Hints and tips by Digby

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

From Closet Blogger, to occasional comments, via offering the odd tip to help guide Mary out of the Clueless Club, I suppose that this was the inevitable next step. I think it was Falcon who said that writing his first blog was like riding a bike without the training wheels. Now I know what he meant! Knowing that BD, and the rest of the team, is “out there” to help is a great comfort, however. We have a nicely balanced puzzle today from Giovanni. A good mix of difficulty and clue construction (including a couple of “old chestnuts”) that should please everyone. But what do you think?

5a    Rover may be left here behind shop? (3,4)
{CAR PARK} Where you might leave Rover while doing the shopping – except you need to think of a vehicle now manufactured by the Chinese, not a four-footed friend. I’m not sure about “behind” – they are perhaps more frequently “in front”?

7a    Dye for hair takes girl hour — about! (5)
{HENNA} This type of dye is constructed from H(our) followed by reversing (about) a common girl’s name (as opposed to a common girl’s name)

9a    Country doctor enthralled by goddess (6)
{GAMBIA} Take the name of the lady who, with Uranus’s help, was the mother of all the Gods and wrap her (enthralled) around one of our standard abbreviations for doctor to get this African nation.

10a    I put in what may be minute bit of food (8)
{NOISETTE} A bit of deception here as you need to think of “minute” as a memo, not tiny. Wrap this around (in) I and a synonym for put, to get this small piece of beef or mutton.

11a    Emetic — damn awful cure! (10)
{MEDICAMENT} Today’s first anagram (awful) of the first two words produce a cure that might be prescribed. Is this a semi all in one? I’m still getting to grips with these definitions.

13a    One of pair lost in wash? Blow! (4)
{SOCK} Mrs Digby’s washing machine has left me with a drawer full of odd ones of these. It is also another name for a blow (to the head?)

14a    New Stone Age hut is found in residential group of buildings (7,6)
{HOUSING ESTATE} An anagram (new) of the next 4 words produces an area you tend to find on the outskirts of towns and villages.

16a    Fellows inhaling island air (4)
{MIEN} Put an I(sland) into the standard crossword-speak for fellows to get this word meaning bearing or manner.

17a    Swishing swords, aged female decisive in battles (3,7)
{WAR GODDESS} Swishing is the somewhat unusual anagram indicator here. SWORDS AGED unscrambles to give a generic term for the type of lady you wouldn’t want to meet in battle. I liked the way this clue read.

19a    Forester from Tiger Island? (8)
{WOODSMAN} A charade of the world’s ex-favourite golfer and an island just off our west coast produces this chap, typically seen carrying an axe.

20a    Unhealthy-looking chum with hat (6)
{PALLID} Another word for chum and a term for something worn on the head combine to form an expression meaning pale.

22a    Shrub in middle of canal repeatedly swamped by water (5)
{SENNA} Take the middle letter of canal, repeat it and place them (swamped) into the ‘oggin to form this shrub. (For our sporting members, also a famous F1 driver, and thanks to Pommers for this clip – it isn’t Jonathon Woss doing the commetary is it?)

23a    Go wild in game, getting fellow knocked over, all right? (3,4)
{RUN AMOK} Speaking of sport, start with the 2-letter abbreviation for the 15-a-side game we invented, reverse (knocked over) a singular fellow and finally the expression normally accompanied by a thumbs-up, to give a verb meaning to go wild.

1d    A timid person half hidden on account of horse (4)
{ARAB} This horse is a combination of A (from the clue) and the first half of a word for a timid person. Cricketer Phil Tufnell was definitely such a batsman.

2d    Dancer has a hat perched up on untidy hair (4,4)
{MATA HARI} This infamous dancer is derived from A and an abbreviation of a Scottish hat, all reversed (up) followed by an anagram (untidy) of hair

3d    Article on independent saint who believes in God? (6)
{THEIST} One of our chestnuts – article / I(ndependent) / Saint = Believer

4d    Lower station offers support (10)
{UNDERSTAND} Split this into two equal halves – synonyms for lower and station (as in place) produce a word meaning to comprehend someone’s concerns.

5d    Bird with 18 crossing river (5)
{CRANE} Without giving away 18d, you need a word for something headmasters used to wield (in my day) with R(iver) inserted to find this bird.

6d    Sort of teacher who could be more helpful and good, terrible ranter (13)
{KINDERGARTNER} This teacher of tiny-tots is derived from a word meaning more helpful, as in nicer, G(ood) and an anagram (terrible) of RANTER. Not a word I have seen before, but why not?

8d    Thing left half hidden under lorry (7)
{ARTICLE} Chestnut #2, and seen recently methinks? Take an abbreviation of a kind of lorry, followed by LE(ft) (half hidden) and a thing appears.

12d    Sign on a duo — performing dinosaurs! (10)
{IGUANODONS} Straightforward anagram fodder (performing) translates into dinosaurs (that I had to Google just to make sure!)

14d    That man, one we heard in Paris, is very wicked (7)
{HEINOUS} Slight continental flavour in this one – combine the male pronoun, I (one) and French for we, or us, and you get this wicked adjective.

15d    Son flying over for activity before Christmas maybe (8)
{SHOPPING} S(on) followed by a word for flying, commonly associated with hedge, combine to form an activity dear to Mrs Digby’s heart!

17d    Animal label cut up (6)
{WOMBAT} Take a word for label (inside clothing / on a computer screen) and a synonym of cut (as in the lawn) all reversed and we get this little Australian marsupial.

18d    Stiff person’s scruple (5)
{STICK} Double definition, the second of which had me diving into the dictionary. The person is often associated with “mud”, and the other is a synonym of scruple.

21d    Tree’s gluey stuff seen with the sun coming out (4)
{LIME} A gentle final clue – remove S(un) from a word for something snails produce to leave you with a fruit tree

5 cups of tea later and the deed is done. No real Ah-Hah moments, but no Harumps either. My personal favourite was 17a, but I’d love to hear your views.

The Quick crossword pun: {Khan} + {tickles} = {Canticles}

1. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I’d like to be the first to welcome Digby. We’ll be seeing a bit more of him over the next few weeks.

2. Roland
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Well done Digby – nice debut. Puzzle QED today, no particular faves or raves. Thanks to Giovanni and to Digby.

3. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Digby – Congratulations on being promoted upstairs. This review can’t have been easy, Sterling work that man & thanks to the Setter for the puzzle.

4. mary
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Hello Digby, what a dark horse you are and we haven’t seen much of you lately indeed it is down to the help of you and others like you that I did eventually get out of the ‘clueless club’!! :-) a big welcome to that marvellous band of blogers and really well down on your ‘virgin’ blog, I agree with the three star rating and indeed needed help of my ‘usual friends’ to complete, my fav clue today was 13a, I still don’t really see 5a , ok a car may be left in a car park but why behind shop? now if the answer had been car port, i.e. Rover may be left here , I could understand it but a carpark isn’t often behind a shop, in fact very rarely, see you later Digby, have to go to art, congrats once again, I’m proud of you :-D

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Hi Mary – how is Welsh Wales today? I agree with your comment about 5a. In fact, while it was still dark and my second cuppa was getting cold, I asked the Gaffer if I was missing something, and he assured me that I wasn’t. Unless The Don has some deep, hidden meaning? Perhaps he’ll drop in and tell us?

• pommers
        Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I don’t know if the Don’s from Manchester but where I grew up there are a lot of rows of shops in housing estates built in the 1960’s, They were built with an open area at the back to allow delivery vans to unload without blocking the road. As cars have become far more widespread over the years most of these are now used as car parks – behind the shops!
        Just a thought and I certainly wouldn’t have mentioned it in the blog as it’s probably wrong!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

When I was a sales rep In Hull in the 80s they were bombsites (literally) which nobody bothered to tarmac even! You had to be careful to avoid the potholes as you didn’t want to walk into your first call while fully suited and booted but with a sock full of rain water!

5. gazza
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Congratulations to Digby on a great first blog. If you keep up this standard the rest of us will be floundering in your wake!

6. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Digby. I wish you good fortune in your blogging future

7. Mike
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Many thanks…was going mad with19a, filled in the correct answer but just couldn’t ‘see’ it. Seems so obvious now with your help but didn’t even start to think about Mr Woods. Good puzzle overall. Thanks again to you and the setter.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I’m sure someone will have got there before I finish typing this but, at the moment, I’ll be the second to welcome Digby! I thought that this was quite difficult although it’s probably taken roughly the usual time. I didn’t understand 10a until I read the hints. I didn’t know that “Senna” was a shrub (nor that oggin is naval slang for sea), 6d had me counting letters – whatever I did I seemed to have the wrong number but sorted that out eventually. I’ve never heard of the dinosaur but guessed the first few letters and then got that one and I’ve never come across 18d with either of those meanings. Apart from that lot it was plain sailing!!! Having said all of that I enjoyed this one very much. I liked 9, 11 and 13a. With thanks to Giovanni and Digby.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

See – I KNEW that would happen!! When I started on my comment there was only BD’s there before me! :sad:

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Don’t you just hate it when that happens Kath – with my one-word-per-minute typing skills I have the same problem!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I type very fast but also very inaccurately so spend lots of time deleting – plus I keep changing my mind about what to say (and having second thoughts about what I’d better NOT say!!) :smile:

• Roland
        Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Hi Kath, do you think it might be time to ditch the John Bull printing set and use a keyboard? :)

Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

With regard to senna being a shrub, that’s where the pods come from that make the stuff that makes you ‘go’!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Had never really thought about it but, for some reason, would always have assumed the Senna was a tree – don’t know why. Had to look it up to check!

• Franny
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

That’s happened to me a number of times, Kath. I wondered about oggin, too. Thanks for enlightening me. :-)

9. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Nice steady puzzle today. I needed your explanation to find out how I solved 10a. My faves today, 11a &17a. Thanks to Digby & to Giovanni.

10. pommers
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Hi Digby and thanks for an entertaining first review. Looking forward to seeing many more.

Agree with your ratings and my fav was also 17a. Liked 13a too but I usually say something stronger than “blow” when I find yet another one missing! You can probably guess what my picture for 22a would have been!

Thanks to Giovanni for the fun and, once again, to Digby for a great first effort.

You can go for a lie down in CS’s darkened room now!

BTW, pommette is the latest El Saladonian to come down with the dreaded tummy bug!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Pommers – I did think of it. In fact, if you send me a suitable link I’ll try to add it – just for you and all the other petrol-heads out there!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I always thought that Senna was a very appropriate name for a racing driver given that the herb is used to make you “go” faster. :D

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Oh, very droll !

• pommers
        Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Nice one Gazza! Certainly not what pommette needs at the moment!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Well done Digby on your first review! Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle today; no particular favourites, but I liked 23a.

I thought the Toughie was tricky in places today. I stumbled over the finishing line with a couple of lucky guesses, and am looking forward to seeing the explanations from Tilsit later.

12. Giovanni
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Welcome to my new blogger. I accept that 1A was one of my tamer clues — a nice gimme for newcomers maybe? I was brought up in a Devon town called Cullompton — worth a diversion off the M5 to look at the parish church. Car parking is in the street actually in front of the shops in the main street as well as in dedicated car park! ( I now live in Oxford and parking is not cheap or easy, but then I walk a lot and use the bus!)

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Good day, M’lud. Thanks for putting our inquisitive minds to rest, and there’s nothing wrong with a nice gimme with which to start. Lucky you – Oxford is one of my, and Mrs Digby’s, favourite places – apart from Heavenly Henfield, of course!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I agree – parking in Oxford is awful – either non-existent, residents only, or expensive! Walking, cycling or bussing (?) are the only options.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

….. but it’s a great place to live! :smile:

13. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Well done Digby, blogging a crossword by the Don cannot have been easy. Very enjoyable today, the Don is definitely one of my favourite setters – tricky in parts but eminently solvable. Far too many good clues to choose a favourite but it was nice to see the answers to 27A, 12D and 14D making an appearance, also I think 9A was very well worked (OK, this could be my favourite today).

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

BTW Digby, re: 1D – Henry Blofeld was also one of these as he is at pains to explain in his one man show (well worth going to see or buying the DVD for any cricket fan or anyone who admire the English language).

14. Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I am just about to start today’s puzzle but wanted to pop in and congratulate Digby on breaking the ‘blogging duck. I’m sure I will be suitable entertained when I return to peruse the review.

15. Mike in Amble
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Digby for your splendid blog. Never come across 6d though. ..Last one in was 17d. Thanks for you explanation as to why.

16. pommers
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

GOAT = Greatest Of All Time.

I think the phrase may have first been used in motor sport to describe Valentino Rossi, the 9 time world champion bike rider, but I may be wrong.

17. Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with Mary. 1a is very weak. In fact, on my first pass, I had OUTBACK which seems more suitable

Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Welcome and well done Digby. I thought this a slightly trickier than usual Giovanni and certainly wouldn’t have wanted it for my first blog (mine was a Rufus :) ) Thanks to Giovanni to for the Friday morning wake up – I have a spot by 19a to show that I liked it, probably because of the d’oh moment when I ‘got’ the wordplay.

I don’t think today’s Toughie is one for the amateur Toughie solver – it took me ages to finish off anyway. As Jezza says, “tricky in places” (several!!)

• pommers
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

As for the Toughie – I think I’ve discovered where the hobnails have been hiding all week. I think Notabilis had them and was sharpening the impaling spikes!

• Jezza
        Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve only just finished justifying why my answers are correct!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to crypticsue, Pommers and Jezza – I’m now suitably warned off the toughie! Having done reasonably on a couple this week it would be a pity to dent the confidence! Might see if I can get one answer …

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

try 27a

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath – parts of it are OK but it does have a few stings in the tail!!! Give it a go and after these comments it shouldn’t dent the confidence if you get a bit stuck.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks, again, crypticsue and pommers – managed three! Well, two that I’m reasonably sure about (the aforementioned 27a and 1a) – haven’t yet looked at the hints but think that I’ve also got 21a – if I’m wrong it’s certainly a viable alternative!

19. Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Nice one Digby, well done that man, splice the mainbrace!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks Nubian – too good an invitation to turn down! As a humble Midshipman at Royal Naval Air Station Lossiemouth I had to “supervise” the issue of the Rum Ration. There was quite a lot left over, which couldn’t be returned to the barrel. The remainder of the day was just a haze, which I suppose is why it was stopped!

20. AtH1900
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I add my congratulations for Digby. I agree about 1a, I instantly thought CAR PORT.

• AtH1900
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Of course, I meant 5a. Shakes head and shambles off for a cup of lemon and ginger tea.

21. BigBoab
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword and a very entertaining review, many thanks to Giovanni and to Digby.

22. Lea
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Well said BigBoab – a very good day to be doing the crossword. Welcome Digby – an excellent review – thank you.

Had several favourites but my downfall was once again a four letter word – this time it was 16a – the last in for me. Favourites included 1a (didn’t have a problem with it as thought it was quite clever actually. Also liked 9a, 14a and 19a.

Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle.

23. St. George
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Digby saved my life today! Very enjoyable but I needed your help with 9A, 16A and 14D. Does anyone know if ‘The Don’ is responsible for toadys back page quickie? 17A / 25A could be just about anything…couldn’t it?

Posted January 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, I am the biggest fan of Giovanni but I found this one just awful. 6d is not in .Chambers and 22a is just plain daft.following yesterday’s dreadful Ray T I am not enjoying the end of the week at all.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I tend to agree with your thoughts about 6d, but given our familiarity with the school itself, I can just about accept that the staff might be so dubbed (but see David’s comment at #25 below). What didn’t you like about 22a – I thought the was fair game, and it did afford the opportuunity to keep Pommers happy!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Now Barrie what did we say about referring to Mr T in the blogs of other setter’s puzzles.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Barrie?

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Don’t ask!

• mary
          Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

It could just be sue making a mistake on the other hand……….don’t ask! V naughty sue

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

And I was the one who was, quite rightly, told off for “bear baiting” yesterday …..

25. Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Good fun crossword. Thanks to Digby. The OED spells 6d differently + 1 more letter; would have also thought it was a noun for someone who attends, not who teaches.

26. Franny
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I add my welcome and congrats to Digby. I enjoyed the pictures he put on his blog too — that’s about the smallest and cutest wombat I’ve ever seen! I enjoyed the puzzle too, was grateful for the anagrams and amused that 7a and 22a rhymed, though the latter was the last in for me. Great fun, so thanks to Digby and the Don. :-)

• AlisonS
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I agree, Franny – v cute wombat!

• mary
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

yes well done with the pictures Digby :-)

27. upthecreek
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one immensely. Favourite was 17a but also liked 6 19 and 22. I put cur rail in for 1a – at least its different. Congratulations to Digby on your first blog -well done!

28. Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I think Pommers has won the sweepstake!

5,000,000 up, and the blog is not 3 years old until next Saturday.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

What is his prize – a week in Provence? Seriously, that’s a lot of blogging in a very short time!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

See evening comments yesterday. Prize is I DON’T have to blog the next Elgar Toughie! Blog it? Be lucky if I can even complete it, let alone undersatnd it!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Goes to show what a brilliant site this is!!! Well done Big Dave.

When do we get to 6,000,000? About mid-May at this rate!!

• mary
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Dave, what an achievement!!

29. Prolixic
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Welcome on board Digby and congratulations on your first blog. Now that BD has you in his clutches, there is no escape.

A nice crossword from Giovanni today with 17a my favourite. I checked in my copy of Chambers and the answer to 6d is there as an alternative spelling.

30. AlisonS
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I add my congratulations, Digby, on your first review – nicely hinted. My first thought on 5a was ‘dog rack’, but they’re normally in front of the shop and it would’ve made 5d very tricky! Favourites were 11,14,15 & 19a. Thanks to Giovanni and Digby.

31. Captain Lethargy
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Well done Digby. Something I wouldn’t want to do at all! Have been a pro musician and played in front of large audiences, but this is so different. Great start. I thought todays one was a bit hard and needed a lot of work. No particular faves. With thanks to Giovanni and Digby.

32. twizzle
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you for steering my fading brain cells. Now on the days when I just don’t get it I am having success -except for today toughie as it hasn’t hit the net – yet
    Thank you all .

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog twizzzle. I understand that Tilsit is just putting his finishing touches to the Toughie blog, having been in consulation with “He Who Must Be Obeyed” !

33. Soldier
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Digby for an excellent opening blog. Thanks too to the Don. I think one of the greatest charms of this site is the willingness of compilers to listen to our grumbles with such good humour and return on a regular basis. Congratulations to BD too, such an event deserves recognition.

34. Derek
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Digby!
    Another load of Friday fare from The Don! I had a day off yesterday.

Faves : 9a, 19a, 22a, 5d, 14d & 17d.

Weather here in NL is much colder with NW wind driving cumulo-nimbus along – plenty of rain but occasional sunny spells.

Roast chicken again tonight.

35. Libellule
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

A nice first blog Digby, I am suitably impressed. May I also extend my welcomes too.

36. Grumpy Andrew
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Lovely blog, unlike the grim crossword. 6d is near as damn it a made up word, outside Germany anyway. What’s the abbreviation for a Scottish hat in 2d? I got 5a but can’t see where “behind shop” fits in, please help. And 10a is a word that I’ve never heard anyone ever use.
    Now leaving office to commute home by train, something else to get grumpy about.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
    • Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Hello Andrew – I hope your journey home didn’t add fuel to your grumpy fire. 5a has had “mixed reviews”, with even the distinguished setter admitting it was not one of his better clues. 6a also generated some debate, but just about got away with it. I think 10a, though not in everyday use, does appear on the menu in certain restaurants – “Noisettes of Lamb au jus” and all that.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

What “Scottish hat” in 2d? Are we doing a different crossword – I’m confused!!

37. Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

In view of the state of pommette and I this week I can’t help but notice we had the ‘loo’ clue yesterday and ’emetic’ in a clue today! How did RayT and Giovanni know in advance?

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

…. and senna!! :smile: do hope that Pomette makes a speedy recovery.

38. Silveroak
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on your first blog Digby. I had finished the puzzle but needed help with understanding why in 22a and your explanation was great, as it was for all the clues. I was hoping Falcon would sign on today to thank him for the 6-8″ of snow he is sending down to Chicago where it is also bitter cold (-4 F with the wind chill when I woke up this morning). Good excuse to stay in the warmth with the DT crossword and a good mystery book.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Greetings to the Windy City! Maybe Falcon’s lines are all down, so he can’t communicate with the outside world – I hope not. Weather in Heavenly Henfield (close to Gatwick Airport) not great – at least it wasn’t when darkness descended – but no snow in prospect, at least.

39. Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

What’s happened to the banner?

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Still there on my screen – I use Firefox, should that be relevant?

• Franco
      Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I still have the banner when using Google Chrome.

But no banner using IE. I thought it was a 24 hour thing. It’s best not to protest too much, methinks!

40. Maximus
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

I have been using this blog for a couple of months now and couldn’t do without it, so many thanks to all involved. Has anyone also come across 10a as being an espresso with warm milk? A phrase used in parts of France I believe.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

A warm Yorkshire welcome to our friendly little blog, Maximus. Your definition of 10a is a new one to me, but Pommers or Libellule may wish to comment?

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Not me – always thought the noisette was a tasty bit of lamb!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Found this: Café Noisette (kuh-fay nwah-zett) is espresso with a dash of cream in it. It is called “noisette,” French for hazelnut, because of the rich, dark colour of the coffee.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Often said in the past that this blog is an educational place! Thanks Gazza – new one on me!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

New one on me too – we live and learn (and hopefully store up this kind of information to be taken out and used at some time in the future!)

41. Franco
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to Digby on his first review!

I thought that t’blog were gradely! Aye lad – reet good!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Cheers lad. After an interesting and challenging day, I took the first, and current, Mrs Digby out for a tipple in our local hostelry. And – joy of all joys – the guest beer was Black Sheep from the brewery in Masham that we visited on a recent visit back home. Life doesn’t get much better than that!

42. Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Oh that I could taste Black Sheep. But, here in France, I rely on regular shipments. Well done Digby

43. Franco
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

One more comment and Digby will get his ton!

(Don’t mention Cricket!!)

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Unlike the batsman mentioned in Digby’s hint for 1d!

Oops! Didn’t read the second line!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for calling me for that quick single, Franco. I would have been quite happy with a solid 50, but to make a ton on debut feels grand. I had the doubtful priviledge of watching Mr Boycott’s first knock for Yorkshire (in Bradford as I recall) and one has to admire his dedication. But my phylosopy of life tends to be a bit more aggressive than his more dour approach.

44. Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

An entertaining puzzle and a very accomplished review in my opinion. Well done Digby and thanks to Giovanni,
    I really don’t see the problem with 6d myself – it was my favourite clue!

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for popping back, Gnomey, following your earlier visit. Isn’t it just fascinating that clues which seem such an anathema to some are quite brilliant to others!? That’s what makes life in general, and this blog in particuar, such fun! Thanks for your help in preparing me for this day.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

De rein, mon ami! That was just some techy stuff – A blog is what you have to say and that’s all yours!

• mary
          Posted January 21, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Nicely put Gnomey :-)

45. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blogging world, Digby!

Nice puzzle from the Don and a great blog as well.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni for the puzzle & congratulations to Digby on debut for the review & hints, which for once I didn’t need. Last in was 5a, which I thought was a bit of a strange clue. Favourites were 2 & 17d. A day late blogging as I was laid low by a bug or food poisoning yesterday, not the Spanish one though!

• Posted January 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks Heno – better late than never. Hope you are feeling better; according to today’s blog Pommette is on the mend.

• Heno
        Posted January 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Cheers Digby, I am on mend now thanks. I wish you continued success with your reviews.