DT 27217 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27217 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Morning-after-the-night-before feeling‘s beginning for George in German city (8)
The initial letter (beginning) of George inside a German city

8a           Go about two (6)
A verb meaning to go comes from a charade of a two-letter word meaning about and a group of two

13a         Admission granted of course (6)
Two definitions – the right to admission and a dish served between the chief courses of a formal dinner

18a         In France, slow mover set out carrying load (8)
An anagram (out) of SET around (carrying) a load of goods

20a         One who stands above the froth? (6)
A weak cryptic definition of someone who rides the waves on a board

25a         We mostly head off one’s intertwining yarn (6)
WE followed by most of a verb meaning to head off

26a         Perform part of articulated turn by parking place (4-4)
What sounds like (articulated) a word meaning to turn followed by P(arking) and a verb meaning to place or set

1d           Type of music that doesn’t start every 60 minutes (5)
Drop the initial C (doesn’t start) from a type of music

3d           About to go up inside museum gallery? (7)
The same  two-letter word meaning about that was used in 8 across reversed (to go up) inside a museum of fine and applied art in South Kensington (1,3,1)

4d           Coming home first with a mobile charger? (6,3,6)
A cryptic definition of being first past the post on a racehorse

5d           Group‘s small cottage on lake (7)
COT(age) followed by one of the Great Lakes

6d           Arrange trade show, expected to be fine (3,4)
A verb meaning to arrange followed by a trade show

12d         Irish port’s party for ship in bottle device (9)
A port in Southwest Ireland followed by the S from ‘S and the party that man a ship

16d         Advance stream supported by a primate (7)
A two-letter verb meaning to advance followed by a small stream and the A from the clue

22d         Sweet hot drink for rum type avoiding exercise outside (5)
An adjective meaning rum or strange inside TY(PE) from which exercise (PE / Physical Exercise) has been dropped (avoiding)

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.  I’ll be back around lunchtime after my monthly visit to the Village Café and Market.

PLEASE DON’T PUT WHOLE OR PARTIAL ANSWERS OR ALTERNATIVE CLUES IN YOUR COMMENT, ELSE THEY MAY BE CENSORED!

The Quick crossword pun: (axe} + {sea} + {dent} + {tally} = {accidentally}

Posted June 29, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

You are early with this morning’s hints, BD – getting ready for the Lions down under, same as me?

This was a strange one for me today. On my first pass through the clues I managed only one answer. A cup of tea later and suddenly it all fell into place. I wondered if I had a ******** [not today – it’s in the puzzle! BD], but I wasn’t drinking last night. 1d was a new word for me, but the answer was obvious from the clue and checking letters.

Nevertheless I found this puzzle an enjoyable start to the weekend. I suspect it should be a 1* rating for difficulty but, because of my slow start, I am going for 1.5 *. Definitely 3* enjoyment though.

Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

2. bifield
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Like Rabbit Dave the first few seemed difficult then suddenly it all fell into place . A pleasant start to a sunny Saturday. Thanks to setter and to BD for the review.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Thank you BD for getting the blog up early ! Needed to get a move on, watch The Lions and then off to Bassenthwaite for 2 days for our annual trip to see the ospreys. For some reason I found this to be much easier than normal – a lot of familiar clues appearing. Thank you setter for an enjoyable puzzle – Come on Lions !

• Poppy
      Posted June 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Do hope you have great sightings at Bassenthwaite (will you be near Mire House?). Mr P and I made regular trips to Wigtown in Scotland for the same reason & marvelled at a little house sparrow’s nest built just underneath the Ospreys’ platform…

• Sweet William
        Posted June 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Will set up on the opposite side of the lake as the nest site is at the bottom of the lake – as has been for 3 yrs now.

• Heno
          Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I go hill walking near there, lovely place. Once saw an Osprey from the hotel dining room window in early May.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Thought this was going to be a struggle at first reading but once started it all came together nicely.
    Some first class clues for me in 5a, 4d and especially 18a. Nice misdirection in 12d.
    One point though, is the tense wrong in 7d, surely it should be just Hardy or am I reading the clue wrong.
    Thx to all.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Think about the surface reading of 7d – it wouldn’t work as well without the ‘s.

5. Senf
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

About 75% complete before lights out last night. Nice to see the answer to 5d appearing again, haven’t seen it for a while, but no real stand out favourites. Will see if I can multi-task to finish up while watching the Lions. Although it’s a bit early (6:00am here on the East Coast of the USA) for my favourite refreshment while watching Rugby on TV (Boddingtons and Stilton), I will have to wait for coffee at half-time.

6. sheepdog
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I’ve done this (I think) but can’t understand 5A or 2D

• sheepdog
      Posted June 29, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

oh, I’ve just worked out 2D

• sheepdog
        Posted June 29, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Good grief, two do’h moments – I can see 5A now too!

Posted June 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Unlike lots of others I started really well and did almost all the across answers on first read through – slower with the downs and then completely stopped with my last few.
    18a and 19d were my last two. I missed the significance of ‘articulated’ in 26a which was just stupid and couldn’t get the last word of 4d for ages – also just stupid. And, stupid yet again, although it was obvious that 7d was an anagram I had ‘a’ as the third from last letter which didn’t help with 13a. 1d was a new word for me but not difficult to work out and look up.
    I liked 1 and 24a and 7 and 12d. I haven’t quite decided whether 18 or 20a is my favourite.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.
    Warm and sunny(ish) – grass needs cutting. :sad:

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Like you, I whizzed through this but got hung up on the last two, 14d and 26a. Why? Who knows.

8. Poppy
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Very pleased to have completed this without help today – rare for me! Like a few, I struggled a bit to start with, & then the answers began to flow. Last one in was 3d, as I kept trying to fit in a foreign museum – d’oh! My tomatoes have come in to flower – only my second ever attempt, hurrah! Can’t comment on the Lions as I know nothing about them (assuming we’re not talking safaris?), but hope those of you so preoccupied have a great time. Thank you BD and Setter for a good puzzle & hints.

9. SheilaP
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Liked today’s crossword. Our favourite was 4 down. Pity about the Lions, but the Wallabies were the better team & with a better kicker, would have won easily last week. On my kindle fire’s predictive text, the word Aussies comes out as Sissies. Let’s hope the Lions prove this to be true in the final match. Thank you setter & hinter.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

The first text message that I ever sent from a phone that did predictive text was to our daughters. I ended it by saying ‘With love, hugs and kisses from Mum’. ‘Mum’ came out as ‘nun’ – I may be many things but a nun isn’t one of them!

10. Dawn
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I romped through three quarters of this and then found SW corner really tough.

finished now but would not have got 18a without the hint…thanks BD!

It seems really quiet on here today?

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

It is quiet here today – I should think that everyone is watching whatever it is that Lions do or Wimbledon. I’ve just finished cutting 1/2 acre of grass – very hot.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hot?? Your weather can certainly change in a hurry!

Posted June 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

No – I meant that I was hot! And before there are any rude comments I mean that cutting grass is the kind of thing that makes one very warm! :smile:
        Actually the weather has been decent today – up to low 20’s which, given the way this summer is going, isn’t bad.

11. Michael
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Right – managed it without too many dramas. 1d was another new word to although it’s obvious from the cross letters (I don’t know what the technical term is but there must be one!)

I thought 20a and 4d were pretty weak clues – comparatively!

• Collywobbles
      Posted June 29, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Checking letters

12. Tantalus
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Thx to BD & the CGs and the tester for an enjoyable saturday here in Boston. Interestingly, in the US, 13a means a different course. There are so many differences I still trip over from biscuit to homely.

Thanksgiving next week. Union Jack aloft!

• Tantalus
      Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Talking of Anglo-american differences….

We all know the obvious word differences: fanny, biscuit, fag… (stop giggling in the back!). But it is the more subtle things that catch us out, that can wreck relationships, international trade and can even result in death. Here are some of the more sensitive examples:

Table (v): to postone (US), to discuss immediately (UK). [This difference was observed during WWII and thankfully was translated].

Pavement (n): roadway (US), pedestrial walkway (UK). [In England you walk on the pavement, in US you drive on the pavement].

Cordial (n): strong alcoholic drink (US), concentrated non-alcoholic fruit drink that is diluted before drinking (UK). [ The UK also uses the word “squash” to refer to this type of drink, which interestingly is almost exclusively in the US to describe a type of vegetable not dissimilar to a “swede” (UK)…]

To shake your head: to agree (US), to disagree (UK). [This has been the source on many problems with transatlantic conference calls and many folk still do not believe that this difference exists. In England, folks “nod” their head to give approval (pitch or moving the head vertically) and “shake” their head to disapprove (yaw or moving the head horizontally).

Pokey (adj): small (US), fast or powerful (UK). [a common term in the UK to describe cars that have very good acceleration].

And so to two examples of major differences not from language, but from actions… ones that fool many visitors. Unfortunately, the consequenses can be much more severe.

Traffic Lights: every one knows that red is for stop and green for go (except in Boston)… but Red and Yellow together in the US means definitely stop since a pedestrian or policeman has control over the lights. Red and Yellow together in the UK means definitely start since the lights will go green in the next second.

Being stopped by the Police: stay in the car (US), get out of the car (UK). [This almost cost me my life – I got out of the car to talk to the officer and he immediately drew his firearm and pointed it towards me…]

And on a lighter note, we all know that a gallon is different on the two sides of the pond, but almost no-one knows that the fluid-ounce is also different – and many a project has suffered from such confusion between imperial vs US units. Beware also that some folk educated in Britain may still use “billion” to mean 1 with 12 zeros, where as the US it means 1 with 9 zeros. Did I mention Aluminininimum?

[all from my greenwellies blog]

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

You have reminded me of my first visit to the States in the 70s. It was January and I was met at a snow covered Chicago O’Hare airport by an American colleague and his wife. She was wearing what we in the UK would call trousers or slacks, and when we got back to the car she slipped over in the snow and announced “I’ve just wet my pants”.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I heard of an American who asked why light controlled pedestrian crossings made a noise. The answer was so that blind people know when it’s safe to go. She replied that in the States they didn’t let blind people drive!

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Even though I was not brought up in UK, having Brit parents and going to Brit-based school, I am still confused sometimes, and I confuse others! People just accept it now, but I refuse to say “deepo” for depot and “zee” for zed.

I would also wish to include Miami in the confusion between red and green lights and the lack of indicators when changing lanes! You do not have a monopoly in Boston.

• una
        Posted June 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed reading this expose of two nations separated by a shared language.

• Expat Chris
      Posted June 29, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Thanksgiving next week? Ummm… here it doesn’t happen until November.

By the way, the Union Jack (I stubbornly refuse to call it the Union Flag) flies year round at our Southern Maryland house.

13. Bluebird
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today.
    Took a while to get last bit of 4d and 26 a.
    Liked ” mobile charger” and alternative meanings of ‘gallery’ and Hardy.
    Love these diversionary ones…..

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. I enjoyed this one, but alas, needed the hints for 18 & 26a. Was 2*/3* for me. Come on Laura.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a super puzzle, even though I got held up by two very easy ones. I loved particularly 18a and 4d … mobile charger, indeed! Clever, clever, clever. Thanks to hinter and setter, over all too soon.

I just hope Robson keeps this up!

16. Caravaggio
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I finished this splendid puzzle this morning and thought that it got off to a good start with 1a. Unfortunately, rugby and tennis then took over and I’ve only just realised that I hadn’t posted a reply so I apologise for my tardiness.

17. Collywobbles
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Usual fare for a Saturday and equally as enjoyable as all the others. If the DT has different setters on a Saturday I don’t understand why the level of difficulty is always similar. Anyway, like everyone else I started slow and then gathered speed. Thanks to the setter (whomever you are) and thanks to BD for the hints – some of which I needed

• Posted June 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I’m not so sure about the level of difficulty being similar – many would say that Cephas, whose “turn” it is today, is slightly easier than the other setter.

18. Outnumbered
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I also had the experience of having nothing after reading through the clues, but got there in a few sessions this morning, SW was the last corner in.

This was the same grid pattern as Fridays’s Toughie wasn’t it?

19. Addicted
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Loved 18a – once the penny had dropped!! Which took a time. Was stuck on 4d and 26a, so many thanks for hints BD. Enjoyed this one.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Test. Having trouble logging back on after clearing my cookies.

Posted June 29, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Don’t understand about ‘clearing cookies’ – do you mean you’ve eaten all the biscuits?!! Only joking – your comment has certainly appeared on the BD blog if that’s any help.

• Expat Chris
        Posted June 29, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

No, I’m not a cookie monster except when daughter-in-law makes cranberry crisps. My granson was complaining his laptop was slow. I was demonstrating to him on my computer how to clear out all the cookies that get deposited every time you visit an internet site, which slows the machine down. He had never done it! I now just have to sign in to my regular haunts again.

How about that Laura Robson, eh?

Posted June 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Isn’t she amazing! Maybe we have some hope for a Brit. I used to be a Serena supporter until she had that meltdown in NY a couple of years ago. I can’t root for someone with a mouth like that!

• Expat Chris
            Posted June 30, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

I have never been a fan of the Williams sisters. Too many histrionics. But there’s no denying that Serena is a powerhouse and an awesome talent. Robson’s time for a championship will come, but not just yet. Even so, she is having an amazing Wimbledon. My hopes are on Murray.

• Arthur Dent
              Posted June 30, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Murray seems to have grown up a bit since his “I support Scotland and anyone who is playing England” comment, and I now feel able to support him. I can’t see anyone beating Djokovic though…

21. Little Dave
    Posted June 30, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

All done 18a my favourite and yes 20a rather weak. Enjoyable though. And it is sunny!

22. weekendwanda
    Posted June 30, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Just enjoyed reading the hints and the comments. I never cease to be amazed by the similarities and differences between the solvers. I got about 70% in straightaway and then after a break got most of the others a little more slowly. 4d took longer than in should – I can usually guess the three or more word ones very quickly. Also had some difficulty in SW and with 26a. I too missed the significance of articulated. Last one in was 18a and looked in BRB. I had been misled cleverly as I thought the French word was the word for in and the anagram divided 1 + 2 and not 2 + 1. Brilliant clue and probably confounded the majority. For me the jury’s still out on 20a. It is either weak as Dave says or cleverly subtle. Thanks Cephas, Dave et al.

23. Kingsley
    Posted June 30, 2013 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Big Dave, just a question…I may have the spelling wrong for my answer to 3d (although my dictionary supports my spelling!), but in your hint for that clue, you say “the same two-letter word meaning about that was used in 8a inside a museum…”
    The clue, however, says that “about” must “go up” (be reversed), which will give the correct spelling of the answer (according to me, that is!) Am I wrong?

• Weekend Wanda
      Posted June 30, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

The above question is a conundrum I think. There is only one spelling for 3d I think and the first two letters of 8a are reversed in the answer to 3d with the name of a museum ateound them (albeit not written as we usually see it)

• Posted June 30, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I’ve amended the hint. Chambers gives two spellings of the word, but the one in the puzzle is the main entry.

24. Kevin (don't ask!)
    Posted June 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

1d is certainly a new word for me. Got 14 clues with your help BD, which is a record for moi. Just been consulting your hints, for which many thanks. However, still haven’t finished. Am completely stuck on 7d. Help!

• Posted June 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I’m sure you have been told how good Virgilius is at hiding answers in the clue – chalk up another victory to him!

Posted June 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

In yesterday’s Cephas puzzle for 7d you are looking for a word meaning hardy, which is an anagram (moving) of LINE inserted into another anagram (at sea) of RITES.

As BD quite rightly says, in today’s Sunday puzzle 7d has a very clever hidden word :)

Posted June 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Wires crossed? :smile:

• Kevin (don't ask!)
        Posted July 1, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

“Doh” again. Thanks, Sue!