Prize Puzzle – 033

Monthly Prize Puzzle (February 2015)

Mousetrap by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (21st February 2015).

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. Franco
    Posted February 7, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

A very nice puzzle from the Grand Inquisitor.

I’ve filled the grid …and I’ve started counting. How many will I miss?

2. Jane
    Posted February 7, 2015 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Probably would have helped a lot if I’d come across said mousetrap before today! Not to worry – an enjoyable puzzle nonetheless and – with the help of Mr. Google – I’ve come up with a number of pieces. Who knows whether I’ve found them all!

Many thanks, Prolixic, I doubt that even BD’s comprehensive ‘lists’ will help anyone much with this one!

3. KiwiColin
    Posted February 7, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Well I have a completed grid which was good fun to solve and suspect that that is as far as I will get with this one. I think I know where I should be looking to compile my list but have no knowledge beyond that.
    Thanks Prolixic for a pleasant solve.

• KiwiColin
      Posted February 8, 2015 at 5:30 am | Permalink

After second or maybe third thoughts and a bit more research, I decided that submitting an answer was possible after all, and have duly done so.

Posted February 7, 2015 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I have three left in the NW quadrant yet to sort out and they’re all putting up a fight. Very quiet around here and the NTSSPP today.

• Jane
      Posted February 7, 2015 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

NTSPP is probably quiet because those who went to the birthday party were given a copy there.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted February 8, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I’ll happily exchange your SW corner for my NW.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Jane
        Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Come to think of it – I’m far from happy with my answer to 26a. Must investigate further.

• jean-luc cheval
          Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I got that one. I’m stuck with 16a and 16d and 21a only.

• Jane
            Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

*********************** [Sorry – no hints at all allowed on this one. BD]

• jean-luc cheval
              Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Good thing I didn’t explain 26a. Didn’t mean to get you in trouble. Thanks anyway. I shall send my grid with what I think are the right answers.

• Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Please don’t send the grid – just the number of pieces.

• Jane
              Posted February 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Apologies, BD – hadn’t realised the rules applied to MPP. Won’t do it again!

Posted February 8, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I now have a complete grid, the last one falling into place over my morning cuppa. I enjoyed the solve except for 16A, which seems rather weak (though since it’s Prolixic I expect it will turn out to be really clever and I’m just being dim!). I have heard of the theme, but that’s the extent of it, and I’m afraid that I’m not intrigued enough to go on line to see how many of my answers fit. 15A and 22A are the clues I liked best. Many thanks to Prolixic.

6. Hilary
    Posted February 8, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

From the queen of bung-it-in and hope for the best. I appear to have filled all the dear little squares in the grid but where I go from there is a mystery. When I have had another think I will come back to it. Saying that I thoroughly enjoyed the solving so thanks to setter and I now await the answers to find out just how silly I am.

Posted February 8, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Prolixic for the fun.
    Managed to complete the grid in the end.
    Liked the construction of 18d, 24a and 11a the most.
    3d also was quite a challenge.
    Must remember to keep it until the review.
    Have to admit that I read the synopsis of The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie as the theme first eluded me. But went through all the models of mousetraps (electric and mechanic) before posting my answer. Even then, I am not sure if I got near the right number.

8. andrewkiwi
    Posted February 9, 2015 at 9:14 am | Permalink

What a great puzzle!. Our family are afficianados of the mousetrap in question so once a couple of the answers got me onto the right track, it made several others fall into place when I couldn’t figure them out from the clues themselves. I’m still unsure about one or two parts so maybe my count’s not perfect, but I loved this challenge, and some really clever clues which rewarded perseverance. Many thanks to Prolixic.

9. Kitty
    Posted February 9, 2015 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Most enjoyable, thanks Prolixic :). I remember many smiles, though not which clues elicited them other than 24a. As for the pieces of the mousetrap, I think I have them all but we shall see…

10. Sprocker
    Posted February 9, 2015 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Very good fun, and dare I say it, possibly at the easier end of the spectrum for Prolixic I thought. Pretty happy that I’ve got the grid filled in correctly, very unsure if I’ve got the count right though.

Thanks Prolixic! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

11. Rahmat Ali
    Posted February 19, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

It was very enjoyable. I liked the clues of 1a, 11a, 21a, 24a, 3d and 18d the most. I am not sure whether the total number of pieces sent by me as the answer was correct or not but, thanks to Prolixic, I have now come to learn all the pieces of the mousetrap.