Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Once again we have a pretty straightforward Friday puzzle from Giovanni with nothing too tricky. Let us know how you got on.

If you’re one of the many readers of the blog who have never left a comment then today would be a good time to introduce yourself. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been enjoying cryptic crosswords for years or are just discovering them, I’m sure that your experience would be improved by joining in the discussion and the banter, so why not take your courage in both hands and let us know who you are?

Across Clues

8a  Examines notices either side of bridge (8)
{SEARCHES} – a verb meaning notices or spots contains a bridging structure.

9a  China perhaps and gold that is linked to part of Scripture (6)
{ORIENT} – a charade of a) the heraldic tincture of gold, b) the abbreviation meaning ‘that is’ and c) the abbreviation for the second part of the Bible.

10a  Bird nesting in window ledge (3)
{OWL} – hidden (nesting) in the clue.

11a  Nibbled, we hear, and said to be sort of cross (8)
{PECTORAL} – what sounds like a verb meaning nibbled or ate sparingly is followed by an adjective meaning said or spoken rather than written. This gives us a sort of large cross, worn in the middle of their chests by senior members of the clergy.

12a  At home, then not at home to some extent (2,1,3)
{IN A WAY} – an adverb meaning at home (2) followed by another adverb meaning not at home (4).

13a  Sort of good time  that rooftop prisoners have in the dark? (5,2,3,5)
{NIGHT ON THE TILES} – double definition, the second a cryptic way of describing what rioting prisoners engaged in a rooftop protest may have if they can’t be brought down before it gets dark.

15a  An Italian poet’s movement not showing any sign of hurry (7)
{ANDANTE} – a charade of AN (from the clue) and the most famous Italian poet.

18a  Man’s man? (7)
{DOUGLAS} – cryptic definition of the largest town on an island in the Irish Sea which could also be a man’s name.

21a  Italian debt is so bad — so will Eurozone suffer this? (15)
{DESTABILISATION} – an anagram (bad) of ITALIAN DEBT IS SO gives us what’s happening in the Eurozone as a result of debts in various countries including Italy.

24a  Fate of idiot with hope half gone (6)
{CLOTHO} – one of the three Fates of Greek mythology comes from an informal term for an idiot followed by just half of the word hope.

25a  No longer performing on stage? That’s tough (8)
{EXACTING} – a prefix indicating a previous state is followed by a present participle meaning performing on stage.

26a  It’s no good harbouring a worry constantly (3)
{NAG} – the abbreviation for ‘no good’ contains (harbouring) A.

27a  Ornament showing mammal rolling over captured by worker (6)
{ANKLET} – a large deer is reversed (rolling over) inside (captured by) the usual working insect.

28a  Complete description of shapes lacking any angularity? (3-5)
{ALL-ROUND} – how you might describe (3,5) a number of shapes with no angles at all.

Down Clues

1d  This person occupying the old-fashioned province as an Arab (6)
{YEMENI} – the objective pronoun which a person uses to refer to himself or herself goes between (occupying) an old-fashioned word for ‘the’ and the abbreviation for a province in the United Kingdom.

2d  Support reduced when Right gets in with children going under (6)
{CRUTCH} – a word meaning reduced or shortened has R(ight) inserted then that’s followed by the 2-letter abbreviation for children.

3d  Novelist making rotten bachelor reform — about time! (9,6)
{CHARLOTTE BRONTE} – an anagram (reform) of ROTTEN BACHELOR with T(ime) inserted gives us a 19th-century female novelist.

4d  Cut off — one thus gets behind schedule (7)
{ISOLATE} – string together the Roman numeral for one, a synonym of thus and an adjective meaning behind schedule.

5d  This officer in short could appear to be politically correct (6,9)
{POLICE CONSTABLE} – … based on the short form of his or her rank.

6d  Very good sailor? Not if he’s doing this! (8)
{PIRATING} – an abbreviation meaning very good or holier-than-thou is followed by a non-commissioned sailor in the navy.

7d  Secret man, I care to be devious (2,6)
{IN CAMERA} – an anagram (to be devious) of MAN I CARE.

14d  Tribe of Israel  to wander about (3)
{GAD} – double definition – one of the twelve tribes of Israel and to wander about in pursuit of amusement.

16d  Winding up Miss Heather (8)
{NEEDLING} – whether it is capitalised or not the presence of heather in a clue should make you think of either ling or erica. One of these is preceded here by a verb to lack or miss (also falsely capitalised in the clue).

17d  Showing sagacity, like archbishop briefly coming to cathedral (8)
{ASTUTELY} – a charade of a) a synonym for like or similar to, b) the surname of a South African archbishop (now retired and shown here wearing his 11a cross) without his last letter (briefly) and c) a cathedral in Cambridgeshire which is very popular in Crosswordland.

19d  Floral arrangement that is left up (3)
{LEI} – this floral arrangement is specially associated with Hawaii. String together the abbreviation for that is and L(eft) then reverse it all (up, in a down clue).

20d  Criminal — for instance, gangster, bad at the outset (7)
{ILLEGAL} – the abbreviation of for instance is followed by the shortened forename of the archetypal American gangster, then all that is preceded (at the outset) by a synonym for bad or poorly.

22d  Military entertainment  that gets under the skin (6)
{TATTOO} – double definition, the second an indelible marking that punctures the skin.

23d  Having to confess in front of gathering (6)
{OWNING} – a verb to confess or admit is followed by IN (from the clue) and the front letter of G(athering).

The clues that I liked best were 11a, 21a and 23d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {DAY} + {SEE} + {WEAL} = {DAISY-WHEEL}

1. skempie
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable fare from the Don again. I had quite a few that held me up for a while (18A, 27A, 6D, 17D) but once they clicked they seemed very obvious. I thought I was on for a record Friday time as I managed to get the four long clues reasonably quickly, but of course the Don had other ideas.

My favourite today has to be 6D – took a while to get, but a very clever clue I thought.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Usual xcellent offering from The Don. Just one thing, why PI for holier than thou for 6d? PI to to me is 3.142.
    Best clue for me was 25a, I know it’s obvious but it made me smile :-).
    Many Thx to The Don for a super Friday puzzle and to Gazza for confirming a couple of my answers.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Pi is short for pious.

• Brian
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Interesting. Is that a known abbreviation or a crosswordland shortening?

Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

It’s a well-known abbreviation (it’s in the BRB). It means very holy in a smarmy, sanctimonious way.

• gnomethang
          Posted February 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

It turns up all the time , Brian.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Enjoyably straightforward – thank you Giovanni and Gazza too (same favourites again). Just waiting for Brian to turn up and say what he thinks about 24a!

If you are contemplating the Elgar Toughie, I would warn you that it will take you quite a bit of time (well it did me – much much longer than yesterday’s Toughie) but is worth every minute spent in unravelling the deviousness.

• Brian
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Was no problem for me at all. If you are a member of the Royal Arch you get to know the 12 tribes very early on.

• Heno
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Sue, I looked at the Toughie earlier and couldn’t solve a single clue !

Posted February 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

And I know when I’m beaten – haven’t even dared to look!

4. Poppy
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this, but got stuck in NW quarter by putting in a Somalian person! So slower than I expected. And learned another new name for one of the fates. Dare I try the Toughie after my shambles of yesterday…? Many thanks to setter and to Gazza for some beautifully clear hints.

• Poppy
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Since seeing CS’s comment about the Toughie I think I’ll retire gracefully so as not to get completely overwhelmed by my snail-like advance & start afresh another day.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I think that’s probably a sensible decision! I know that people say you get better with practice – I also know that I will never be able to do an Elgar Toughie.

• Jezza
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I have just finished the toughie, but I needed all of my 5 letter hints to get there!!

5. Ian
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Don’t you just love Fridays? Had to check blog to see why 18a was what it was. Very clever. Also typical obscure knowledge (for me) Giovanni clue at 24a. Excellent. Thanks to all.

6. Colmce
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Got the four biggies in record time and then bogged down, but G’s clues always yield to a bit of concentration.

Couple of new words/usages for me but with a bit of googling they came out.

3* difficulty for me.

Thanks to Gazza for the review.

Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle.

7. vigo
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Also enjoyed this but also found pi confusing – I spent a while wondering why a sailor may be airating! Otherwise fairly straightforward.

Thanks to the setter and Gazza for the clear hints.

• andy
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Definetely worth remembering the PI – comes up relatively frequently. Hope you enjoyed the London do.

8. Tim C
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Hmmmmm. I have been away for a while. I come back to this puzzle and only manage 5 clues without the help of this blog.
    How can Gazza say “we have a pretty straightforward Friday puzzle from Giovanni with nothing too tricky”
    Perhaps I am simply more thick brained than usual.
    Despite me disagreeing with your description about this puzzle Gazza, thank you for all the help you have given so that I was able to wade through and understand most of the clues

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

You’re probably just out of practice.

• Tim C
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

You are being too kind Kath :-)

Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

No – not really! On the very rare occasions that I don’t do a crossword for a few days I always notice how quickly I get out of practice. :smile:

9. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Frustrated by 18a which should not have been the problem it proved to be, but otherwise things went fairly smoothly. Not helped by my inability to spell the middle-eastern gent in 1d. Thanks to Gazza for explaining that one and to the other G for the puzzle, especially the brilliant 21a.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

This was a bit more than 2* difficulty for me because I got well and truly held up by the last few – 8a (no excuse for that apart from my brain, or lack of) 11a and 2 and 6d. I got the four long answers quickly which helped.
    There were a couple of words that I didn’t know – the 11a cross and the 24a fate. I know that I’ve said it before but the Friday and Sunday crosswords are the ones where I’m most likely to ‘meet’ words that are new to me.
    I liked all four of the long ones and 26a and 23d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.

Yesterday ‘stilt’ was one of the answers and today we have ‘crutch’. About twenty years ago my Mum had her first hip replacement. I rang my Dad to see how she was and he told me that she was absolutely fine and would be allowed out of bed with stilts the following day! The mental picture gave me the giggles for days!

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

2*/3* for me too. Many thanks to Giovanni, and to Gazza.

As for the toughie… about 3/4 done, and getting close to throwing in the towel!

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

**/*** for me I managed to race through about three quarters of it, and then had to work hard to finish it off. 11a was last in as I had never heard of that word used to mean a cross.

Many thanks to the setter for an enjoyable Friday puzzle with some nice clues to make you smile, and thanks to Gazza for the review.

13. Captain Lethargy
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Hi there all.
    I liked this one, a bit of thought and an enjoyable time. Once the long ones went in it was quite straightforward, though memory plays up in names like 14d and 24a!
    I always mark crossword in the stars, but don’t always comment as most of what I would say has already been said and more eloquently. Thanks to all of you.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Not sure whether I found this difficult or not ! Paper didn’t come till 1030 and then an old friend dropped in for coffee ! So done in bits and pieces and got to the end without help – so thank you DG and Gazza for your review and photos. Have seen a pectoral sandpiper at Cley ! but not seen the word used in this context.

Off to Bamburgh tomorrow for a week of winter birdwatching – I have noted your comments Kath, and will try and keep in practice, but might not have time to finish the puzzles ! depends on the weather !

• Poppy
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Oh that’s made me pine for the sound of curlews & the purring of rafts of eider… Bamburgh should be wondrous, SW. Do hope you have a great time. And I don’t suppose there’s much chance of seeing any grey seal pups (I know the commons are summer time)? I fell full length on a muddy outcrop in my delight at seeing several young ones some years ago when I was working in Caithness – and had to really struggle to control my giggles at my dishevelled state with only the pups to see!

• Sweet William
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you Poppy. Seals maybe with a scope from Holy Island – usually lounging on a sandbank off Ross Sands !!

15. mr ripley
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Hi only been doing cryptics for a couple of months and wish I had started years ago

Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Hi mr ripley – welcome to the blog. You should be pretty talented if your name’s anything to go by. :D

• Poppy
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

:-)

• una
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

let’s hope it isn’t that talent !

• Ripley
        Posted February 9, 2013 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Thank for that and I hope to get better with time, one thing I will say is I love the blog and my husband is usurping my puzzles. Lol

• spindrift
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

You’ll find they become addictive. I’ve gone from printing off the back page only to then include the Toughie, the Grauniad & the FT then on Fridays it’s the Week magazine which is on the equivalent of a Toughie. Mrs S approves a they keep me out of her way.

16. pommers
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a bit tricky in places, especially on the left side. Never come across the fate or that meaning of what I always thought was a muscle or a fish fin!

Good workout though and much enjoyed. Fav has to be 21a :grin:

Thanks to the two G’s

17. Beaver
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Thought it was quite hard today,at least a ***,struggled with the SW corner,was trying to get a word for 15a from un and an anagram of poets! until i got 17d- who sang don’t mess with my tutu? 24a was a clever deception until the penny dropped and the ornament uncommon.Anyway quite enjoyed it finally

18. Mikey-Mike
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Thank you Gazza for help with NW corner;
    otherwise a fun x-word that revealed its
    secrets nicely. Thought I had finished until
    I looked to G for why 24a was “blotto”
    Oh dear!

19. Miffypops
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Nice and tricky but 11ac and 2d are eluding me.. I will not peep though. Not just yet.

• Poppy
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

They were my last two in as well, Miffypops – but I needed the hints!

20. una
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

More than ** for me.Thanks to Gazza and Giovanni.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s. I didn’t agree with gazza’s difficulty rating, as I needed 7 hints to finish. I always struggle with the Don, and today was no exception. Still, it was enjoyable, and a very well constructed puzzle. Was 3*/4* for me. Favourites were 12&27a and 1d. had never heard of 11a in this context, had only heard of it as a muscle. Lovely morning in Central London, managed to go for a run, bit nippy though.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle, all went in quite nicely with a little thought. Haven’t seen 24a in a coon’s age, forgot all about them but could work it out. Thanks to all.

23. Addicted
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Having spent the majority of this week “hibernating” with a stinking head cold, I have had more than usual time to concentrate on the crosswords and, hey presto, I find I have managed to complete them – or 90% at least – without help! This is quite a revelation but I think it proves that they CAN be done by Mr/Mrs. Average – (s)he just needs a bit more time and single-mindedness. Anyway, it has enormously cheered up an otherwise drab and self-pitying week and many thanks to all the setters involved and hinters for their help and explanations.
    Re to-day’s – I didn’t and wouldn’t ever had got 24a – obviously something lacking in my education? and I did have to resort to hints for 18a – was way off track on that one! a clever clue in my opinion.
    Hopefully out of hibernation next week so it will be interesting to see how the solving goes!

Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I can confirm what the article on the front page of the DT said this morning – take zinc and you will hardly ever get a cold! Hope you feel better soon.

• Poppy
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

That’s a helpful tip, CS, that I’ve never heard of before. Vit C & Echinacea etc, yes, but never Zinc. Do you get it in tablet form or from the right sort of diet?

Posted February 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I get tablets (usually one of the supermarkets has a 3 for the price of 2 deal) although I do eat the right sort of food too. I started about five years ago when I had one coldy type thing after another. I have only had one day lurgy related sick leave since then.

• Derek
      Posted February 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

The best way to get rid of heavy colds is to drink Islay single malt whisky – I always use Laphroaig the peatiest one.

• gnomethang
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Its certainly worth a try, Derek!

• Poppy
          Posted February 9, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

And we actually have some Laphroaig, but as I don’t like the taste of whisky (I do however specialise in champagne!!) Mr P doesn’t approve of my taking any for such mundane purposes…

• una
        Posted February 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

definately my favourite scotch.And possible cheaper than going to the doctor, no NHS here.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

We needed a quick peek at Google for 18a but apart from that everything slotted in quite nicely. Took us about *** time. A quality puzzle again from the Don.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

25. Derek
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle from The Don!

Faves : 11a, 13a, 18a, 24a, 3d, 6d, 19d & 22d.

Re 19d : Many years ago, my late wife and ! did a round the world trip flying westwards and when we landed in Fiji a very beautiful Fijian girl welcomed us and slung leis round our necks!

When we finally finished up in Heathrow to get on to our flight to Schiphol the girl said
    ” your flight is tomorrow” but her boss sorted that out and we got home OK that day.
    Didn’t feel a day younger when crossing the date line westwards!

Had no trouble with all the other bookings.

• una
      Posted February 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Figi sounds wonderful, to laze on the beach,encircled by girls or boys in leis , sounds fantastic.

Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Still no sign of Mary. I really do hope that she’s OK – can’t believe that they have gone off in camper van in the kind of temperatures that we have at the moment . . .

27. The Toilets
    Posted February 9, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Yes not too bad 75 to 80% completed before hints required. 5d my favourite (what has that got to do with Political Correctness? Then the penny dropped – DOH)