DT 27193 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27193 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s a new Prize Puzzle today, why not have a go?  This month the winner will receive “The Daily Telegraph Cracking Cryptic Crosswords Collection” – four books of daily puzzles in a slipcase, kindly donated by Tilsit

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Bees do it in sun, getting quite hot (5)
S(un) followed by an adjective meaning quite hot

4a           May goes round Welsh resort, we hear, with nothing on, just a set of bells (8)
A verb with a similar meaning to may (I don’t want to get into a pedantry here!) around what sounds like a resort on the north coast of Wales and O (nothing)

8a           Merry Margery, flipping meanie (8)
An adjective meaning merry or intoxicated followed by the reversal (flipping) of the Margery who once, according to the nursery rhyme, played on a seesaw

11a         Amount of money put up with a little being declared (4,3)
A slang verb meaning to put up with or tolerate followed by what sounds like (being declared) a four-letter word meaning a little

13a         Brandy very gently poured into beer by sailor (5-4)
The musical notation for very gently inside (poured into) a beer and followed by a four-letter word for a sailor

Any excuse for a video!

15a         Elation centred around European agreement (7,8)
An anagram (around) of ELATION CENTRED followed by E(uropean)

25a         Machine regulator‘s smart turn (8)
An adjective meaning smart or shrewd followed by a verb meaning to turn or rotate

Flywheel

26a         Heating unit hospital needed in time (5)
H(ospital) inside a period of time, for a schoolchild perhaps

A touch of nostalgia!

1d           Payment made by end of dispute (10)
Two definitions – final payment of a bill and the resolution of a dispute

2d           Views expressed in debate are not admitting fix (8)
The abbreviated form of “are not” around a verb meaning to fix or glue

4d           Australian swimmer’s first to get tailpiece (4)
A(ustralian) after (first) a swimmer or fish gives a passage of music forming the completion of a piece, rounding it off to a satisfactory conclusion

5d           Guarantee radio listener may hear near the coast (6)
This verb meaning to guarantee sounds like (radio listener may hear) near the coast

7d           Exodus found in New Testament, or immediately after? (4)
The biblical abbreviation for the book of Exodus (which is in the Old Testament!)inside the abbreviation for the New Testament

17d         Seamen in the drink (8)
Some sailors followed by IN THE from the clue

19d         Fan club? (6)
A cryptic definition of a worldwide charitable society of business and professional people

Rotary

22d         Company provided cap (4)
Co(mpany) followed by a two-letter word meaning provided or in the event of

23d         Count‘s in advance, being cut short (4)
An adverb meaning in advance without its final Y (cut short)

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

PLEASE DON’T PUT WHOLE OR PARTIAL ANSWERS OR ALTERNATIVE CLUES IN YOUR COMMENT, ELSE THEY MAY BE CENSORED!

The Quick crossword pun: (yew} + {knee} + {Klee} = {uniquely}

1. weekendwanda
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Enjoyed very much. Thanks setter and BD whose hints I looked at retrospectively. Many of these clues were “my sort”. Favourite 8a Only got stuck in SW. Thought 19a clever once I got it. Thought I had 25a right but then wondered what 22d could possibly be. Solved once I considered more carefully the word “provided” and confirmed by answer by using the BRB. Nice day here in Nottingham so must get on!

2. gari
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Posted from my BlackBerry

• Gari
      Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

oops meant to send post on the update page.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hard work but very enjoyable. Just one thing, given the Saturday constraints, could someone explain the Counsellor in 18a. The rest makes sense but don’t see that word.
    Thx to all concerned.

• Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

18a One causing anguish to Queen needs counsellor

The TO from the clue followed by the Latin abbreviation for Queen and a counsellor.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

18a You have probably spelled the solution wrongly (as I did at first) – here the queen is not our current queen If you put the correct second to last letter, the finally five letters are then a synonym for counsellor.

If that’s giving too much away, I don’t mind because I bought a very scrummy looking bramley apple crumble cake from Sainsbury’s this morning as there is nothing in the cake tin and I don’t have time to bake today.

Hope you remembered what ‘double unches’ are!

• Attila Thehun
        Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Surely you mean the last six letters?

Enjoy the cake.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I never claimed to be any good at numbers – I leave that to Mr CS.

• Hrothgar
        Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I too put in the wrong second to last letter in 18a and then spent far too long on it until I realiized my error.

• Brian
        Posted June 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Certainly have, usually only need telling once but not always :-)
        Thx for that, you are of course quite right!

4. Only fools
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Most enjoyable and testing Saturday puzzle I can remember .
    Favourite 8a but liked lots .Only let-down for me 5d.(must be my northern accent ,where it is now cool and raining after yesterday’s “summer”)
    Thanks very much .

Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

We have summer today – its wonderful.

• Only fools
        Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Thanks !

Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I spoke too soon – can whoever’s got it now, please send it back.

• SheilaP
            Posted June 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it’s arrived in N. Yorks. Been quite dull this morning but sun now appearing & Mr. SheilaP. Is mowing what we optimistically call the lawn….we have 2 dogs & lots of brown patches.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

It’s in Oxford and we’re doing our best to keep it.
            Doing some weeding in very big border at the top of our garden – there is a hen pheasant sitting about six feet from me with what must be about a dozen tiny babies around her – neither she nor they seem the slightest bit bothered by me.

• Arthur Dent
            Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Sue,

Summer was yesterday.
            Don’t be greedy…

Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Thank you setter – not too hard and thank you BD for your hints. Took me a while to get the wordplay in 11a

Posted June 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I clicked reply to say I still don’t get it when it suddenly came to me in a flash

Posted June 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to the setter for an enjoyable weekend puzzle and also to BD for his excellent hints. My rating today is **/***.

I messed up 5d (my first answer in) by putting the wrong first two letters, which sort of made sense (but not as much sense as the correct answer!). I was forced to correct it when I couldn’t then get 4a, my last one in, as I had one wrong checking letter.

I needed BD’s explanation to Brian above to understand the wordplay for 18a.

My favourite today was 8a.

• Shawn as in 'prawn'
      Posted June 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Think everyone’s favourite will be 8a. Takes us back a few years!! Thanks BD for 19d helper. I was totally off and hence could not get 25a.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable AND it’s sunny AND both ‘pet lambs’ plus elder’s partner coming for weekend so all is pretty good in Oxford. :smile:
    I did have to go away and let the brain do things on its own for a while before I could sort out my last four – all in top left corner and all dependent on getting something else.
    I didn’t know that a 22d was a cap – have only ever heard of a hair-do – and didn’t know what 25a was. Also didn’t know that 13a was brandy – I have heard of it but, if I’d ever given it any thought, would have assumed that it was cider. I spent too long trying (and failing) to justify the wrong answer for 21a having, as usual, missed it, and also missed 20d for ages, and for the same reason as 21a.
    I thought, for a while, that it was going to be a pangram – well it is, nearly!
    I liked 1, 9 and 22a and 3 and 14d. My favourite was 8a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

8. Caravaggio
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

My apologies for being late on parade – so to speak – but I’ve been cutting a hawthorn hedge since early this morning and I’m pleased to say that I’ve managed to complete the puzzle while having my lunch. Thank you for the video, Dave, which I’d guess was from 1964 – it was a good year for me for a number of reasons.

9. SheilaP
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thank you for very nice puzzle & for the hints.

10. riochad
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Hello all. Thought today’s was very much my sort of puzzle, with the exception of 9a and 6d, which I’m still stuck on. Any clues anyone? By the way, 4a I only got after fiddling round with a real Welsh town which sounds very much like the final answer.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

6d Plate dog perhaps turned upside down (6)

What a dog is an example of (perhaps) reversed.

• Heno
      Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

9a is A from the clue C for Conservative followed by a word that means charmingly old fashioned.
      6d a dog is an example of a type of ——-, then this word is reversed to give a word that means plate.
      Hope I don’t end up in naughty Corner for this :-)

Posted June 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big dave for the hints. Enjoyed this one immensely, NW & SE followed by SW & NE a sort of diagonal solve. New words for me in 22d & 4a which was last in, both getable from the wordplay. Made me smile, had some nice clues. 20d was a penny-drop moment. Favourites were 25a and 14&17d. 15a was an old chestnut, but was glad of it to so many checkers. Weather gone a bit cool and dull in Central London.

12. Dawn
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Late joining the party and finally finished after a couple of sittings.

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints and to all bloggers.

18a cropped up recently and I sat here thinking ‘it can’t be’ and it was!

13. Outnumbered
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Definitely harder than a normal Saturday, both clues and grid, I think I was in **** time by the end.

14. Hrothgar
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Far harder, I thought, than a normal Saturday.
    Too many brilliant clues to detail.
    Many thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

15. john Middleton
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

enjoyed the musical clip

16. Amanda
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Have been in Milton Keynes all day at a dragon boat regatta with my younger son (14) so didn’t start this until after 8pm. Found it straightforward but extremely enjoyable – **/**** for me.
    Didn’t need the hints but did use some electronic help.
    Had heard 4a before but it’s not a word I have ever used myself! I, too, would have expected the ‘brandy’ to be a type of cider. Never heard of the band, but 1964 is the year of my birth.
    Thanks to setter and BD as ever.

17. Alex
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the hints, but when has the green fairy had a n in it?

• Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

It was a typo – now corrected

18. una
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

I thought it was going to be impossible at the beginning, but then got into the rhythm.I liked most of the clues, including 8a after initial mystification. 14d too . Thanks for the hints on 2d and 25a. Thanks to setter as well.

19. Rainy Roo
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Is the use of electronic assistance as well as a bottle of white wine cheating?

Thanks BD for explanation of 23d.

• Posted June 2, 2013 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Rainy

• Only fools
      Posted June 2, 2013 at 12:36 am | Permalink

The electronic assistance is probably unnecessary !

20. Kingsley
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Finished it without the hints, which I used to get explanations of 4d and 19d (AND I am a member of that “fan club”!), but I do have one question: What sort of word is “smew” (3d)? Methinks the compiler was battling to get a clue that would fit his solution?

• Posted June 2, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Chambers

smew
      noun
      A sea duck, a small species of merganser

Perhaps more relevant than you realised!

21. Collywobbles
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Great crossword. Thoroughly enjoyable. Sorry I’m late on parade. Problems with computer. Thanks for the hints BD