Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

We have a fairly solid puzzle today – no great laughs but nothing to complain about (I’ve stopped complaining about the use of ‘on’ to mean ‘precedes’ in across clues such as 10a because it occurs so frequently). Do let us know what you thought of it and how you got on.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so try not to do it by accident.

Across Clues

1a Trinkets from Beirut Joe and I distributed (10)
BIJOUTERIE – an anagram (distributed) of BEIRUT JOE and I. Easy if you know the French word for a jewel, a bit trickier otherwise.

6a Voice of inferior quality? Sounds like it (4)
BASS – this sounds like an adjective meaning of inferior quality or shoddy.

9a I must be bound by discretion, that’s understood (5)
TACIT – I goes inside (bound by) a word meaning discretion.

10a Restore control on land (9)
REINSTATE – a verb to control or restrain (a horse, for example) is followed by a land or nation.

12a One who’s practical about belonging to the most famous group (7)
REALIST – a preposition meaning about or concerning followed by the description (1-4) used to describe a top-level celeb.

13a Gather organic fuel round lake (5)
PLEAT – this gather is a fold in cloth. Vegetable matter which can be used as fuel contains L(ake).

15a Royal house to deliver missing diamonds (7)
HANOVER – our royal house from 1714 to 1901 comes from a phrasal verb to deliver or pass across (4,4) without the abbreviation used for diamonds in card games. We never covered this royal house in history lessons at school, our history master maintaining that anything after 1714 was ‘current affairs’.

17a Check light in assembly room (7)
CHAMBER – the abbreviation for check in chess followed by one of the lights used to control the flow of traffic.

19a Framework of church, where Umbrian saint was born, incomplete (7)
CHASSIS – an abbreviation for church is followed by the name of the place in Umbria where the patron saint of animals was born, without its final I (incomplete).

21a Military governor, crossing sort of square, produces weapon (7)
SHOTGUN – a military ruler in feudal Japan contains (crossing) the (single letter) square used in technical drawing.

22a Money from draw club’s leader invested (5)
LUCRE – this money (often described as filthy) comes from a verb to draw or entice with the leading letter of club inserted (invested).

24a Single out hard school subject (7)
ENGLISH – an anagram (out) of SINGLE followed by the abbreviation used for hard (in categorising pencils).

27a Put in different words, one leaving school’s behind schedule (9)
TRANSLATE – remove the I (one in Roman numerals) from a verb to school or coach and add the ‘S and an adjective meaning behind schedule.

28a Man seizing Ecstasy easily obtained (5)
CHEAP – an informal word for a man contains (seizing) E(cstasy).

29a New love left abandoned for goddess (4)
NIKE – The winged goddess of victory in Greek mythology comes from N(ew) followed by a verb to love or be partial to with the L(eft) taken away.

30a Shout in pub from darts loser, possibly (4,6)
LAST ORDERS – an anagram (possibly) of DARTS LOSER.

Down Clues

1d Stooge, nevertheless last to protest (4)
BUTT – in a comedy duo one of the pair is often the stooge, the straight one who is the object of the other’s jokes. A conjunction meaning nevertheless is followed by the last letter of protest.

2d Shake with anger, initially, ringing about tree (9)
JACARANDA – the tree was fairly obvious from the first letter but the wordplay required a bit of thought. We need to string together a verb to shake or jolt, a conjunction meaning with and the initial letter of A(nger). That all goes round (ringing) a two-letter abbreviation meaning about or approximately.

3d Extremist based in Kabul, trafficking (5)
ULTRA – hidden (based) in the clue.

4d Previous invention featured in rare broadcast (7)
EARLIER – a fictitious invention is contained (featured) in an anagram (broadcast) of RARE.

5d I do it wrongly, in charge, being foolish (7)
IDIOTIC – a very simple anagram (wrongly) of I DO IT followed by the abbreviation for in charge.

7d Saw commercial decline (5)
ADAGE – a charade of the abbreviation for a commercial and a verb to decline or wither.

8d Carol holds mixed-up mass for baking (10)
SWELTERING – this sort of baking generally leads to tabloid headlines like ‘What a scorcher!’. A verb to carol or trill contains (holds) a word meaning a confused unordered mass.

11d Parson surprisingly accompanying old singer (7)
SOPRANO – an anagram (surprisingly) of PARSON followed by O(ld).

14d Explorer in hut spilled the beans (10)
SHACKLETON – charade of a hut or rudimentary cabin and a phrasal verb (3,2) meaning spilled the beans.

16d Odd verses, beginning of prayer included, in evensong (7)
VESPERS – an anagram (odd) of VERSES with the beginning letter of prayer inserted.

18d Boss from Lancashire, perhaps popular at first (3,6)
BIG CHEESE – Lancashire here is an example (perhaps) – the setter could have used Cheshire or even Caerphilly. Precede that (at first) with an adjective meaning popular or commercially successful.

20d Composer bad at names (7)
SMETANA – the name of the Czech composer of operas such as ‘The Bartered Bride’ is an anagram (bad) of AT NAMES.

21d Part of street housing e.g. soldiers (7)
SEGMENT – the abbreviation of street houses EG (from the clue) and ordinary soldiers.

23d Conservative standing is eccentric (5)
CRANK – the single-letter abbreviation for Conservative followed by a standing or grade.

25d Suffer at home, remedy falling short (5)
INCUR – an adverb meaning at home is followed by a remedy without its last letter (falling short).

26d Work in shop, usually (4)
OPUS – hidden.

I liked 8d and 18d but my favourite today was 2d. Which one(s) did you like?

Today’s Quickie Pun: JAMB + PACT = JAM-PACKED

1. Ally
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Only one problem today 7d and I am still not sure why that is the answer. I liked 2d and 14d Thanks Gazza and the setter.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

A saw is an adage or proverb – AD + AGE.

• Ally
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

2. dutch
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Childhood memories! I remember red-blossomed 2d trees in Nairobi, and i remember shop signs labelled 1a in Beirut (though I guess the setter didn’t need them to be there). Hence 1a and 2d are my favourites today. Memories did not extend to Kabul (3d), where I have never been.

fairly straightforward puzzle with some lovely clues, top half went in very quickly and slightly slower on the bottom half. Last entries were 23d (eccentric) and then 29a (goddess) which dropped in as soon as the checking letter appeared

many thanks Setter and Gazza

Posted October 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I don’t think the jacaranda comes in red, maybe what you remember were spathodias, which are very red and common in Kenya. Remember the Elspeth Huxley book The Flame Trees of Thika?

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Ooh – first today but I bet I won’t be by the time I’ve fiddled around doing this and that.
    No crossword is ever a complete ‘write-in’ for me but this was about as close as one ever gets so 1* difficulty and 3+ for enjoyment.
    I did have to just check that 1a was a real word although I do know the French word for a jewel.
    I’d never heard of the 29a goddess and 2d was rather yes, but why and how, for a while.
    I thought there were quite a few anagrams but that suits me fine – I like them.
    I liked 13 and 17a and 18 and 23d. My favourite was 14d.
    With thanks to Mr Tuesday Ron and to gazza.
    Having just spotted who the Toughie setter is today I might have to have a go – I like his crosswords and it beats the hell out of doing the things that I ought to be doing.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

OK – maybe I’m not the first after all. I didn’t want to be anyway! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• pommers
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

The Toughie’s pretty good and not too taxing. There’s one of his in the FT as well under the name SLEUTH.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks pommers – heading in that direction now.

• Expat Chris
          Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Ooh, thanks for the head’s up on the FT. I didn’t know the crosswords were free. Lovely to have another source to delve into.

• spindrift
            Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I’m sure Hoskins won’t mind so here you go: http://www.hoskinscrosswords.com/

Also the Grauniad puzzles are free & it is usually Rufus who sets Monday’s puzzle so that’s another endorsement.

• Rick
              Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Rufus went AWOL yesterday but the Chifonie replacement was pretty good. I find the Grauniad puzzles the most variable, both in style and difficulty, in what appears to be a quite random way. The comments are often hilariously pretentious.
              The FT is usually worth a go, with some of our regulars popping up there.

• andy
          Posted October 28, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Pommers, Independent 8748 / Anax today was pretty good too. Deans 100th Indy puzzle

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Thank you setter- either I was on the right wavelength or it wasn’t too difficult ! But either way I enjoyed it. A new goddess for me at 29a and thanks Gazza for your explanation of 2d. It really couldn’t be anything else, but I was lazy and waited for your decode. Thanks for the review, hints and pics Gazza. Crossing the border into Yorkshire today for a bit of “fine dining”. I have to confess that when it comes to culinary matters Yorkshire wins the Roses battle comfortably in spite of 18d http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

1.5*/3*. I found this a straightforward but nevertheless enjoyable puzzle with the single exception of 2d which for me was an incomprehensible clue with a very obscure answer. Shock, horror! I was forced to use a Crossword Solver and found only one word which fitted with the checking letters which happens to be a tree so I bunged it in.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza, particularly for the parsing of 2d.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

It began well enough, but slowed down to a crawl in the end.8d was my last . It is very dark today and pouring rain and an 8d day is almost impossible to imagine.Favourite 23d.Thanks to all concerned.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Am I the only fool who bunged in Windsor at first for 15A based on previously getting 2D and 4D? Soon sorted, though. Have lovely memories of 2D from Australia. Pleasant puzzle and not that taxing except for a bit of thought needed to parse 17A (well, it’s been 36 years and we call it orange over here). Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

• Heno
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Windsor crossed my mind too, but luckily I didn’t put it in.

• Rick
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I did for the 30 seconds it took to spot it didn’t have the required V in it. The joy of iPad solving is that such blunders are quickly reversed.

• Vancouverbc
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

No, I also put Windsor in before I realized it couldn’t be correct. I liked this puzzle but 2d was and still is a mystery to me. I only got this because of google. Thanks to the setter and Gazza for the review.

8. Tony
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle for me (I agree with ***/***). In general clues with plants and tress make me sweat and today’s was certainly no exception, and not helped in that my school-boy French has long since left the building. Thanks to all.

9. Clarky
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one with the top half going in quite easily. However, the lower half caused more trouble. **/*** for difficulty but a solid *** for enjoyment.
    Favourite was 4d. Simple but effective.
    Thanks to setter and Gazza for help on the last ones in.

10. skempie
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

No big problems today although 2D did make me wonder why (as it seems to have done for others) and (for some reason) 24A tok e a while – just couldn’t get satrap out of my head d’oh.

11. Baa
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I got 2d straight away, having got the first letter. But I still don’t understand why, even having read the explanation. I’m having a thicko day today. (I did know the goddess though, so I can score some Brownie points for that!).

Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

2d is JAR (shake) + AND (with) + A(nger) with CA (about) inserted – so JA CA R AND A.

12. Boxy
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

17a Amber = Light?

It’s the amber light not the amber. Very dodgy.

13. Angel
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

A speedy solve today with just a couple of hiccups. Settled for reinstall (sp!) for 10a which caused problem with 8d. Briefly tried to mispell Massenet to fit 20d. Thanks Mr. Ron for an easy ride and Gazza for your help in parsing 2d (glad I’m not alone). Fav was probably 14a. */***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, I did ok, but was left with 4 unsolved. Eventually got 1a,then 14d, followed by 19a. Was beaten by 2d, had never heard of this tree and couldn’t fathom the wordplay. Favourite was 14d, was 3*/3* for me. Visiting Chesham for the first time, lovely sunny day.

15. Jane
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I found a lot to like in this one – 1a is such a lovely word (well, it just rolls nicely off the tongue!).
    Have to confess to using Mr. Google for 20d and the goddess took a while, although I have a distant memory of someone explaining the origin of the brand name.
    Yes, Chris, I tried for Windsor at first and then, having settled that one, became obsessed with ‘shed’ as part of 14d. Talk about missing the blindingly obvious!
    Doubt that I would ever have got the correct parsing for 2d, many thanks for the enlightenment, gazza. Those short abbreviations often cause me grief.
    All done in a fairly reasonable time (by my standards!) and I think 14d has to get my ‘favourite’ vote for the day.
    Many thanks to gazza and…… to the setter, I like your style. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
    Off out into the rain now but, following Kath’s comment, I just might give the Toughie a whirl on my return. Nothing like being optimistic!

Posted October 28, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Rain? Oh dear. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif Poor you.
      Beautiful sunny day with blue sky and 20C in Oxford – silly really – it’ll be November in four days. My delphiniums are http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif and flowering again.

16. Rick
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

One of those irritating puzzles where the last two took as long as the rest of the grid (the 29/20 crossers). Got the composer by playing Google Bingo with the possible combinations but found love = like a bit of a stretch for 29a. From what I remember (just) of life as a single man saying ‘I like you’ to a girl was fairly safe. ‘I love you’ on the other hand opened a whole new can of worms…

17. Arthur Dent
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

1a was my first in – I didn’t even know that I knew the word, but it must have been lurking somewhere deep in my subconscious. The same could not be said of 2d. I have never heard of the tree and, like so many others, needed Gazza to explain it. I also needed Gazza’s explanation for 8d.

Can someone explain what “assembly” is doing in 17a? I suppose one could argue that it is telling us to assemble the other two parts – but that hardly seems necessary. I am not aware of why the answer might be called an “assembly room” (or am I missing something) so the word seems redundant. Indeed “Check light in room” would seem to read better too…

Anyway, many thanks to the setter for an enjoyable romp, and to Gazza for explaining my answers.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

For chamber the BRB has “the place where an assembly meets” – a council chamber or the chamber of the House of Commons for example.

• Hanni
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I took it to mean Law Chambers.

18. SheilaP
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword today **/*** for us. We got 2 down straight away, but didn’t know why, but we did know the goddess, partly because of the well known sports firm. Thank you to the setter and to Gazza.

19. pommers
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Well that didn’t put up much of a fight! Fun though so it’s */**** from us.

I liked 2d, as there’s a whole load of them in the village and they look fantastic when in bloom, but 7d is favourite for its simplicity.

Thanks to setter and Gazza.

20. Jill
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

1a and 2d (lovely words) fell into place very quickly and I was off and running. Clever clues gave much enjoyment so I’d give the setter */**** for an enjoyable puzzle.

21. Gwizz
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Like several people here, I started off well and then slowed down considerably for the lower half. 21a was my favourite clue and yes, WINDSOR seemed like a good suggestion at the time for 15a! Thinks… I must read the clue, I must read the clue….
    Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza for the revue.

22. Jay legs
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, like everyone else I got 2d but the reasons why were convoluted to say the least ***/**

23. Hanni
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

**/****. That was great fun, though 2d had me mystified. Utterly mystified. 1a is such a lovely word and set everything going well. Other favourites include 8d as I took ‘baking’ to mean ‘cooking’ so that held me up a little. I did think of our resident publican when 30a went in. Hope he enjoyed Van Morrison.
    Thanks to my grandmother teaching me every Norse, Greek, Roman or other such deities, I actually knew 30a! Those Gods finally come in handy when crosswording.
    Hope everyone is well today?
    Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for blogging. :-)

• Jane
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Hanni – I was with you on the ‘cooking’ for quite a while!
      If you’ve got time, give the Toughie a try – I almost finished it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Hanni
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane, I think I just might. I forgot to tell you yesterday that after doing the back page I had some time on my hands. So I thought I would have a go at the Toughie. You know that imaginary Toughie that is never on a Monday. You can see why I often need a corner now. It’s my own fault, technically I was avoiding doing some paperwork.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I was very silly and wrote the J in 1a like a T, thus it was my last one in, not realising my mistake until the very end; even sillier when you consider we had one in our front yard in Jamaica.
    Otherwise, I gave this * for difficulty as I was right on wavelength, and I enjoyed it.
    I did remember the French for jewel and so 1a went in immediately.
    I loved 21a but my fave has to go to 14d.
    Thanks to setter, I like your puzzles, and to Gazza for the review and untangling some clues, in particular 2d!

25. Chris
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Having never heard of 1a, I had to work out a likely word from the anagram and guessed the bit after bijou. Liked 2d as a clue and it brought back happy memories of the beautiful blue flowering trees in Perth. Not quite my cup of tea otherwise, 2*/3*.
    Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Parsing 2d took us longer to sort out than it did to fill in the grids for both this puzzle and the Toughie. After having wrestled with two Elgar puzzles fairly recently, we did wonder whether he ever submits a “Mr Ron” puzzle as the 2d wordplay felt so like what he can do to torment us. We have to call it our favourite because of the challenge it gave us. Good fun.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Ditto. Last one in was 2d which took me quite a while. Didn’t need to look at the review for once although I do like gazza’s Cartesian explanations. Thanks to the setter and gazza.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure my explanations have never been called Cartesian before. Wasn’t Descartes the bloke who said ‘cogito ergo sumo’ (I think I’ll be a wrestler)?

• 2Kiwis
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

You can probably hear our laughter despite being so far away.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

I quote as you often do, from Larousse dictionaire: Cartesian: Logical, rational, methodical, clear and rigorous.

• pommers
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Descates was the guy who went into a restaurant and was asked by the waiter to choose from an extensive menu. He replied “I can’t think” – and promptly disappeared. :lol:

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

And BD is much more Orwellian in his approach. Sending people to room 101. I’m either waiting for moderation or sent to bad boy’s corner.

• Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Would I do that?

• jean-luc cheval
            Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

I saw on the blog how most people were so scared of you. Fear the unknown. You are like a god.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

On today’s toughie I thanked Mungo and Jerry for the review.Tomorrow being Wednesday it should be our 2kiwis but if they sign Fox and Franz Josef I shall recognise them.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

We reckon that is a pretty cool comment Jean-Luc. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

29. rodgergibbs
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

2 down. Worst clue ever. Got answer straight away but jeez!

• andy
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Why? Took a a while to parse but cannot see that it is the worst clue ever.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I suspect this dreadful thing was originally aimed at the Church Times judging by the number of ecclesiastical references. Shame because there were one or two good clues such as 21d and 21a but most of the rest are best left behind.
    Poor!
    Thx to Gazza for at least attempting to unravel 2d which must be one of the most contrived clues for a long time.

• Jane
      Posted October 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

And here was me, thinking that it was only Mr. T who made you cross. I guess it’s just as well we all have different opinions, otherwise there’d only be a very few setters – with a lot of work on their hands!
      Cheer up, Brian, maybe tomorrow’s offering will suit you better. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

You’re such a grump. I can only see two ‘ecclesiastical’ references (19a and 16d). I’ve put your ‘ecclesiastical’ in quotes because I think both those clues and answers are general knowledge. Cheer up!

• Posted October 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I thought the envelope should have been addressed to The Daily Mail!

31. Outnumbered
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

*/** and still not a fan of this setter.

Posted October 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I suppose 2.5*/3* is about the right level. No doubt about my favourite – it can only be 14d, a man who to me has always exemplified true leadership. I hadn’t heard of 1a, but came up with the right word after a little thought. I thought 8d was good as well. Thanks to the setter, whoever it is, and to Gazza for the review.

33. RobinNewman