Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good day from the heart of a dull and dreary downtown LI. It is wet cold and miserable outside but all is light and cheerful here inside our humble abode. It is double bubble today for those who might want it. The rookie puzzle was set by Miffypops and might provide some pleasant diversion.

Today’s puzzle took longer than usual to solve. 19d brought back a memory. 76 years ago Coventry suffered a blitz on the 14th November 1940. Coventry had been bombed many times before and its citizens were used to it. However this raid went on and on and on lasting for hours. My mother and grandmother stayed in the shelter waiting for the all clear siren. It did not sound. There was nothing left to sound it on.

I blogged the Jay puzzle on Wednesday last week. I apologise to all who were confused by my mixing up of Parsley and Parsnip. Dearie Dearie me.

Below are hints and tips to help you solve or understand today’s clues. The illustrations may or may not have any relevance to any particular clue. The answer to everything lies in Beer Bob Dylan and Sex. A subtle mix of all three will lead to great happiness.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    At last I have something for a salad (6)
ENDIVE: This salad ingredient which I have never tasted can be found by placing the final part of something before the shortened form of I have, the form that uses an apostrophe

4a    Two things aviators may do for finance (8)
BANKROLL: The two moves an aviator might do are thus: To tilt or cause to tilt sideways during a turn and (of a moving ship, aircraft, or vehicle) rock or oscillate around an axis parallel to the direction of motion. The two together mean to finance something

9a    Trojan bully (6)
HECTOR: a double definition. The second being to barrack or heckle.

10a    Cat-o’-nine-tails remarkably noise-less in ocean (8)
ATLANTIC: Anagram (remarkably) of CAT O NINE TAILS less the letters of the word NOISE

12a    Travel afield like hungry sheep? (4)
ROAM: sometimes I fail to see the relevance of parts of a clue. I do so here. To travel afield gets me to the answer which suits the checking letters but what a hungry sheep has to do with it is a mystery to me. Can you help?

13a    Transport vehicle used on road and railway (5)
CARRY: a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal-combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people is followed by the abbreviation for a railway. Why oh why did this simple and obvious clue become the second to last one in?

14a    One taking the lead in old Russia? (4)
IVAN: Take the letter that looks like the number one and add a noun meaning in the forefront to find the name of a terrible leader of olden day Russia

17a    Those having it won’t get far in Japan (1,3,2,6)
A YEN TO TRAVEL: A cryptic definition which describes the fact that a single unit of Japanese currency will not get one very far.

20a    All Greek name? Could be German (6,6)
ANGELA MERKEL: She is here She is there. She is every ******* where. There are fifteen pictures of this woman in today’s Daily Telegraph online galleries. Anagram (could be) of ALL GREEK NAME

23a    Employs you and me at certain points (4)
USES: Begin with a pronoun meaning myself and one or more others and add two points of the compass. Avoid the north west and you should be alright. Once solved a trip to the north west will be a delight.

24a    A sign Israel endlessly is in turmoil (5)
ARIES: Anagram (in turmoil) of ISREAL minus its last letter (endlessly)

25a    Smart boy that in France heads west (4)
ALEC: This boys name is associated with smartness in England. Reversed (heads west) it is French for that’s Ce la vie

28a    Bouquet I damaged in shop (8)
BOUTIQUE: Anagram (damaged) of BOUQUET I

29a    Coward’s sort of spirit (6)
BLITHE: This Coward is the playwright Noel. This spirit appears in the title of one of his plays

30a    Agree end will be terrible for traitor (8)
RENEGADE: Anagram (will be terrible) of AGREE END

31a    One’s first to take deliveries — and usually runs (6)
OPENER: One of the first two batsmen to take the crease at the beginning of an innings. The deliveries are balls bowled and runs are those scored by running from one wicket to another after striking the ball

1d    Late rising around this place — that’s heavenly! (8)
ETHEREAL: place the reversed (rising) letters of the word LATE around an adverb meaning in this place or position.

2d    Announced how innings was closed (8)
DECLARED: A double definition. The second referring to a cricketing innings

3d    Instrument that has appalling sound (4)
VIOL: Larger than a violin but smaller than a cello the name of this instrument is a homophone based upon the word vile

5d    One taking the part of the boss? (5-7)
ACTOR MANAGER: A cryptic definition of a thespians agent.

6d    Some dark, handsome ruler in the East (4)
KHAN: A hidden word. Hidden within the words of the clue

7d    Volume of tax held over by company starting with nothing (6)
OCTAVO: Reverse (held over) the letter that looks like a zero, a tax currently standing at 20% and the abbreviation for company to find this word for a book of a certain size

8d    Net effect of severe beating (6)
LACING: A devious double definition. The first being the making of a fine open fabric of cotton or silk, made by looping, twisting, or knitting thread in patterns and used especially for trimming garments. The second being much more obscure.

11d    Action station? (12)
BATTLEGROUND: A cryptic definition of the site of a major altercation between armies during a war.

15d    Fixes up the skunk’s defence (5)
STINK: A double definition with the first being reversed as indicated by the word up

16d    Yield to another’s wishes and delay (5)
DEFER: Another double definition which should not need any help

18d    Framework keels badly with weight attached (8)
SKELETON: Anagram (badly) of KEELS followed by (attached) an imperial weight of 20 hundredweights

19d    End of air raid makes everyone jump (3,5)
ALL CLEAR: the distinctive sound a siren makes at the end of an air raid (The air raid warning is a different sound) can de found by placing a word meaning everybody in total before a word meaning to successfully jump over a hurdle or fence.

21d    Tell off for being less sensitive? (6)
NUMBER: A double definition To tell is to count.

22d    Proceeds to answer (6)
RETURN: these proceeds are profits.

26d    Russian plane loaded with North Chinese pottery (4)
MING: this Chinese pottery can be found by placing the name of a small Russian jet fighter around the compass point for N(orth)

27d    It could retain hair or cut it off (4)
CLIP: A double definition of a device used to keep hair in place or to cut it off

Late on parade today. Sorry for the delay. [It paled into insignificance after today’s other events! BD]

The Quick Crossword pun: hole+sail=wholesale

1. John Rizkallah
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Re 12a: hungry = eating nothing!

Posted November 22, 2016 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Ah at last a responsive site. What A relief. You’re an absolute marvel BD.
    For 12a we put the letter for zero or nothing inside a male sheep to give the wordplay.
    A typical and enjoyable Rufus Monday puzzle for us.
    Thanks Rufus and MP.

3. dutch
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Hi Miffypops – worth waiting for.

The hungry sheep (12a) is a RAM with nothing (O) inside it – that’s why he’s hungry.

13a was also one of my last ones in – I had bunged in COACH which created problems. I then needed the checkers to fix it.

I really liked 20a. I am delighted she will stand for election again. I also liked 17a and the misleading ‘tell off’ definition in 21d

I agree this Rufus was harder than usual. I didn’t know the Coward play and I was trying to overcomplicate 1d

thanks MP and Rufus

• Miffypops
      Posted November 22, 2016 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Miriam Webster has the answer to 21d as the definition for tell off. I suppose we count off.

4. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for sorting out everything,Dave, I just hope for your sanity that these morons have finished their evil work for good.
    The crossword was tricky, I never did get 17a having not heard the expression. 20a was an excellent anagram that jumped straight out at me.
    Thanks MP for the hints and Rufus.
    Thanks to BD again.

• Miffypops
      Posted November 22, 2016 at 7:47 am | Permalink

HiYaHoofit. It is good to see the anagrams jumping out for you. 17ac is a good clue which should be helped greatly by the checkers.

5. Orphan Annie
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Dear, Darling BD, My heart went out to you when I read message on FB. Not again I thought, welcome back. Thanks to Miffypops and Rufus. Love OA

6. Graham Richards
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Sorry about the ddos attack. Missed you yesterday.
    Thought the crossword had loads of good clues particularly in the across set. The ne corner held me up for a while as I wanted to put tzar/czar/tsar in until the penny dropped.
    Thanks all.

7. Young Salopian
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Having only done this puzzle Tuesday morning, I was unaware of the site problems. Good luck to all who have a hand in fixing it.

I found this to be Rufus at his most benign, I loved the hungry sheep, and 17 across was inspired. 1.5*/4* from me with thanks all round.

8. Angel
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Commiserations and welcome back BD. You were sorely missed. You must be shattered but hope all will now be well for you. Missed the anagram in 9a. Together with MP 1 failed to suss out the clever if not rather far-fetched 12a so appreciated 2Ks’ guidance on that. Was I alone in plumping for Tsar to start with in 14a? Can’t remember how I graded this enjoyable puzzle. Thanks Rufus and MP.

• BusyLizzie
      Posted November 22, 2016 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

No I put in tsar as well so that held me up.

9. john middleton
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Glad to get you back. managed without your help
    yesterday was pretty straight forward, but very
    amusing clues.

Posted November 22, 2016 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Good moaning everyone.
    This site has been so helpful in improving my English, I feel I need to help you understand my language.
    Ceci and cela mean literally this here as in “ce ici” and “ce là”. But it you you want to say that’s, the ” ce” becomes a single “c” followed by the verb “to be” as in c’est la vie.
    Hope cela makes sense.
    17a was my last in and by far my favourite.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP.
    Endive is a must. Prepared like cauliflower cheese is divine.

• Posted November 22, 2016 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Good moaning, JL.

I thought cela is a place to store wine …

11. Posted November 22, 2016 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Some yays and nays purrs and grrs for this one. Mostly not hard, but I did cheat with a couple in the SE, and was delayed by failing for a long time to realise that 14a was a much better clue than I’d given credit for.

I liked 17a and some others which I forget.

Many thanks to Rufus and MP, and extra thanks to BD.

12. BusyLizzie
    Posted November 22, 2016 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Better late than never. Could not get to open yesterday and sorely missed the blog and everyone. A good puzzle but not nearly as much fun when you don’t have kindred spirits to share it with, well apart from Mr BL that is. I think the hungry sheep thing was ram with an o added for hungry, thus making roam? It worked anyway.

Posted November 23, 2016 at 8:21 am | Permalink

What a relief to find the blog operating again this morning. I am sure I am one of many who have felt bereft by its absence. Heartfelt thanks to BD for working so tirelessly to fight off the morons and to keep us happy.

1*/4*. I did enjoy this even though it was largely R&W with just a handful of clues needing a bit of thought, particularly 21d for which I needed some time before I convinced myself that the definition “tell off” works otherwise the word “off” would be redundant which is not Rufus’ style.

There were lots of fun clues but I had no particular favourite today.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP, who has clearly been a very busy fellow not only writing this review in his own inimitable style but also composing this week’s Rookie puzzle. How does he find the time? Dylan fan, mine host, husband to Saint Sharon, grandfather, cribbage player, blogger, reviewer, and now setter too …

14. Peter rees
    Posted November 23, 2016 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Really didn’t like this one, enjoy most clues even when I can’t finish but some of these were poor

15. Gwizz
    Posted November 23, 2016 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I find that if I can’t blog after finishing a crossword I feel a bit cheated! So two days after having completed this puzzle I finally get through to comment. It was Monday, it was Rufus and so it was a good way to start the week. I enjoyed it anyway!
    17a tickled my fancy and overall. Solid 2/3*.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to the multi talented bard for his review.

16. Jane
    Posted November 23, 2016 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Definitely thought this was Rufus flexing his muscles a little more than usual – an enjoyable solve.
    Tried to get 4a in without any checkers then realised just how many actions aviators perform so left it alone for a while.
    12a – thanks to everyone who came up with the parsing, I just hadn’t got there.
    13a – I had ‘wagon’ in for quite a while. Like Dutch with his coach, it made life a little tricky!
    Must ask Mr. G about the pronunciation of 3d – the homophone surprised me.
    5d – I thought he was the bloke who acted but also had a hand in the running of the show?
    The more obscure definition of 8d was new to me but at least I managed the cricket clues without too much trouble.

Podium places went to 17&29a plus 1&6d – the clue for the latter being oh so true in many cases!
    Thanks to Rufus for the enjoyment and to MP for the review – strange to hear your Van singing about ‘uddersfield.

17. Flyingfox
    Posted December 2, 2016 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Thanks BD for sorting out the problems! Good to be back in! Cheers, Flyingfox. The