DT 27941 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27941 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club
Hosted by crypticsue

Some hints follow.  If you need any more help, please ask – fans of anagrams shouldn’t, however, have any problems this morning!

1a           Chased snipers having blown hole in the wall (4,9)
An anagram (having blown) of the first two words in the clue.

cash dispenser

11a         It can put out article about Queen? On the contrary (5)
On the contrary tells you that the cipher of the current Queen goes about or outside a grammatical article.  I do like a definition that makes you think for a while as to what the setter requires.

17a         Old rogue on TV’s energy to write (7)
A clue that may be slightly unfair to some of our overseas ‘viewers’ – a ‘rogue’ from one of TV’s favourite sitcoms, an S (TV S)  followed by the abbreviation for energy.

22a         Murphy gets Northern Irish party’s backing (4)
Reverse the abbreviation for one of the Northern Irish political parties to get an informal way of referring to a vegetable that is sometimes called a ‘Murphy’.

28a         Trade no longer carried out in conurbation (7,6)
An anagram to start with and another to finish the Across clues. ‘Carried out’ indicates the need to rearrange TRADE NO LONGER to get a British conurbation.

Greater London

1d           Reliable policeman prospered keeping clear of drink (6-8)
An adjective meaning safe or reliable – a slang term for a policeman followed by part of a verb meaning prospered or increased in value, into which is inserted the two letter abbreviation we use to mean keeping clear of alcoholic drink.

2d           Vice of heartless Lothario (5)
My hint for this clue is “Did Kath spot it?”

4d           Some fishing equipment catching trout finally, a hard problem (7)
I do hope Brian liked today’s crossword as he is fond of using this word to describe puzzles he doesn’t, and I have better things to do today than redacting comments that breach the rules of the Big Red Box. A type of fishing weight with the final letter of trout inserted.

14d         I put on a show with one Italian character entertaining president (10)
The letter that looks like a number one followed by an Italian character into which is inserted the abbreviation for president.

25d         A female Wimbledon champion once (4)
Combining the first word of the clue and another way of referring to a female should quickly reveal this former Wimbledon champion.

Arthur Ashe

The Crossword Club is now open.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:32 am | Permalink

1.5*/2.5*. I stretched myself above 1* time largely due to my inability to spell 5d and 14d. This was largely straightforward but enjoyable and sprinkled throughout with some nice clues. Definitely not a 4d.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to CS.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

How’s Mr Rabbit this morning? Do hope that he’s a bit better – maybe he’d like a little http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif to put in some water in his hutch.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted October 24, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Yes, thank you, Kath. He seems very slightly better again today and has been eating a tiny bit more. Very small steps but going in the right direction …

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

As a bit of a digression, when I am viewing the prize puzzle comments at the weekend my page up/page down and cursor keys don’t work, so I can only use the scroll bar for navigation. The same thing doesn’t seem to happen during Mondays to Fridays so I wonder if in some way it’s connected with the dreaded red box?
      I expect BD will say it’s because I am forced to use Internet Explorer as my browser, but as I use a company laptop I don’t have a choice.

2. JonP
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A fairly straightforward Saturday puzzle that didn’t hold me up for too long. Thanks to CS and setter 1.5*/3*

Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I didn’t know the old rogue, but the answer to the clue was easily found from the checking letters. I agree with RD that it was straightforward, but enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks to CS and the setter.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this – fairly straightforward apart from a couple of clues (and a couple of spelling mistakes – my fault!)
    I’m not good at TV characters unless they’re very well known – I had heard of the one in 24d but had to guess and ask the nice Mr Google about 17a.
    Unravelling 14d took a while as did 7d.
    Now then, CS, this hint for 2d – the answer is, yes, but don’t ask how long it took me or how many of the five letters of the answer had to be in first! Oh dear!
    I liked 10 and 27a (once I’d stopped trying to make it into a country) and 7 and 8d. My favourite was 18a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to CS.
    What a miserable day it is in Oxford – need the NTSPP.

• Jane
      Posted October 24, 2015 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Be careful what you wish for, Kath! I’m currently making little headway with Elgar. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted October 24, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

So far I’ve got seven answers which is, I think, probably about six more than I’ve ever got in one of Elgar’s crosswords.
        20a was in a Ray T crossword a very long time ago – it was an across clue up in the top left hand corner – isn’t it funny what a brain remembers – perhaps I should get out more! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Expat Chris
        Posted October 24, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Just about to start….

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted October 24, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Same here. Lovely colours, I even set my printer as “different shades of grey” would certainly not do.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Were BD here and not solving this crossword in the pub in York, I’m sure he’d be the first to say ‘please don’t discuss the NTSPP on this page in case you give away something that might spoil it for those people who haven’t printed it off/started solving it yet.”

Posted October 24, 2015 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Kath, pursuant to the Rick Stein reference a day or so ago, if you google Rick Stein Chalky, he has a lovely 13a for Chalky you might like. He also quotes a moving Kipling verse.

5. Graham
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

A nice way to start off the weekend, nice & gentle 1.5*/*** Thanks to the setter & CS for the hints.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

6. Graham Wall
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant stroll in the park. Not taxing but got the weekend off to a good start. No hints required but thanks to CS for the blog. 1/3

Posted October 24, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Great fun, really enjoyed this one. Bit of a stall when I put an old legal TV rogue into 17a!! Best clue for me was 8d followed closely by 1d, both real smile clues.
    Thx to all.

8. njm
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Sorry to be out of step, this took me far longer than any of the other cryptics this week. Now that I’ve finished, though, I can’t for the life of me work out why! Didn’t enjoy it though. 4*/1* for me.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Sarah
      Posted October 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I so agree with you. I was up particularly early for a rehearsal so maybe I was tired but I just couldn’t get going. Clearly I’m on my own planet today. Many thanks for the needed hints and, of course, to the setter

9. john middleton
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Managed to finish it without any aids, must be an easier one or I’m getting clever in my dotage.

10. Nick the Greek
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

A lovely fun crossword. My only point is the S in 17a; it has to be there but I don’t think TV’s is good enough. Many thanks to the setter and CS. 1*/4*

Posted October 24, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Wonderful day down in the south of France, crowned with this great crossword from, it seems, one of my favourite setter.
    I was particularly taken by the smooth surface of some clues such as 10a ( Indian mystic) and 7d (police barrier).
    The TV references didn’t cause any problems either.
    Thanks to the setter and to CS for holding the fort.

12. overtaxed
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Seemed tricky for a while, but once completed, can’t work out why. All now seems quite straight forward. In fact, has similarities to a Monday puzzle. Favourite was 8d.
    Nice afternoon here after a damp start but grass too wet to cut. Lucky me!
    Thanks to CS for the hints, and to the setter.

13. Caravaggio
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your efforts today, Sue, and I appreciate that I’m late on parade but I had to avail myself of a free flu injection. I enjoyed this puzzle, which I finished in reasonable time, and this has given me the opportunity to start altering the multitude of clocks and watches which I’ve acquired over the years…

14. Peta
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

We did it! Struggled with a couple, but we did it!

Posted October 24, 2015 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Break out the choccy digestives.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted October 25, 2015 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Carry on with the good work Peta & Mum, you’re well on the way to becoming seasoned solvers http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Now, where are those biscuits……………..http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

Posted October 24, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to crypticSue for the hints. An enjoyable puzzle with some good clues. On the gentle side, I would say. Favourite was 18a. Last in was 17a.Was 1*/3* for me. A bit gloomy in Central London, more to come, as the clocks go back tomorrow http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted October 24, 2015 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Nothing too frightening here. I just bunged 17a in, what else could it be, but never knew the TV reference.
    Many good clues here,I liked 10a and 18a.
    Thanks to setter and to CS for standing in and providing us with the hints.

17. Miranda Lewis
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

fine apart from 26a of which I`m totally confused but I did manage to make my Christmas cake between clues.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

If you have the correct checking letters for 26a, there aren’t many options for ‘grand works’ that wil fit. You need an abbreviation for ‘oriential’ and some abbreviated images.

18. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

*/**. A very straightforward puzzle today with a couple of nice clues (1&8d). Thanks to the setter and CS for the review. Having a lazy morning today and conscious I need to get up to walk the dogs. A pleasant prospect along the banks of the Serpentine.

19. Miranda Lewis
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Got it thank you

Posted October 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

To keep the comments threads together it is best to click reply rather than putting a new separate comment

20. Paso Doble
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

we didn’t find it as easy as everyone else today. Probably a 2.5/*** for us. A very enjoyable solve for a wet Saturday. Thanks to CS for the review and to Mr Ron.

21. Little Dave
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

What a pleasant puzzle. Started very quickly but slowed somewhat until the last one went in was done (13a). A great weekend so far: bonfire; leaf clearing; cricket nets with the boys; and a 3 points at Norwich City. England heading for defeat in Dubai but I now have a class of chilled white to watch the dancing with Mrs LD. Spectre next week.

• Angel
      Posted October 24, 2015 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Enjoy Spectre – my godson was a cameraman so got to go to all those exciting locations. I have seen a few shots taken on location but look forward to the real thing.

22. Young Salopian
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Did this in good time this morning before driving to Birmingham to hear Brahms’ Requiem. I hate the M6. A wonderful concert though, achingly beautiful and intensely moving, (unlike the M6). The puzzle was just over a one for difficulty, but in three territory for enjoyment. Thanks to all concerned.

Posted October 24, 2015 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I made this about 1*/3.5*, and my only problem was caused by my having spelled 5d with the “I” and the “a” the other way round. I believe l have done so ever since l first knew of the word, and – until today – have never had cause to look it up in a dictionary. I enjoyed 17a, and 8d made me smile when the penny dropped. Thanks to the setter, and of course to CrypticSue.

• Badger
      Posted October 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks salty dog for that hint-I did the same ! It’s not a word you use very often and looks Ok when written vertically! That meant 12a was not so difficult as I couldn’t get anything to fit…..
      4d was tricky one -something straight from Billy Bunter!

Enjoyable and thanks to Cryptic Sue and setter.
      PS how do you qualify for the hints -apart from getting up at 4 am to get the paper!

• Jane
        Posted October 25, 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

From a junior’s point of view, Badger, what you need is the confidence that you can achieve a quick solve, a good knowledge of crossword ‘language’ to put the hints across to others, consummate IT skills and the time to stay on line to answer questions throughout the day. Oh yes – also the ability to convince BD that you have all of the afore-mentioned skills. Simples!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Posted October 25, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Posted October 25, 2015 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Add to that a certain amount of gullibility.
          As for the ‘IT skills’ – you must be having a laugh! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Jane
            Posted October 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Thought I’d leave the ‘gullibility’ out of the equation. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

24. Robin Newman
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

liked 1D & 8D

stuck on parsing:
    24D-TV ref I think
    19D-cannot figure this one-know what the answer must be of course

Thanks to CS & setter

25. Angel
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

A great way to relax after an exhausting day entertaining family chez moi. No real problems but I found it just nicely challenging. Not sure 13a is really an item? Like Kath I had to seek help with 17a. None really qualify as a Fav for me. Thanks Mr. Ron and CS for your hints. ***/***.

26. Tstrummer
    Posted October 24, 2015 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Final destination reached in lashing rain – two wet people, two wetter dogs who refused to remain below deck. Cleaned up the boat (very grubby after a week on board), picked up a paper and set off to look for a pub. Found one in a deserted village called Long Itchington and had an agreeable couple of pints with the landlord before returning to the boat, lighting the stove and settling down for the solve. All over too quickly, though it was fun while it lasted. Equal favourite clues: 1a & 8d. Many thanks to the setter (I think I know who, but I’m not risking writing it here) and to CS for fun hints. 1*/3*. Back to London tomorrow, but not back to work until Tuesday, so day for golf/guitar, depending on the weather.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted October 25, 2015 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Have a good trip TS. How many locks to be negotiated on the way home?

27. Mike
    Posted October 25, 2015 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Never was asked to make the end of year speech, so did not get an award.
    What is awarded?

Posted October 25, 2015 at 8:02 am | Permalink

A quick trip to the dictionary will explain why your solution is an award. Split the solution 3, 7 and the reference to the end of the year speech should become clear.

28. Helen
    Posted October 25, 2015 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Think I’ve got 15a right, but no idea why… Thanks to all for this site, it’s moved me from getting a few clues to finishing it without a solver most weeks. Love the banter, too!

Posted October 25, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Welcome Helen. To get the support, simply put the abbreviation for son into something running out of control.

• Helen