Hints and tips by Kath

BD Rating — Difficulty ***Enjoyment *****

Good morning everyone. It looks as if it’s going to be another lovely day in Oxford once the early morning mist has gone. Now on to the crossword. I don’t think that this is a Ray T production – it doesn’t feel quite right, the Quickie clues don’t look like his and anyway it’s not his week. I could easily be wrong! I loved it and was laughing all the time I was doing it – for that reason I’ve given it 5* for enjoyment which is something that I’ve never done before. Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

The bit that says “click here” before the hint is not an instruction that has to be obeyed – you only need to do it if my hint isn’t clear enough and you want to see the answer!

1a    Intense blow wrought sporting injury (6,5)
TENNIS ELBOW: — An anagram (wrought) of INTENSE BLOW. A nice long anagram across the top is such a good start.

9a    Bank facility is put back in store by a titled figure reportedly (7,7)
DEPOSIT ACCOUNT: — the reversal (put back) of IS inside a store is followed by the A from the clue and a homophone (reportedly) of person with a title equal in rank to an Earl.

11a    Speed of car at event (4)
RATE: — As a child playing hide-and-seek never appealed much – it still doesn’t and it’s one of them!

12a    Archdeacon facing American space traveller (5)
VENUS: — This space traveller is a planet. It comes from the abbreviation of an Archdeacon followed by (facing) the usual two letters used for American.

13a    Preserve  part of castle (4)
KEEP: — This is a double definition.

16a    Foreigner largely full of hypocritical talk in Spanish city (8)
ALICANTE: — The first four of a five letter word (largely) meaning a foreigner or stranger contains (full of) some overused or hypocritical talk often used by politicians.

17a    Neat queue to get soup (6)
OXTAIL: — Don’t start imagining an orderly line – the neat here is an animal and he needs to be followed by another word for a queue or train.

19a    Persuasive man in business? (6)
COGENT: — The usual two letters for business come before a posh chap.

20a    House no type built as a centre of attraction (8)
HONEYPOT: — An anagram (built) of HO(use) NO TYPE.

22a    Army division kept back by government in unrest (4)
UNIT: — Hidden (kept) and reversed (back) in the middle of the last three words of the clue. I really nearly didn’t find this one although the answer was obvious. Oh dear!

23a    Nervous characteristic of cricket? (5)
JUMPY: — The cricket here isn’t the game that I don’t understand – he’s a chirpy little insect. When he’s not busy rubbing his forewings together to make his noise he’s hopping around.

24a    Musical group finding port after time (4)
TRIO: — T(ime) followed by a Brazilian sea port.

27a    Slippery customer that’ll give you a squeeze and take you out? (3,11)
BOA CONSTRICTOR: — The slippery customer is a large non-venomous snake from South America which kills its prey by strangulation.

28a    Trap a couple that’s disrupted legal body (6,5)
APPEAL COURT: — An anagram (that’s disrupted) of TRAP A COUPLE.

2d    Urge late critic developed to get instrument (8,6)
ELECTRIC GUITAR: — Another anagram (developed) of URGE LATE CRITIC.

3d    Idea with time I abandoned in middle of day (4)
NOON: — A six letter word for an idea or thought has its two central letters – T(ime) and I – taken out (abandoned).

4d    Dagger, note, left in fight (8)
STILETTO: — Start with a fight or scrap (3,2) containing (in) the seventh note of a musical scale and L(eft).

5d    Measure taken at sea in alliance (6)
LEAGUE: — A double definition – the first is a nautical distance and the second an alliance or union of countries.

6d    In the past, a circle joined by Northern Anglicans (4)
ONCE: — A letter that looks like a circle followed by N(orthern) and two letters for the Anglican church.

7d    Place requiring stiff observance? (7,7)
FUNERAL PARLOUR: — The ‘stiff’ in this case is a noun. The clue is a cryptic definition of where a dead person is taken after death and before the burial or cremation so that members of the family may visit.

8d    One with a lot of influence in Victoria, say, gets contract (11)
STIPULATION: — Victoria is an example (say). It’s not a carriage, an Australian state, or a plum but a bus and rail terminus in London. It contains (in) the letter that looks like the Roman numeral for one and most of (a lot of) a word meaning to influence or persuade. I was doubtful about this – I thought it was more a condition in a contract than a contract itself but the BRB doesn’t agree with me.

10d    Bits of food generated outspoken surprised expression (11)
BREADCRUMBS: — These bits of food tend to accumulate around your toaster. You need to split the answer into two words. The first is a homophone of a word meaning generated or produced offspring. The second is a surprised expression like blimey or cor.

14d    Sweltering area undressed Nordics appreciate principally (5)
SAUNA: — This hot steamy room comes from the first letters (principally) of the first five words of the clue. For no obvious reason this was my last answer – I don’t know how I missed it, but I did.

15d    Top Forty in Rome on radio (5)
EXCEL: — A homophone (on radio). Imagine what Forty looks like in Roman numerals and then say it to yourself

18d    Soldier finding two rivers entering part of sea? (8)
CORPORAL: — The soldier is a non-commissioned officer ranking below a sergeant. The sea is a region of the South Pacific Ocean containing the Great Barrier Reef. Inside this sea (entering) we need two rivers – the first one is the one letter abbreviation for R(iver) and the second is Italy’s longest river.

21d    Follow holder of money around university (6)
PURSUE: — Something found in most women’s handbags to hold coins contains (around) the abbreviation for U(niversity).

25d    John Prescott’s first circular manoeuvre (4)
LOOP: — John may look like a name to you but this time it’s a slang term for a lavatory followed by the first letter of P(rescott).

26d    Resounding noise that may introduce foxtrot? (4)
ECHO: — We’re talking about the NATO or phonetic alphabet here – I probably need to say no more.

A bit spoilt for choice with good clues today but to keep it brief I’ll go for 27a and 7, 10 and 15d with the favourite spot going to 23a because I know that I’m going to be giggling about it all day – isn’t there something about little things pleasing little minds . . . ?!

The Quick Crossword pun: grate+Nice=great-niece

1. Collywobbles
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Kath, I think that the fact that I have finished the puzzle before publication indicates, as you say, that it is not a RayT crossword. I have never done that before and I could not see a reference to Her Majesty. Anyway, as you say, it was thoroughly enjoyable so thanks to the setter and to you, Kath, for the hints
    For me 3* and 5* for enjoyment

2. Dutch
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Excellent puzzle, I ranked it a 5*. 23a was my last entry and my favourite, and when i filled it i still thought it had something to do with cricket sportswear before i twigged. I also liked 28a, 8d, 7d, 25d, 20a, 17a, 14d, 10d, 22a, well, you get the drift. I thought the hidden words were cleverly hidden, though i realise you might claim they pretty much always are Kath.

I found it quite difficult, almost toughie, still managed to complete it before the school run so feeling ok today.

many thanks setter and Kath

3. Hanni
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this puzzle and I agree about 8d. Some fun anagrams and most clues went in well. I0d was my favourite clue but 15d resulted in me wanting to bang my head on the wall, saying, “you stupid girl”! I wrote forty in RN and repeated it aloud, yet couldn’t see the answer for quite a while. Thank you to the setter and Kath for the explanations.

4. Rick
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

90% was almost a write-in as most of the long answers came immediately and the often troublesome four-letter words were kind today, but the right hand edge held me up. Spent far too long working on Victoria as a state and then got stuck on 15d/17a. Neat meaning the animal is a crosswordism that had slipped down the back of my mental sofa and I did everything with XL except say it out loud…
    Well done Kath. Take the rest of the day off – tell ’em I said so. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif
    2*/4*

Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thanks for giving me the rest of the day off. Would you like to be the one to tell our collie – I think she has other ideas!

• Hanni
      Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I had XL written down along with saying it out loud…still took forever to see it. A long weekend off work may be needed for me!!!!

5. Corky
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I think I was on the wavelength for this one.

2*/3* for me with 23A my favourite.

Thanks all.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Lots of good fun and the fact that with this grid, we virtually get two crosswords for the price of one did not detract from the enjoyment at all. The long answers fell quite easily so lots of checkers to play with. We will pick 15d as our favourite as it looks so much like 90 inside a fish that it took a while to correctly sort it out.
    Thanks Mr Ron (definitely not RayT) and Kath.

7. skempie
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable solve today, I’ll even forgive the Americanisms in 7D and 25D as they did actually make a couple of lovely clues. Deciding on a clue of the day is very very tricky today, but I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilities – 17A and 15D, but as the latter has had a few mentions already, I’ll go with the former.

Had to go out yesterday and cross the course of the Tour of Britain, managed to get there just before they did but then nearly hit three idiots on bikes who obviously don’t believe that red lights apply to them. No doubt if I’d hit them, they would suddenly become lovely lads who never had a bad word to say about anybody and would always help others – I hope they read this and leave an apology !

Posted September 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Surely, “loop” is not an Americanism? Loo and john for toilet are definitely Britspeak, I don’t think an American would know what you mean if you asked where the loo or the john was!

• Angel
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I’m not so sure. It’s a long time since I lived in the US but certainly way back then the “john” (or politely “powder room”!) was widely used there but I did not hear “loo” until I returned to the UK . I wonder in fact how many Brits do refer to a “john”. Likewise it is only in the US that I have heard mention of a 7d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_confused.gif

• skempie
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

John always was American – I have never heard it in Britspeak. Try watching US movies from the 60s and 70s

Posted September 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I agree with Merusa about the Americanisms, or lack of them. I don’t think either 7 or 25d is American.
      As for bikes, if you think you have problems you should try living in Oxford!

• skempie
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Stiff meaning a corpse is also very much American slang.

I have no problems with bikes, just with some of the people who use them – we keep being told to watch out for cyclists and to obey the rules of the road, perhaps some of these dead men cycling should try doing the same thing.

• andy
          Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Cyclists in Peterborough (UK) are a law unto themselves. I wonder whether the yoof understand what the word dismount means. If the signs read get off your ******* bike perhaps pedestrians would be safer ;)

Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Re stiff – you’ve clearly never worked in a British hospital!
          I agree with you about the cyclists – one minute they seem to think that the bike is a vehicle and the next they think that they can hop off (sort of) and be treated as a pedestrian. I know that I’m going to get this a bit wrong and should probably have looked it up before quoting it but “Neither fish, flesh, fowl not good red herring” springs to mind.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Kath for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, I was on the right wavelength straight away. Favourite was 7d, but a lot of others made me laugh. Last in was 10d. Great fun. Was 2*/4* for me. Off to Kidderminster for a ride on the steam Railway today.

9. George Dyson
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle today. Didn’t have too many problems except 15D, which I put in as the first word of the clue defined the answer, but then puzzled of why it was what it was – was not sharp enough to figure out the radio reference!
    1*/4* for me.

10. Clarky
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Got off to flying start in the top half but one or two of the rest caused some delay. Still don’t get the connection between ‘neat’ and the animal.
    Money pit seemed like a fair solution initially to 20a. As in a property attracting funds.
    Favourite 23a. Thanks setter for **** fun and Kath for the hints.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Look up ‘neat’ in the dictionary and all should become clear. I think it is on BD’s ‘Usual Suspects’ page too.

• Dave B
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue, never looked for that page before. Could come in very useful.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Just to add to CS’s reply the ‘neat’ is worth remembering as he turns up in crosswords fairly often even though you’ll probably never hear the word used with that meaning anywhere else – a bit like an ‘ounce’ being a snow leopard.

• andy
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

not forgetting our ovine friends teg and tup

Posted September 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Of course – let’s not forget them! And thank to you for your comment last night. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

11. BigBoab
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

A fun puzzle without stretching the little grey cells overmuch, thanks to the setter and to Kath for a lovely review.

12. Tstrummer
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Enjoying the rare luxury of a midweek day off, and radio duties out of the way, I drove through this like a knife through butter. Very enjoyable, with lots of fun clues, my favourite being 15d. Thanks to Kath for the unneeded hints (your fears were not realised) and to the setter for brightening my day. Off to the golf course now. 1*/4*

13. Angel
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mr. Ron and Kath for another job really well done. You certainly provide clear “hints”. The week continues to be entertaining and not too exacting. No outstanding clues today but several goodies including 4d and 15d. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

14. Dave B
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle. The longer clues were rather obvious. 17a was last in, got the answer but couldn’t understand neat!

Posted September 11, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I agree with Rick above, a lot of write ins. The last one in was 20a which I thought waas the best clue. Thanks Kath and setter.

16. stanXYZ
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I found this extremely easy but nevertheless quite enjoyable.

Many thanks to Kath for the review. Very brave … as presumably you had absolutely no idea who the setter was going to be!

Posted September 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

The alternate Thursdays which are not Ray T make me very 23a!

• pommers
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

It’s OK Kath. It’s Falcon next week with the RayT, then me with the mysteron the following week and then you get the RayT the week after that.

17. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Splendid puzzle. I finished before the bolognese sauce had cooked through. A glass of Mcguigan Black helped oil my palette and brain. Weather continues to be brilliant although snow in Calgary bringing down trees and power lines. Thanks to Kath for the review and the setter for a really neat puzzle.

• stanXYZ
      Posted September 11, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Brilliant weather? …. “… snow in Calgary bringing down trees and power lines.”

On our one and only trip to Canada – Banff, Alberta – we had snow at the end of August! Then the Chinook arrived … then a heatwave!

Enjoy the bolognese!

18. Graham Wall
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

A well crafted and very enjoyable puzzle today. If this is a new setter please make him/her a regular. Lots of smilers and clever construction. Wasn’t a walkover but not tres difficile. My favourite was 15D and my thanks to Kath for the excellent review. My rating is 2.5*/ 4.5*

19. Hrothgar
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Very well constructed and enjoyable.
    Ashamed to admit I had to leave and then go back to two of the long ones which were real Duh moments.
    Like others, don’t think this is a RayT.
    Many thanks to the setter and to Kath for the review.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I agree with the enjoyment being 5*! I loved this. I made a mistake and tapped the 1* by mistake! then went back and corrected it. I hope no one thinks that someone really thought this just worth 1*.

I’m not going to choose a fave, too many good ones for that. So glad our predictions didn’t come true, Kath, and what a nice puzzle to blog. You done good! Thanks, and heaps of thanks to setter, wonder whoever she/he is?

• Brian
      Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Definitely not a Ray T, it had phrases which are an anathema to him. I think he knows I really like them.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad that, at last, someone agrees with 5* – I was beginning to think I’d messed up there.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Bit of a curates egg for me. The top part was excellent as was most of the bottom apart from 22a but the left hand side was tricky esp 16a.
    There we are, finished and not my nemesis so I for one will not complain.
    Thx to the setter for sparing me my usual Thursday angst!
    And thanks to Kath for explaining 23a, soooooo disappointed it had nothing to do with the great game.

22. JB
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Having finished the Toughie in good time I was glad to tackle this. Missed both14d and 15d. Real d’oh moments here! 15d was SO clever.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, I really enjoyed that. I think the grid helped. Managed to finish without outside assistance for a change – not that there is much available on the shores of Loch Na Keal ! Thanks Kath for your detailed review and hints

24. Annidrum
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle with a few clues that had me scratching my head a bit before the d’oh moment. Thanks to setter and well done Kath.

25. Derek
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle – fave was 15d.

26. Poppy
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Definitely a 5* enjoyment for me as well today. So many chances to lol… Thank you setter for a super puzzle. And thanks to Kath for both a concise and amusing set of hints. I needed your help to discover why I was right for 8d, & 15d flummoxed me – last in. Too many choices to settle on a favourite – but Poppy came bouncing over to see why I was laughing more than once. Happy days. Greetings to all. Off to North Wales for a working weekend… Not a part of the country I know at all.

27. Gwizz
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle. I too am a 15d fan…. clever!
    Thanks to Mr Ron and Kath.
    So will tomorrow bring the monster puzzle?

Posted September 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Aren’t Fridays always monsters? They certainly are for me – I usually find them the most difficult in the whole week – cricket (and sometimes other sport that I can’t do) religious references that I’ve never heard of, music that I’ve never heard of, and, if you add to that lot something obscure and scientific I’m sunk. Having said all of that most of Giovanni’s clues are so well clued that it’s possible to think you might have invented a word and than look it up and ‘bingo’ there it is! I’m sure that BD will have something to say about this – last time I quoted it he said that it clearly made an impression on me – but it was ‘catenary’ – it was something I’d never heard of but I can still remember what it means!

• andy
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I’m beginning to warm to Giovanni puzzles having read interviews with him where he states he deliberately throws in words to stretch the vocab. Don’t ask me why but I find the same setter as Quixote much more approachable but as Pasquale very difficult indeed. I need to get out more, come on dogs ………pub time

28. Owdoo
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Really fun puzzle with some very amusing surface readings. Fairly straightforward though so 1.5*/4* from me.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Kath.

29. andy
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Pushed into 3* for the time it took me to untangle 8d. 5* enjoyment.Thanks to setter and Kath for a 5* star review t’boot

30. Miffypops
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Lovely clueing but a bit of a read and write helped out by long anagrams providing lots of checking letters. I would like to see this setter limited to shorter words. I am sure that would increase the difficulty level. Very nice blog Kath. I loved the clue for 11ac.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Thank you – I presume you mean the hint for 11a – the setter made up the clue!! No – I’m not picking holes again – I’m joking!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Miffypops
        Posted September 12, 2014 at 1:29 am | Permalink

You do pick me up. Nice one.

31. Jane
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

With five minutes to spare before I left the house this morning, made a really good start and thought – Kath will be able to uncross her 23a’s with no problem! Returned to the puzzle this evening and made really heavy weather of it. Several went in without any knowledge of ‘why’ and 15d needed the hints. No wonder I’m always in single figures on clues solved in the Toughies!
    Well done, Kath – so much respect for those of you who sit in the ‘chair’ and not only get the answers in record time but also come up with tips for the rest of us! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
    Can I ask a question? If the chairperson gets a ‘blonde’ moment do they ‘phone a friend?

Posted September 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

This particular ‘chairperson’ is a newish one. I’ve only been doing hints for a few months. I got into it sort of by mistake – long story – but I’ve been lucky enough to have been let in gently.
      Briefly, in answer to your question about the ‘blonde moment’, there is always help if it’s needed. If I’m doing the hints, and I’ve only done a few completely on my own, I know that I can email any of the very experienced bloggers and say “Help, help”.
      I also know that BD will correct any minor errors as he did today for me – thanks BD.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
      I started off doing hints in tandem with pommers as ‘archy and Mehitabel’ about six months ago. He decided that I was fit to be ‘let loose’ on the unsuspecting public but is my Mr Safety Net – he’s a real star.
      Thanks, yet again, pommers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_heart.gif

• Jane
        Posted September 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Well Kath – all I can say is that if you’re relying on the help of a frequenter of Mr. Smith’s, you’re a very, very brave person!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted September 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

It’s so nice to be called a ‘very, very brave person’ – thank you! I’m generally known as the ‘scaredy cat’ because I get so 23a about it all!
          As a southerner I know nothing about about Mr Smith or the people who frequent his bar or club or whatever but the previously mentioned one is wonderful!

32. Shamus
    Posted September 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Greetings from Mysteronville! Many thanks to Kath for her generous blog and everyone for comments

• 2Kiwis
      Posted September 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks for coming out of the closet Shamus. Your name did come to mind when we were solving but we were not brave enough to put the guess to print. Thanks again for a good fun puzzle.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Shamus for saying that it was one of yours. As I giggled my way through it at stupid o’clock this morning you were the setter who came into my head. I loved it.

Posted September 11, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

This was a delightful puzzle in its way but I’d stop just short of 5* enjoyment level. Say 2*/4* or thereabouts. I think my favourite was 25d, because it prompted a smile, but l also had a soft spot for 15d (I’m sure Dan Dare had an arch-enemy of that name). My thanks to the setter whoever it is – l’m no setter-spotter – and to Kath for a very nice review.

34. Corinne
    Posted September 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Just to let you know that “tup” is still in common usage here in the Scottish Borders .
    Found the crossword today easy in parts but not in others so ***/*** for me.

35. Catnap
    Posted September 13, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

It was a joy to do this puzzle last night after a difficult day. I was on the right wavelength, so **/**** for me. Fave across was 27; fave down was 15. I also liked 25d amongst many others. Big thanks to Shamus for a most enjoyable puzzle.

Big thanks too, to Kath for the super hints. I didn’t need them but have enjoyed reading through them now. Kath, can I get away with having two faves if one is an across clue and the other a down?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Posted September 13, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I’ll let you get away with it this time but don’t let it become a habit – we have to keep the standards up! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Catnap
        Posted September 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath! I’ll do my best!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif