Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs on a cloudy, slightly damp Friday.

For some reason the puzzles website started the day listing this as DT 32455, rather than the 28413 which it ought to be. The paper version is correct, and the website was corrected this morning. But whatever its number, it didn’t detain me very long, as gentle Giovanni seems to have returned (though 18a may not be a gimme for those who didn’t toil through a lot of medieval French in their student days).

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ANSWER buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a           Ref’s glared, out to show a sort of pride (4-6)
SELF-REGARD – Anagram (out) of REF’S GLARED

6a           Almost disdain an incentive (4)
SPUR – Remove the final letter from a word meaning ‘disdain’ or ‘reject’.

9a           Gate at social function letting number in (10)
ATTENDANCE – ‘Gate’ here is the number of people attending an event. AT (from the clue) and a social function, placed either side of a cardinal number.

10a         Soon to get a refusal from Paris? (4)
ANON – A (from the clue) followed by the French for ‘no’.

13a         Deceived daughter escaped cunningly (7)
DELUDED Daughter followed by ‘escaped cunningly’.

15a         US author in nasty situation meeting our Queen (6)
HELLER – The author of Catch-22 is made up of a place we really don’t want to end up in followed by the usual letters for our Queen.

Image result for joseph heller

16a         Show company beginning to move after rest (6)
SITCOM – A rest (where you stop standing up) followed by an abbreviation for COmpany and the first letter of Move.

17a         Ill health’s so sad, invalid being extremely ancient (2,3,2,3,5)
AS OLD AS THE HILLS – Anagram (invalid) of ILL HEALTH’S SO SAD.

18a         Old knight and fighting men about to disembark (6)
ROLAND – Reverse (about) the acronym for soldiers who are not officers, then add ‘disembark’, and you get one of Charlemagne’s knights who died in battle with the Moors at Roncesvalles in the chanson de geste named for him.

Image result for chanson roland oliphant

20a         Awful blunder, side having dropped off package (6)
BUNDLE – Remove the last letter (side dropped off) from BLUNDE(r), then make an anagram (awful) of it.

21a         Some French group eating first bit of rice pudding? (7)
DESSERT – The French partitive article for ‘some’ followed by a group of people with the first letter of Rice inserted.

22a         About time to shut up (4)
CAGE – The Latin abbreviation for about or approximately followed by a long period of time.

25a         I urge mater to sort out Daisy maybe (10)
MARGUERITE – Anagram (to sort out) of I URGE MATER.

Image result for marguerite flower

26a         Piece of wood in panel at home (4)
LATH – Hidden in the clue.

27a         Work with newspaper folk I have found to be burdensome (10)
OPPRESSIVE – Put together the Latin abbreviation for a (musical) work, the generic term for people working in newspapers, and the shortened form of ‘I have’.

1d           Close off an animal (4)
SEAL – Double definition, the second being an aquatic mammal.

Image result for fur seal

2d           Departed well into the night (4)
LATE – Double definition, the first being a synonym of departed or deceased.

3d           One on errand for a strip of cloth (6)
RUNNER – And yet another double definition. The second is the strip of cloth my grandmother used to put on the sideboard to protect the polished surface from being scratched.

4d           What could upset gut as a rule — grand stuff full of sweetness (10,5)
GRANULATED SUGAR – Anagram (could upset) of GUT AS A RULE GRAND.

5d           Officer ultimately in charge of the fellow’s wealth (6)
RICHES – Put together the last letter (ultimately) of officeR, the abbreviation for ‘in charge’, and the shortened form of ‘the fellow is’.

7d           Dispel a pain with a cold drink (4,6)
PINA COLADA – Anagram (dispel) of A PAIN and A COLD.

8d           See me starring with a whip? (10)
RINGMASTER – A rather nice all-in-one clue. Anagram (with a whip) of ME STARRING.

11d         The Conservative in a court case full of drama (10)
THEATRICAL – THE (from the clue), then A (from the clue) and a court action wrapped around Conservative.

12d         Female toilets please greatly with energy-saving form of illumination (10)
FLOODLIGHT – Put together Female, another word for the toilets, and another word for ‘please greatly’ with the E removed (energy-saving).

13d         What may be demanded when maiden leaves, going nowhere (4-3)
DEAD-END – Anagram (what may be) of DE(m)ANDED with the cricket abbreviation for a maiden removed.

14d         This person had set up round of drinks to get deal (4,3)
DISH OUT – Reverse (set up) the shortened form of ‘this person had’, then add a round of drinks (as in ‘It’s my —–‘).

19d         Leave in the morning quietly after month (6)
DECAMP – Put together an abbreviation for one of the months of the year, the Latin abbreviation for ‘in the morning’, and the musical symbol for ‘quietly’.

20d         Instructions for what to wear when it’s too hot for long johns? (6)
BRIEFS – These instructions to counsel could also be a lighter from of underwear.

23d         One not very bright turned up in a sort of skirt (4)
MIDI – The Roman numeral for one followed by ‘not very bright’ (used frequently in Kath’s comments!). Reverse the lot, and you get a skirt length.

24d         Lot heard making summer celebration (4)
FETE – The Anglicised pronunciation of this French word for a celebration makes it a homophone of ‘lot’ or ‘destiny.

The Quick Crossword pun CELLAR + FAIN = CELLOPHANE

Posted April 28, 2017 at 11:10 am | Permalink | Reply

1*/2.5*. I found this very straightforward and reasonably enjoyable. My only hold up was with 11d trying to think of a synonym for “the” which would fit the pattern “?M?” having initially confidently entered “Miller” for 15a on the basis that “mill” can mean a nasty experience as in “to be put through the mill”.

I would have selected 12d as my favourite except that the wordplay leads to an unwanted “s” in the middle of the answer. “Female toilet please greatly …” works but that would wreck the surface.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

2. pete
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 11:38 am | Permalink | Reply

This took me a lot longer than it should have. When I did eventually finish it, I was puzzled as to why i struggled, as there wasnt really anything too difficult. Agree about 12a and the unwanted s. No real favourites. 3*/2* Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

3. Toadson
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 11:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Quite enjoyed this. Didn’t know ‘Roland’ but it had to be. Thanks to all.

4. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t find this as easy as yesterday, yet RD was the reverse. It may well be connected with “wavelength” but probably also quite a bit with how the 4ins. between the ears is functioning too. After the NW corner I just couldn’t get into it. Second sitting went better but slow.
    Not very literate but “Catch 22” cropped up in the paper yesterday
    LOI & COTD for me was 8d.
    Thanks to Giovanni for what I found a tough workout and DT for the review.

5. Senf
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 12:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Giovanni in a very benevolent frame of mind, with what I thought was quite a high anagram count (8/30) – almost a R&W for me – */***. Perhaps I was assisted by the brain food supplied by the St Jame’s Gate Brewery in Dublin that I consumed yesterday.

Three candidates for favourite – 27a, 11d, and 20d; and the winner is 27a.

Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

6. jane
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 12:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

The Don is invariably fair with his wordplay so the two I would have needed to check (15&18a) went in without any hesitation.
    Have to confess to having a couple of stabs at spelling 25a – why, for goodness sake!
    Occurred to me that there were two possible answers for 20a depending upon which side you chose to drop.

23d gets a mention for Kath’s sake and 27a because I think it will raise a chortle from TS, but my podium places went to 4,8 &11d plus 12d despite the excess ‘S’.

Thanks to DG and also to DT for the words and music.

• Mcmillibar
      Posted April 28, 2017 at 3:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

I tried knocking off the other end but failed to find a package?

• jane
        Posted April 28, 2017 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

I took the ‘sides’ as L(eft) and R(ight). Take the ‘right’ away and the anagram makes the answer we needed – take the ‘left’ away and the anagram makes ‘burden’ which seems OK to me although perhaps not quite as precise.

• Mcmillibar
          Posted April 30, 2017 at 1:28 am | Permalink | Reply

Ahh, I see now. I took the sides as literal. You are operating above my level there. thanks.

7. happy days
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 12:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Too many long anagrams for me. Giovanni’s not the only setter who’s been resorting to them a lot recently. I think they spoil puzzles.Too mechanical, somehow

Posted April 28, 2017 at 1:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

More than a 1* difficulty for me and quite enjoyable – the pesky four letter answers held me up even though they weren’t very tricky.
    Why on earth was 2d my last answer?
    Don’t even start me on 23d – I was so ‘not very bright’ in that way that I spent ages trying to justify ‘mini’.
    I always get ‘had’ by the 9a ‘gate’ with that meaning.
    I was slow with the ‘daisy’ mainly because I never think of them as ‘daisies’ even though I know they are – started thinking about ‘cows’.
    13a gave me ‘crickety’ blindness even though it wasn’t.
    I liked the two long anagrams and 11 and 12d.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.

9. Michael
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

When I was a wage slave I used to travel up to Holborn on the tube, Catch 22 was the only book that had me laughing out loud in a crowded tube train – Yossarian, Major Major and co – priceless! On the strength of Catch 22 I read ‘Something happened’ by Joseph Heller – unfortunately nothing happened and it was a massive let down.

Unlike this puzzle which was very enjoyable – just the right degree of difficulty and loads of anagrams – right up my street!

10. dutch
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Gentle Don today.

Favourite is 14d, my last one in. I also liked 8d and 13d

Many thanks DT & Giovanni

11. Gwizz
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 2:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, gentle is the word but none the worse for it. A pleasant solve with no real hiccups.
    Favourite clue was 21a and overall 2/3*.
    Thanks to the Don, and to DT for his review.

12. Young Salopian
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unusually I am at odds with the majority of my fellow commenters as I struggled to get into the rhythm of this one. It is probably that wavelength thing that is often mentioned. Still enjoyable though, with 14d as my favourite and 3*/3* overall.

Thanks as always to The Don and to DT.

13. Angellov
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

That was great in spite of all those anagrams. South easier than the North. Same thought re “s” in 12d. Laboured a bit to justify 5d as was presuming ‘his’ rather than ‘he’s’. Fav 20d with 14d running up. Thanks Giovanni and DT.

14. Mcmillibar
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

**/*** for this solver. 12d being today’s twinkler – (I think ‘loo’ works for toilets, RD). Thanks to The Don and The Deep.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 28, 2017 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

We’ll have to beg to differ on this one, Mcmillibar. A loo is very much a singular toilet or lavatory.

P.S. I haven’t got my glasses on so I apologise if I have put the wrong number of “i”s and “l”s in your name.

• Jose
        Posted April 29, 2017 at 9:56 am | Permalink | Reply

12d is fine by me. Loo is a general term for toilet or toilets. You might say: “I just nipping to the loo”, even though there are 10 toilets in there.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 29, 2017 at 11:14 am | Permalink | Reply

You and I often seem to disagree and this is no exception :wink:

I might say “I’m just nipping to the loo” or “I’m just nipping to the toilet” but I would never say “I’m just nipping to the toilets”.

It would be boring if we all agreed with each other all the time. :smile:

• Jose
            Posted May 2, 2017 at 11:28 am | Permalink | Reply

I wouldn’t call it “disagreeing” exactly, but I tend to read some of these clues in a more subjective and less pedantic way – they’re not all 100% objective. For example in a pub, you might say in casual conversation: “Bob’s painting the ceiling in the loo” or: “Bob’s in the toilets painting the ceiling”. So the loo or toilets can be a “room”. I’m just a humble seeker of the truth – but sometimes there isn’t a truth that works for everybody. But it’s good to discuss these things in a friendly way, isn’t it? :-)

• Mcmillibar
        Posted April 30, 2017 at 1:35 am | Permalink | Reply

Agreed – about the disagreeing, I mean. I am often surprised at the clues People choose for their favourites. You got the name quite correct (it’s a silly name and I’d quite like to change it to Hector Pascal but I won’t.

15. Prakash Ratan
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Easier than yesterday but I am with Kath on rating it more difficult than*

16. silvanus
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t think I can recall a gentler Friday backpager, it had several nice Rufusesque touches I thought, including the relatively high anagram count.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT, and a good weekend to all.

By my reckoning, puzzle 32,455 should appear sometime around 2030 or 2031, I hope most of us will still be around then!

17. Posted April 28, 2017 at 4:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not a read and write for me but gently enjoyable.

(I am definitely having another slow day. Would you believe my last one in was 1d?)

I only know Roland from a previous crossword, and nearly forgot him. He still beat the seal though … :roll:

22a is the kind of clue I’d show to a beginner to demonstrate the beauty of cryptics and try and get them hooked.

Quite a few contenders for favourite today, but I can’t decide on one to award the honour to.

Thanks to Giovanni (despite him having failed to reassure us on Tuesday that he’s not an MCP!) and to Deep Threat.

Posted April 28, 2017 at 5:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree that this was Giovanni in a benign mood.
    Quite a few to like, I remember 18a from the song, and love 25a, so pretty. I also liked 17a, but I think 14d is fave.
    Thanks to Giovanni, also to Deep Threat for his hints and pics.

Posted April 28, 2017 at 5:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

The online number for this puzzle was corrected at 9.30ish this morning so it is really just 28413 now

Posted April 28, 2017 at 5:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very pleasant.
    Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

21. Jaylegs
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 5:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Phew! I found this quite tricky 😳 ***/*** but on completion cannot think why 🤔 Thanks for another lovely puzzle from Giovanni and for the hints from DT 🤗 Must confess to feeling 17a Favourites are are 17 & 20d 😄

22. KiwiColin
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 7:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

I had not even noticed the wrong number on the top of the puzzle. The marine animal at 1d must have been hiding behind an ice flow as it took me ages to find and was my last one in. A pleasant solve for me.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT.

• KiwiColin
      Posted April 28, 2017 at 9:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have just noticed that I wrote flow when I meant to write floe. :oops:

23. Jon_S
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 7:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

A definite * for difficulty, if with a little hold-up at the close while I tried to sort out the anagram for 25ac. That U had to go somewhere, but where? :-)

Posted April 28, 2017 at 7:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quiet here today.
    I confess that the Quickie caused trouble.
    I usually only have a go at it when I’m doing the hints partly because I like to know if we can expect a good cryptic crossword but also because of the pun.
    The last three bits of the top right corner took me for ever. Oh dear, and – very dim.

Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

1*/3*, and 15a my favourite clue – not because it’s particularly clever but because Catch-22 is still one of the best novels I’ve ever read. Thanks to the Don, and to DT.

26. Hoofityoudonkey
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Finished but needed a couple of hints, I’m on such a dreadful run at the moment, it felt like a success.
    I was confused by 12d, surely “toilets” = “loos” not “loo”. Doubtless someone will put me straight.
    After a shocking week, I am hoping for a big improvement next week.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree with you about 12d, HIYD. “Toilets” = “loos” not “loo”. See my comment #1 above.

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry RD simultaneous post below.

27. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hoofs,
    See RD at post #1 & #14

Read your post about leaving your brain in Lewes.
    Doesn’t have quite the same ring as “I left my heart in San Francisco”.

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted April 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

At least i have a nose like Tony Bennett!!

28. BusyLizzie
    Posted April 28, 2017 at 10:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable and filled in nicely at two,separate sittings. But medieval French is definitely missing from my education, so never heard of Roland. Rest was there for the solving. Thanks to Giovanni and Deep Threat. Favorite was 17a.

29. Paso Doble
    Posted April 29, 2017 at 12:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable but unusually straightforward for the Don.
    Thanks to Deep Threat for the blog.

30. Ray S
    Posted April 29, 2017 at 9:08 am | Permalink | Reply

Gentle puzzle but quite good fun. 1*/3*. In fact, the Toughie took me longer! Maybe 11d and 20d were my favourites.