Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

I’d be surprised if any of our experienced solvers had any great difficulties today; I thought that this would be a good puzzle for someone learning about cryptic crosswords. Do tell us how you got on.

If you want to see an answer you can do so by dragging your cursor through the gap between the brackets under the clue in order to highlight what’s concealed there.

Across Clues

3a  Cautious about Italian lady bringing wine (10)
{CHARDONNAY} – an adjective meaning cautious or reluctant containing the title given to an Italian lady.

8a  Give a sermon, real beauty about king (6)
{PREACH} – a rather dated word for a real beauty or stunner contains the abbreviation for rex (king).

9a  Terribly obese lot, no longer functional (8)
{OBSOLETE} – an anagram (terribly) of OBESE LOT.

10a  Underling attached to party in power (8)
{DOMINION} – append an underling to a festive party.

11a  In Clubmoor, a scally? (6)
{RASCAL} – the answer is hidden inside what is a very good all-in-one clue. Clubmoor is a district in Liverpool and scally (short for scallywag) is a dialect word in Scouse.

12a  Uneducated crook in Sydney? Say again (10)
{ILLITERATE} – after a bit of Liverpool dialect we move smartly down under – in Australia crook, as an adjective, means sick. Add a verb to say again.

14a  Remove quickly and drop clothes over a carpet (4,3,1,5)
{TEAR OFF A STRIP} – start with a phrasal verb meaning to remove something (e.g. the wrapping from a parcel) quickly (4,3). Then add a verb to take one’s clothes off. Finally insert the A (from the clue).

20a  One vehicle blocking directional traffic signal to obstruct progress (10)
{FILIBUSTER} – this verb means to obstruct the progress of a bill through parliament, often by speaking for an inordinate length of time – the record is held by US Senator Strom Thurmond who spoke for 24 hours and 18 minutes in 1957, with special arrangements made for bathroom breaks. Insert the Roman numeral for one and a public service vehicle into a traffic signal that allows vehicles to proceed to the left or right but not straight ahead.

22a  Boxes and elms, initially thinly scattered (6)
{SPARSE} – a verb meaning practises boxing followed by the initial letter of elms.

23a  Caused great shock to one from Warsaw made redundant? (8)
{POLEAXED} – a charade of a national from Warsaw and a verb meaning dismissed from employment.

24a  Father crossing lake for fish (8)
{FLOUNDER} – father, here, is being used in the sense of instigator, e.g. Sir Tim Berners-Lee was the father of the World Wide Web. Put the required word round L(ake).

25a  A large bloke in bay (6)
{ALCOVE} – string together A, L(arge) and a dated, informal word for a bloke.

26a  Beer may be flat? Kind wife brought in (4-6)
{HOME-BREWED} – start with what flat or apartment could be an example of (indicated by the question mark) then add a kind or variety with W(ife) inserted.

Down Clues

1d  Something short to read about river and tiny stream (8)
{BROOKLET} – put a small publication, often with paper covers, around R(iver).

2d  Various alibis around papal church (8)
{BASILICA} – we have just two anagrams today and here is the second. An anagram (various) of ALIBIS is followed by a two-letter abbreviation for about or approximately.

3d  Excellent, say (6)
{CHOICE} – double definition, the second as in ‘You have no say in the matter’.

4d  Clergyman beheaded immediately (4)
{ANON} – take the first (top) letter off a clergyman on the staff of a cathedral.

5d  Is time aboard rig causing grief? (8)
{DISTRESS} – insert IS (from the clue) and T(ime) into a word (either verb or noun) meaning rig or attire.

6d  Number lower, would you believe! (2,4)
{NO LESS} – a charade of the abbreviation for number and a comparative meaning lower or in a smaller quantity.

7d  A second carrier is off course (6)
{ASTRAY} – A (from the clue) followed by S(econd) and a flat board used for carrying things such as drinks.

13d  Permissible to go topless? That’s terrible (5)
{AWFUL} – remove the top letter from an adjective meaning permissible or legal.

15d  Bid to imprison complete delinquent (8)
{OFFENDER} – put a bid or tender around (to imprison) a verb to complete or finish.

16d  Look into religious education examination (8)
{RESEARCH} – the abbreviation for religious education followed by an examination (possibly carried out by a customs officer with a rubber glove!).

17d  Keep book under piano (8)
{PRESERVE} – a verb to book or earmark follows (under, in a down clue) the musical abbreviation for piano.

18d  A referendum over space programme (6)
{APOLLO} – string together A (from the clue), a referendum or election and the cricket abbreviation for over.

19d  Game bird and carp (6)
{GROUSE} – double definition.

21d  Broadcast, at first, completely commercial song (6)
{BALLAD} – the first letter of B(roadcast) followed by a word meaning completely or totally and the abbreviation for a commercial.

23d  Softly paddle in front of boat (4)
{PROW} – the musical abbreviation for softly precedes a verb to paddle or scull.

I liked 12a and 7d but my favourite today is 11a. Let us in on your preferences.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {WHINE} + {LISZT} = {WINE LIST}

1. Miffypops
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

No problems today but still working through Saturdays stinker. Thanks Gazza for Kirsty McColl singing Miss Otis Regrets by Cole Porter. I hope this song will be a lesson to the ladies who visit this site.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, not too taxing, and an enjoyable puzzle. Thanks Gazza for your review and hints. Another lovely day in the NW – out for lunch – should be in the garden, not eating and drinking !

3. BigBoab
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I agree this was an enjoyable but untaxing crossword, the toughie by Excalibur is about the same difficulty rating and is worth a wee go for those trying to break into toughie solving. Thanks to Gazza and the setter.

4. Kfb
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Ok today but struggled a bit with the NW corner . Sun shines but taking Mrs to hairdresser then shopping .

Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

My rating today is 2*/3* for an enjoyable, untaxing solve with the SW corner taking the longest
    26a was my last one in and favourite after the penny finally dropped regarding the first word.

The only thing I couldn’t unravel today was why “crook in Sydney” translated to the first three letters in 12a, and I needed Gazza’s hint to understand this. It seems very obscure to me, particularly for a crossword in a UK newspaper.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I wondered how many people would know the Aussie meaning of crook. I only know it because I have lots of second cousins who are Australian – they’re all older than me and my sister so when we were teenagers they were in their twenties and used to come over here and stay with us – we had such fun with them several summers running.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted April 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Although the Australian meaning of “crook” escaped me, luckily I had a Liverpudlian friend at university who used the expression “scally” regularly. It’s amazing how these things stick in the recesses of the mind even after many, many years!

• Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

In the sadly-missed TV drama Liverpool 1 everyone was either a scally or a busy.

• Chris T Heswall
            Posted April 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Hello Dave – it’s a ‘bizzy’ meaning a Policeman. Thanks for the blog which I enjoy very much and have introduced to my daughter.

• Posted April 15, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Chambers gives both, busy as a detective and bizzy as a policeman (and says that it is actually Scottish rather than Scouse).

• Chris T Heswall
                Posted April 16, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I will of course defer to your good self and Chambers in crossword terms, but as a dyed in the wool Scouser, will keep to my spelling http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• stanXYZ
          Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Never watched “Neighbours”, Mate?

Strewth!

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted April 15, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I mentally switch off when Mrs RD watches it. I just asked her if she knew what an Australian means by crook and got a withering look implying I must be stupid not to know that!

Posted April 15, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I know what you mean – our Pet Lambs used to watch it when they were teenagers. There was quite a funny sketch – can’t remember who it was or whether it was radio or TV – but it was about the perils of recording an episode of a serial (not Neighbours!) that you really wanted to watch. It was along the lines of being unable to watch it when it was on or the next night, or the one after etc etc and then, by the time you could there was another episode which you also had to record having not watched the first one etc etc and then, by the time you settled down to watch it someone had recorded Neighbours over it!

• Rabbit Dave
                Posted April 15, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

• skempie
        Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I think the Australian expression ‘being a bit crook’ is fairly well known in GB. Apart from anything else, it was used in TV adverts for Fosters (I hasten to add that I do not like the drink at all, but of their advertising has been some of the best on TV)

Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I only knew it because I was/am a huge fan of Nevil Shute and think I’ve read all his books.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this. I agree that it was straightforward – 1* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    Several clues made me laugh which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.
    I didn’t know the 11a Liverpool district or the Scouse dialect so the finer points of that clue passed me by.
    I put little red blobs by lots of clues so will just pick a few – 12 and 14a and 13 and 18d. My favourite was 20a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    Sunny – off to the garden. I hardly dare say this after the very wet winter and all the floods but the garden could do with some rain.

7. Clarky
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one with 12a and 20a as favourites amongst several others. No real problems.
    Thanks to the setter and Gazza though hints not needed, for once!

8. skempie
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

No big problems toady although I was held up briefly in the NW until 2D popped into the grey matter. I thought 12A was very clever but I think 20A was today’s stand out clue.

Still contemplating rescuing a few tribesmen who have infiltrated by back lawn but I gave it a bit of an anti-weed spray at the weekend and I’m not supposed to cut it for 4 days. Maybe this weekend coming then.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Who you calling ‘toady’?? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• skempie
        Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Its actually a frog – it has occupied a small tump I made in the back garden so I could replant the aubrieta so that can have a herb garden. He gets very cross when I all him a toad so I do it regularly just to wind him up

9. Angel
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable but sadly all too brief walk in the park. */***. Thanks setter and Gazza for explaining a couple of my solutions and indeed for providing the different and nostalgic rendition of Cole Porter by the Irish Guards. 26a amused. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

10. genie
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Straightforward but very enjoyable – all apart from 20a which I managed to get from the wordplay but had to come here to check the answer as had never heard of the word before.

11. SheilaP
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Oh dear! Everyone thinks this was a breeze, and we thought it quite hard really. Never mind, tomorrow is another day, as Clark Gable said to Vivian Leigh. Thank you setter and Gazza.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• SheilaP
      Posted April 15, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Actually, now I come to think of it, I think it was Vivian Leigh said it to Clark Gable.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I think she said it to herself. And don’t forget, if everyone had the same solving experience, we wouldn’t need the blog

Posted April 15, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I agree with CS on both points.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

It’s all in the eye of the beholder, yesterday’s 3* I found very straightforward but today’s I thought was very tricky indeed!
    Still don’t get the wife in 26a and may I say my home brew was never flat, undrinkable perhaps but never flat!
    Bit too many religious clues for my liking, four of them.
    Thx to Gazza for most of the explanations except for 26a which as I say still has me puzzled.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

A flat is an example of a HOME. Then insert W(ife) in BREED (kind or type).

• Brian
        Posted April 15, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Thx, that sort of makes sense, bit contrived IMHO but who am I to sayhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_heart.gif

Posted April 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one and had no difficulty. I think I have to agree that 20a was the standout clue today but many others deserve honourable mention. Thanks to setter and to Gazza for review.

14. Amy Field
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Yes- I managed more today too. .. thanks as ever

15. Annidrum
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed that today but didn’t know that district of Liverpool . I liked 12a. Thanks to setter and gazza.

16. Framboise
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I found yesterday’s easy but not today’s! Managed however to almost complete it except for 26d and 6d – thank you Gazza for your help. For me …/..

Posted April 15, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Il n’y a pas de quoi, Framboise. I’m just grateful that you’re not blowing a raspberry at my blogging efforts. :D

Posted April 15, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

I’m guessing that you mean 26a because there isn’t a 26d. I’m also guessing that no self-respecting French woman would go near 26a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted April 15, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

1*/4* and plenty of smiles. 20a my favourite, and my thanks to the setter, and to Gazza for the review.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Had a bit of trouble with the wordplay for 11a, understandably, but 12a was a write-in as the crook/ill synonym is also commonly used in NZ. Guess it is a balancing tit-for-tat. At least the alien obscurity (in both cases) is in the word-play and not in the answer as was the situation in a Saturday puzzle a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyable solve that did not take very long.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

Posted April 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, quite straightforward. Favourite was 20a, was 2*/3* for me. Cracking weather in Central London.

20. Whybird
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

One that I appreciate more having completed and thought about! Not too tricky, and the cleverness is only slowly emerging, eg 11a I was totally focused on the embedded answer, not the phrasing, which is really very neat. A minor carp is that I’m not sure obsolete equates to no longer functional, though it is hardly unfair given the clear flags in the clue, but this is the kind of “not quite” definition that makes me put in answers that only half fit, when I get desperate. Thanks for the review, and to the setter for retrospective pleasure!

Posted April 15, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Re your 9a ‘minor carp’ if in doubt look in BRB – it’s almost word for word.

21. Owdoo
    Posted April 15, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Straight forwards today. Even had time for a crack at the toughie, which turned out to be not so tough after all.
    Nice gentle start to the week. 1*/3*
    Thanks setter and Gazza.

22. Tstrummer
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 12:49 am | Permalink

A good ‘un today. Did it over a post-work pint and it only took two fags to finish. I thought 20 a, 26a and 7d were smile-inducing, but favourite has to be 12a. 2*/4*. Thanks to Gazza for post-solve enlightenment and setter for cheering me up.

23. Weekend Wanda
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I was amazed when I woke up and found I only had two left. Must have completeld the others in my sleep. Last two were 20a which I got when I found the vehicle in the middle from the checking letters. I knew the word. Eventually got 26a. Had not worked out the second half properly. Thought there was an anagram of beer in there. Silly me!