Hints and Tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

A pleasant, gentle stroll from Giovanni today should please the Clueless Club. I wavered between two and three stars for difficulty, but I had no doubt about the four stars for entertainment because it has many enjoyable and amusing clues. Let us know what you thought of it by leaving a comment.
If, in spite of the hints, you still need to see an answer, just highlight the space between the brackets under the relevant clue.

Across Clues

1a  Police officer’s boss, a venomous type (10)
{COPPERHEAD} – an informal term for a police officer is followed by a boss to make a venomous snake.

6a  Rod’s pale-looking little daughter (4)
{WAND} – the definition is rod. Put together an adjective meaning pale-looking and the abbreviation (little) for daughter.

10a/11a  Plant people in a house in Westminster (5,3,6)
{LORDS AND LADIES} – another name for the common arum (plant) or, alternatively, the people who sit on the red benches in one of the Houses in Westminster.

12a  Paint bird and mammal around edge of canvas (8)
{EMULSION} – string together a flightless bird and a powerful mammal and put the last letter (edge) of canvaS inside to make a type of paint.

13a  Zest comes with a burst of passion and love (5)
{GUSTO} – the definition is zest or exuberant enjoyment. Start with a burst of passion and add the letter that looks like zero (love, in tennis).

15a  Examine cloth before start of snooker (7)
{CANVASS} – a verb meaning to examine or question someone in order to ascertain their opinion is made from a rough cloth (as given in 12a) followed by the initial letter (start) of Snooker.

17a  Being maturer, corrected mistake (7)
{ERRATUM} – an anagram (corrected) of MATURER produces a mistake in printing or writing.

19a  Old lover attached to gangster and rocker gets praised (7)
{EXALTED} – a past participle meaning praised is a charade of an informal word for a one-time partner (old lover), the abbreviated forename of the most famous American gangster and a rocker of the 1950s.

21a  Study what could be binding agreement (7)
{CONCORD} – the definition is agreement and it’s made from a verb to study followed by something that can be used to bind. It seems odd to see it without a French letter.

22a  Tom is one of five on hand (5)
{THUMB} – double definition, the first being the surname of little General Tom.

24a  Sailor, the Parisian on board ship lacking sparkle (8)
{STARLESS} – put a favourite Crosswordland term for a sailor and the French definite article (plural form) inside (on board) the abbreviation for steamship.

27a/28a   Weed in countryman’s bag (9,5)
{SHEPHERD’S PURSE} – this white-flowered weed is a small bag belonging to a countryman charged with tending flocks. The surface reading is very amusing.

29a  District I had found in most prosperous region? (4)
{SIDE} – put a contraction of I had inside the most prosperous corner (region) of the U.K. to make a district (a term used more in North America than here, to mean part of a city, as fans of U.S. cop shows like Hill Street Blues will know well).

30a  Perhaps someone on TV answered awkwardly, with hesitation (10)
{NEWSREADER} – an anagram (awkwardly) of ANSWERED is followed by hesitation to make someone you might see on TV (the “perhaps” indicating that the person may also be heard elsewhere, on the radio for instance).

Down Clues

1d  Frigid Conservative of a previous generation? (4)
{COLD} – start with the abbreviation of Conservative and add a description of someone no longer in the first flush of youth.

2d  Problem with Nero — some slap-happy Roman, I admit (9)
{PYROMANIA} – brilliantly disguised (some) in the clue is the obsessive desire (problem) that the Emperor Nero, allegedly, suffered from.

3d  Wife ditched by scoundrel — support needed (5)
{EASEL} – the scoundrel is also a small, carnivorous animal. Remove its initial W (wife ditched) to leave a support.

4d  Strong men making big efforts when one gets trapped (7)
{HEAVIES} – start with big efforts to lift something substantial and put I inside (one gets trapped) to get large, strong men who are often criminally-inclined.

5d  A new poet’s movement (7)
{ANDANTE} – put together A, N(ew) and the most famous Italian poet to make a musical movement which has to be played in a moderately slow tempo.

7d  Fuss about one beginning to say farewell (5)
{ADIOS} – the Spanish word for farewell is a synonym for fuss around (about) I (one), ending with the initial letter (beginning) of Say.

8d  Way after party maiden gets put out (10)
{DISCOMMODE} – a verb meaning to put out or cause inconvenience to is made from a way or manner which comes after a party at which people dance and M(aiden) (cricketing term).

9d  Dependant is honourable, hiding hot displeasure (6-2)
{HANGER-ON} – someone who is dependant (with a hint of sycophancy) is constructed from the abbreviation for honourable around (hiding) a strong (hot) feeling of displeasure or annoyance.

14d  It’s insects that will excite entomologists, say (10)
{SCIENTISTS} – an anagram (will excite) of IT’S INSECTS produces experts of which entomologists are just one example (say).

16d  Road suggesting a classy 100mph? How horrible getting stuck in that! (8)
{AUTOBAHN} – this is a German motorway (on certain stretches of which there used to be no speed limit, though I’m not sure if that is still the case). Start with A and the letter denoting upper-class (classy) and add a slang term for 100mph. Finally insert (getting stuck in) an exclamation expressing disgust (how horrible!) as used by Scrooge about Christmas.

18d  Took in bags? (9)
{TROUSERED} – cryptic definition of a verb meaning pocketed, with bags being the garment having the pockets.

20d  Merit of French present at the table (7)
{DESERVE} – a verb meaning to merit is a charade of the French word for of and to present (food) at the table.

21d  What may sound like Santa’s bits of the contract (7)
{CLAUSES} – an amusing and cryptic definition of the sections or articles in a contract.

23d  Turn over London railway terminus? (5)
{UPEND} – double definition, the second cryptic. A verb meaning to invert or turn over could also be (bearing in mind that all journeys to London are regarded as a movement to a higher position) a description (2-3, probably) of the London terminus of a railway line.

25d  Drinks before start of exam — a mistake (5)
{LAPSE} – a verb meaning drinks like an animal is followed by the initial letter (start) of Exam.

26d  Tackle items in the wardrobe? (4)
{GEAR} – double definition.

The clues I enjoyed today included 1a, 27/28a, 2d, 3d, 16d and 23d but my favourite is 18d. Let us know what you liked in a comment.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink | Reply

What a lovely day. The sun is shining, the Cryptic is indeed very entertaining – I agree with your ‘favourite/enjoyed clue selections. I hope when Wingnut reads 16d he remembers what I said on Wednesday! Not only that but the Toughie, although living up to its name, is fabulous too. Thanks Giovanni and Gazza. Now if only I was on a nice country walk instead of being stuck in an office…. but you can’t have everything.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Lucky you Sue, we have had torrential rain since yesterday afternoon, loads of country walks here, but you would have to be mad to go out today unless it was essential!! rain still really very heavy, thunder & lightning too

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

I did see that Wales was in for a battering on this morning’s weather forecast. This is, however, our first proper sun for some time so I definitely think I should be outside enjoying it before it goes again on Sunday.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

we have been suitably battered Sue and it is still persisting down as someone else on the blog said today :)

2. mary
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Good morning Gazza, thanks for blog, though I didn’t use it, I’m not sure this will please all us CCers, personally I found it difficult to get into and had to use my ‘aids’ a lot, for me it was between a 3* and 4* Off to read through blog now

• Vince
      Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink | Reply

Mary, you always seemed to be ashamed of using your “aids”. Your completing more crosswords and enjoying it, so does it matter?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink | Reply

No it doesn’t matter Vince, I would like one day to be able to complete without though, the main reason I mention it is that fellow CCers don’t get the impression that I can do them all without any help, that can be very discouraging for those of us who are struggling :) I think it’s like learning anything, you need the books etc to help you learn

• Sarah F
          Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ll join you in this, Mary. I thought 27 & 28 a was an anagram until I got 23d, so I had to look up my Crosswords Lists to get the weed, and was taken with this clue.

• Vince
          Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

We all have to resort to some kind of reference media sometimes. Nobody knows everything. I had to use a dictionary today, as I’d never heard of the answers to 10a or 27a. It doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks, Mary. You’re improving and enjoying it ,and that’s all that matters, in my humble opinion.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

3. Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:24 am | Permalink | Reply

My head is not in a very good place at the moment and I struggled through this. Looking back it was more straightforward than I made it. 2d was favourite.
    Thanks to gazza and Giovanni.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink | Reply

where is your head gnomey??

• Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Stressed out but work issues resolved. Sunny and warm in Kent

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

you must be very good people in Kent, glad issues are resolved haven’t seen you on COW this week??

• Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

So farone poor idea which I may post later. Needs work though.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

pretty tough word this week, I think

Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

sorry !!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Less work??

Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

You know me too well !

Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Obviously :)

4. Vince
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable puzzle today. So many good clues, but 2d stood out for me, closely followed by 14d.

5. Prolixic
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink | Reply

Highly enjoyable – many thanks to Giovanni for some excellent clues, 2d being my favourite. This and the Toughie today made the commute fly by. Thanks too to Gazza for the blog.

6. Across_Tick
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink | Reply

Gazza, Thanks for the YouTube of EMU on the Parkinson Show – haven’t seen it for years.
    My favourite was also 18d although this held me up as I had originally entered “treasured” for some reason.
    Also, thanks for introducing me to “surface reading” – completely missed it in 27a & 28a.
    I’ll add to the weather report – nice and sunny on the Essex coast.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink | Reply

you should be glad you’re not holidaying in West Wales!! what’s the weather doing with you Gazza?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:48 am | Permalink | Reply

Drizzly in Devon.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink | Reply

Love Devon, often stay in Exmouth at the Imperial on the front, we have always been lucky and had beautiful weather when we are there

Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink | Reply

Not relevant to this cryptic but if anyone likes a pangram, try the quickie!

• Across_Tick
      Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

I got up bright and early today to do the crosswords, not early enough it seems to realise that today’s Quickie is a pangram. In fact, I didn’t know what a pangram was – but I do now, Thanks.

Is there a technical term for the puns that always feature in the opening across solutions in the Quickie? e.g this week’s offerings:- {Brighton + Early}, {Alley + Money}, {Bare + Whit + Ness}, {Twain + Tea + For} , {Halos + Haler}.

Or are they just puns?

8. Sarah F
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink | Reply

Enjoying working on this—no rush so taking my time.

Lovely day here in Auld Reekie so having early lunch and get out before any rain comes. Avoiding town as VERY busy with the Edin. Festivals in full swing!

Thanks to Giovanni & the reviewer.

9. mary
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

One of the best moments on tv ‘the emu clip’ it was hilarious, 2d, fav for lots today, I didn’t even see it hidden in the clue – duh! but knew it had to be that with ‘roman and i’ just couldn’t figure out where the rest came from, stupid or what!

10. Geoff
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t get very far with this one, only 14 before needing the blog and some of those with a few hints from Mary – thank you! I can see there is some clever stuff here and look forward to a day when most of it doesn’t go over my head. Found the snake on a list in Wiki – hilarious, so that’s my no 1!

Good stuff, thanks G&G, from breezy and grey, but dry so far, Oxford.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Books will arrive soon Geoff then there’ll be no stopping you :)

11. droopyh
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Great end to the week – thanks to Giovanni and Gazza. Loved 2d and smiled when I got 8d – I had been struggling with an anagram of DO, ST and MAIDEN. Is ‘hot’ in 9d superfluous?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

hi droopyah, not sure but think it’s needed to express ‘anger’ as an intense displeasure?

• Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

I would agree. the HOT qualifies anger rather than other milder types of irritation.

12. BigBoab
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely stuff from Giovanni and great review from Gazza.

13. Nubian
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Great puzzle today. Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza

14. SOLDIER
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Was stuck on 22 across. I saw the first of the 2 definitions, but was stuck with the five. is it there to misdirect, or am I being really thick?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Soldier – Its one of the five digits on the hand?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s one of the five digits on a hand.

15. Lea
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

For some reason it took me a bit of time to get on the wave length of this and it wasn;t helped by putting in rods for 26d – made sense to me at the time (and still does) but of course when I got the delightful 27/28a I knew it was wrong,. My other favourite was 21d but I did not like 18d.

Thanks G & G – some excellent clues and of course an excellent review.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

well done Lea, 18d, I’d never heard of in the respect of ‘took’

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

“To trouser” has overtones of pocketing money that perhaps doesn’t belong to you. It’s the sort of verb that Bertie Wooster was fond of using.

• Lea
          Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks GAxzza – still doesn’t make me like it.

16. SOLDIER
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks. I was being thick – for some stupid reason I’d convinced myself I was looking for another term for finger (thinking I required something to fit all five).

Never mind, soldiers aren’t normally noted for exceptional intellect!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

really? you must be pretty clever to finish this :) soldiers, fingers, now whats the connection? ah yes boiled eggs, you could be an egghead! ignore me I’m a bit bored today the weather here is atrocious

• Lea
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too bad here in west London. Wind has come up but it has been muggy all morning and we could do with the rain to clear the air (especially since I have done my shopping!!).

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

just did my shopping online :)

• Lea
            Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I do that in the winter and will do it when I am recuperating after my hip operation but Fridays I go to the gym – go for coffee – do my shopping and then sometimes go to my local craft shop to do a make and take. That’s why I don’t always get the puzzle completed before about 1’ish.

Shopping on line is good – I do a lot of it :smile:

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

that’s really good to get all that and the xword done by 11 :)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

what’s a ‘make and take’ I thought you would ‘take and make’?

• Lea
                  Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s to do with card making – local craft shop owner has a mini class on a Friday and you get to make the card and take it away. I don’t go every week but when I can – good way to refresh the brain and techniques that I might have forgotten as I have been card making for a lot of years now.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

my sister in law who lives in Alberquerque ( I always spell that wrong) is really into handmade cards, when I make mine I do them on the computer

• Lea
                      Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I do that sometimes but my preference is rubber stamping and watercolouring.

• Across_Tick
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

That reminds me of 7d in DT26308 – review by Libellule as follows:-
        7. Too tough for soldiers to break through (4-6)
        {HARD-BOILED} – Possibly my favourite of the day. The soldiers in this case are pieces of toast and the answer refers to the sort of egg you wouldn’t eat them with.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes I remember that one )

17. SOLDIER
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mary,

You’re being far too kind.

Unfortunately I’m neither (pretty or clever). i also doubt whether I’d taste much good dipped in a boiled egg.

Sorry folks – I won’t interupt the blog any futher today.

• Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Soldier

Off-topic comments are always welcome here.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ooh good thought you were going to tell me off for talking too much ;-)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

This echoes what I said to the Gnome this morning : “Was just reading the cryptic posts today. What a nice lot cryptic solvers are – sympathy, encouragement, weather forecasts, handy hints, you can’t beat it!”

• Lea
          Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree – it makes for an interesting community.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

can’t think what I used to do with my time before!!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s often the topics away from the subject of crosswords that come up in the comments that I enjoy the most. (Think that is probably a very badly constructed sentence – sorry folks but I’m sure that you will all get the general idea!!)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I do, me too, I think that makes it 100 comments today :)

• Lea
            Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

And yet only 22 votes for the puzzle!!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I voted and have made 8 comments including this one, four of which related to the puzzle!

• Across_Tick
                Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m a mere newcomer – how do you vote?

• Lea
                  Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Across_Tick – If you look at the bottom of the review by Gazza he always puts a comment abut his favcourites and then below that are the voting stars.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

after the blog hints/answers and before the comments start, there ia a row of golden stars you vote by clicking accordingly

• Across_Tick
                    Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Mary and Lea,

I have now voted.

Mary, sorry about the weather in Welsh Wales but with you being housebound it’s made for a very entertaining Blog!!!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

well that’s some consolation, thanks :)

• Lea
                Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Me too – for the voting and 8 (now 9) but havcen’t worked out how many relate to the puzzle.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

The 103 (now) comments were made by 22 different posters (including Giovanni, wonder if he voted?) – so that more or less works.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

I voted

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

I didn’t – have only just read how to do it – will do so from now on!

18. Digby
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

2d brilliant. 16d clever, 18d and 23d both amusing. Definitely 3*+ for difficulty, as it took me a long time to get going. Then it all fell into place nicely. Cheers G-guys. Have a nice weekend everyone – hope it stops raining, Mary, but please don’t send it to Sussex – Tennis Club BBQ tomorrow!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think we just might be sharing it tomorrow Digby, sorry :) Still tipping down here, anyone else had the thunder and lightning??

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

the dogs refuse to go out today, I have to make them

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

When it’s raining our dog (she’s a wonderful little collie spaniel cross – 11 years old next Tuesday) stands at the kitchen door and says “If you want to go out in this, you go – I’ll just stay at home if you don’t mind”

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

that’s exactly what mine say too, they are cross spaniel/bassett :)

19. Giovanni
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for encouragement. If you want a tougher challenge, try me as Pasquale over at The Guardian. Most of the fifteen squared bloggers hate me today!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s just as well you’ve got us then :)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

I did about half of your Pasquale before resorting to 15 squared. I do like a challenge but ran out of lunch hour.

• Posted August 21, 2010 at 9:31 am | Permalink | Reply

I have been dismayed by the comments on both Fifteensquared and The Guardian Crossword website (which is different to Guardian Talk and nothing to do with the odious characters who used to post there). The Guardian comments were particularly nasty and unkind, and I reiterate nothing to do with the Talkboard, some seem to be the Fifteensquared bods.

It takes all sorts to make a broad church, and, if I was a crossword editor, I would jump at the chance of having puzzles from Giovanni who produces elegant, stylish and accessible puzzles. Likewise Rufus would be in my list.

Giovanni’s Graun puzzle was a tough one, but compared to most of the fare offered by the paper this week, it was way above most of the other puzzles. I like tough puzzles but I can also appreciate and recognise the effort by most setters. In many ways , it is harder produce an easier puzzle that meets the strictures of good sound cluewriting.

20. Patsyann
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Finished all but 16down. Bah! A hint that it was German would have been appreciated. We are having all sorts of weather here on the Wirral to-day. Thunder storm this morning; bright warm sunshine for a brief spell at lunch time and now it’s persisting down.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Patsyann,
      Putting “German road” would have made it too easy, don’t you think? I thought that the 100mph was a good hint that it was German.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

being an ignoramus 100 mph didn’t do it for me Gazza

Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

I like ‘persisting down’ as an alternative :)

• Nubian
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

At the Japanese car factory in Sunderland it is raining Dastun Cogs.

21. Gari
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Finished it quite easily today, although had to revert to list of reptiles to get 1a, nice and sunny here in the Dover area, off to the garage now to do some more motorbike restoration whilst I have time on my own. :D

Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

lucky you in sunny Dover, I just can’t believe the weather we are having!

• Gari
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

hi Mary
        Its really quite nice and sunny here with a little bit of a breeze we seem to have our own microclimate, just going to make the most of it now and walk the labradoodle’s over the fields.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah you have labradoodles, I have two spanetts :) enjoy your walk, mine have just slept all day today

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have tried really hard to work out what a spanett is – the best that I can come up with is a spaniel bassett cross … ! The mind absolutely boggles!

Posted August 21, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Yes you are right Kath, father cocker spaniel, mother bassett hound, they are called ‘first crosses’ and apparently with any first cross, if you breed them for four generations with the original breed they are accepted back into the kennel club, we had ours spayed.

22. mary
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

To get back to the crossword in 3d was needed needed?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

No, it’s padding, but something is obviously required there to make the surface reasonable.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, on reading it again it makes sense to keep it, the ‘wife’ obviously needing support as she’s been ditched, its amazing how you read things differently hours later

23. ChrisH
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t find this very difficult, but harder than Thursday’s. Wasn’t too impressed with 29a, 16d and 26d. Liked 18d.
    It’s dull, grey, miserable and sometimes very wet here in the E.Midlands.

24. Pete
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Continuing with the weather theme some brief periods of warm sun followed by heavy rain here in N. Yorks. A not sure what to do day.
    Thought this was tricky today with some interesting clues. Took a while for 10a and 27a to drop. Liked 2d and 16d not happy with 23d.
    Thanks to Gazza and the bloggers. It is getting bigger by the day.

25. Barrie
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice one today, probably for me the best of the week (not done very well this week I’m afraid). Just one thing, did I miss something, how are you supposed to know that 7d is a Spanish term?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am not sure you necessarily need to know that its Spanish as its one of those words like Ciao that seem to have infiltrated common usage. I just saw it as one of the many words setters use to convey ‘goodbye’. Where have you been lately? You have been very quiet.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

The definition is just farewell. The wordplay is fairly straightforward and Adios is a fairly well-known word, being heard in countless films, usually followed by “Amigo”.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Barrie, where have you been, hope you’re not hiding in the corners of the CC, you are well past that now :)

• Barrie
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry to be missing from the Bog and the CC but I have been working some very long hours on a film set and I leave home before the papers come so I have been doing the crossword the following morning and I’m not sure my mind works well at 5.30am! Got 2 weeks off whilst they are shooting in Paris before we start again at the end of the month.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hadn’t missed you in the ‘bog’ actually Barried but do tell more what are you doing on this film set and what is the film and do you get paid and etc. etc. etc.

• Barrie
            Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry speed of the eye faster than the finger!! It should of course be BLOG!. Although this week some of the puzzles have left me in a bit of a bog :-)
            I am working as what is called a supporting artiste on the new martin Scorsese movie, The Invention of Hugo Cabret at Shepperton Studios, sounds glamorous but is actually very hard work with brutal hours. It’s being filmed in 3D which makes it even harder work and it is supposed to be February 1929 so you can imagine what the costumes are. Very hot work. As it is likely to be filming right through to the end of the year, I will I’m afraid continue to be a somewhat peripatetic contributor to the blog. But it great to know its here when I get home the following day and see where I have as usual gone wrong!! Keep up the good work and thanks to all the hard working guys and gals who help us in the CC.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sounds really exciting Barrie, well done you, we will miss you on the blog and your thought provoking comments :) but as you say you will be popping back and fore have fun :)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sounds very interesting A film star amongst us and we never knew.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Which bog is that then? :D

Posted August 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well – to get the important things done before anything else I’ll start off by commenting on the crossword! I really enjoyed this one – lots of lovely clues – 1, 10&11, 27&28 across, 2, 14, 16, and 21 down to name (?number) some. Got a bit hung up with 8d – managed to convince myself that the ‘maiden’ was going to be ‘over’ somewhere in the middle (see, I really WILL get to grips with these wretched references to all the things that I can’t do – cricket, football, rugby, golf) – anyway got there in the end. Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

Weather in Oxford is absolute rubbish – very grey and hot and humid but no rain, or thunder and frightening, as it’s always called in our family! Don’t really care very much – off to France early on Tuesday morning – can’t wait!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

It has rained solidly now for over 26hrs, wish I was in South of France, one of my sister in laws lived there but she now lives in Brittany that’s a bit like home from home weather wise

• Across_Tick
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

In-laws in Alberquerque and Brittany – any others? Can you contact them so we can get a world-wide weather report?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Funny Across-Tick, weather in New Mexico is almost always fantastic so you can take that as a given, not sure about Brittany today sorry :)

27. Nora
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

I got completely stuck on the German motorway as I was going through the alphabet wondering what could follow the ‘h’ in English. Kicked myself hard when I read the hint. Favourite clues are 12a and 30a.

Seems like the blog has become a weather roundup so I’ll throw in my 32 degrees and lovely in the pool in Valencia!

Posted August 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Now I’m crying :)

• Libellule
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mary,
        30 degrees here in the Loire :-) Rain forecast on Monday – allegedly.

Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

thanks for making my day Libellule :)

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lucky old you but bum to the rain forecast for the Loire on Monday – that’s where we are going on Tuesday – maybe we’re going to take it with us. Don’t care – a few days break is great whatever the weather.

• Jezza
            Posted August 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just got back from a week in Marseille… the weather was fantastic every day, and even when I left this morning, the forecast was good for most of France.

28. Geoff
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe I should know this :oops: but what’s the vote for? Enjoyment rating?

Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes – How much did you enjoy it?

• Geoff
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not as much as I would have if I had been able to do more of it before resorting to the extremely fine blog. One day, maybe … and I’ve voted.

• Geoff
        Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

PS. Enjoyed it a lot as it was.

29. Edi
    Posted August 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thoroughly enjoyable xwrd today. was surprised to see it was giovanni. but after reading gazzas tips i realised i had 24a wrong. i had seamless, as in seaman. Not been a great week for me perhaps just need time to get back in the swing of it. must renew my CC membership. have day off tomorrow so will be looking forward to the prize xwrd. many thanks to all. :smile:

Posted August 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Doors to CC always open and welcoming Edi

30. Spindrift
    Posted August 21, 2010 at 8:14 am | Permalink | Reply

For a while I thought we were back to the good old days when Friday was the hardest puzzle of the week then it started to fall into place with 8d being the last one in. As far as the weather in Middle England is concerned it has not stopped raining since Wednesday & shows no sign of letting up so I guess that was Summer for this year…

31. Derek
    Posted August 21, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink | Reply

Another rollicking puzzle from Giovanni.

Best for me were 5d, 16d and the two double-worded plants 10/11a &27/28a.

32. Wingnut
    Posted August 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Needed your help for 3. in fact I gave up and looked at the answer for 2 of them. Didn’t like 18d.

33. claire
    Posted August 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Back after 3 weeks with the family in South Africa to an enjoyable ‘easeine’ back into crosswordland. Just needed a hint for 2 in the top right corner so thanks guys.

Posted August 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome back, Claire.

34. Posted September 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Best clue for me AUTOBAHN.Would some explain this;Recital that schoolchildren may finish at 10:30?THREE TIMES TABLE.By the way,are there Americans who fill cryptic xwords as there’s are different.

• Jezza
      Posted September 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe some link between X=10 XXX=30…. X being TIMES??

Posted September 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think it’s to do with reciting the three times table, where you (may) finish with TEN threes are THIRTY. Although I seem to remember that when I was in junior school we had to recite tables up to multiples of twelve, i.e. the three times table would finish with 12 threes are 36. Perhaps it’s different now – It may depend on where the clue comes from.