DT 27672 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27672 (Hints)

Don’t forget to have a go at our December Prize Puzzle!

Some hints follow.

1a    Attendant’s needed after petticoat sliding (8)
A boy attendant preceded by another name for a petticoat

9a    Minute device one could go off after a while (4,4)
That which can be measured in minutes followed by an explosive device

13a    Close shave going over the top? (5,3)
A cryptic definition of a hair style which is created without using scissors!

16a    Curtain evidentially drawn out at intervals (4)
Start with the second letter then take every third letter (at intervals) from [e]V[id]E[nt]I[al]L[y]

20a    Works to get across independent statement of grievance (6)
Some industrial works around I(ndependent)

23a    Unintended consequence of engineers striking (12)
The usual two-letter abbreviation for engineers followed by the section of an orchestra where the instruments are struck

26a    Its passengers don’t take flight (4)
Passengers in this are avoiding a flight of stairs!

28a    Kindness to pass over diamonds given by final bequest (8)
A straightforward charade of a two-letter verb meaning to pass or move, O(ver), D(iamonds) and a written document containing a final bequest

2d    Polish one’s speech? (8)
Polish, as spoken by the Poles, is an example (indicated by the question mark) of this

3d    Hull’s high-water mark (8,4)
A rather weak cryptic definition of a marking on a ship’s side showing the limit of legal submersion when loaded with cargo

5d    Case for the sewer (4)
… in which to keep needles and other small objects

7d    Object to delay, nothing’s to be held up (4)
The reversal (up in a down clue) of a delay around O (nothing)

12d    Born with real worries in relation to partner (7-2-3)
I don’t usually flag up anagrams in these hints, but I liked this one – worries indicates an anagram of BORN WITH REAL

14d    Business pace has two characters rising at another’s expense (5)
Start with a pace or step and move up (rising in a down clue) the last two characters in front of (at another’s expense) the third letter

17d    Roman underground terminus? (8)
A cryptic definition of a Roman underground burial chamber or last resting place (terminus)

19d    Appreciative for quantity of coal (8)
Could be the quantity of coal put in the fireplace

25d    Chorus starts to serenade in noisy group (4)
The initial letters of four words in the clue

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: cell+phrase+in flower=self-raising flour

1. DaveC
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Quite straightforward today except for 7d which held me up for some reason. The comma actually threw me. Thanks for the clue BD got it straight away after that.

• Caravaggio
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

My sentiments entirely. I’d breezed through the puzzle up to that point and then it was like running into the buffers… I was grateful for Dave’s explanation as well because I’d wasted too much time on that clue.

• Angel
        Posted December 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I’m with both of you re 7d being last to be solved but that is probably due to a possible double entendre in the clue.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Me too with 7d – I’d almost given up on it.

• Vancouverbc
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Same for me – last one in. Enjoyable puzzle in any event so thanks to the setter and BD for the review. Off to get the dogs walked before the rain returns but thankfully no strong winds which kept me busy yesterday removing large branches from the roof. I like the trees round our place but not when they become missiles.

• Hilary
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I have to admit to my eternal shame that even with BD’s magic clue I still did not get it so had to resort to thesaurus. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

2*/2.5* I found this a strange mixture today. Much of it was R&W but a handful of clues were more challenging. 14d was my last one in. Although the answer was obvious from the definition and checking letters, the parsing eluded me for quite some time.

I particularly liked 23a & 2d, but 12d was my one and only favourite.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – reminiscent of Saturday puzzles of old, certainly easier than the last two days. Like DaveC last one in 7d after much thought ! Thanks BD for the hints. Afternoon to be sitting in freezing fog watching “football” http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

4. Rod
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Reasonably straightforward except for 14d. There was no other word which would have fitted but I needed the hints to tell me why it was correct. Thanks BD

• Badger
      Posted December 14, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

It’s strange how 7d & 14d foxed most folk -including me!
      Agree it was a mixed bag -some v obscure. 23a caused me problems too.
      A few corrections necessary!

Thanks BD -how do you do it!

5. Mike
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

A nice way to spend an hour at the airport. Currently in St Marten bound for St Barths. Weather beautiful here. Not looking forward to getting home on Monday… Brrr

Like Dave C and Sweet W above 7d was last in but simple once seen. I though 8d was rather clever, and my favourite.

Thank you Big Dave and the setter.

6. williamus
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

You’re absolutely right about the weakness of 2d, but unfortunately my spelling let me down again, which held me up for a while. I found this an odd mix of the very straightforward (too straightforward if I’m honest) and the challenging. I know this is what Saturdays are meant to be like, but…

Some nice clues though – 1a and 2d in particular. Thanks to the setter and to BD.

Cheers

• Hilary
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

You need your own personal copy of the BRB to improve your spelling – if in doubt check it out. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

You’re a poet, and you don’t know it! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

7. Chris
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I juggled for ages with my answer to 14d, and was unable to see why it was right until giving up and resorting to the hint – so I am a very happy customer. (Before finding this site I would have found my answer was right 9 days later and still been none the wiser about where it came from.)
    The rest seemed pretty straightforward and good fun to do. 1*/3-4*.
    Many thanks to BD and the setter.

• Hilary
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

It is amazing how finding this site raises your confidence level, you bung something in and seeing whether or not you are correct helps you on to the next step of the ladder.

8. Angel
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable Saturday cakewalk which was a relief after yesterday’s battle. Liked 3d (came near to a spelling mistake!) and 19d. Thank you Mysteron and indeed BD for being there, as always. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, but I was beaten by 7d, needed the hint for that. Favourite was 3d. Was 2*/3* for me.

10. Dutch
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

This took me a little longer than most Saturday puzzles, but I blame that on my hangover. I did find it enjoyable
    Last one in was 13a
    Favourites include 23a, 26a, 16d

Many thanks setter and BD, love this site

Posted December 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I breezed through this until getting to 16a and 16d, missed the anagram, then I tumbled to the fact that I had spelt 3d incorrectly and then it all fell into place.
    I, too, needed the explanation for 14d as it had been a “bung in as it fits”.
    I rather liked 17d, clever, so it’s my fave.
    Thanks to setter for the entertainment, loved it, and to BD for the review, in particular the pic at 5d, it always comes up in crosswords and wondered what it looks like!

Posted December 13, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Now that I’ve seen a piccy of 5d I’m disillusioned – it’s nothing like I thought it was. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Me neither. I rather imagined a sort of pincushion thingy!

Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I’d pictured a pretty little sewing case made of lovely material with lots of space for pins and needles and lots of other bits and pieces. My paternal grandmother was a professional dressmaker – she encouraged me to sew – the downside was that whenever I’d made something she always looked at the inside of it – if it was messy it got 0/10.

• Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

They can come in all shapes! It’s just that I liked the one in the picture.

• Hilary
            Posted December 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Just as I thought they looked like, super picture.

12. MrsT
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this but some clues a bit straightforward. Does anyone know when the Christmas cryptic comes out? Is there one every year?

Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Some rather poor clues today. 2d, 9a, 13a, 17a. Very simplistic indeed. Or is it just me starting to turn into a pedantic Frenchman. Anyway, I didn’t see the challenge at all and should be in front of my TV watching Toulon beat Leicester. Many British people in Toulon this morning according to my friends there. So a big welcome to all our overseas visitors. Thanks to the setter and to BD for the review.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I thought this was fairly straightforward and then got completely stuck on the last few – 7d was my last one.
    20a and 17d each caused trouble with the other – if that makes any sense at all. I always forget that kind of ‘works’ so it had to end in an S, didn’t it? That messed up 20d. Those two took ages.
    BD called 28a a ‘straightforward’ charade – I agree with him that it was a charade . . .
    I needed the hint to understand 16a – not very good at that kind of thing.
    I liked 1 and 17a and 2 and 8d. My favourite was 12d.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD – I’m really sure that it should be snowing by now, and it’s cold enough today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

PS Very quiet here today – is there some important sporty something-or-other going on?
      Mary seems to have legged it again – maybe her internet is still being difficult or new rescue pup is taking up all her time.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I’m missing not only Mary but Poppy as well. Where are they all? I hope well.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I have just got back from a lovely visit to my sister and some of the family in Banbury. Now trying to catch up with crosswords, especially the one I’m blogging, before Strictly starts.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that the visit to your sister in Banbury was lovely – hope that all is OK there. Done back page (well, inside back page) cryptic and have had mega fight with NTSPP. Very cold here but big fire going, supper nearly ready – just about to watch dancing. Hope that you have a nice evening and enjoy the dancing.

15. Sarah
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

First time I have had the time to do the crossword in three weeks. Was glad it wasn’t too hard, but like Rabbit Dave I found this a curious mix. Still a Saturday off at this time of year for a musician is a rare blessing so I am glad this wasn’t all r & w or so hard I couldn’t get started. Thanks to BD and the setter

16. SheilaP
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Once we got one or two answers in we managed most of the rest, but like some others have found, 7 down proved a bit of a challenge, and we had to resort to the hints to finish. Thank you to the Saturday setter and to BD. Absolutely perishing here on the East coast today.

17. Michael
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I’ve been under the weather with a really bad case of man-flu – thankfully my nose has stopped running now and I was at last able to get my head straight enough to concentrate on something.

Thankfully this one wasn’t too stressful and I got through it without resorting to the blog – I must be getting better in more ways than one – thank god!

Onward and upward – roll on Christmas! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted December 13, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Good for you, keep it up!

Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I hope the man-flu gets better – how is your wife?

• Michael
        Posted December 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

She gave it to me – only mine is much worse than her’s – she’s fine now!

• Hilary
      Posted December 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Atishooooooo! You are welcome to a couple of my tissues.

18. Jerome
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

As well as others I struggled with 7d and needed the hint to get the answer. The clue I really struggled with was 20a – not only a new word to me but one that sounds wrong somehow. Even after the hint, I had to Google the word before I believed that was the answer!

Ho Hum, still enjoyable. ***/**** for me.

19. Scottie
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Found this one a tad easier than some lately but, still don’t understand the second and third letters of 15a. Can anyone help with a hint please?

• Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

For 15a, look up “flower” in The Usual Suspects (link in the prologue).

• Michael
        Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I had an eccentric Geography Teacher who used to do the lesson in two halves, the first half was about the topic being dealt with and the second half was him dictating notes for us to right down.

He had a series of phrases he used that have stuck in my mind forty five years later – one of his favourites was ‘******************************’

Imagine a man speaking a bit like John Major and you’d have him to a ‘T’.

20. Outnumbered
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Another vote for the “strange mixture” 3 words or phrases I didn’t know, two of which were cryptic clues (2d,13a) and a couple of hard letter movement clues meant I needed a couple of hints today…

21. Hilary
    Posted December 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I had hoped that I was going to be able to report that I had actually managed to complete a whole crossword without any electronic help until I hit – yes you are correct – 7d. Thesaurus came to my rescue at the eleventh hour better luck tomorrow. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif .Thanks to BD and setter I will persevere and get there one day.

Posted December 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

2*/3*, l suppose. 2d had me foxed until l saw what it had to be, and then the penny dropped. It’s very simple, but clever, so gets my vote as favourite clue. Thanks to the setter, and to BD for the hints.

23. Jennifer
    Posted December 14, 2014 at 6:47 am | Permalink

I just can’t follow the hint for 14d. I got what I think is the answer but just can’t get why. I understand ‘business’ and think I have the right synonym for pace but can’t get the rest. I don’t want to submit the puzzle- it’s just for my peace of mind please.

• Posted December 14, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jennifer

I’ve said as much as I am prepared to say on that one. Try reading the clue again.

24. titchy dave
    Posted December 14, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Like many above 7d was the last in and needed Big Dave’s hint. Even then took me another 5 minutes before the penny dropped. I think the difficulty was in the meaning “object.” I had taken the first two words in the clue “object to” as the meaning, and even with the hint the answer is not one of the immediate meanings that springs to mind. Clue 22d took some pondering time as well. I actually found it a bit more taxing than your average Saturday puzzle.

Lastly although I got 14d and knew it must be correct, didn’t understand why until I read the hint.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted December 14, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

We seem to have a proliferation of Daves on this blog: Big Dave, Little Dave, Titchy Dave, Dave C, Rabbit Dave, and maybe more. Any suggestions for a collective noun for a group of Daves?

Posted December 14, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Don’t tempt me! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif Tilsit is a Dave too.

• Posted December 14, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

How about a genius of Daves?

Posted December 14, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted December 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Well I, for one, am not going to disagree with that suggestion.

• Owdoo
        Posted December 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

When they all comment in succession it could be a wave of Daves?

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted December 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

• Louis de Broglie
            Posted December 16, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

How about ‘nothing better to do’ Daves?

25. Rufus the Dog
    Posted December 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Only got around to this today. Not too bad except, for some reason, 7d and nearly spelling 3d incorrectly

R.

26. Ginny
    Posted December 14, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Than you, setter and BD. I managed to complete this without hints apart from seeing 17d on the way to the comments, and to parse 15a. Last in were 2d and 13a. Some use of Wikipedia along the way. Thanks.

27. Alistair
    Posted December 15, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I have noticed that when you hover over a picture in the hint above, the actual answer is given for the clue with the picture.