Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs on a cold, grey day.

I fairly rattled through today’s Giovanni, with nothing causing any hold-up.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined. The answers are hidden under the ‘Click here!’ buttons, so don’t click if you don’t want to see them.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a           Hit hard, society suffering setback (4)
COSH – Put together Hard and an abbreviation for society, then reverse (suffering setback) the lot.

3a           Lusty older bod written about by journalist (3-7)
RED-BLOODED – Anagram (written about) of OLDER BOD, followed by the usual crossword journalist.

9a           See work as something endlessly coming around? (4)
LOOP – A command to see or behold followed by the Latin abbreviation for a (musical) work.

10a         Given initial publicity, more than one horrible female advances (10)
PROGRESSES – The two-letter acronym for publicity work, followed by the plural of some monstrous females.

11a         In autumn restaurant won’t have cold Middle Eastern dish (7)
FALAFEL – Start with what our transatlantic cousins call the autumn, then insert a (greasy spoon?) restaurant with its initial Cold removed

Image result for falafel

13a         Emergency communication system abused in hotel (3,4)
HOT LINE – Anagram (abused) of IN HOTEL.

14a         Agree, once pupils have been lined up? (3,3,2,3)
SEE EYE TO EYE – The pupils in question are those in your head. If you put them on the same level as those belonging to someone else you would be doing what the answer describes.

18a         Wrong conclusion? Run question a different way (3,8)
NON SEQUITUR – Anagram (a different way) of RUN QUESTION.

21a         Sneeze being audible in dispute (2,5)
AT ISSUE – This sounds like the noise of a sneeze.

22a         Path taken by one in British company aircraft (7)
BIPLANE – A British energy company known by its two initials, wrapped around the Roman numeral for one, then followed by a path or road.

Image result for biplane ww1

23a         Relations hurried back with food supplies maybe (10)
NARRATIONS – These are relations of a story. Reverse (back) a word for hurried, then add some food issued to the troops.

24a         Villain, one given a bash (4)
IAGO – The Roman numeral for one followed by A (from the clue) and a bash or attempt, giving us a Shakespearean villain.

Image result for Iago

25a         Good person with heart picking up speed as planner (10)
STRATEGIST – The abbreviation for a good or holy person, and the heart or core of an argument, placed either side of a word for speed (as in ‘at a —- of knots’).

26a         It’s in another environment? Yes and no! (4)
HERE – The answer is hidden in the clue. ‘Yes’ because it is literally true; ‘No’ because the surface meaning is the opposite.

1d           One aloof army officer meets beauty, female to be hugged (4,4)
COLD FISH – The abbreviated rank of a senior regimental officer, followed by a somewhat dated term for a beautiful woman wrapped around Female.

Image result for cold fish

2d           Undertake to get some lamb from the butcher? (8)
SHOULDER – Double definition: to take on a burden; or a joint of lamb.

4d           Register name to participate in learning, having turned up (5)
ENROL – Start with a word for learning, especially the sort handed down orally from generation to generation, wrapped around Name, then reverse the lot.

5d           VIP that would do for many a mouse? (3,6)
BIG CHEESE – An informal term for an important person which is also literally a large item of the food traditionally beloved of mice.

Image result for big cheese

6d           Past the difficulty, having negotiated traffic controller? (4,3,4)
OVER THE HUMP – A figurative expression which literally describes the act of crossing one of the so-called traffic-calming devices which litter the roads where I live, and are no fun at all to tow a caravan over.

7d           Name of film actor with evidence of domestic neglect at home? (6)
DUSTIN – The first name of a film actor is made up of what covers unswept surfaces and a word for ‘at home’.

Image result for dustin hoffman

8d           Notice erected on building that’s wrecked (6)
DASHED – Reverse (erected, in a Down clue) a publicity notice, then add a garden building.

12d         Get to taxi before this promising beginning? (6,5)
FLYING START – ‘Taxi’ here is what an aircraft does when it is on the ground and heading to the runway to make what might be the answer.

15d         Offering dinner, get cooking (9)
TENDERING – Anagram (cooking) of DINNER GET.

16d         Chemical condition limits ability to discern sounds (8)
STEARATE – A condition of matter wrapped around the organ used to discern sounds.

17d         Genuine sweetheart to regret nothing after termination of engagement (4,4)
TRUE LOVE – Put together the last letter (termination) of engagemenT, ‘to regret’ and the term used in tennis for a nothing score.

19d         Jack joins members of the family for trips (6)
JAUNTS – The abbreviation on a playing card for the Jack, followed by some female relatives.

20d         One offering reflections in newspaper (6)
MIRROR – Double definition, the second being a (shortened) tabloid newspaper title.

22d         Something extra that’s good for France and America (5)
BONUS – The French word for ‘good’ followed by an abbreviation for the United States.

The Quick Crossword pun DANE + ERRS + HURRY = DAY NURSERY

1. MalcolmR
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink

A regular ***/*** Friday for me.

Got seriously held up in the NW corner, convinced that 2d was an anagram (butcher), and the checking letters kept supporting that theory!

Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

2. Graham
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Two **/*** territory for me, never heard of 11A but easy enough to parse, liked 7D & 1D. Many thanks to the setter & DT for usual top class review, keep nice & warm everybody for the weekend.🔥⛄️⛄️

3. Senf
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink

**/*** – reasonably straightforward and very enjoyable, completed at a fast canter. There were a few groans when the pennies dropped on 22a and 24a and the ever popular four letter word for learning in 4d.

Not quite sure about 16d, I am assuming that ‘limits’ is a deletion indicator for a word that that is the ability to discern sounds that results in the organ used for the same.

While on-line submission did show that I had the villain in 24a correct. I did Google him afterwards for ‘educational’ purposes.

Favourite 1d, a good lego clue.

Thanks to The Don and DT.

• Dutch
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:33 am | Permalink

limits as in contains: ‘condition’ contains ‘ability to discern sounds’ – when you have a good ability to discern sounds, you have a good ***

• Senf
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dutch, I had forgotten the use of the name of the organ as the ability to discern sounds.

4. jane
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Giovanni continues his welcome run of most enjoyable Friday crosswords – long may it continue.
    Just one ‘look up’ necessary for 16d – doubtless plenty of others had no problem with that one.

Top three for me were 14&21a plus 6d.

Many thanks to DG and to DT – rather enjoyed the 19d trip!

Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:33 am | Permalink

2*/3*. I agree with Jane’s comments about the very welcome trend of enjoyable puzzles on a Friday and her choice of the top three clues.

24a was my last one in as it took me a while to twig that we needed to find a specific baddy and not simply a synonym for villain.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT.

6. Dutch
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I found this enjoyable as well. Favourites were 13a, 14a, 15d, 16d (where the definition is broad but as always fairly clued and i like ‘chemical condition’)

Many thanks Giovanni and DT

7. pete
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I found most of this fairly plain sailing until I got to the SE corner, which completely foxed me. I really need to brush up on Latin phrases, they always stump me, couldnt work out 16d either. Favourites were 14a & 21a. 3*/3* Many thanks to Giovanni and DT.

8. Spook
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Nice Friday puzzle I to got held up in NW corner put in “club” which seemed reasonable, but then struggled with 2d I thought anagram then thought “embalmer” don’t know why. Finally sorted when Mrs Spook solved 2d.
    Where would we be without them.
    Thanks to Derp Threat and the Don

9. Miffypops
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Another walk in the park. Either The Daily Telegraph has given up making the puzzles harder as the week progresses or my solving abilities have improved I suspect the latter. I always enjoy DTs musical interludes (even Avec Mon Sabots from a few weeks ago) I wonder what i would make of his record collection. Ta as usual to all. See you on monday. Come on England.

10. Beaver
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Not heard of 11a but followed the logical cluing and ‘voila’, glad 18a was an anagram-should Latin/legal sayings be part of crosswords? probably not in my opinion-well not on the back page, maybe ok in the toughie
    Started slowly in the north west,as is my want then things became straight forward and I am going for a **/***.
    Our usual villain made an appearance in 24a- is there another out there somewhere ?
    Thanks to DT for the pics, ready for the battle of Cardiff .

• BobH
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

It may be a Latin phrase but it is in common use especially when parsing English sentences. I can’t think of a sensible way of staying it succinctly in English. I do agree though about the general use of Latin when it’s obscure

• Stanleysteamer
        Posted February 12, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

literally, “something that does not follow”. I used to use it a lot in essay marking when my students wrote a specious (or non-existent) argument. (Or a UCAS personal statement!). If their 2 and 2 did not make 4 then they got the message without it appearing “harsh”, as the common parlance now has it. Perhaps teachers and lecturers should use a bit more Latin. How about “non compos mentis”!!!!! That really is harsh in translation!

• Stanleysteamer
        Posted February 12, 2017 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

“invalid argument” is about as succinct as I can think of>

11. Angellov
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you Giovanni, that was good fun. Can’t single out a Fav from 14a, 21a, 6d, 17d and 7d (when the penny dropped). Like Pete I too needed a couple of nudges in the SE corner mainly due to not being familiar with 16d. Enjoyed toe-tapping to the Irish illustration for 19d. Thanks also to DT. A delightful way to kick off the weekend.👍

Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I agree with the rest of you – fairly straightforward and very enjoyable – none of my usual ‘Friday trouble’ today.
    I’ve never heard of 16d so had to check that one and it took me a little while to come up with the right ‘Jack’ in 19d.
    17d was my last one in but I don’t know why – something had to be.
    I liked 3 and 11a (very yummy but can’t spell it) and 2 and 6d. My favourite was 21a.
    With thanks to Giovanni and DT.

Just in case anyone was listening to the Radio 4 Today programme this morning the young female scientist who was interviewed just before 9.00 was our Elder Lamb. She leads a research group and has just won a massive, and I mean really massive, grant from CRUK. Please forgive the bragging but we’re busting with pride.

• Dutch
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Great stuff – I’m sure she deserves it and her work will be valuable

• Miffypops
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Well done to Pet lamb Kath and well done to you and Chris too

• Gazza
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Just listened to the interview on iPlayer – you’re right to be very proud, Kath.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

What Gazza said – she does sound like you. A :rose: for her

If anyone else wants to listen – you need to go to 2hrs 55 mins into the broadcast

• mcmillibar
          Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Going right there.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Hey, that’s great, Kath! Congratulations all round.

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Agree with above, hope the research produces results that benefit all and then even greater recognition for EL. Difference between understandable pride and “bragging” so no need to apologise.

• jane
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

You’re more than entitled to brag, Kath. She’s done an exceptional job and deserves every accolade that comes her way.
      Also – nothing beats the feeling of pride when ‘one of your own’ achieves a huge success.

• Senf
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Ditto to all the above. As someone who had a brief encounter with the Big C and came out ahead, but lost both parents and a brother to it, I applaud any and all efforts to pursue a path to eradication. Keep up the good work Dr Josephine.

As Cryptic Sue said go to 2 hrs 55 mins in the following replay of the programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08fg3m9

• Angellov
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

💐 💐 Kath, Many congratulations your Dr. Elder Lamb and her team on this fantastic award and very best wishes for a successful project. Felicitations also to the justly proud parents. 💐 💐

• Ora Meringue
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Many congratulations to you and the Elder Lamb. Can see that you would be busting with pride…as I would be in your shoes.
      More power to her elbow!

• Spook
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Many congratulations I had a brush with the dreaded big C many years ago and it took my first wife.
      I think bragging rights are well in order. We must try to beat this menace once and for all.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks SO much all of you.
      She knew last summer that, out of over 250 bids, she and her group were down to the last nine. She was interviewed last September and, having heard nothing for several weeks, assumed that they hadn’t got anywhere. She was finally told some time in November that they were one of the four groups who had won. It’s been very hard for her, and us, not to tell people until now.

• Stanleysteamer
        Posted February 12, 2017 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Having had a meningioma treated at the Sheffield Hallam hospital by their fantastic team, and my wife having had two ops for breast cancer, I underline all the positive comments made so far. Fantastic work and lets see if we can beat this horrible disease.

• mcmillibar
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Just great, Kath! Well done to Lamb whose tail must be a-wag and well done to you for producing her.

• Woolgatherer
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

That sounds an exciting (and amazingly complex) project. You have every right to be very proud indeed Kath – thanks for sharing the good news!
      There is bit more information at
      should anyone else wonder exactly what the team are planning.

• Senf
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the link Woolgatherer, I can see why Kath is very justifiably proud of her Elder Lamb.

• Angellov
        Posted February 11, 2017 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thanks Woolgatherer. Good to see more detail. Dr. EL and her team certainly have undertaken a huge project and so many hopes rest on their shoulders.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Of course you’re bursting with pride, what a star!

• Sheffieldsy
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Well done Kath and Josephine. It’s very obvious you have every right to burst, nay explode, with pride. Nice to see she spent time at both Sheffield universities!

• silvanus
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

May I add my congratulations too. Well done indeed.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to the whole Kath team and especially to Jose. It is just so amazing and thanks for letting us all share your joy Kath.

13. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Mostly straightforward but stupid mistake spelling 18a meant 16d took ages & was LOI. Didn’t like 7d too much & no stand-outs.
    Thanks to Giovanni & DT for hints, not needed today.
    Hope Ref. has a good game tomorrow: would not like England to have an excuse.
    Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, roof closed or not, is as great as call to arms as there is, may it work tomorrow.

• Senf
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Hmm – the referee is Jérôme Garcès from France. Hope he does not bear any grudges from last Saturday’s Twickenham result.

• Ora Meringue
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

A Frenchman bearing a grudge against the English?
        Surely not!

Good excuse for them if it all goes pear-shaped tomorrow, though…….

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

At least it can’t be Wayne Barnes.

14. Ora Meringue
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Defeated by the villain at 24a and spent a while working out 16d….otherwise a very enjoyable puzzle today.

Thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for the review.

15. Giovanni
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

If we are boasting of our ‘lambs’, my daughter Gilly Greenslade is series producer for HOSPITAL on BBC2

• stanXYZ
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Is that why you presented us with a clue that a nurse is a bed-maker?

Ward nurse perhaps bringing glass, interrupted by doctor turning up (8)

Some people were not amused!

• Giovanni
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

No indeed, and I am sorry if this is a repeated rather unfair dig! I have every respect for all NHS workers, my wife as an NHS biochemist included. The point was that the letters of BEDMAKER suggested MD rev in beaker, so to use that idea I needed to find a context for the definition to tie in with that. I am well aware that bed-making is only a tiny part of a ward nurse’s job, but it is part of that job (when I was last in hospital anyway) and so the definition part of the clue was perfectly accurate and made for a sensible surface reading for the whole clue. There was no reason whatever for anyone to get touchy about this. I never would want to portray a nurse as a mere bed-maker, but it will be a sad day when a nurse regards bed-making as a menial job beneth their dignity. I am even a bed-maker myself, you know! Do watch HOSPITAL– my daughter’s work is giving a great insight for some into the currect crisis in hospital management. DG

• Stanleysteamer
          Posted February 12, 2017 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

“nursing auxiliary” maybe, instead of ward nurse? Would still parse wouldn’t it? I agree that “chamber maid” would be inappropriate unless doctor could be replaced with “boss” or something equivalent. (No need for “turning up”). I agree about all health workers. My mother, a doctor, once really got on her high horse when I, as a rather ignorant child, dared to say “but she’s only a nurse”!

16. LeDuc
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hello all! New contributor to this great site and new-ish to the Telegraph crossword. Very ‘hit and miss’ at the moment but some days are better than others! Completed all but five clues today and would have done better other than entering 1a as ‘club’ (hit hard, society!) which threw me out on 2d. Parsing is a problem at the moment! Big thank you to all who run and contribute to this marvellous site!

Posted February 10, 2017 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog and the wonderful word of the DT cryptic crossword.

Keep looking at all the hints and explanations and how they relate to the clue and you’ll find parsing will become much clearer.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the thanks. That is all I need to keep going for a few more weeks. Welcome to the blog/madhouse

• mcmillibar
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Hello LeDuc. You have found one of the world’s most civilised sites. Fun too.

• Stanleysteamer
      Posted February 12, 2017 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I too suffered with one down, not helped by “shoulder” being a cut of meat NOT only obtainable from lamb, (see beef, pork, mutton). “Undertake to get some meat from the butcher’s.” would have been adequate.

I’ve been doing the Telegraph crossword on and off for the past 44 years, and some days I really have trouble! When I started there were no electronic aids, all I could use was a dictionary and I vividly recall my delight the first time I finished one. (I am also absolutely rubbish at anagrams). Keep it up, you never know, it might fight off Alzheimer’s!

Best of luck.

J

17. Woolgatherer
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I seemed more on Giovanni’s wavelength today. I was only annoyed with myself for needing electronic help to do 2d which was so obvious – once I’d stopped trying to solve a non-existent anagram and had actually done it!
    Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

18. mcmillibar
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Killed this one off over a pot of black coffee – a very large pot – Some great clues. 21a and 18a contending for the gold medal, Silver to 23a. Thanks to the Don for a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle (none of those virtually unsolvable obscurities of old which, whilst they educate, take away a bit from the fun). Thanks to DT who always grades lower than I find on the easy/hard scale – I gave this one a good **.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this. Long may they last.
    I had to check the spelling of 18a, i also used gizmo to get 16d, and I needed the hints to know why 1a was what it was.
    I rather liked 19d, so that’s my fave.
    Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat.

20. Vancouverbc
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Needed a lot of electronic help to get 16d and to confirm 24a. I thought 7d was a tad contrived. Neverthless very enjoyable so thanks to Giovanni and to DT for the review. Congrats to Kath as well – great news.

21. Sheffieldsy
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

This was a solo effort today as I’m in Wales visiting my 95-year-old mum. I will be back in Sheffield, England tomorrow afternoon to watch the rugby on TV and will not be supporting the Welsh!

1.5*/3*. Seems to be becoming a regular Friday score. Echo my old friend Vancouverbc’s comment on 7d, though; it could have been a much better clue. My favourite was 14a with 24a not far behind.

Thanks to DT, Giovanni and Eddie Jones.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Trickier than * for me, at least a ** due to understanding 26a.
    No real problems with the rest.
    Thx to all

23. silvanus
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Extremely enjoyable, like Jane I just needed to double-check 16d having only a vague recollection of it cropping up before.

My two ticked clues were 11a and 18a.

Many thanks to Giovanni and to DT, and a good weekend to all.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

We spent pretty much the same time on this one as we usually do on a Friday so in the Goldilocks zone for difficulty for us. All well clued and a pleasure to solve.
    Thanks (and congratulations to your daughter) Giovanni and to DT.

25. Aunty Marge
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

All was going swimmingly (or not in the case of 1D) till the last four clues to go in – took forever and in the end had to come for assistance (muchos gracias). 2d was the last to go in but am now left sort of wondering why it took so long to get it.

Very frustrating ….

18a and 21a were two of the clues i liked the most

26. Gwizz
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I liked today’s offering. There were some very good clues to consider such as 3a, 13d and my favourite which is 21a. Excellent stuff.
    2/3.5* overall.
    Thanks to the Don and also to DT for his review.
    Wow! Kath, I am not surprised you are so chuffed with your Elder Lamb. Absolutely wonderful.

27. Jon_S
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

** for difficulty for me, but only just, and thoroughly enjoyable. Last in 2d.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Gentle, but amusing: 1*/3.5*. No problems except 16d (I’m no chemist) but the answer was pretty obvious from the clue and crossers. 24a was my favourite – I’m a sucker for literary allusions. Thanks to the Don, and to DT.

Posted February 10, 2017 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Over the pimp was my first thought in 6d until I managed to spell 18a correctly.
    Last one in was 16d which was new to me.
    Favourite clue 4d.
    Favourite hint 14a. Pupils in your head. Should write a song about that.
    Thanks to the Don and to DT.

• Stanleysteamer
      Posted February 12, 2017 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

“past the post”, “over the hill” all made sort of sense for the synonym, but not with the traffic controller. Of course I fell into the trap of thinking of an air traffic controller, or PC on point duty, (how old am I?!) But PIMP, where on earth did you get that one from? This post really made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

30. RayS
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable, but not too much trouble. 2*/4* for me. I liked 11a and 18a, but 21a made me laugh.

31. Paso Doble
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle, good clues and thanks to The Don and Deep Threat.

32. Tstrummer
    Posted February 11, 2017 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Enjoyable romp completed all but one (16d) on the first pass. Wearing it’s heart upon its sleeve is 24a – always good to see him again. Thanks to the Don and DT. 1*/3*
    And congratulations to all those on the blog whose children make them proud, especially Kath and Signor Giovani.

33. Weekendwanda
    Posted February 11, 2017 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Superb.

34. Weekendwanda
    Posted February 11, 2017 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Superb.

35. Jose
    Posted February 11, 2017 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Contrary to the 1* ratings above, I quite liked this one. It was tad tame by G’s standards but for me the second best of the week after Ray T’s. A reasonable challenge and enjoyable enough. 2.5*/3*.

36. Stanleysteamer
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

“Limerick thingy”? Please tell, I’d love to spot it too. I also know about the MAN from Devizes, as well as the man called Dave, (very apposite) and loads of others (sign of a misspent youth), but not the one from Leeds. The mind boggles!