Hints and tips by Kitty & Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Hello from sunny Surrey where a bleary-eyed Kitty has endeavoured to provide you with some across hints before sending you a little way northwards and leaving you to the tender mercies of Miffypops. I hope today finds you well and happy.

It doesn’t get much more Rufus-y than this. As so often happens with him I started quickly, gained confidence, and then slowed down and started to lose it. I needed electronic help for 19d and 25a, so not the easiest Monday in my book.

The hints and tips below are here to help and guide you. I hope they serve their purpose. Definitions are underlined. If you still need an answer after reading the hint then press click here and the answer will be revealed. If you do not want to see the answer – do not click.

Across Clues by Kitty

1a    Alterations in the bell-ringer’s programme (7)
CHANGES: A double definition to get the ball rolling. Or the bell ringing: these are the orders in which a peal of bells can be rung. The first definition should need no further explanation.

5a    The last section to have a complaint in mind (4,3)
TAIL END: This final part is found by inserting a three letter word for trouble or indisposition (which Chambers assures me can be a noun) into one meaning take care of. Another definition could be the answer to 21a.

9a    I complain when she comes over (5)
NAOMI: One of those more unusual clues where the definition is to be found in the middle. Take the I from the clue and a word for grumble or whinge. When this is reversed (comes over) we are left with a girl’s name. I wonder if the setter knows someone of this name and whether the surface reading is appropriate.

10a    Radio users may get faulty set in ships (9)
LISTENERS: Put an anagram (faulty) of SET into some large passenger-carrying vessels. The radio users are employing one of their senses specifically.

The *********

By Walter de La Mare

‘Is there anybody there?’ said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
Of the forest’s ferny floor:
And a bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the Traveller’s head:
And he smote upon the door again a second time;
‘Is there anybody there?’ he said.
But no one descended to the Traveller;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Leaned over and looked into his grey eyes,
Where he stood perplexed and still.
But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men:
Stood thronging the faint moonbeams on the dark stair,
That goes down to the empty hall,
Hearkening in an air stirred and shaken
By the lonely Traveller’s call.
And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry,
While his horse moved, cropping the dark turf,
‘Neath the starred and leafy sky;
For he suddenly smote on the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:—
‘Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,’ he said.
Never the least stir made the listeners,
Though every word he spake
Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
From the one man left awake:
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

11a    Cliques in the Lords — they’ve much in common (4,6)
PEER GROUPS: A number of people equal in age, rank, merit, etc. If the sets of people are members of the House of Lords, they are literally these.

12a    A student is after an alternative test (4)
ORAL: Place a word offering an alternative before A from the clue and the one letter abbreviation for L(earner) to give us an old friend.

14a    Travels far and makes one’s mark in the world (4,1,4,3)
GOES A LONG WAY: A phrase for covers a lot of distance is also an idiom meaning is successful.

18a    Professional comes in to introduce new generation (12)
REPRODUCTION: When an abbreviation for pro(fessional) is put inside (comes in) an anagram (new) of INTRODUCE, what comes out is breeding or spawning.

21a    Barrel  end of a gun (4)
BUTT: A double definition . A barrel for water and the end of a gun – but not the barrel end, the other one.

22a    One’s put in by an attendant (10)
APPEARANCE: This attendant is not one who waits or serves but simply one who is present. If you put in one of these you have shown your face.

25a    Put in a drink, it could knock Argonauts out (9)
ANGOSTURA: More things to put in, this time in a drink. An anagram (it could knock __ out) of ARGONAUTS produces an aromatic bitter bark used to flavour some bitters. But not the bitters of that name: the brand comes from the town in Venezuela where they were first produced. This fact got me very tangled up indeed when writing the hint. I might need a drink later!

26a    A leading publication? (5)
GUIDE: This cryptic definition is easiest to twig if you put on a literal-minded hat. (The hat is only metaphorical. If you have a literal literal-minded hat please send in a photo because I would love to see it.) This publication will help to lead you. To conduct or direct you. It is a book you might take with you on your travels or perhaps to research good food or good pubs. Speaking of which, you will find The Green Man in CAMRA’s one of these.

27a    Back possibly sore after final (7)
ENDORSE: Here we have an anagram (possibly) of SORE after a conclusion. The back is not a rear but a verb meaning support or advocate

28a    Boring outside broadcast (7)
TEDIOUS: I was totally dim-witted here. I repeated the answer aloud several times trying to work out the homophone. Of course, broadcast is also a perfectly run-of-the-mill anagram indicator, and if you form an anagram of OUTSIDE you get the answer. Dull, monotonous, dreary.

Down by Miffypops the mere minion

1d    Cover story with article inside (6)
CANOPY: In Journalistic terms matter to be printed around the form of the indefinite article a used before words beginning with a vowel sound.

2d    Maintained a five-nil lead over United (6)
AVOWED: Lego time. Add together A from the clue. The Roman numeral used to indicate the number 5. The roundest letter we have that looks like nil and a verb meaning united in marriage

3d    Deteriorating and becoming a drug-taker (5,2,3)
GOING TO POT: This term is a way of indicating that an item, person or machine is past its best and is failing rapidly. The drug is the last word and is another word for marijuana

4d    Broadside written in colossal volume (5)
SALVO: I do like a lurker. This broadside is lurking away hidden across two words in the clue. I spotted him straight away. Can you see him?

5d    One who is often up for trial (4,5)
TEST PILOT: These aviation trials take place up in the sky. This is the man or woman that flies the aircraft.

6d    Beginning of last month turned very cold (4)
ICED: The date as written on the first day of the last month of our calendar is reversed here.

7d    You may be surprised if they are arched (8)
EYEBROWS: We have two of these, one above each eye. Mine were last raised upon hearing Kitty’s alternative answer for 12ac. Naughty Kitty.

8d    I spy lads going round in spectacles (8)
DISPLAYS: Our first anagram of the down clues. I SPY LADS is the fodder. Going round is the indicator.

13d    In the finish bravery is cheered (10)
ENCOURAGED: Place a word meaning bravery, nerve, pluck, valour, daring or audacity inside (in) a short word meaning the finish

15d    Solid achievement by an artist (9)
SCULPTURE: A three dimensional art form using solid materials which may be carved, cast or manipulated in some other way

16d    Cheat to secure point in card game (8)
CRIBBAGE: This oldest of known card games can be found by adding together the three parts of the clue. This type of clue is known as a CHARADE by the long standing staid and stuffy crosswordland elite. The more modern street fighting guerrilla bloggers led ably by Miffypops Kath Kitty and pommers are redefining the language of the blogging fraternity and prefer to call these Lego clues or Do What It Says On the Tin clues. Lets do that then. Take a four letter word meaning to cheat by copying in an exam. Add a verb meaning to succeed in killing or catching an animal and finish off with a point of the compass. North South or West will not work. I do not think I have mentioned this before but The Green Man in Long Itchington have secured top place in The Harbury and District Crib League and cannot be beaten with two games left to play

As namechecked by Jane Austen No less. Mrs. Busby drinks tea and plays at cribbage here tomorrow; and on Friday, I believe, we go to the Chamberlaynes’. Last night we walked by the Canal.

17d    Went back to secure an advantage over a fellow player? (8)
UPSTAGED: My last one in. A theatrical term used during dialogue when an actor or actress moves further back into the stage thus causing another actor or actress to turn their back to the audience. One lives and learns.

19d    Duke Ellington’s mood? (6)
INDIGO: Duke Ellington, a giant of the jazz age died forty one years ago so is probably a little too young to be fairly mentioned in a cryptic puzzle. This mood refers to one of his most popular pieces. As this is more of a general knowledge clue I will allow you to type the words Duke Ellington Mood into your search engine of choice as a last resort but only if you cannot guess the answer from the checking letters.

20d    Small containers which eliminate waste (6)
SEWERS: These containers are not small so watch out for Rufus’s misdirection here. Take the S(mall) and follow that with containers that are large jugs with wide mouths formally used for carrying water.

23d    Demand and get payment  absolutely right (5)
EXACT: A double definition

24d    It’s sure to upset an employer (4)
USER: Anagram (to upset) of SURE

Phew. That took longer than normal. Excellent puzzle though from a master of excellent puzzles. Thanks Kitty.

The Quick Crossword pun: miss+cons+true=misconstrue

1. Collywobbles
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

What a lovely puzzle. OK, it was a bit read and write but nonetheless enjoyable for that. There were, for me, some nicely crafted clues and completion of the puzzle was enjoyable – for me. Many thanks to Rurus for a fine puzzle and to K&M for the hints which were, sadly, not necessary for me

2. happy days
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I thought 2dn in particular was a lovely clue. Happy Monday everybody

3. Beaver
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops ,17d was my last in also and I now know the derivation of the term- liked the mallard pic in 5a,the females the one with the mouth open! Entertaining crossword ,going for a **/***,liked 19d,but more in the general knowledge category than cryptic, and not seen the excellent anagram in 25a before.

4. Liz
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Well! Not too much trouble with this one today…..amazing! Really quite straightforward…and didn’t even need to use the hints…. In fact I finished it before the hints were posted! My Monday brain is obviously refreshed from last weeks travail. I particularly liked 19d great music…and. 20d was neat. Thanks for a very enjoyable puzzle….*/**** from me today……..I suppose I’ll now have to get on with some housework…gardening…..or other non-crossword activity….started the Hercules GK puzzle and only got half way so far..

Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

1*/4*. Wonderful stuff from the master of fun. Brief but beautiful cluing throughout.

17d was my last one in, and I needed MP’s help to understand the wordplay fully. Talking of Miffypops, nice to see 16d – right up his street! 6d was my favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP & Kitty.

• dutch
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Yes, I too thought immediately of Miffypops on solving 16d

6. Paso Doble
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable and easy start to the week again in contrast to yesterdays Virgilius which was only finished this morning because of other commitments with friends in Hastings. Splendid day by the seaside anyway incorporating a thoroughly recommended exhibition of the art of Ladybird books at Bexhill on sea. Thanks to Rufus, Kitty and her assistant! Can’t remember his name but I think it might be Miffypops.

• Paso Doble
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

By the way, if anyone’s interested, there’s a typical but delightful Rufus puzzle in the Guardian today.

7. George
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Yes, quite straight forward indeed. I had to look up 19d as I am not a jazz aficionado but other than that all went in quite quickly

2*/3* would eb my rating.

Thanks to all.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

No huge problems today but I did need the explanation for the i in 6d. All in all a very good crossword to start the week. My personal fav was 5d but also liked 21a.
    Sorry to disappoint some of you but no negative comments from me today!
    Thx to all for a good start to the week.

9. williamus
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful way to start the week! Read-and-write to start with but got a bit caught out by Rufus’ masterful misdirection. I had forgotten the theatrical derivation for 17d and I haven’t seen 25a since the brown bottle with the paper label was in my parents’ drinks cabinet… The only real hold-up for me was putting ANAL in for 12a. Oh dear! 1*/4* for me

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops & Kitty for the review

• Bluebird
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Yes, my father in law instructed me on the little bottle, so I could provide pink gin to his exacting standards….
      And it HAD to be Plymouth Gin…

• Kitty
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

The AN from the clue, with the definition the last two words? The thought never crossed my mind.

10. Bluebird
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Re 17d….
    I wonder how many of us faffed and faddled about trying to reverse words, tried to insert words ( secure) and tried alternate terms for “advantage” before the penny dropped that it was a straightforward non-cryptic definition.
    Well done, that man!!

• George
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I think I tried to make several of the clues more complex than they in fact were. Sometime the simplest reading of the clue works. I suppose I am always expecting some devious thinking!

Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I thought that some of this was decidedly tricky so 3* for difficulty and nearer 4* for enjoyment.
    I got as far as 12a before I had a single answer and didn’t have very many by the time I started on the down clues but managed quite a few of them and then got going a bit.
    I missed the simplest anagram indicator in the world of cryptic crosswords in 18a – dim, or what?
    2d sounded dangerously footbally and made me go completely blind for a little while.
    I did know 19d because my Dad used to listen to a lot of Duke Ellington and in any case he does pop up in crosswords from time to time.
    I ended up with a few problems mainly in the bottom left corner – 18a and 15, 16 and 17d but got there in the end – my last answer was 22a.
    I liked 9 and 14a and 16 and 17d. My favourite was 3d.
    With thanks to Rufus and thanks and http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif to Miffypops and Kitty.

12. Hanni
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

*/***

Complete R&W, but fun.

Nice to see the Duke mentioned, which incidently is my favourite clue.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MPK for blogging.

13. fran
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

A tad tricky in places didn’t get 20d without help otherwise a sunny start to the week 2** /4****

14. silvanus
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Very typically Rufus indeed, but none the worse for that, it was very entertaining as ever for a Monday.

Some deliciously clever and subtle cluing, in particular 2d, 17d, 20d and my favourite 18a.

Many thanks to the setter, Miffypops and Kitty.

15. SheilaP
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

One or two R &Ws ( and I don’t say that very often) and then a bit more thought for the rest, but all very enjoyable and the best is, that I could actually do it. So thank you to the excellent Monday setter and to K & M.

16. Poppy
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

5a is my fave simply because I’m an idiot who thought Thin End was a suitable answer! It all seems so obvious now…. Many thanks to both Miffypops and Kitty – what a team! Terrific stuff. Hope the bleary ness is easing, Kitty. And thanks to the setter for some satisfying work. Mr P is up on town getting tickets to see Anthony Sher in Death of a Salesman. He was unforgettable as Richard III and well worth the queuing all night to get seats. Greetings to all.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

way back in the early eighties we went to nearly every production at The Belgrade Theatre in Coventry. We decided to miss Death Of A Salesman as none of knew the work and it was written by some american geezer. luckily I went to the Box Office to buy tickets for another production (remember Box offices)? and whilst waiting in the queue I read Peter McGarry’s excellent review of Death Of A salesman. That review read so well I bought tickets for that nights production which was the last of its run. It was and remains the single most enthralling piece of theatre I have ever seen. A complete masterclass with an absolutely stunning endidng that I did not foresee. to think we nearly missed it.

• Paso Doble
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

When I went to buy tickets for Death of a Salesman for myself and three chums, they’d sold out of the cheapo (crossword clue from a couple of weeks ago) tickets and I didn’t have enough money to upgrade. As it was a ticket agency in London I plumped for four tickets for Dire Straits instead. Good choice as it turned out.

• Jane
          Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Paso Doble,
          Dire Straits is always a good choice. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted April 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Dire Straits is not just a good choice – it/they’re the best. Saw them at the NEC but don’t ask me when – a long time ago – absolutely brilliant. Love Mark Knopfler – arguably the best guitarist in the world, but don’t start me on this one again . . .

• Jane
              Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

No argument from me Kath. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Paso Doble
                Posted April 21, 2015 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Yes, it was brilliant, cant remember when it was either! I worked as a production assistant on their video ‘Tunnel of Love’ (an epic 8 minutes plus) in 1980 (I think) !!

• Cryptor
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Went to see it on Saturday last. First half induced a few winks (about 40, in fact), but second half was outstanding.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I too put “thin end” at first, but kept coming back to it when I couldn’t find a sensible (or even silly) way to make “hin” mean “have a complaint”.

P.S. Kitty, I think Rufus might have intended the three letter word to be a verb equivalent to the verbal phrase “have a complaint” rather than a noun meaning “complaint”.

• Angel
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Yes, I too went for ‘thin end’ and have only just now realised my faux-pas when I read comments by you and others above – d’oh! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

• Kitty
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

A much better parsing, RD. I was bound to get at least one things wrong today.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 21, 2015 at 8:46 am | Permalink

The way to look at it is to think of all the MANY things that you got RIGHT!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Kitty
            Posted April 21, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Thanks. Not including my comment above… http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Going to see Death of a Salesman in Stratford in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait. I remember seeing another marvellous production in (I think) the early 1980s with Warren Mitchell as Willy Loman. He was brilliant. Saw Sher as Falstaff recently at Stratford in Henry IV pts 1&2 at Stratford. Hope his overacting tendencies don’t get the better of him in DOAS

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Wow. Warren Mitchell. We had him in Ducking Out with a very young Nicholas Lyndhurst I remember.

• jean-luc cheval
          Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Or was it with Kevin Kennedy rather? Before he went on to do some soap.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

You’re back from your boat then . . . hope you had a good week – you certainly had lovely weather.

• Tstrummer
          Posted April 21, 2015 at 1:16 am | Permalink

We did, but very strong winds make boating more tricky than I’d like, but it was fab. One day shorts and T-shirts, the next hats, heavy jackets and gloves. Travelled through a very well-populated haven for the endangered water vole (Ratty) and there were many out in the sunshine

Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Typical Rufus, very enjoyable and straightforward.
    I think Trinidadians would get a bit put out to have their Angostura called Venezuelan. They guard the secret recipe very carefully.
    Oh dear, how do I choose a fave? Probably 16d.
    Thanks Rufus, and Kitty and M’pops for the entertaining review.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

You’re right, Kitty. Angostura did originate in Venezuela. It is now such a Trinidadian product, of which they are very proud, I never knew of the Venezuelan origin

• Kitty
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

All I know on the subject I know from Wikipedia. I have learnt something today, and shall have to have a tasting to augment my education.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

A good fun start to the week. thank you Rufus. Not too much of a threat ! 1a for CS and 16d for MP – bespoke clues. Many thanks Kitty and Miffypops for your review and hints.

19. Angel
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

A simple kick-off to the week but with plenty of fun along the way. Thank you Rufus for that and the two blogging birds of a feather for being there in case of need. 18a had to be but I had stupidly failed to twig an anagram. Not being a pink gin fan my 25a gets added to tonic water for a non-alcoholic drink or added as herbal flavouring in gravies. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

20. dutch
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

great puzzle from rufus today, mega enjoyable. I thought 19d was a bit weak cryptically, I guess it’s a play on mood. 17d, so this has a literal meaning but also the more general meaning of upstaging someone (securing an advantage over?). Again, I was left thinking this was a little weak cryptically, but I adored so much in the rest of the puzzle.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Happy Monday everyone!
    Nice and straightforward crossword from Rufus today.
    All in one clues are always so refreshing.
    25a always reminds me of the Rum rather than the little bottle. So much better.
    Favourite is 3d followed by 2d for the lovely surface.
    Thanks to Kitty for the Bowie song.
    It seems that MP’s crib tournament is already in the bag. Congratulations in advance.
    Congratulations also to Toulon for beating Leinster. Great match all the way till the end. The H cup shall remain in France again.
    But enough cocorico.
    Well no actually. The Sailing World Cup has just started in Hyeres followed by the Kite Masters so Vive la France. And to top it all, Karl Lagerfeld is arriving on Wednesday to stay at the Villa Romana to celebrate the 30th International Fashion Festival.
    Chanel has poured a few hundred thousand euros to make him comfortable and to organise the party of the year.
    A big welcome to everybody.
    Thanks to our dynamic duo for the review and to Rufus.
    Off to print the rookie now.
    A bientôt.

22. Tstrummer
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

It’s good to be back in crossword land after a week away on the water (Ashby canal, beautiful; Coventry, oh dear) to a very gentle but typically fun Rufus. 1* time but 3* enjoyment. 9a is my favourite, but others worth a mention include 22 &25a and 2d. Many thanks to Kittypops for the entertaining reviews and to Rufus for enlivening my last day off before taking a deep breath and diving back into the netherworld of electioneering.

• Jane
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Tstrummer,
      Glad to hear that you enjoyed your watery saunter but don’t envy you the return to ‘duty’. I often think that, amidst all the on-line polls that are rampant at the moment, it would be interesting if they were to include one asking how many people are currently avoiding reading the first few pages of their newspapers because they’re ‘sick to the back teeth’ of the whole business and don’t believe most of the electioneering promises anyway………..just a thought. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Tstrummer
        Posted April 21, 2015 at 1:20 am | Permalink

That’s why we don’t start our election coverage until page 6

• Jane
          Posted April 21, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Well – that’s just cheating! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Surely Sutton Stop floated your boat Tstrummer. I hope you enjoyed a pint in The Greyhound.

• Tstrummer
        Posted April 21, 2015 at 1:19 am | Permalink

I am well familiar with Sutton Stop and The Greyhound. I once got a round of applause from assembled drinkers outside as I achieved a slick manoeuvre. Didn’t stop there this time, though, as time was pressing.

23. Hilary
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Oh Spit my dying tablet switched itself off halfway through last effort so will try again. Good day something has gone seriously wrong as I managed to complete with no electronic help or even scribbled anagrams. Giggled at 16d talk about custom built crosswords suppose too hackneyed to have hoped for clip to illustrate 19 d. Spent boring afternoon repacking postcards in desperate attempt to persuade people to buy them. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif. Thanks to Kiity and Miffypops – by the way did you win the cribbage thingy? Tee Hee

• Hilary
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Forgot my manners again thank to Rufus. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Here is a clip for you hilary. Yes we won the cribbage thingy.

• Hilary
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Perfect thank you

24. Derek
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle from Rufus as usual.

Weather here in NL is magnificent.

Groetjes allemaal!

25. Framboise
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I too put thin end for 5a, oops! Otherwise a lovely puzzle which I enjoyed very much. Mr Framboise provided Indigo – he is a great jazz fan… Read Walter de la Mare’s poem with great interest and learnt a new word in the process ‘smote’. I will echo Jean-Luc’s cocorico about Toulon beating Leinster yesterday, so there. Lots of great clues but my vote for favourite will go to 3d. 1.5*/4*. Many thanks to Rufus for a wonderful start of the week and to Miffypops and Kitty for their great work.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle as usual from Rufus. Re 9a, it is a particularly apt clue as Naomi left her home a wealthy woman and returned , many years later , penniless, a biblical punishment for complaining about and refusing to share her wealth with others in a time of famine.
    I guessed 19d from the checkers, but thanks for the explanation, Miffypops.
    Favourite ? It is hard to pick just one, perhaps 9a or 18a.

27. Jane
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

More than happy to believe that 16d was a nod from Rufus to our dearly beloved MP but couldn’t possibly comment as to whether 12a was included for Kitty http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif (see MP’s comments).

Managed to escape Kitty’s pitfalls at 25a & 19d. The former due to the fact that a friend of mine habitually orders lime, lemonade & 25a when we go out for lunch – a combo. she discovered during her hols in the Antipodes. I suspect that she secretly enjoys the discomfiture endured by waiting-on staff who either don’t have or have never heard of 25a and so proceed to illuminate her with a list of the best bitter beers of the house.

As for 19d – No. 2 daughter recently decided to purchase some furniture from a company of the same name and asked me to have a look at their website – my ‘pop-up’ advert ever since has been from them!

Lots to like in this puzzle with my personal favourite being either 5a or 20d. The former due to a recent conversation here regarding where ‘blokes’ keep their brains!

Many thanks to Rufus for brightening a Monday and thanks also to the intrepid Kittypops duo for another very successful blog.

ps Kitty – loved the peal of bells, the up-ended Mallards and the reminder of the Walter de la Mere piece that I reckon many of us had to learn by heart for ‘O’ levels, GCSE’s etc!

• Kitty
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

My favourite is also 5a, thinking along similar lines.

I only contributed a couple of pics, so please thank Miffypops for your video entertainment this week. Here we are busy with visitors and stuff and I am amazed I can even string a few words together.

• Jane
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Oops – thanks for the info. Kitty and my apologies to MP for misdirected thanks for pics/vids.

You always seem to be inundated with visitors, Kitty – I’m trying to decide whether you run a guest house or just have lots of friends and family who love spending time with you and yours. By the way – if MP is north of you, whereabouts is your home turf?

• Kitty
          Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Tut tut, Jane, you didn’t read my intro ;).

Friends and family. It is like a guesthouse but we don’t charge.

• Jane
            Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – I did read it, Kitty, but that was this morning and long before I had time to devote to the puzzle and the comments. One day, when you join the old and grey contingent, you’ll come to appreciate the ‘syndrome’ of short-term memory failings! Trouble is that there’s tons of stuff readily available from the long-term memory bank but sadly a lot of it is only of use for Cryptics! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Kitty
              Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Oh, I already have a rubbish short-term memory. It goes well with the rubbish long-term memory. My hair might not be grey yet but I feel about 109.

Who are you again? What did I come in here for?

• Jane
                Posted April 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I know the answers to both of those – hang on………….I’ll get back to you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

28. Cryptor
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Think I know Kitty’s alternative answer to 12a as it occurred to me as well, and brought a tear to the eye. Favourite 28a for its staggering simplicity. Beautiful. Thanks to Rufus and our excellent bloggers, Miffy and Kittypops. ***/***

• Tantalus
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

We enjoyed k & m’s hints almost as much as the crossword. Holiday here in Boston but weather too cold to garden.

Mr & Mrs T

29. Gwizz
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Oh my! I must be the only person to make a ricket in today’s puzzle! 21a; I used B from ‘end of barrel’ and the anagram of GUN to give….. well, it made sense to me. Unfortunately 17d became impossible. Thank you Kpops for sorting me out therefore and up to that point, thanks to RayT for a great start to the week, well almost…
    2d was my favourite clue.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Sounds like you got Bung and Bunged it in. I am all for it. Well done that man.

• Jane
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, Gwizz – Ray T is on a Thursday (and sadly only every second one of those). I love Rufus’ puzzles but please don’t confuse him with THE man!

Posted April 20, 2015 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

This one slotted together very smoothly for us and supplied the usual generous helping of fun that we expect on a Monday.
    Thanks Rufus, Kitty and Miffypops.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Simple but satisfying: 1*/3.5* – just right to kick off the crossword week. I was tempted by 16d and 19d as favourite, for very different reasons, but in the end plumped for 17d. Many thanks to Rufus, and to Kitty and Miffypops for the review.

32. Whybird
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Overall, very enjoyable, and a relief from some of the struggles in recent days. Favourite was 6d, which had me very annoyed until the penny dropped and the cleverness became clear. 19d has no place in a cryptic, though, not with that answer (not that I can think of a proper cryptic solution). Possibly a deliberate double-bluff, because Rufus is so annoyingly good at misdirection, so “straight” clues are seldom what they seem.

33. Jay legs
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Nice straightforward start to the week */*** Thanks to all involved ;)

34. Ora Meringue
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Managed it!!!

Didn’t need the electronic help or the hints .
    Hurrah!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Really liked 16d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Kitty and Miffypops.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. By the way you are right. It is a cake.

• Jane
        Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Go on, MP – I’ll be the fall guy……… what’s the particular cake you’re referring to? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Any cake will not be a meringue will it Jane. So they are right.

• Kitty
          Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

• Jane
            Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Ho hum – I’m definitely swimming in the mire here………. I know what a cake looks like, I know what a meringue looks like, I know what Ewan Mc. looks like but……….. I still don’t understand what you’re getting at. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty & Miffypops. A very enjoyable puzzle, but found it very tricky at the end. Needed electronic help for 17d, and needed the hints for 26a&19d, never heard of the latter. Favourite was 20d. Was 3*/4 l* for me. Late commenting due to organising the Squash Tournament.

36. Michael
    Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezie – did the quick, the cryptic, Herculis, the Sudoku’s and the anagrams – it’s been all go!

• Jane
      Posted April 20, 2015 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

There speaks a man who didn’t make the golf course today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif