DT 28534 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28534 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

8a    ‘Stormy Weather’ overwhelms a songster (8)
An anagram (stormy) of WEATHER around (overwhelms) the A from the clue

9a    Forge commonplace name as front for unknown quantity (6)
Another name for a forge is derived from a commonplace name followed by an unknown quantity – a bit same-both-sidesy as the derivation of said commonplace name is someone who forges metals with a hammer

11a    Recover consciousness — and die as result? (4,2,4)
A phrasal verb meaning to recover consciousness (4,2) followed by a verb meaning to die

12a    Two separate points in landing-place could make you groggy (6)
Two compass points inserted into separate parts of a landing-place

17a    Trace undergarment — one, say, that has been returned (7)
An undergarment followed by I (one) and the reversal (that has been returned) of the Latin abbreviation for “say” or “for example”

20a    Stick bond with glue coming unstuck (8)
An anagram (coming unstuck) of BOND with GLUE

22a    Article by church dignitary of South American eminence (6)
The two-letter indefinite article followed by a church dignitary

26a    Patent a clever gripping thing to wave about (8)
Hidden (gripping) inside the clue – but what a dreadful definition

1d    Rodent bit sandwiches I’m holding quietly (8)
A bit or thick piece around (sandwiches) I’M itself around (holding) the musical notation for quietly – Expat Chris has these in her garden!

2d    Last character coming in to cut grass is dim (4)
The last character of the alphabet inside some cut grass – I find it interesting that cut in this context can be an adjective or a verb, the clue becomes obvious once you decide which it is

4d    Unpleasant expert gives scowl (7)
An adjective meaning unpleasant (4) followed by an expert

6d    Stopped swallowing whisky, perhaps dejected (10)
A verb meaning stopped or lost power around the type of alcoholic drink of which whisky is an example (perhaps)

13d    Notice little Judith in hearing, little Catherine being judge (10)
A two-letter notice followed by what sounds like a contraction (little) of the name Judith and a similar contraction (little) of the name Catherine

16d    Crack up in the mountains (8)
a cryptic definition of a crack in the snow, perhaps one found up in the mountains

18d    I dig all wild hedging round flowers (8)
An anagram (wild) of I DIG ALL around (hedging) the round-shaped letter

21d    Animal seizing artist round throat (6)
An animal around the reversal of our usual artist

24d    Loud friend turns up — panic! (4)
The musical notation for loud followed by the reversal (turns up in a down clue) of a friend

The Crossword Club is now open.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

The Quick Crossword pun: mall+teas+sirs=Maltesers ©

Posted September 16, 2017 at 10:33 am | Permalink | Reply

After a glorious week in Tenerife, the first words I saw this morning when I turned to the puzzle on the back page of the paper were “Stormy Weather”. What a chilly welcome back to the UK – central heating turned on!

This pangram provided an excellent return to the crossword world – nice and light and a lot of fun. I had lots of candidates for favourite but I’ll settle for 2d.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I wondered where you’d got to – what happened to the pink slip requesting time off? :negative:

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

:oops:

Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I should think so too but you’re forgiven this time – don’t let it happen again though! :smile:

Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Talking of pink slips, has anyone seen Orphan Annie lately?

Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Now that you mention it, no.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

PS – What about LROK – haven’t seen him for a while either.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

We’ll just have to have a register –

I’ve emailed OA to check but I have a feeling LROK did submit a form, but that could be just my imagination

• Hoofityoudonkey
              Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Or Ann the Ant?

Posted September 16, 2017 at 5:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think she was probably Ann the Art – because she’s an artist rather than an insect!

• Banksie
                  Posted September 17, 2017 at 11:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Also,

The lady who rode horses a good deal, lived in north, I think, and always used paper and pencil for her anagrams.

She was v good at crosswords, can’t remember her name

• Banksie
                    Posted September 17, 2017 at 11:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Hanni……

2. Young Salopian
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 10:47 am | Permalink | Reply

I pretty much agree word for word with RD at #1 about this excellent puzzle. A terrific mixture of clue types, some simple and others more testing. 8a my favourite ahead of 2d, and 2.5*/4* overall.

Thanks to the Saturday setter and BD.

3. Senf
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 10:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Somewhere between 60% and 70% R&W, completed at a gallop – */***.

I wasn’t sure about 20a but BRB verification convinced me.

No standout favourite, but 14a and 13d were quite good.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

4. Aljanon
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 10:54 am | Permalink | Reply

I totally agree with the preceding comments and thought that it was a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle although, for me, there wasn’t a ‘Eureka!’ moment.

5. neveracrossword
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 10:57 am | Permalink | Reply

I know that “gripping” in 26a indicates a lurker. Could it also be part of the definition?

• Senf
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Given the ‘dreadful definition‘ (BD’s words), I think the choice of lurker indicator is probably a coincidence in a dreadful clue.

• Hoofityoudonkey
        Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

Agree about the definition. Reminds me of Baldrick’s definition of a cat : “not a dog”

6. Angellov
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:10 am | Permalink | Reply

Gently strolled through today’s enjoyable exercise but nothing stood out as particular Fav. Thank you Mysteron and BD. Presume DT apology re yesterday’s bungle is buried inconspicuously somewhere?!

• Angellov
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

Solvability of Quickie pun would seem to depend on how you pronounce 1a.

• Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

You presumed right, Angellov. See pic below.

• Angellov
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to CS I now see, as I anticipated, the “apologies” secreted amidst the Quickie solution.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looking at the back page of the paper, I don’t think he had an awful lot of room to play with

• Angellov
          Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Where there’s a will there’s a way!

7. Hoofityoudonkey
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Some great lurkers today.
    Strangely the DT website had this down as ***** For difficulty. I did not find it so.
    Does 12a = the definition?
    Favourite is 26a, though I see everyone else hates it!
    I spotted the panagram, it should have helped with 21d, which took an age to sort out.
    Thanks BD and Mr.Ron

8. Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyed this sleepy solve, except that dozy me put in a wrong answer for 15a which made 16d impossible. Sorted with the help of a friendly hinter. Favourites are 11a and 6d.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

9. MalcolmR
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Easily completed in ** time, but I’m fairly sure 3d is a new word to me.

Not sure why, but 19d gets COTD from me. Many thanks to one and all.

It’s a pity they couldn’t find time or space for an apology after yesterday’s debacle.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:40 am | Permalink | Reply

Look under the solution for yesterdays quick crossword

• Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

!!!—SPOILER ALERT—!!!

Yesterday’s Quickie answers below. Do not read further if you don’t want to see them.

Otherwise, for those who don’t have the paper paper, here’s a game of spot the apology:

• stanXYZ
        Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe there should be an apology for making the apology so difficult to find … almost a lurker!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

:good:

Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yesterday’s Quickie answers surely, not tomorrow’s :scratch:

• Posted September 16, 2017 at 1:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Sue. I’m a bit disorientated from time travelling. Fixed it now (or earlier, or later…).

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Now that Doctor Who is in the process of regenerating as a woman, I don’t see why he/she can’t regenerate in future (or even in the past) as a cat.

10. PLR
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 11:42 am | Permalink | Reply

Very pleasant work out on this grey morning in Nottingham. The 3d lurker eluded me for a bit but otherwise it was straightforward.

• spindrift
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

it’s raining this side of the trent. about to go to see our grandson on his first birthday in bunny & tomorrow he’s having a party with 20 of his friends in a pub over in lady bay. no, i don’t understand it either.

• Weekendwanda
        Posted September 16, 2017 at 5:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

A number of Nottinghamians are on the blog today. I picked up my paper at Nottingham Station before catching the 8.09 to Birmingham. Managed to complete on journey to Birmingham although at first sight looked tough. Favourites 9a and 13d. Also highly commended 20a for being a good anagram and just realised I spelt 16a wrongly. What I said about lurkers earlier in the week was confirmed today!

• Angiebaby
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 4:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you so much! I completely missed the lurker until I read your comment.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

I enjoyed this one and maybe for the first time ever I spotted the pangram – I usually think of it when I find the first uncommon letter and then forget about it.
    Rather stupidly my last answer was 26a but, having finally seen it, I liked the clue.
    Although I’ve heard the word that is the answer to 3d I didn’t know what it meant.
    I don’t like being picky but I agree with HIYD that 12a doesn’t quite fit the definition and I think the same applies to 21d.
    I liked 15 and 22a and 13 and 16d.
    Thanks to today’s setter and to BD.

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree about 21d, Kath. Isn’t the answer a part of the definition? Of perhaps, more accurately resides in the definition?

Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I think so – well, sort of. I don’t want to end up in the naughty corner as our grass needs cutting yet again but it would have been OK if the first letter had been replaced by two different ones.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 12:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

PS The first time our Younger Lamb had a sore throat she said, “My swallow hurts”.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

There’s a rare sighting of a Gazza NTSPP this week – they are always good fun so do have a go if you have time

Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree that they’re always really good fun – I couldn’t resist a very quick look in between doing stuff in the garden – I think it’s more difficult than usual but maybe I need to concentrate on it properly rather than trying to do it in dribs and drabs and not doing justice to it.

• spindrift
        Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

it’s not as hard as it looks at first sight. go on, give it a lash.

• Hoofityoudonkey
          Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Top half done, agree, it’s great fun

13. Michael
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Typical Saturday fare – all quite straightforward apart from 3d which was a new word for me – I suspected it from the wordplay and found it in the BRB.

I’m settling down for Leicester v Gloucester – it’s raining here so I don’t feel too guilty!

14. Sarah
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyed today’s offering even though it took me a while to get started. An early morning reheasal did not wake the little grey cells it seems. Still it all keeps me out of mischief!

15. jane
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 3:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

First crossword encounter following a week on IOW to check up on the progress of my new grandson. At least, I thought it was to visit my grandson – in reality it turned out to be a week of cleaning the house for his sleep-deprived Mum!

Back to the puzzle – it probably took longer than usual owing to the grey cells having had a week’s rest and I was really slow to get both the SA eminence and the 5d way.
    Unlike BD, the definition at 26a made me smile and I think my favourite was either that or 8a.

Thanks to Mr. Saturday Ron and to BD for the club.

16. Orphan Annie
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Sue for her concern, surprised I had been missed. Have still been doing crossword intermittently but not commenting regularly. Bit downcast by some of recent turn of events here so have stayed clear.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 5:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m glad you’re OK and it’s nice to see you back.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A steady solve, nothing to frighten the horses. Thought it might be a pangram after entering my first answer 2d. Last in was 26a. My favourite was 11a. Was 2*/3* for me.

18. Gwizz
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 6:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

This was a really nice Saturday crossword. I find normally that they miss the spot somehow so today’s was a pleasant surprise. 26a made me smile so that is my favourite. Overall 2/3.5.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD for the hints.

19. Jon_S
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 7:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Easy going on the RHS, a little stiffer to the left. The definition at 8ac elicited an almighty groan. Last in 15ac.

20. BusyLizzie
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 7:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Really enjoyed this today, and only held up by the bird in 8a, just cannot seem to fathom this anagram. Perhaps it will come to me later.

• jane
      Posted September 16, 2017 at 8:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Lizzie – I gave your love to IOW last week! How did you weather Irma?

• BusyLizzie
        Posted September 17, 2017 at 3:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

We escaped the worst winds, so no House damage thankfully. Just tired from prepping and unprepping, but so relieved. Worst was being without power, specifically AC, in our subtropical heat and humidity. Unfortunately we now have to keep any eye on Tropical Storm Maria heading our way and forecast to be another major hurricane. Praying it fizzles. Thanks for asking.

Posted September 16, 2017 at 8:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good fun. Thanks to Dutch for his blog.

22. Cryptic Mummy
    Posted September 16, 2017 at 9:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mmmmm found this hard going in places – 8a last to go in but did complete without looking at BD, so honour satisfied I think!

23. Vancouverbc
    Posted September 17, 2017 at 12:40 am | Permalink | Reply

Just printed this off and found it almost a R&W. Enjoyable nevertheless. Now to print off the Sunday puzzle. Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

• Alex
      Posted September 17, 2017 at 5:21 am | Permalink | Reply

Surprised myself by completing a puzzle without recourse to hints – so this was particularly satisfying. Didn’t know about pangrams so something to look for in the future. Favourite was 14a. Thanks to setter and BD.

24. Brendan O'Connor
    Posted September 17, 2017 at 9:01 am | Permalink | Reply

The google ads keep taking over the page

• Posted September 17, 2017 at 9:05 am | Permalink | Reply

Those ads allow me to continue to provide a service at no cost to you.

• Brendan O'Connor
        Posted September 17, 2017 at 11:32 am | Permalink | Reply

But I can’t read the page, I’m being immediately and continuoiusly directed to the ad section of the page. I can’t read the other content!

• Hoofityoudonkey
          Posted September 17, 2017 at 12:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ad blocker?

• JohnY
        Posted September 17, 2017 at 12:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Happened to me too Dave. Kept on flicking back to the ads before you had a chance to read anything. However, i re-loaded the page and it seems fine now.

• Brendan O'Connor
          Posted September 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve just switched from Chrome to Firefox and the problem has stopped!

Posted September 17, 2017 at 2:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Whatever is causing the problem, its intensely irritating when the page jumps up and down while you are trying to type a comment.

• jane
              Posted September 17, 2017 at 6:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, that’s happening to me as well – thought it was just me doing something silly, so it’s a relief to hear that others are also struggling.

Posted September 17, 2017 at 10:28 am | Permalink | Reply

Pleasant enough but over too soon.
    At least I had time to tackle Paul in the Guardian and Gazza in the Not The Saturday Prize.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD.

26. Badger
    Posted September 17, 2017 at 5:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m usually late but this time on a Sunday is early for me- too many other things to do. Enjoyed this – no hints needed, just put it down, leave for a bit and the answers leap out at you. Come and get you like 26a……
    I too found 3d a new word.
    Orphan Annie is it nice too be missed?
    Thanks BD and compiler.

27. Florence
    Posted September 18, 2017 at 7:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Just managed to get hold of Saturday’s DT. Fairly straightforward solve once I’d got my head round a few things. Plenty of anagrams to smooth the way. Thank you setter and BD.

28. Wanda
    Posted September 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh dear. I’m still stuck on 24a. A hint would be very much appreciated. I quite liked 4d and 6d.

• Banksie
      Posted September 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wanda

Founder is a verb in this instance.

• Weekendwanda
        Posted September 18, 2017 at 10:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh I see we have got another Wanda! I looked at this and thought it was from me (which it could not have been as I was watching Victoria and Abdul at the time!).

• Wanda
          Posted September 20, 2017 at 7:31 am | Permalink | Reply

I went to see that yesterday. An interesting film.