a while ago. Was 2*/4* for me. Congratulations in appearing in the Beer Guide, whereabouts are you in Shropshire? Must pay you a visit when I’m next there. Clouding over now in Central London.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

We live in South Warwickshire but will be visiting Shropshire on Tuesday returning on Friday. Wroxeter is where we are staying. I have never heard of it.

• Heno
        Posted September 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Ok, I’ve got in now. Found your website, most impressive.

11. Rick
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Weird this crossword lark. After struggling on Friday while all around me cried ‘easy-peasy’, it seems this was the complete opposite. It was almost a write-in for me, with only a check on the Muse and 6a to hold me up. I find Rufus can be a bit like that – if you see his cryptic and double definitions straight away you wonder what all the fuss is about. Go figure as they like to say across the pond.
    1d reminded me of Baldrick’s poetic masterpiece!
    As it was all done in record time and with very little effort I can’t rate it more than 1* for difficulty.

12. BigBoab
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and MP for the fun crossword and review.

13. dutch
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

i didn’t know the bit of an iceberg. i liked some clues, though the surface is often a bit forced (e.g. 12a). Like Rick, some times with Rufus I read the cryptic definition before a straight one, and end up wondering why it is considered cryptic at all, e.g. 25a – i’m still not really sure what the other meaning is, presumably something to do with people who are superior to us, but not so clear to me. I got stuck on 28a until the penny dropped, then 25d and 30a were last entries. there is a very nice river clue (13d) in the Times today as well.

many thanks rufus and MP

14. Ian
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

***/*** for me. Lots of nice misdirection and good surface readings. Particularly liked 22a for its simplicity and aptness. Thanks to all. Miffypops, I don’t live too far away so might pop in one day. I’ll be wearing a carnation and carrying a copy of the Telegraph.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Took a while to get going but then it proceeded at a steady pace.
    However, I still don’t fully understand 1a. Why oddly enough? What’s odd about it? Why should oddly mean the opposite of up? Very confusing.
    Did like 21a, always good to see a palindrome. Didn’t much like 24a though, thought it was a clumsy clue.
    Thx to all.

• Physicist
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

It’s “oddly enough” because the two expressions mean the same, even though one is “up” and the other “down”.

16. Hanni
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

****/*** for me. I gave it four star difficulty I had to look up 6a. I’m not familiar with that term but great entertainment from the rest of the puzzle. Favourites were 25d and 29a, the latter making me laugh on a very miserable day here on the N. York moors. Thank you to the setter and to Miffypops for the explanations and also for getting into The Camra Guide!

17. George Dyson
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

A bit of a challenge at the start today, but once I had enough words in, it progressed well.

Fortunately, icebergs are quite common here!

2*/4* for me.

18. Graham Wall
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Nice to be back on the blog as broadband was down all day yesterday and most of today thanks to local yobbery vandalising the BT box yet again. Anyway a very pleasant offering. I would rate this 2/4 Last one in was 14D I had never heard the word being used in this context before. I checked in Chambers which says it is correct albeit obsolete. My favourite clue is 2D Thanks to Miffypops for his usual high standard of reviewing and for being mentioned in dispatches by CAMRA. I used to be a very active member of a beer disposal team but I tend to freelance these days.

19. Drongo
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I always enjoy the Monday crossword. Today was no exception.

20. Angel
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Good mix of clues and not too many anagrams on which, according to MP’s rules, I cheat daily and plan to risk the sin bin (as opposed to the naughty corner) by continuing to do so. Thanks Rufus for nice puzzle and MP for sorting two 4-letter words (1d and 6a) for me. ***/***. Off for hectic tour of Eastern USA and Canada but not sure I have the hang of my new Ipad Air so may be incommunicado until end of month. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted September 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Great Rufus puzzle again. He never fails to entertain. Along with most of you, I had to google to learn why 6a was correct. I was held up with 21a for a long time as I had forgotten crosswordland meaning for “concern” and put “tree” for the second word of 8d.
    I loved so many, hard to choose a fave, but I think 29a is it for its cleverness, closely followed by 24a, 28a, 2d and 16d.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry, phone rang and I forgot my manners! Thank you Rufus and to M’pops for his usual entertaining review.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gifNo Internet all day – tried everything I could think of (switch it all off and then switch it back on again) but that didn’t work and couldn’t find a hammer to hit it with (second solution to most things that don’t work) so had to wait for husband to come home.
    I’d say 2* difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    I was held up briefly with the first word of 1a and 1d – don’t know why.
    Like others I’d never heard of the 6a bit of an iceberg but it had to be what it was.
    I didn’t really understand the ‘travellers’ in 30a – forgot about salesmen.
    I liked 17 and 29a and 2 and 18d. My favourite was 15a.
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.
    If writing down the letters of an anagram and/or using a dictionary is cheating then I cheat every time I do a crossword.

• Angel
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Me too, Kath. as I have said above! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Posted September 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Yes – I did notice what you said – meant to say that I’d join you in the sin bin but somehow it got left out. I don’t think you (one) can cheat yourself (oneself) and I’ve been ‘had’ too many times by not writing out the letters of an anagram – it’s usually an ending that goes a bit wrong and before you know it you’ve screwed up a whole corner.
        Have a wonderful trip and I do hope that you’re not incommunicado for too long. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Angel
          Posted September 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath – doubtless trip will be exhausting but hopefully fun.

23. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Jolly good fun. A 1.5/3.5 for me. 6a was one of my favourites. As these separate the sound is known as white thunder. Go to Galcier bay in Alaska and you’ll see (or hear) what I mean. Thanks to te setter and MP for the review.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rufus – just not my day ! Struggled with this. Thank you MP for your review and hints. I made use of them to bring the unequal battle to an end. Tired after a day with a guide searching for an elusive bird. Found it, so a glass of fizz tonight !

25. Gwizz
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Good Monday fare from Rufus. Favourite was 26d just because it was so simple.
    And thanks to MP for his hints. Hic!

Posted September 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

2d was nemesis too, despite having the checkers.I appreciated the hints for 24a as well.Definitely a bit tougher than usual. Still very enjoyable. Thanks Miffypops and rufus. Using pen and paper to solve anagrams is cheating ? I can’t imagine what Miffypops would think of on line anagram solvers.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I don’t really think that using pen and paper is cheating. I rarely write anagrams out these days. I would never use an online anagram solver. I suppose that as long as the grid gets filled you can use any means you can

Posted September 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty straightforward (something like 2*/3*) so must have missed the attempted misdirections alluded to by Miffypops. I choose 4d as favourite, not because it’s a particularly difficult or devilish clue but because l remember being unable to catch anything else in the Thames estuary as a boy. Anyway, thanks to the setter, and to MP for an entertaining review – as always.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

We had a slight hold up with 2d, probably caused by one of us having watched too many episodes of Top Gear, and had OVERSTEER which also fits the clue perfectly, but did make 19a impossible. Soon sorted though. A good fun Monday puzzle.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

• Miffypops
      Posted September 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I too put oversteer at 2d and Agnostic at 16d. Soon sorted though.

29. Patrick Wroe
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Woe is me you say. Wroe is me. I still sit with those books.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

There was a typo in your email address – now fixed.

Posted September 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Nothing wrong with books I reckon, whatever MP says!

30. Ginny
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter and Miffypops. Congratulations on maintaining your CAMRA status and hope you both enjoy your well earned break. I didn’t find this Monday’s too easy; couldn’t see 28a or the exact answer for 8d (which ended up somewhere in Ambridge), solved 14d electronically (though usually do on paper or in my head) and was helped by noticing the pictures for 21a and 21d. I enjoyed 1a and 30a. Thank you again setter and MP for another enjoyable Monday. Bon voyage!

31. Tstrummer
    Posted September 16, 2014 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Harder than the usual Monday challenge, but nonetheless enjoyable. 29a was a belter and I had to wait until I had the checking letters before I dared write it in, in case I had the wrong end of the stick. Brilliant. Lots of other good ‘uns too, particularly 21a. Thanks to Rufus (who seldom lets us down) and MP for the usual high standard of hints. 4* enjoyment, 3* difficulty for me.

32. jg
    Posted September 16, 2014 at 7:15 am | Permalink

GALCIER sounds like an anagram to me. A Vancouver joke no doubt.

33. n0vus
    Posted September 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Doing this today after a day yesterday keeping my 7 month old son from banging his head on every available hard surface as he learns to crawl left me little time for crosswords. Back at work today so catching up. I did need help with 7d as I didn’t have 6a for ages, couldn’t shake “OS” for collected maps and suffer from a limited knowledge of African physical geography. On the other hand I was not misled by 16d for a moment so perhaps there’s a future for me in cryptic crosswords after all. ;) I never use reference materials but always write out anagrams unless I see them immediately. Often I solve them before I’ve written all the letters. Can’t see how that’s cheating. Thanks for the help with 7d ;)