Prize Puzzle – December 2014

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 31 (December 2014)

A Puzzle by Alchemi

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (20th December 2014).

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted December 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

This one took overnight cogitation for the last answer to yield. I won’t say which one it was. An enjoyable challenge to sort out.
    Thanks Alchemi.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted December 6, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Naughty naughty, I am sure it’s 23d. That’s the only one missing for me. Just two letters… So annoying. Anyway, we live too far to get a prize. By the way I love the fact that it’s a pangram non pangrammatic.

Posted December 6, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Well that is it! alea jacta est and hope for the best. Joking apart I found this crossword a lovely challenge with some great clues But I am sure BD will have something to say about 7d. It’s just the kind of thing that makes him cringe. Thanks to Alchemi.

3. Rahmat Ali
    Posted December 7, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Fairly easy crossword with some wonderful clues. Thanks to Alchemi for such wonderful clues. I particularly liked 22a, 24a, 25a, 1d and 11d. Although 7d kept me engaged for quite some time and I was looking for a second answer, still I could not find any and I’m pretty sure about the one that I have sent as my answer.

• Posted December 7, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Rahmat.

The instructions clearly state :

“This is not a pangrammatic grid. Solvers should provide the word which can be made from the unused letters.”

and furthermore:

“Solvers should enter just the one word in the answer box below. ”

Not only is it not necessary to submit your solution, you have failed to provide the required word.

4. Rahmat Ali
    Posted December 7, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I have now understood and sent the required word. Thanks to BD. I hope my earlier entry stands cancelled.

• Posted December 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Earlier entry has been cancelled!

5. Hilary
    Posted December 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

My very first effort at Prize crossword, needless to say it was a real struggle for a novice cruciverbalist. It took ages before I started but then a super anagram kicked me off. Just off for a lie-down. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

6. Beet
    Posted December 9, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink

There’s a couple I’m not sure of, but I’ve answered based on my best guesses. In any case, I won the prize last month so I’ve entered just for fun and if I’m first out of the hat then please pick someone else. Fun crossword and my favourite was 6d.

7. Catnap
    Posted December 12, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I’ve completed this, but, there are two which I have found difficult to parse. Nonetheless, I found this puzzle both absorbing and enjoyable and thought it cleverly constructed. Plenty of fun clues, but my fave was 6d.

Very big thanks to Alchemi, and I look forward to the review in due course.