Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ***/****Enjoyment **

Was this a puzzle put in the wrong envelope? I found it a tad more difficult than the usual back-page (or is it inside back-page?) puzzle.

1a    In agreement to make amends (5)
{ATONE} – split as (2,3) this could mean in agreement

4a    Depression restricting spring expedition (8)
{DISPATCH} – a depression or trench around (restricting) a mineral spring

10a    He cuts with a right — pure boxing (7)
{SHEARER} – this person who cuts wool from a sheep is derived by putting the A from the clue and R(ight) inside (boxing) an adjective meaning pure or absolute

Shearer

11a    Without hesitation battered fish is put in front of fellow officer (7)
{SHERIFF} – a two-letter expression of hesitation with an anagram (battered) of FISH around it (without) and followed by F(ellow) – regular readers will know what I think of without as an inclusion indicator!

Sorry Clapton fans, but I prefer this version!

12a    Offensive characters recalled from ‘Tess of the d’Urbervilles’ (4)
{RUDE) – hidden (characters … from) and reversed (recalled) inside the clue – “Tess of” is padding provided solely for the surface reading

13a    Private remark the opposite of flip? (5)
{ASIDE} – as (1-4) this is the main song on a record (the opposite of the flip) – the kind of clue for which wearing a slightly-mad hat can help!

14a    Wife given a kiss then getting yen for pasty (4)
{WAXY} – W(ife) followed by the A from the clue, the letter which represents a kiss and Y(en)

17a    Artists’ bust piece of furniture? (5,2,7)
{CHEST OF DRAWERS} – this could be the bust or breast belonging to some artists – do these artists really have only one bust between them? It doesn’t work for me

19a    Data processor sensing less crucial question (6,8)
{NUMBER CRUNCHER} – an adjective meaning sensing or felling less followed by a crucial question

22a    A fancy for an outstanding hairdo (4)
{AFRO} – the A from the clue followed by an anagram (fancy) of FOR

23a    Dazed soldier facing major operation wanting answer (5)
{GIDDY} – an American soldier followed by the major operation that he may have been involved in on 6th June 1944 (1-3)without (wanting) the A(nswer)

24a    Press sarcasm’s not unknown (4)
{IRON} – drop the Y (mathematical unknown) from some sarcasm

27a    Cocktail that’s more than 50 per cent gin or geneva brought round (7)
{NEGRONI} – hidden (more than 50 per cent) and reversed (brought round) inside the clue

28a    No women at this point can be out of the running (7)
{NOWHERE} – NO followed by W(omen) and an adverb meaning at this point

29a    Shop whose customers are nearly all departing (4-4)
{DUTY-FREE} – not an undertaker, but a shop based at an airport

30a    Annoyed he spent so much time in the bank? (5)
{RATTY} – this character in The Wind in the Willows spends a lot of time in the riverbank

1d           Area below tar’s not concrete (8)
{ABSTRACT} – an area or expanse follows (below) the usual sailor (tar) and the S from ‘S

2d           Old foliage denied onset of rain is behindhand (7)
{OVERDUE} – O(ld) followed by some foliage without the R (onset / initial letter of rain)

3d           Spike Milligan finally getting merit (4)
{EARN} – a spike of corn followed by the final letter of MilligaN

5d           Tricky dealing with revolting ingrained dirt covering son (7,7)
{INSIDER TRADING} – an anagram (revolting) of INGRAINED DIRT around  (covering) S(on)

6d           Look, keep up! (4)
{PEEK} – KEEP reversed (up)

7d           State of invisibility produced by emaciated appearance? (4,3)
{THIN AIR} – an adjective meaning emaciated followed by an appearance or aura

8d           Joyful expression, swallowing daily stout (5)
{HEFTY} – a joyful expression around (swallowing) a daily newspaper

9d           Terrific losses circulated in trade information (5-9)
{CROSS-FERTILISE} – an anagram (circulated) of TERRIFIC LOSSES gives a hyphenated word meaning to trade or swap ideas

15d         Cigarette ends trainee’s start in reserves (5)
{STUBS} – the initial letter (start) of Trainee inside some of the reserves who sit on the bench

16d         Stormy endless winter wind (5)
{TWINE} – an anagram (stormy) of WINTE(R) without its final letter (endless) gives a verb meaning to wind or coil

18d         House where it’s warm or boiling conserving energy (8)
{ORANGERY} – OR followed by an adjective meaning boiling or seething around E(nergy)

20d         Joanna’s above reproach (7)
{UPRIGHT} – a type of piano (joanna)

21d         Darts welcoming very tense result (7)
{HARVEST} – a verb meaning darts or races around V(ery) and followed by T(ense)

22d         Spotty Cockney’s common-sounding (5)
{ACNED} – sounds like how a Cockney might say (by dropping the initial H) an adjective meaning common or unoriginal

25d         Party’s very loud in shed (4)
{DOFF} – a two-letter word for a party followed by the musical notation for very loud

26d         More modern navy scuppered vessel (4)
{EWER} – start with an adjective meaning more modern and drop (scuppered) the N(avy)

I rather expect a mixed reaction to this one.  Can’t say I enjoyed it much, but it wasn’t too bad.  We are having the (leaking) roof over our porch/bay window replaced and, surprise surprise, there are problems.

The Quick crossword pun: (toe} + {stand} + {mar} + {might} = {toast and Marmite®}

1. Collywobbles
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I found that, once I had got the big ones, it became a lot easier. I thought it was a very clever puzzle

2. skempie
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Morning all. Personally, I felt this was a superb back page puzzle. Yes it was difficult, yes it was solvable but no, it was not unintelligible (as I find a lot of the Toughies are).
    It took quite a while to get into the setter’s mindset and I kept having to get back into it all the way through the puzzle but it was an immense feeling of satisfaction as 18D finally fell into place and I finished.
    Some lovely clues today, 23A, 9D and 18D really stood out, but I thought 6D very clever (if very obvious) and very well disguised.

• Collywobbles
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Thoroughly agreed

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Not sure 18d is really a house, so I spent far too long pondering that

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it a word attached to some restaurants?

• Posted June 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Although some might call it a house, Chambers gives:
        A building for growing orange trees in a cool climate

and the ODE gives:
        a building like a large conservatory where orange trees are grown

Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I don’t care about the dictionary definitions – it is SUCH a lovely picture. There is a beautiful one at a wonderful garden not very far from us. It is called Waterperry Gardens so anyone in the Oxford area should go and have a look – the garden is absolutely amazing.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I liked this very much. A little more thought than normal required, but very satisfying. 3*/4* for me.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

RIP Tom Sharpe, one of my favourite writers.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I’m with you all the way on this. I do enjoy this setter (mad hat and all).
      I loved the early Tom Sharpe books which were absolutely hilarious. I remember reading Wilt on a long train journey – I laughed so much that the other passengers started moving away.

• Jezza
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Yes – his early works were better; I particularly enjoyed the South African ones, Riotous Assembly, and Indecent Exposure.

• mary
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

How was the holiday jezza, my brother and his wife have come home 8 days early as the weather in Spain and France was soooo bad!?

• Jezza
            Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Hi mary. We had a very nice time thank you. The weather was mixed in Brittany, but a good overall average, with a few days of blue sky.

• mary
              Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Yes I think Brittany has had nicer weather, glad you enjoyed

4. Roger
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

We’ve gone back to the bad old days with the Thursday crossword. I managed three. Not a clue as to the rest and frankly couldn’t care less what the answers are. This is so far off the scale of difficulty that it has no place IMO as a cryptic. -100 for enjoyment. +100 for difficulty.

As I have said before, nothing wrong with having a crossword that is a tad bit more difficult. But I usually manage all the crosswords bar perhaps two or three clues. So a slightly more difficult crossword, I would argue, would be one where remaining clues were maybe 8 or 9. But to have a crossword where only three clues were solved is taking the water.

I’m bloody angry.

• skempie
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Try The Sun

• Roger
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Very helpful reply. Much appreciated. Your generosity of spirit is overwhelming.

• Lordluvvaduck
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

It must be wonderful to really clever.

• mary
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

skempie, I used to do the sun crosswords and I don’t know what it may say about me but I thoroughly enjoyed them

• pommette
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Roger – yes it was tough but even I managed about 10 on my own, and I’m a “clueless” solver.
      You do have to think slightly “out-of-the-box” with this setter – and yes a mad hat helps.
      Go back and read all of BDs explanations and see where they answers came from.
      This should help you understand the construction – this is how I first started – and having my own personal blogger helps too,
      Remember too that with the DT the further through the week you go the more difficult they become.

• mary
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hi pommette nice to ‘see’ you, how is pommers behaving, miss you both on here :-)

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Good to have you back!

• mary
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I managed 10 and have now given up no preservation today

• Grumpy Andrew
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Entirely agree Roger, I hated this too. Ignore skempie’s ill-mannered remark, people should be allowed to express their dislike of a puzzle without being abused, otherwise this blog will just turn into a dull succession of people all saying how wonderful every puzzle is.

• fortis 70
      Posted June 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

i didn’t think it was that difficult, certainly not as difficult as the toughie but i although i put ratty for annoyed, nothing else would fit of course, i don’t see the word play. i thought the times might indicate the two T’s but don’t see where the surrounding ray comes from, doesn’t seem to link with bank. very odd i think

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Far too hard for me ! Finished it but it was a real struggle. Thank you setter – I think I would rather have easier ones which don’t take me quite so long ! Especially as it is our wedding anniversary and we have guests for lunch. Thank you BD for your review and hints to date ! Time to open the bar !

• pommette
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Happy Anniversary SW, to you and Mrs SW. T’was ours yesterday.
      Dare I ask how many years?
      I’ve had to put up with the grumpy old man now for 37!

• Sweet William
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

43 – Happy Anniversary to you and Pommers – glass of Ribena possibly !! I think I have had one – maybe two !

6. Paul Smith
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

i sympathise with Roger, and found this a real crippler to be honest. Nearly there though, but I need two of your down hints, Dave!

• Jezza
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Which two do you require hints for?

• Paul Smith
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

3d and 22d

I have an idea, but not sure if my answer to 22d would be correct

• Jezza
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

22d – the definition is Spotty, and the wordplay behind it is a homophone (sounding) of an adjective meaning ‘common’, dropping its initial letter (indicated by Cockney).

• Paul Smith
            Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks! It was the word I was thinking of, but I didn’t think it was grammatically correct. One for my education.

I even found 17a difficult until I had a moment of revelation!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I agree, not at all sure of the correctness of 22d. I took a long time with 17a as I had put “butts” in for 15d; reserves as in buts and the “t” from trainee. Just as good an answer as the right one!

• Jezza
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

3d – Spike here is false capitalisation; you are looking for what a spike might be, as in relation to wheat or grain, followed by the last letter (finally) of Milligan, giving a verb meaning to merit.

• Franny
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I had trouble with 22d too. Think of someone suffering from bad pimples, or a synonym for clichéd and remove the h.

• spindrift
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

3d – spike – “corn piece” + last letter of Milligan
        22d – “area of london” as pronouncd by a cockney with a D at the end

• Paul Smith
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I’m there now. Thanks everyone!

7. spindrift
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Horses for courses I suppose. I’m with Skempie on this. It was very difficult but with a touch of lateral thinking I got there in the end.

If you want an annoying example of a puzzle then take a look at yesterday’s FT. It was one of those that split answers across & down persistently & may have even split individual words. Now that made me bloody angry to echo Roger.

8. Only fools
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle that I found very testing but enjoyable .
    Joint favourites 17a ,23a
    Thanks to setter and BD .

9. Alan
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I would be interested in the views of others on this one. I hated it. Normally when I ‘get it’ I smile, the d’ oh moment. However with this one my reaction was more a grimace and ‘But that’s drivel. However that’s just me. Others appear to enjoy it. On reflection my views have changed and I think having a really tough one occasionally is good for those who find most puzzles too easy. So from now on I will grin and bear it rather than girn :) .

• Captain Lethargy
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I’m totally with you on this one. It was hard, but there is no fun in being able to whistle through every day in 0.25 nano seconds. I completed it – just – but had to work at it. My old school teacher used to say “It’s character forming!”
      Now, it’s sunny and warm and time for a sit in the garden.

10. Tridymite
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I agree with Roger, far too tough for me despite seeing 17a straight off.

11. Franny
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

i wasn’t on the right wave length for this at all today and managed barely half before needing BD’s hints. So, thanks for them, BD, and I hope your leaking roof problems are over soon. :-)

• Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

If it rains at the moment we are in trouble – there isn’t a roof!

• Jezza
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I spent quite a lot of money about a year ago to replace a leaking roof that wasn’t leaking. It later turned out to be the rotten wooden timbers in the bay window that were letting in the water and running down through the cavity behind. That was another few hundred quid to fix.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

It’s not going to rain – the forecast is good for several days.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Definitely WED in my opinion. If this one had been called a Toughie I would have admitted defeat very quickly but it wasn’t so I didn’t.
    I finally finished it – it’s taken ages so at least 4* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment because although I really struggled I did enjoy it.
    Putting ‘butts’ for 15d very early on didn’t do much to help but made sense at the time – ‘reserves’ = ‘reservations’ = ‘buts’ outside ‘T’. OK – so it was one of my less good ideas.
    Having read through all the clues once I only had seven answers – I know because I counted them.
    I’ve never heard of the 27a cocktail so the combination of that and the fact that it was not only hidden but reversed meant that it was my last answer.
    I thought there were some very clever clues.
    I liked so many of these that I can’t put them all down so will just pick a few so as not to bore everyone – 14a and 22d. My favourite was 30a which I loved.
    With thanks to today’s setter and to BD – hope that the leaky roof problems are sorted out soon.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I put in “butts” also and I think it’s a perfectly good answer, just not the right one

13. DavidR
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty heavy going. It didn’t help that one of my first answers in was 15d, I put my ‘t’ in to reservations rather than reserves and ended up with butts! Needed a few hints to crack it. It took ages so I will now be mowing the lawn with mad dogs and Englishmen. It’s ‘scorchio’ in Godalming. Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Me too with 15d and also going to cut grass in hot sun, WITH a mad dog – but the Englishman is at work!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I had my inside back page hat on when I started this one (give us our back page back!) which was a mistake as I think this one had been put in the wrong envelope. It took me an age to solve (4* difficulty) with tippex, crossing out and much muttering involved. With hindsight and rereading, it is an enjoyable puzzle but when I first finished I was more 30a than 23a and definitely in need of a 27a :) Thanks to Petitjean (I am 99% sure it must be you) and BD too.

The Firefly Toughie takes less time than this to solve, whilst remaining a toughie rather than an IBP (give us our back page back)

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Oh good – now I feel justified in having found it difficult.

• pommette
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Nice One Sue!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Where have you been Pommette? We have really missed you and I do believe you didn’t fill in any of the proper paperwork before you disappeared :)

15. mary
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Finding this really hard going but out in the sunshine with it so can’t complain, I am trying to do a weeks puzzles without using any of my electronic friends or books and so far am failing miserably, yesterday was the closest I got with three left in the top R/H corner! I think today will definitely be another failiure! Ah well back to the sunshine and the puzzle :-)

• Colmce
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Funny ain’t it, no real problems today and yesterday was a nightmare…wavelength.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

How was your holiday and your birthday? Hope that it was all good, including the weather. Nice to see you back – had started to wonder whether you’d filled in enough forms for such a long absence. :smile:

• mary
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Oh dear sorry Kath I was only supposed to be absent for a week but the weather has been much too nice to be indoors on the computer, I am only in now to get a respite from the heat!!!
        Holiday was great and birthday too as we were away for it, that’s the way I like them now, quiet, funny how things change, hope the dog (name?) is better? Shadow is twelve today!
        I am awaiting a phone call from the pain clinic by way of appointment!!! the letter said any time between 1pm and 6pm!!!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Glad that you had a good holiday and birthday. Annie (our collie) is better but keeps having funny little wobbles – she’s given a whole new meaning to ‘collywobbles’! She will be fourteen in August.
          As for the pain clinic – oh dear! Why is it that their time is SO much more important than yours?

16. Argibbo
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Struggled. Had to resort to BD! I really like the harder ones, as long as the clues make sense eventually.

17. Colmce
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Oooh I’m glad to see BD’s rating and CS’ comments as I got through this only marginally more slowly than Mondays Rufus.

Obviously the time I spent last year learning at the feet of Petitjean was not wasted!

All in all very enjoyable.

Thanks to BD for the review which pointed out some nuances I had missed.

Thanks to the setter.

18. Beaver
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Glad it was’nt just me,i thought it harder than some toughies,very obscure clues today,a **** difficulty with a *** enjoyment as it took too long, and on completion i had a sense of relief rather than achievement ! need to open a bottle of wine.Four hedgehogs in the garden last night, word of free food must be getting round.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I absolutely loved it! Challenging, yes, but so enjoyable, and completed without hints. Too many check marks against the ones I like to mention, but 30A was the runaway favorite. Made me splutter my coffee. Super! Many thanks to the setter and, as always, to BD for the review.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I believe that Andrea is heading in your direction, more of a wet event rather than wind, dangerous nevertheless

• Expat Chris
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Uh oh. First I’ve heard. Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Andrea?

• Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink
        • Expat Chris
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Merusa is in Miami and is probably getting hammered right now. I’m in Southern Maryland which is about as far as it’s projected to reach at the moment. If Andrea stays over land we may well get some extremely heavy rain. She’s a tropical storm, not a hurricane, so this time around we don’t have to worry about damaging winds. I’ll be putting all my plant pots under the roof overhang though so they aren’t drowned!

• andy
            Posted June 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Jeez, me moaning that in peterborough uk we’ve missed the sun this week .Stay safe Expat Chris

• Expat Chris
              Posted June 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

That’s kind. Thanks. Merusa’s the one currently in they eye of the storm. But those Floridians are tough. A hurricane, or even a tropical storm, is an excuse for a party down there!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

So far we are being lucky but it may get worse later. They had tornadoes in Palm Beach. No party for me, too old and been through too many hurricanes to take them lightly!

• Expat Chris
                  Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

You are in my thoughts.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks. We are starting to get the heavy rains now. The eye is up near Tallahassee and these are just outer bands, it is a HUGE system.

20. Riggles
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Very pleased to finish this one, after a pause as I’d seemingly come to a dead end. Once the grey matter was back on form, I put in 23A without understanding the ‘major operation’ bit, and 18D was my last clue in, and probably my favourite too, plus I’d never heard of the word. **** enjoyment for me.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I don’t whether it is significant but today is the 69th anniversary of the 23a major operation.

• pommers
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Actually what’s in the answer isn’t a major operation but the day on which it took place. The operation was OVERLORD.

• mary
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Hola pommers:-)

• spindrift
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

18d is worth remembering as it does crop up now and again. another one is “orerry” as a mechanical model of the solar system

• Physicist
        Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

“Orrery”, actually, after the Earl of.

• spindrift
          Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

D’oh! Thank you. I stand corrected. What’s the use of telling someone that it would be useful to remember an incorrectly spelt word?

21. BigBoab
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for a very enjoyable crossword indeed, not overly difficult but enough to get ones teeth into, thanks also to BD for the very concise and interesting review.

22. Bluebird
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Well, it was clever but irritating. I finally admitted defeat and went to the hints with three NW corner answers missing.
    Why was the 2,3 in 1a not specified?
    ‘Without hesitation’ where ‘without’ means the rest of the answer is ‘around’ the abbr for without is just annoying – grrrr (can you use that in a clue, setter?

On the plus side, I did like 18d, 15d (cheeky – I was also diverted by butts for a moment) and 2d, once I got it.

Off to a quiz followed by allotment……

• Phil McNeill
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Hello Bluebird

The theory I would use for the letter count on 1A is that two words can be put together to make one (as happens in many wordplay clues), but one word can’t be split up to make two words without that being indicated.

All the best
      Phil
      (Telegraph Crossword Editor)

• pommette
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Bluebird – the answer actually means “MAKE AMENDS” – if split 2,3 it means “in agreement”

23. HughGfan
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Bit of a wipe out day for me also – whew. Only about half went in without the use of hints, thanks BD. Seems this puzzle is like the last bit of the quick pun. Some like it some don’t. Still sometimes its good to be stretched.

24. pommers
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Yep, a tricky little rascal but we got there in the end! Had to look up the cocktail as we’d never heard of it. Gin, vermouth and Campari – sounds rather disgusting IMHO!

4*/4* for me.

Thanks to setter and BD

• spindrift
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

You won’t know until you try it. Although you are a chemist so will probably know what the active ingredients are and what they might deliver. It’s only a Gin & It with a dash of fruit based liqueur so it can’t that bad. I know I’ve drunk worse concoctions in my day.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I don’t think it’s a cocktail the average Joe would order so probably unheard of by most

Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Certainly one that I’ve never heard of – not that I’ve heard of many – I leave all cocktails to the elder generation (ie my Mum’s age and she’s nearly 91) and the younger generation (ie our younger daughter who is 32.) Do we think that cocktails have skipped a generation?

Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the review and hints. Was definitely a Wrong Envelope Job in my opinion. However, I did enjoy the struggle, and was 10 answers short when I resorted to the hints. I needed 4, and had to look 2 up, and managed to solve another 4 when I had some more checkers. Favourites were 13,17,23a, and had a penny-drop moment with 29a. Some good clues, but on the whole found it difficult. Was 4*/4* for me. Lovely weather in central London. May look at the Toughie, but feel I’ve already attempted one :-)

• spindrift
      Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Wrong envelope – So does that mean the Toughie is bit easier than normal? I must confess to not having looked at it given the warnings earlier in the week.