Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs where it’s cold, grey and drizzly.  Roll on Spring!

A straightforward puzzle today, and it’s a pangram.

In the hints below definitions are underlined.

5a           US soldiers meeting pensioner to get dope (3,4)
{ JOE SOAP } The plural of the generic name for US soldiers – GI __, like Tommy Atkins for British soldiers – is followed by the abbreviation for someone receiving a state pension.  According to the BRB, the answer is RAF rhyming slang.

7a           In the morning, around ten after ten, in truth (5)
{ AXIOM } Put the abbreviation for morning around the Roman and Arabic forms of ‘ten’.

9a           An evergreen’s required? Try elm, incorrectly (6)
{ MYRTLE } Anagram (incorrectly) of TRY ELM.

10a         Canned beer and cigs for cold, unemotional types (8)
{ ICEBERGS } Anagram (canned) of BEER and CIGS.

11a         Stop one about a line in magazine (10)
{ PERIODICAL } A charade of the formal term for a full stop, the Roman numeral for one, the Latin abbreviation for about, A (from the clue) and Line.

13a         Roguish (paper version Shrewd) tramp, not married (4)
{ ARCH } Remove the initial M(arried) from a verb meaning to tramp. This is the online version of the clue. The paper has ‘shrewd’ instead of ‘roguish’. Both are in the BRB as definitions of the answer.

14a         Barrister from New York borough getting Eastern consul off (6,7)
{ QUEEN’S COUNSEL } One of the New York boroughs followed by an anagram (off) of Eastern and CONSUL. I notice that the apostrophe is not shown in the enumeration.  Has that brief experiment come to an end?

16a         Device used for raising a flag (4)
{ JACK } Double definition.

17a         Powerful men meet leaving station (5,5)
{ KINGS CROSS } The top men in monarchies followed by another word for meet.

19a         Rings about ending in ‘Esther’ and a trio performing in ‘Deborah’, say (8)
{ ORATORIO } Take the last letter of EstheR and an anagram (performing) of A TRIO, then put an O at each end (rings about) to produce the musical work of which Deborah by Handel is an example.

20a         Chatter with minister, leader in temple (6)
{ RABBIT } A Jewish minister of religion followed by the first letter of Temple.

22a         Weapon that gives clean wound (5)
{ LANCE } Double definition, the second being what a doctor might do to a boil, for example. Or, as Gazza points out, an anagram (wound, as in past tense of wind) of CLEAN.

23a         Male not in to send out shipment (7)
{ TRANSIT } Take the M out of a verb meaning to send out, as of a radio signal.

1d           Relish visiting Devizes today (4)
{ ZEST } Hidden (visiting) in the clue.

2d           Greek god mysteriously poisoned (8)
{ POSEIDON } Anagram (mysteriously) of POISONED.

3d           Ring about last letters from brave English nurse (6)
{ CAVELL } A verb meaning to ring wrapped around the last two letters of brave to give the surname of Edith, who was executed by the Germans in 1915.

4d           Arsonist springing out of tree, one wearing rubber (4-6)
{ FIRE-RAISER } An evergreen tree followed by the Roman numeral for one inside (wearing) the device used for rubbing out pencil marks.

5d           Novelist’s delight over church (5)
{ JOYCE } An Irish novelist is made up of a word for delight followed by (over, in a Down clue) the abbreviation for the Church of England.

6d           Albert, for example, arranged prison concert (6,7)
{ PRINCE CONSORT } An anagram (arranged) of PRISON CONCERT gives us Queen Victoria’s husband.

8d           Charming wise men, mostly quiet (7)
{ MAGICAL } The wise men from the Christmas story followed by a noun or adjective meaning ‘quiet’ with its last letter removed (mostly).

12d         Takes off, engaged in topping sport (3-7)
{ ICE-SKATING } An anagram (off) of TAKES inside (engaged in) the sort of topping crypticsue might put on one of her cakes.

14d         Question ruler abroad about a row (7)
{ QUARREL } An abbreviation for Question followed by an anagram (abroad) of RULER wrapped around A (from the clue).

15d         Ahead, master swimming against the current (8)
{ UPSTREAM } The term one might use if ahead in a game, followed by an anagram (swimming) of MASTER.

17d         Essential part of service in lower part of ship (6)
{ KERNEL } The abbreviation for one of the armed Services inside the part of a ship which extends along its bottom and supports the frame.

18d         Bird  flying (5)
{ SWIFT } Double definition.

21d         Try hard to support graduates (4)
{ BASH } Holders of a first degree in an Arts subject followed by Hard to give an informal term for a try.

The Quick Crossword pun { TRACK }{ SHUN } = { TRACTION }

Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

*/*** for me today. I found this pangram easy but enjoyable, finishing in ***** minutes without stopping – which is a record for me by a long way.

Thanks very much to the setter and to Deep Threat for the review.

2. skempie
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Was running very late yesterday, sorry I missed you all.

Interesting puzzle today, by the time I’d finished I had a feeling it had a very American feel, but looking back I can see it didn’t really, may have just been that the last few in had an Americanish feel.

Some very clever clue today and nice surface readings. I thought the word ‘leaving’ a tad superfluous in 17A, but a nice clue all the same also a very nice mis-direction in 20A.

Miserable day here in Brizzle, cold and grey. Roll on summer (looking forward to both days)

3. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

A lot easier than yesterday’s. 13a reads ‘roguish’ rather than ‘shrewd’ on the iPad. Thanks to DT and setter.

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Thanks for alerting me to the difference between the paper and the online versions. I’ve amended the hint.

4. mary
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Morning DT thanks for the blog/hints, didn’t need them today though, this one seemed much more Rufusish than yesterdays, really enjoyed, I realised it was a pangram early on, this is a puzzle that just goes to show just because it’s a bit easier ( IMHO) it doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable, lots of nice clues with mostly good readings, fav for me 17a, gray skies today but calm and dry in West Wales, now that I’ve finished early I suppose I’d better get on with some housework!!!

5. Miffypops
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle if a little too easy. If I had spelled 14ac correctly 4d would have fallen into place more quickly. I also managed to get half of the toughie done without too much trouble before Mrs C-S found work to be done. Heigh Ho.

6. Senf
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

As for Rabbit Dave, finished in what must be my fastest ever time not even close to lights out last night. No stand out favourite clues, but still very enjoyable – thanks to the setter. I might have to look at the Toughie today (is there one?) to fill in my time at the office.

• pommers
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

The Beam Toughie is well worth a go. I’d say it’s at the milder end of his difficulty range, unless it’s just me getting on his wavelength from blogging a few of his Thursday back-pagers .

• Senf
        Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Thanks Pommers – I’ll take a look at it.

7. pommers
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

A Beam Toughie and Paul in the Grauniad – my cup runneth over this morning! :grin:

Seriously though, both are accessible puzzles and well worth a look, if you like a laugh or two along with your crosswords.

I’ll have a go at this one over lunch as usual, and finish off yesterday’s Rufus. See y’all later.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

At first thought this was going to be difficult, but once under way seemed to progress quickly. Very enjoyable, thank you setter and thanks to DT for your review

9. gazza
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Although Deep Threat’s explanation for 22a as a double definition works fine, I did wonder whether the second bit was meant to be an anagram.

• mary
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Oh yes very clever to spot that gazza, I just took it as a double definition

• MikeT
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I saw it as an anagram, but then noticed the double definition – which I took to mean that the setter was being especially kind to us today.

• Captain Lethargy
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I took it as an anagram as well

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Gazza. I think that’s a better explanation – though it does add to the overload of anagrams in today’s puzzle.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Me too

• Heno
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I read it as an anagram with wound being the indicator.

• pommers
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

And me

Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

And me.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Me too

• Collywobbles
          Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

and me

• Beaver
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Might as well start with 22a, i had the first letter l and simply thought that it was an anagram of clean and the ‘wound ‘ being to ‘damage’ or Mix up ‘ the letters, Anyway about a **/***. lots of amusing clues and a light hearted sort of puzzle-never spot pangrams-failed again.

• Roland
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Errm…………and me.

10. Chris
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Very straightforward today, and no hints needed. Thanks, DT, for your review. The pics are a pleasure, as always. Working my ways…slowly… through the Toughie. Bottom left quadrant to go.

11. soldier
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Held up slightly by having able (amble less the m) for 13a. Apart from that a quick finish – most unusual for me.

12. patsyann
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Lovely crossword. The satisfaction of finishing without help combined with great enjoyment. Have all the compilers got a secret pledge to include the answer to 21d as often as they can? It seems to have appeared – under different clues – quite frequently over recent weeks!

13. graham
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Got held up by 5A but eventualy the penny dropped and managed to finish without help.A nice enjoyable puzzle.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

That was my last one in. I had to google to learn why

14. warren
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

A doctor who took a ‘lance ‘ to a patient would find himself before the GMC. 22a. I suppose the verb ‘lance’ would do.

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Chambers gives ‘lance’ as a verb meaning, inter alia ‘to open or incise with a lancet in order to allow drainage’. Would that really be a problem for the GMC?

Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. Managed 7 answers rather quickly in the NW corner, then ground to a halt. Somehow managed to finish when a few pennies dropped. Started with 2d, finished with 18d favourites were 4&17d. Was 2*/3* for me, a very enjoyable puzzle. The Sun is AWOL again in Central London, very damp & cold. Off to do the Toughie, or at least make an attempt :-)

16. jezza
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

A brief pause at 17d, while I remembered the ‘service’; otherwise a pleasant romp through this one.
    Thanks to setter (Shamus?), and Deep Threat for the notes.

17. Poppy
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Seem a bit out of step with everyone today – possibly because a session in the dentist’s chair intervened, bah! So I found parts quite straightforward, and parts I took ages to ‘get’. Didn’t help myself by working overtime to fit a Native American Indian into 3d (last in, d’oh), although I fleetingly considered Florence! Liked 7 and 10a, and 18d. So 2*/4* for me. Thanks to setter and DT (ESP. Loved the pic for 18d). :-)

• pommers
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Know what you mean about the dentist interfering with the crossword. I’ve spent enough time (and money) there recently to last me a fair while!

Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – poor you – hope it was OK. Hate going to dentist even if it is just a check up – makes me go all cold and shivery! :sad:

• Poppy
        Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

That’s actually very encouraging, as I thought it was just me being feeble. Years of army dentists when I was younger (of the sort, put one foot on your chest in order to get proper leverage to yank) left me with a strong disinclination to visit. No one warned me that ageing isn’t for wimps & my graceful mama made it look SO easy. I would have preferred a run at it, I think!!

• williamus
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hope you’ll be able to get your teeth into tomorrow’s offering then…. (groan)

• pommers
        Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Your avatar seems to have a fair set of gnashers! :grin:

• williamus
          Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

And they’re still all mine… well mostly. When I take the time to find out how, I’ll to change my avatar to something more friendly!

• Poppy
            Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Am I allowed some tooth envy? :-)

• pommers
              Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Don’t be envious of my teeth! They seem to have decided to start falling apart recently!

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Remember, “patriotism is not enough”. 3d always comes to mind first when I think of brave English nurse

18. pommers
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

A pleasant enough puzzle but too heavy on anagrams for my taste. Agree with DT’s star ratings.
    Favourite was 4d for the rather bizzare mental image it conjoured up :grin:

Thanks to setter and Deep Threat.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I thought this was straightforward – much more so than yesterday’s which is just as well as we have eight here for supper tonight. Probably 1* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    Spent far too long hunting for kernel being the lower part of a ship – stupid or what? With 11a I was trying to think of the name of a magazine. I completely missed the pangram even though I should have been alerted to the possibility as my first answer was 1d.
    Lots of really good clues – 5, 7, 10, 16 and 20a and 2, 3 and 6d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Deep Threat.
    Cold grey and drizzly in Oxford too. :sad: Clocks go forward four weeks this weekend. :grin:
    Off to do more cooking now.

• jezza
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget the toughie today Kath – it’s your favourite setter, and it’s a good one today!

• Brian
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

You have beaten me all hands down today Kath. Thought this was a three star difficult, most clues made very little sense to me.

20. williamus
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and DT for todays puzzle and hints. 5a was a new phrase for me (I know I’ve had a very sheltered life). Have a good day, all.

21. Colmce
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I like anagrams so I enjoyed today’s puzzle.
    Thanks for the review and to the setter.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Found this one very difficult. For me at least a three star. 19a was a total mystery, never heard of this bit of music before.

• Brian
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

BTW what has Kernel got to do with essential (17d)? The kernel is the central part or nucleus. My copy of Chambers mentions nothing about essential.

• Poppy
        Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I came at it the other way round, Brian. My dictionary definition of essential was “absolutely necessary central part’. But then I found today’s puzzle harder than most, and spent ages trying to make the keel of a ship fit with almost everything except one of our Forces – so what do I know!

• pommers
          Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Think you hit the nail on the head re 17d Poppy!

I’ve seen both the letters RAF and RN clued as a service but the army (apart from the Terriers) seem to get left out.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

What about the RA and the REME – they turn up a lot.

• pommers
              Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

They do indeed, along with GI, OR, MEN and today we had JOE but all these are usually clued as soldiers rather than service.

23. Digby
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Concur with the general views expressed above.
    The Quickie is a pangram too.

24. Catherine
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today. Found the top half easier going than the bottom half but managed it without hints. Did need the explanation for 12d though!
    I enjoyed the fact that we had Kings, Queens and a Jack in the puzzle – not to mention a Prince!
    I wanted to put undertow for 15d for no other reason than I was missing the “w” to complete the pangram! Reason did prevail however and the “w” gave me 18d.
    Thanks to DT and thanks to the setter.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Very clever to notice the cards, completely missed that. Nice touch!

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

This was quite easy for me but was hung up on 5a for some time, no excuse as I should have got the author in 5d in a shot. So easy in hindsight. I also couldn’t understand why 23a as I think of that word as passing through or on the way, not shipment. I had to look it up to find out my answer was right. Good stuff, that, very enjoyable. Thanks to setter and DT.

26. Collywobbles
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle which, as Mary says above, they don’t have to be hard to be enjoyed. Thanks for the hints DT which I needed to clarify some of my answers and thanks to Mysterion for a good crossword. Mrs. Collywobs is back from Blighty tomorrow so I’m back to a diet of sausages, with or without horsemeat

27. Horatio
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I haven’t commented in an age, but read the blog daily and owe a thousand thanks for help. Today’s solve was in record time for me so pride compelled me to comment! 1*/4* and many thanks to setter and to DT.

28. Annidrum
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed that today not only because I found it very doable but because it was very clever and for a change I spotted the pangram! Thanks to Setter &DT .

29. Only fools
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Very Enjoyable.Did get in a muddle at first with 17d >feel less thick having seen the comment .
    Faves 18d and 25d
    Thanks very much

• Only fools
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Sorry this relates to toughie !

30. Little Dave
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyable pangram.

31. Big Boab
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Not a crossword I enjoyed I’m afraid, too many anagrams or part anagrams, thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for the review.

• andy
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Agreed….

Posted February 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

We did not have to struggle very long with this one. Lots of clever clues and did spot the pangram very early in our solve. Have been pondering about who the setter might be, and have come to the conclusion that it sounds like “Blind Elk” If that doesn’t make sense try “no-eyed deer” (2,4).
    Thanks Mr Ron and DT.

33. Alex
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    Comment about 20a – Rabbis operated in Synagogues and Priests in Temples!.
    Love your blog it has helped me no end!
    Alex

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Alex

• una
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

synagogues are called temples in America

• pommers
      Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Synagogues, priests etc are irrelevant. The Rabbi is a Minister, of the Jewish religion/race, and the T is simply the first letter of Temple, the word Team would have been OK for the wordplay, but not the surface.

• una
        Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

but for Alex, the surface reading of temple seemed wrong, until one takes into account the american usage.

• pommers
          Posted February 27, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Una, let’s be clear about this – there is no American connection whatsoever in this clue. It’s one of the most simple clues in a very simple puzzle. I notice Alex used the past tense – don’t Rabbis operate any more and I’m not sure priests ever performed operations in temples!

Chatter with minister, leader in temple.
          Def is chatter. Minister is a Rabbi (could be a P or priest or a rev or a lot of other things but this time it’s a rabbi) and add a T (leader in Temple).

Where’s the American connection?

• una
            Posted February 27, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

You are very argumentative, Pommers.Of course any T would do for you, you are looking exclusively at the word play. What I was trying to say was that Alex seemed to be having a difficulty with the surface reading because Alex uses the word temple as referring to the long destroyed building in Jerusalem.I thought I was being helpful by pointing out that the word temple is in use in America as a synonym for synagogues, thus showing that the surface reading is in fact perfect.The rabbi is also the”leader” in “temples”.

• pommers
              Posted February 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Of course I’m argumentative – love it!
              However, what you say has some merit and I wonder if the setter had it in mind as a sort of overlay over the whole clue. Somehow I doubt it but it’s the sort of thing that makes a cryptic crossword so fascinating!

• una
                Posted February 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I feel sure he/she did.You are welcome to argue with me anytime !

34. una
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

It took a while to get on the setter’s wavelength, not because of dental visits, something far worse, pay cuts!So I have been seething for the last 24 hours.Anyway when I finally focused, it all went in very quickly and was very enjoyable.Although I have to admit I never heard of Nurse Cavell.Thanks to the setter and Deep Threat.

35. Sarah F
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle (didn’t start it until afternoon). Thanks to setter and reviewer.

36. Little Dave