DT 28462 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28462 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Fairly good judge, following fashion (8)
A verb meaning to judge or assess preceded by (following) a fashion or style

10a    Channel without water mentioned (6)
Sounds like how to drink spirits without adding water

At least one person will recognise this, won’t you Jane?

13a    Clear coach’s avoiding one father? (11)
A type of coach and the S from ‘S without (avoiding) I (one) followed by the type of person of which a father is an example (indicated by the question mark)

16a    Summons to action from US president, and French come round (7,4)
The current US president (who, as opposed to Obama, is a gift to crossword setters) followed by the French for “and” and a verb meaning to come round and visit

21a    Leaving South Carolina, motorcyclist or walker (7)
Drop the abbreviation for South Carolina from the front of a motorcyclist

23a    Killer struck worker (6)
A three-letter verb meaning struck followed by a worker (the two-legged kind)

25a    After exercises, Swiss hero rolled over in small ball (6)
After a two-letter abbreviation for some Physical Exercises put the reversal (rolled over) of the surname of a Swiss hero (the one armed with a crossbow)

26a    Inconsistent bishop avoids scepticism following fashionable article (2,3,3)
Drop (avoids) B(ishop) from some scepticism and put what remains after (following) a two-letter words meaning fashionable and the indefinite article

1d    Man accepts alternative spirits (6)
A man around the two-letter word which indicates an alternative

4d    One responsible for somebody’s health after a meal (11)
A cryptic definition of the person who asks people to raise their glasses after a meal

6d    Favourite college will get over a bloomer (7)
A three-letter favourite followed by the three-letter abbreviation for a college and the A from the clue

7d    Caught on concerning a sled I damaged (8)
A two-letter word meaning concerning followed by an anagram (damaged) of A SLED I

8d    Intelligentsia must be switched on, period — it’s uplifting (8)
A three-letter verb meaning switched on a light followed by a very long period of time and the reversal (uplifting in a down clue) of IT

14d    Features cool spacecraft (8)
Some features followed by a three-letter a colloquial word meaning cool or trendy

15d    Grey knight in fix — and others (8)
The chess notation for a knight inside a three-letter verb meaning to fix followed by the Latin phrase meaning and others (2,2)

18d    Not a pleasing, deviating type of bowling (3,4)
An anagram (deviating) of PLE[A]SING without (not) the A

20d    Covert cult embracing religious class (6)
A cult around a two-letter religious class

The Crossword Club is now open.  I’ll be back after my monthly visit to the Village Café and Market.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

The Quick Crossword pun: Alec+sand+rhea=Alexandria

1. Michael
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Completed before lights out last night because I had to be up early for the All Blacks v Lions match.

The crossword was straightforward and very enjoyable nothing to frighten the horses, typical Saturday fare.

The Lions match was also enjoyable, they gave it a good go but the All Blacks were too quick and fluid in their play, the Lions looked like a Team who had only come together a few weeks ago – the Lions scored a great try though, so it wasn’t all doom and gloom!

2. Senf
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

**/*** – Completed at a fast canter and very enjoyable.

Favourite – 4d with 1a close behind.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

3. Toadson
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I had to remind myself t think a little differently to finish this one – for example 11a and 15d. Fascinating cricket clip. Have a good weekend all.

Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Early morning solve for me, taking advantage of being able to have the doors open before the humidity kicks in. 10A, 4D and 19D tickled my fancy. Thanks BD and the setter.

5. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Cheerful but short. No real problems or set-backs.
    4d my COTD.
    Thanks to setter & BD.
    Lions a little disappointing, not because they lost, nor because it was a poor game. They just gave up the ball too easily & made too many basic mistakes. No complaints the better team of rugby players won.

6. Orphan Annie
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

After a wobbly week I got through this all by myself so I loved it. As always far too many to pick favourite but 5a, 16a and 4d well up there.
    Have a lovely weekend.

7. Young Salopian
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I will also back 4d as my COTD. A fun and enjoyable solve for a Saturday, and overall 2.5*/4* from me. Nice mix of clues, and no obscurities.

Many thanks to the setter and BD.

The Lions need to score when they visit the All Black’s 22. Coming away with nothing on three or four occasions is not an option at this level.

8. Angellov
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Nice one apart from couple of self-inflicted problems mainly due to bunging in wrong solution to 4d (once sorted became Fav) and likewise first word for 16a (unparsed!). I also needed help to parse 18d. SW last to fall. TVM Mysteron and BD. Pity about the Lions – dreadful weather to play in. 2Ks are presumably pleased. Hope for better luck next time.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 24, 2017 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Yes we are pleased with the outcome of course, but the highlight of the game for us was the magnificent try scored by the men in red. An absolute masterpiece of rugby.

9. mcmillibar
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Great Saturday fare at **/*** with my vote also going for 4d which was my last one in. (I am sure I have seen that before a long time ago – bears being wheeled out again though).
    5a was a lovely clue as well.
    Golf comp this pm under grey skies. A perfect day… so far.

10. PLR
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

After the mauling I received from yesterday’s toughie this came as welcome light relief. 4d and 15d were top clues for me.

11. Aljanon
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

It’s been a late start for me today, after listening to this morning’s rugby commentary and having to go into town to do some shopping, but I’m pleased to say that my progress has been rapid and I’ve made up time. However, while I’ve put in what I believe to be the correct answer for 11a, I don’t understand the parsing of the clue so would someone kindly put me out of my misery please?

• Angellov
      Posted June 24, 2017 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Re 11a try fast eating/going around the rest of the clue – I hope not to end up in the naughty corner!

• Aljanon
        Posted June 24, 2017 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

As soon as I re-read the clue, Angellov, the penny dropped but I can’t help thinking that it was a rather clunky clue.

12. Gwizz
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Fairly straight forward solving with no real hold-ups involved; except the incorrect term for the first part of 1a did not help proceedings much.
    2/3* overall and 12d maybe my fave clue.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD for the hints.

Posted June 24, 2017 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Good stuff this, thank you Saturday setter.
    Fave was 4d, along with the mob, with 6d running second, just ‘cos I like them.
    My Mum used to do the 21a motorcycle thing, a long, long time ago in the 1920s. I have a silver plaque she was given for winning something in 1925.
    Thanks to BD for his hints and tips. Loved the pic at 10a, I also recognise it!

Posted June 24, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very straightforward and well put together puzzle. No problems, was 2*/3* for me. Favourite was 25a.

15. BusyLizzie
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Did so much better today after an abysmal week, thought my brain had stayed on vacation. Only 24a is stopping me from completing. Perhaps the answer will present itself later over lunch.

Posted June 24, 2017 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Follow the clue and do exactly what it says to do, step by step.

16. John Bee
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle today. too many good clues to pick out one (13 16 24 in the acrosses 4 8 and 15 in the downs.) heldup in the SE by 22 and 26a. Thanks to BD and the setter. Biting tongue to avoid the naughty corner as I have just worked out 24a

17. jane
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Solved this one over breakfast before going out for the day with No.1 daughter – the pair of us trying to take our minds off the fact that No.2 daughter is presently in hospital on IOW labouring to bring my first grandchild into the world! Latest report from expectant Dad is that all is well but wife is telling him to make the most of this child because there won’t EVER be another one!

Amazed myself by getting the cricket clue remarkably quickly and will go with the flow by nominating 4d as clue of the day.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD – especially for the 10a pic. The view may change in the not too distant future as the Welsh Assembly have more or less agreed to put in a third crossing to the island to relieve the ‘congestion’ that can occur on the other two bridges. Said congestion can sometimes result in a ten minute delay for motorists – I can only conclude that none of them has ever had to deal with city traffic!

Posted June 24, 2017 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Another granny in the making, so much excitement! Please make sure you are prepared to send pics.

• mcmillibar
      Posted June 24, 2017 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on a safe delivery Jane. You must be thrilled.

• jane
        Posted June 24, 2017 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your kind comment but I’m still waiting for news!

• Una
      Posted June 24, 2017 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Congratulations in advance.As regards never having another one , I think we all said that at the time.Still, why hasn’t nature evolved a zip ?

18. john middleton
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Great clip, Shane Warne v Mike Gatting played it again
    and again.

19. Posted June 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Taking a short break from being 1a to leave a quick comment. Particularly Liked 10a (mainly post hints, for the Jane connection) and the multi-word answers, with 12d favourite.

Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

20. Weekendwanda
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Great fun. 11a and 4d my favourites. Needed help with the parsing of 10a but apart from that pretty straightforward. Second favourite this week. Thursday’s Mister Ron was my absolute favourite – especially the Russian Mint. Best regards to BD and all.

Posted June 24, 2017 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

l was just going to seek assistance with 19d – the only one left, at which l’ve been staring blankly for some time – when the penny dropped! Overall, 2*/3.5*, and 15d was my favourite. Thanks to the setter, and to BD. Hard luck Lions – you lived with the ABs for a while, but when you started throwing it about to catch up there was only going to be one result.

22. Jon_S
    Posted June 24, 2017 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

As easy as the Saturday puzzle gets, with the SW quarter last to fall. An enjoyable bit of light relief.

Posted June 24, 2017 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle . Short and sweet , though the bottom left hand corner did put up a bit of a fight.
    Thanks to the setter and BD.

Posted June 25, 2017 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I am over 24 hours late to get round to this one. It didn’t take long but it was certainly enjoyable.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.