Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs where the day has started bright and sunny: I doubt it will last.

I found the top half more difficult to get into than the bottom half, but once I had a foothold things fell into place, and I finished in ** time.

In the hints below the definitions are underlined.

1a           Cronies loured terribly about vote for anti-terrorism measure (9,5)
{ EXCLUSION ORDER } An anagram (terribly) of CRONIES LOURED and the letter used to mark a ballot paper.

9a           A tram is broken down beside river in Indian city (8)
{ AMRITSAR } Anagram (broken down) of A TRAM IS, followed by R iver.

10a         Lizard giving ‘ell in activity (5)
{ GECKO } A milder form of Hell as an expletive, missing its initial H, inside a two-letter noun meaning activity or energy.

12a         Volunteers lodged in posh hotel in state (4)
{ UTAH } A state of the USA. The initials of our volunteer soldiers are inside two further letters, the first being used for posh or upper-class, the second being represented by Hotel in the NATO alphabet.

13a         A container almost illuminated in area for dessert (10)
{ ZABAGLIONE } A (from the clue), a container and the first two letters (almost) of a three-letter word meaning illuminated, inside an area or region, producing this Italian custard.

15a         Greek character located beside cottage roof bird (8)
{ NUTHATCH } A charade of a Greek letter and the material that a cottage roof is traditionally covered with.

16a         Characteristic of a pig beginning to grunt and like a marsh? (6)
{ GREEDY } The first letter (beginning) of G runt followed by an adjective describing a variety of marsh, or the plants growing in it.

18a         University’s returned excellent piece of earthenware in fanciful state ? (6)
{ UTOPIA } This is the name of an imaginary place which in the original Greek means ‘nowhere’. Start with U niversity then take the two-letter expression which looks like a top rating in the insurance market and a three-letter piece of earthenware and reverse them.

20a         Sucker might enjoy this work in ornate apse (8)
{ PASTILLE } A verb meaning to work the soil inside an anagram (ornate) of APSE.

23a         Sinister figure with sly look holding paper and set of cards (4-6)
{ LEFT-HANDER } Sinister as opposed to dexter.  The initials of a financial newspaper and the set of cards dealt to an individual player in a card game, inside a sly look.

24a         Figure of authority among fascists arguably (4)
{ TSAR } Hidden in the clue.

26a         A leg I shook, being of supple disposition (5)
{ AGILE } Anagram (shook) of A LEG I.

27a         Lover is increasingly averse to alcohol, cutting a round (8)
{ AMORETTO } An adverb meaning increasingly and the two letters indicating someone who does not drink alcohol inside (cutting) A (from the clue) and a round letter.

28a         Historic rebellion disrupted pastoral events (8,6)
{ PEASANTS REVOLT } Anagram (disrupted) of PASTORAL EVENTS.

2d           Smallish   item in woman’s handbag ? (7)
{ COMPACT } This is a double definition: smallish; and an item in a woman’s handbag.  It’s also a single cryptic definition.

3d           Educational place beginning to transform army division (4)
{ UNIT } An abbreviation for an institute of tertiary education, followed by the first letter (beginning to) of T ransform.

4d           Occasion at crease with what’s adopted there? (8)
{ INSTANCE } A two-letter word describing a batsman who’s at the crease, followed by a word describing the pose he adopts to receive a ball.

5d           Absolutely not keeping right in this country (6)
{ NORWAY } A phrase (2,3) for ‘absolutely not’ with R ight inside it, giving a northern European country.

6d           Consistent character from say university lecturer? Something seldom seen outwardly (10)
{ REGULARITY } Something seldom seen is wrapped around (outwardly) the  Latin abbreviation meaning  say or for example, U niversity and L ecturer.

7d           Pen and put in letter ? (7)
{ ENCLOSE } Double definition: a verb meaning ‘to put in a pen; and something put into a letter (a cheque if you’re lucky!)

8d           One left? That might summarise this unhappy singleton (6,5)
{ LONELY HEART } An all-in-one clue forsomeone who has been abandoned by a lover, (or a solitary red card in a bridge hand). The answer also describes the position of One (from the clue) and L eft in a word meaning solitary. Thanks to BD for pointing out the wordplay, which I missed altogether.

11d         Sudden advance from designer Mary, up to clothe fussy male (7,4)
{ QUANTUM LEAP } The surname of the 1960s designer, followed by UP (from the clue) wrapped around an anagram (fussy) of MALE.

14d         Prodigality in ladies, say, is displayed before hard head (10)
{ LAVISHNESS } A charade of an abbreviated form of the word for the room which may have ‘Ladies’ on the door, IS (from the clue), the letter used to denote hardness in a pencil, and a cape or headland.

17d         Bird seen above endless river eager for feed (8)
{ RAVENOUS } The bird who quoth ‘Nevermore’ in the Poe poem, followed by the name of a river, of which there are several examples in England, minus its final E (endless).

19d         Toff is upset over employee latterly away from work ? (3-4)
{ OFF-SITE } Anagam (upset) of TOFF IS followed by (over, in a Down clue) the last letter (latterly) of employe E .

21d         Dilapidated hotels with nothing to be seen in African country (7)
{ LESOTHO } Anagram (dilapidated) of HOTELS followed by the letter which looks like zero.

22d         Fruitlessly drugs may circulate here, we hear (2,4)
{ IN VAIN } A homophone (we hear) of a phrase describing where injected drugs may be.

25d         Give up with tennis star on the air (4)
{ CEDE } Another homophone (on the air), this time describing the players whose place in the draw is predetermined, to ensure that the top players do not meet in the early rounds.

The Quick Crossword pun { BORE }{ KNEE }{ OWE } = { BORNEO }

Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable albeit straightforward puzzle. I agree with DT’s rating of **/*** Many thanks to the setter and to DT ( aided by BD! ) for the hints, which I only needed to understand the wordplay fully for 6d and 8d.

“Loured” in the clue for 1d was a new word for me, as would have been the answer for 27a except that we had it a few days ago :-)

Last one in 25d. Favourite 23a, with 8d running it close following BD’s explanation!

• Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Shakespeare Richard III

Now is the winter of our discontent
      Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
      And all the clouds that lour’d upon our house
      In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I only ever remember the first two lines :-(

And anyway what is a glorious summer? That’s a new one for me too.

• SheilaP
          Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

And I always thought it was son of York,which just goes to show how little I know of Shakespeare.

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t think spelling was Shakespeare’s strength. He even struggled at times with his own name!

• Shamus
              Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Indeed, his full name is an anagram of “I am a weakish speller” (useless info of the day?). Thanks as ever to Deep Threat for his blog and everyone for their comments.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

That’s clever – didn’t know that, and as for the ‘useless info of the day’ bit I don’t think that any info is ever useless, particularly when addicted to cryptic crosswords.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one today; and one letter away from a pangram. 27a went in very quickly, having seen the same word clued by Rufus last week. 2*/4* for me.
    Thanks to setter (this felt like Shamus, but i’m normally wrong), and to Deep Threat for the review.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

The time we took for this puts into at least *** territory for us. Last one in was 20a as it took some time to work out the work. An enjoyable puzzle that we thought might be by the same setter as the Toughie.
    Thanks Mr Ron and DT.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Well we got that one wrong. Sorry Shamus.

4. Michael
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

6d had me foxed – I had the word but now I see the explanation it seems rather convoluted – ‘rarity’ around ‘eg’ and ‘u’ and ‘l’.

A really good puzzle – very enjoyable!

5. Graham
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I needed assistance on a couple of clues today having never heard of 13A my favourite was 15A many thanks to DT for the review & think I will go & play 8D on the I pod.

• HughGfan
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

If you have a sweet tooth for a dessert you really must try it. Most italian restaurants serve it , generally for 2 and it has to be eaten directly its made.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Complete difference of opinion there! I think it’s yucky – just sweet and gooey.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

You’re not missing much with 13a, in my opinion anyway.

• Expat Chris
        Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Ah, Kath! I used to make this quite often and I love it. Have you tried it chilled and folded into whipped cream and layered in a wine goblet with fresh sliced strawberries? Delicious and pretty. Or just a good dollop on the top of a bowl of mixed berries. Either way, the fresh berries cut the sweetness.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

I really don’t like it – just give me the fruit, preferably with some home made ice cream – yum yum! :smile:

6. una
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

It became a pleasure when I finally realised that the missing letter in 1a anagram was “x”.You could say I made a quantum leap, which was my favourite. 20a remained elusive,and I needed the full unabridged hint.Thanks to setter and Deep Threat.

7. Clarky
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Short of time today so needed a couple of hints to see me through. Good fun clues. 11d being my favourite today. Thanks to setter and DT.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. I enjoyed the challenge, but found it very difficult, needed 3 hints to finish. Couldn’t get 13a,16a & 20a. Was 3*/3* for me. Favourite was 14d. Weather a bit Cloudy in Central London.

9. BigBoab
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword if on the gentle side, thanks to the setter and Deep Threat for a most amusing review.

10. HughGfan
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Need a few prods today. Not happy about being regarded as sinister though – some of the nicest people are lefties roll on the 13th of August (International Left-Handers Day). Seriously a super puzzle and a great review.

11. Bluebird
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

This was a stretch for me today. Three left at the end in SE.

I wouln’t say Anything that had loured in it or answers like 27a 23d (although I got that) or 25d could be classed as ** but still…….am in the minority today!

12. pommers
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Nearly a pangram but it’s missing a J. Never mind, we’ll get a Jay tomorrow :grin:

2*/4* from me.

Thanks to Mr Ron ad DT.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

And Ray T this Thursday, unless I’ve got scrambled with my weeks.

13. Steve_the_beard
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I finished this in three-star time and was quite happy that I’d got all of the nuances, then I read BD’s wordplay for 8D and didn’t understand it! I’ve got it now, after a third reading…

Thanks to all involved ;-)

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

This was more difficult than 2* for me – much more like a 3* and probably nearly a 4* for enjoyment.
    I got as far as thinking about the possibility of a pangram but should have known better – whenever I start thinking along those lines it never is and then when it is one I miss it!!
    I was stupidly slow to get the 28a anagram – could see it was an anagram and knew the letters – just couldn’t get it for ages. 20a also took a while – actually, lots of them did!
    I liked 9, 23 and 26a and 2, 8 and 11d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Deep Threat.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I needed the hint to understand the why of 20a, but the others were all understandable. Full disclosure, I did need gizmo to get 13a and 2d, why? I don’t know as they are pretty standard and felt I could kick myself when I got the answer. Good start to the day. Thanks to all for the enjoyment.

Was sorry to see Watson out but we still live on with Robson. With Serena in the mix, I don’t think anyone else really stands a chance. I think she could give most of the men a run for their money, with a mouth to match. Meow.

16. Collywobbles
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Definitely 3* territory for me but I did finish with thanks to DT

17. Derek
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Magnificent sunny day today in NL!

Straightforward solve – my faves : 1a, 13a, 23a, 27a, 4d, 8d, 11d & 17d.

My late wife used to make magnificent 13a’s.

Roast chicken and chips tonight with Menetou-Salon rouge.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Finished with help from DTs hints but not my favourite. Too many homophones (never my strong point) and no smile clues.
    Also I thought 27a was an ice-cream! Not a word I know so learned one thing today.
    Thx to DT for the excellent clues.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve cream is a dessert, is it not?

Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Cancel that, autocorrect changed my “ice” into “I’ve”

Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

And I thought it was an almondy liqueur – a) trust me to think of booze and b) so what am I thinking of?

19. Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

This isn’t at all relevant to today’s crossword but I thought Kath, Mary and Co might like to know that my first grandson, to be known as Alfie, arrived this afternoon weighing in at 8lb 2oz. Mother and baby doing well, father apparently exhausted :)

• Balliejames
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Many congratulations, I also remember being exhausted and had to take the midwife for a cup of coffee. Buena Vida Alfie!

• Derek
        Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Your name makes me think of Jamestown near Alexandria Dunbartonshire!

Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

What’s it all about, Alfie! What a big baby! Welcome from all of us. Does this mean you’ll be babysitting now, Sue?

• Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

They are in Northern Ireland so I won’t be visiting for a while. He does look quite chunky but he is quite a small baby by my standards, Stephen (the dad) was 9lb 11oz and his brother was 9lb 15oz.

• Derek
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Sue – new life is always a pleasure and a challenge for future betterment!

• una
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Congratulations ! Well done Stephen and partner. My Chambers says Alfie means “good councilor “, which is a nice meaning.

• SheilaP
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Congratulations cs & Best Wishes to all concerned. My husband went back home to bed leaving me to get on with it when I had our 2nd son.

• Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. Will we see future blog posts headed CrypticGrandma?

• jezza
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Congratulations from us too!

Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

How lovely and how exciting. I do, of course, want to know and so would Mary – since she has disappeared again today with no request for time off, I hope that she will forgive me for speaking for her. She is, of course, an old hand at this ‘Granny stuff’ – I’m just dead jealous!

• Expat Chris
      Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Many congratulations. My two grandkids (now 13 and 8) are the light of my life and I learn from them all the time. What shall you be called? I’m Grandma. Mr Expat ojbected to Grandad or Grampy and decided that he was to be known as Grumpy, which he can be but never with the g-kids. It’s since affectionately shortened by grandson to Grumps. The g-kids love it, he loves it, and it’s a conversation piece with new friends. A win-win-win.

20. pete
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one. Not many bloggers today. Must all be glued to the tv watching the two weeks of silly voices show.
    Thanks to setter and ST for the review.

Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I’ve been at a conference all day in fiendishly hot and muggy Washington D. C. so only just getting around to posting. I really enjoyed this, allthough 1A, 13A, 20A and 6D took me ages to work out. 12A and 23A emerged at the top of my list of ‘likes’. Many thanks to Shamus and to DT for the review.

Just about to start the Toughie at 5.30 pm in the evening, not the time I usually at at my sharpest. We’ll see how it goes.

22. Miffypops
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Beaten again. No time to really sit and enjoy so I don’t mind 1ac 13ac 20ac 3d 7d 8d 14d 17d and 27d not completed. I have spent two hours collecting a parcel from Birmingham that went straight into the bin when i got it home. An hour mowing our field and ages helping Saint Sharon put stuff back into our garage whilst still leaving room for both mowers. We have been out to The Moon And Sixpence for a meal with both crib teams. One came equal second in the league and one came bottom for the second year running. Guess which one I play for.. Night Night. Everybody Peeps. Ta to all

Posted June 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Still trying to catch up ! Thank you setter and DT – managed to finish at 0630 this morning !

%d bloggers like this: