Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ***

One of the things that we really look forward to in the Spring is eating the first asparagus of the season. We have a huge bunch sitting in the fridge ready for tonight’s dinner. YUM.

Jay has given us another enjoyable puzzle this week, with plenty of picture opportunities too.

Please leave a comment telling us what you think of it.

1a A rep’s new role as potential replacement (5,4)
SPARE PART : An anagram (new) of A REP’S plus a synonym for a role on stage perhaps.

6a Fifty per cent of cost doubled with a drink (5)
COCOA : Half of the word cost, twice, then A from the clue.

9a Low points for the elk? (5)
MOOSE : What a cow might do then two compass points.
images

10a Source of crude pictures? (3,6)
OIL PAINTS : A cryptic definition of a common medium used by artists.

11a Gets very angry about expensive car crushers (5-7)
STEAM-ROLLERS : A word for ‘gets very angry’ around (about) a luxury car.

14a Counters which are found in chemistry lab? (7)
RETORTS : Pieces of laboratory glassware.
images

16a Perfect state of vehicle found in revolutionary Iran (7)
NIRVANA : Three letter vehicle is found inside an anagram (revolutionary) of IRAN.

17a Very nearly returned for a coat (3)
MAC : Find a (4,4) phrase meaning returned and remove the last letter of the first word (nearly). This was the last one for us to sort out and by far the most difficult to hint.

18a Two-faced drunk, dismissing women actually (2,5)
DE FACTO : Anagram (drunk) of TWO-FACED with W(omen) removed.

20a Save to cover river passage (7)
EXCERPT : A word meaning save or put aside with R(iver) included.

22a Watch kept on potential nuclear evils? (12)
SURVEILLANCE : Anagram (potential) of NUCLEAR EVILS.

26a Decoration for navy chaps after trouble west of Taiwan (9)
ADORNMENT : Word for trouble, then two letter ‘navy’, word for ‘chaps’ and first letter (west) of Taiwan.

27a Ring area supplying gas (5)
OZONE : The round letter then a word for area or region.

28a Given medicine, does drunk do without love? (5)
DOSED : Anagram (drunk) of DOES then DO without the round letter.

29a Heir‘s triumph, with York defenceless (9)
SUCCESSOR : A word meaning triumph followed by middle two letters of York (defenceless).

1d Total paid initially for oil deposit (4)
SUMP : Word for total then P(aid).

2d Looking amazed by a good turn around (4)
AGOG : A from the clue, G(ood) then the reversal of a word for a turn.

3d English go in to support victory for this horse! (7)
EVENTER : E(nglish) V(ictory) then a word to ‘go in’.

4d Two answers about memory evoking smell (5)
AROMA : The memory is in your computer and is preceded and followed by A(nswer).

5d Forbearance to messy cleaner? (9)
TOLERANCE : TO from the clue then an anagram (messy) of CLEANER.

6d Creep caught fishing boat losing time (7)
CRAWLER : Replace the first letter of a fishing boat with C(aught).

7d Bearers of light are able to read freely about party (10)
CANDELABRA : Word meaning ‘able to’, anagram (freely) of READ with a political party included.
images

8d Idiot workers must accept first people who help (10)
ASSISTANTS : Word for ‘idiot’, abbreviation for ‘first’ then six-legged workers.

12d Girl holding up train? (10)
BRIDESMAID : Cryptic definition of a ‘match’ assistant.
images

13d Stick jumper and manuscript in teachers’ quarters (10)
STAFFROOMS : Synonym for a stick, jumper from across the Tasman and abbreviation for manuscript.

15d Burns rot on board ship (9)
SMOULDERS : A word for decay inside two letter abbreviation for a ship.

19d Polished and inclined to support Conservative (7)
CLEANED : C(onservative) then inclined like the Tower at Pisa.

21d Revolution covering working with meteorological phenomenon (7)
CYCLONE : A two letter word for working inside a word meaning turning (revolution).

23d A heartless tyrant in charge of Greece! (5)
ATTIC : A from the clue, first and last letters (heartless) of tyrant then abbreviation for ‘in charge’.

24d Weapons which are put in violin cases? (4)
BOWS : Things that go with arrows and violins.
imagesimages

25d Energy required in pitch and run (4)
TEAR : E(nergy) inside synonym for pitch as found on roads.

The ones we liked best today were 11a and 20a.

The Quick Crossword pun: dare+reef+harm=dairy farm

1. kermitthepilot
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

A quick solve for me today, **/** thanks to setter and 2 kiwis. Just needed a hint to remind me of the ‘other’ meaning of 23D! No laugh-out-loud moments today hence ** , felt a bit mechanical.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

My rating is 1*/3* for a straightforward but enjoyable puzzle. My only delay was in parsing 17a for which, once I had got the last letter, I adopted Miffypops’ philosophy of bunging it in. The penny finally dropped after I had completed the rest of the puzzle, and this cunning clue with a humble three letter answer gets my vote as favourite today.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis.

P.S. 2Kiwis, I finally parsed 17a as taking the second word of the two word phrase for “returned” as an instruction to reverse the first word having removed its final letter – or is that overcomplicating things?

• Kitty
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I think you’re right in your 17a parsing. I don’t think there’s a simpler way of looking at it. Very, very sneaky, being a combination of forward and reverse clueing!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Ah thanks. That’s a much better way of putting what we were trying to say. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

3. Kfb
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thanks once again for the crossword and explanations . Not too difficult today but 3d stumped me . Loved 9a .

A “tutu” from me .

4. karl
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

got stuck . put in oil canvas as two of the checking letters worked and i hadnt got 7 down. anyone else have canvas?

5. Graham
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Nice fairly easy solve bar 14A which in hind sight shouldn’t have given me a problem, I never did take too much notice in science lessons.Many thanks to Jay & the two k’s for the review.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Thank you Jay, good fun and not too hard. I am ashamed to say that I needed the hint for 25d to point me in the right direction. so many thanks 2Kiwis for your review and hints. Enjoy the asparagus – with a poached egg ? We always look forward to our Spring visit to Suffolk when we occasionally get fresh asparagus. This year was OK, but the last 3 years the soil has been too cold and when we have left around 10th/11th May the shoots have still not appeared.

7. Kitty
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Yay! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif Thank you Jay! A puzzle I could do, which was also most enjoyable and stiff enough to be satisfying. Again today, I spent a bit more time fitting it all in in the lower half.

17a slipped in easily, but now I’m pondering it again. Doesn’t seem to quite fit for me. The way I’d originally seen it would have “returned” doing a double duty, so I was wrong there.

I particularly liked 10a, and 23d, which should be the favourite. For reasons of taste, my actual favourite is 6a. Mmmm! I… Want… Chocolate! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_razz.gif

My thanks to the 2Kiwis for the clear and well-illustrated hints. Off in a minute for a lunchtime run. I expect to get pretty wet and filthy, but it’s all good fun.

8. Miffypops
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

New meaning at 14ac but I never attended any science classes (or much else) once I learnt truancy and met Trudy The Rudy. Bunged the right answer in anyway. No driving today. Being driven which is worse. Ta to all especially the Asparagus Eaters and Jay.

• Jane
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Are you a back-seat driver, by any chance? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

9. Michael
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

A first today in that I got the Quick Crossword pun before doing any other clues – very strange.

• Wayne
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Notice that the Telegraph gave yesterdays answer for the Quickie as ‘Spacelab’, they obviously missed the 3rd word (7a) =oratory.

10. dutch
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

fairly straightforward except for the tricky 17a for coat, which i found a bit naughty. I liked the girl train holdup (12d), the two-faced drunk (18a), the elk (9a) and quite a few others.

Toughie has some devilish wordplay today

Many thanks Jay and two Kiwis

11. George
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

It all started off as a write in in the top half for me – then I ground to a halt in the bottom half. But, once I had a few more checking letters I finished without too much trouble.

I would dispute that14a is used much in chemistry these days – I think may be alchemistry might have been closer! The only time I saw one of these was in high school lab class.

Not being a horsey person, 3d was a new term for me.

So I would rate it as 2.5*/3*

12. BigBoab
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay for an entertaining if not very difficult crossword and to the two Kiwis for a lovely review.

13. Angel
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Nicely challenging – thanks Jay. NW corner last to go in. In the absence of much light relief, I liked 9a, 10a and 20a. Thanks 2 Kiwis for being there with hints in case of need. I envy you your asparagus at this time of year particularly as I no longer have a kitchen garden and have moved from Suffolk where there is always an abundance available from specialist growers. The imports from Far East, etc. don’t begin to taste the same. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

14. Gwizz
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I have never understood the economics of the asparagus imported from – Peru!
    As to the crossword, a good challenge with 12d being my favourite. I had forgotten the other meaning of 23d of course.
    Thanks to Jay and well done The Kiwis for the revue. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

15. Chris
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Failed miserably to get 12d and did the obligatory admiring groan once I realised what the answer was. I think I had seen a similar clue before – makes the shame worse!
    Thanks to the 2K and the setter for an enjoyable puzzle and review.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Last in was 14a, been many a long year since any of my labs had any of these! Stupidly 11a held me up although for the life of me I can’t think why!
    Not hugely difficult but just goes to show they don’t have to be to be enjoyable.
    Fav clue today was 7d.
    Thx to all.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I agree with 2* difficulty but would give it an extra * for enjoyment so 4* from me.
    It might almost have been a 1* difficulty but I got completely stuck on a few – 12 and 24d (for no obvious reason) and 14a which I’d never heard of and was my last one.
    I was also a bit slow to get the 22a anagram.
    I liked 22 and 26a and 5 and 13d. My favourite was 9a – I loved that one.
    With thanks to Jay and the Kiwis – I envy your Spring even more than your asparagus – hope that you both enjoy both.
    Might try the Toughie . . .

18. Barry Morgan
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Well I’m feeling very proud managed it without help from here! Last was last 25d took a while for the penny to drop. Thanks for all of your previous help tho’!

19. Rick
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Just about as straightforward as they come for me today. I was a bit slow to get the passage in 20a but nothing else sticks in the memory, so just 1*/2* from a dank and drizzly Wiltshire.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. Would agree with the ratings. My only hold up was with 15d, just couldn’t think of the middle bit, needed electronic help on that. Favourite was 22a, super anagram. Was 2*/3* for me. Chores getting in the way of the puzzles. Very nice crossword.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think this was dull by any means! There were many fun clues, how can you beat things like 9a, 17a and 12d, just to name a few. I was right on wavelength here, but I completely missed 25d, didn’t even see it tucked away in the corner! Very silly. Thanks to Jay and to the 2Ks for an entertaining review. Fave was 12d.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Easy enough, no real http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gifhold ups, except for 12d. Thanks Kiwis and Jay.

23. Hanni
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

***/****. Absolutely enjoyed today’s offering. 9 and 11a were marvellous fun but the my favourite was 12a. I had to use the Miffypops rule for 17a and certainly needed an explanation for it.
    So thank you to Jay and the 2Kiwis for blogging. I’m very jealous about your asparagus. It’s a real favourite of mine, especially with Eggs Benedict!
    I get to spend this evening making a kite, aka finishing my child’s homework. I’m not optimistic about the results.

• Miffypops
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

The only advice my children got from me about homework was to do as I did and ignore it. If your teachers cannot teach what you need to know in the time allotted they should resign and get a menial job. My exam results were F. U. D. G. E.

• Hanni
        Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

It’s not gone well. I made the fundamental error of asking engineering friends for advice. They sent schematics. They could be of a kite but they could be of a jet ski. There are bits of dogs attached to the kite and bits of kite attached to the dogs. I may be glued to the table. The other half has laughed on the sofa for the last 2 hours…oh and he was a secondary school teacher for 25 years. On the upside it does look like a child has made it. I’ll stick to your advice from now on. Hope your travels are going well.

24. Annidrum
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle from Jay ,my only holdups were 14a, 23d&25d. Thanks toJay & The 2 Kiwis.

25. Jane
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Looks as though I was the only one to have a stupid moment over 3d. I REALLY wanted the horse to be Mr. Ed and thought I could tie him in with ‘electing’ the leader of the Labour party (no, that isn’t intended as a sign of my intentions at the next general election!). Obviously the ‘tense’ was wrong and it also left me with a huge problem over 14a, so had to re-think the whole thing. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    Many thanks to the 2 asparagus eaters (I’m with you on the eggs benedict, Hanni!) and to Jay for restoring my confidence after my dismal failure with yesterday’s supposedly easy Toughie! Out tonight, so may be able to avoid looking at today’s and so save myself any further anguish!
    Final answer for 14a enabled me to renew my membership of the bung-it-in club and I think I’ll go for 9a as favourite.

• Hanni
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

It’s lovely isn’t it. Could happily eat it right now along with a very large glass of wine. :-)

• Jane
        Posted October 15, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Oh yes! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

26. JonP
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle which is pretty much odds-on (about 7/1 on to be more accurate) for a Wednesday. Thanks to the 2Kiwis and thanks to Jay **/****

Posted October 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Out of bed now. The stress levels about doing the blogs must be dropping as we both managed to sleep most of the night this time after having trusted the draft to the editorial hands of BD last evening (for us).
    The asparagus tasted just great. We buy direct from a large commercial grower whose premises are on the road between where we live and where one of us plays Bridge. It will now be our vegetable of choice for the next couple of months so we have it with everything.
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

28. Lulubelle
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Just finished all but 14a. Didn’t stick with chemistry, so hint didn’t mean anything to me either, but thanks for clue to 25d which was last one in. Favourites today 9a and 18a. V. Enjoyable all round. Also managed Quickie which I sometimes find more difficult than cryptic!

Posted October 15, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

I’ve just remembered that it should be Ray T tomorrow. Oh good! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif
    Something to cheer me up after one of our less good days – elderly Mum and elderly collie are both causing a few problems and it’s SO grey and wet and generally miserable. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Kitty
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I like Ray T Thursdays too. I do hope tomorrow successfully brings cheer for you.

Posted October 15, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

I am so sorry, Kath, about your Mum and collie being under the weather. I do hope they are better soon, it must be so worrisome for you. If telepathic good vibes work, you should get some coming your way.

• andy
        Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

And mine, Kath e-vibes coming your way :)

• Hanni
      Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Hope things go better tomorrow Kath. Good thoughts from me too. :-)

Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all – there’s very little that a really good Ray T doesn’t cheer up – he makes me laugh which is always good.

30. Hilary
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable after early pessimism, senior moment when I thought 7d should be plural but soldiered on bravely and finished without need to resort to peeking at answers. Now I’m off to FAQs to find out how to add emiticons as I fancy showing off

31. Dick
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

They all went in quite well but 20a put up some stubborn resistance for a while before caving in. I’ve enjoyed all this week’s offerings so far.

32. Jane
    Posted October 15, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath, Yes – I’m hoping it’s Mr. T. tomorrow. Out all day, so it will give me something to look forward to in the evening. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif
    Hope both Mum and Collie (Annie?) improve if we get some of the nicer weather that’s been promised over the next few days. We’ve actually avoided the worst of it so far, but I’m sure our turn will come. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted October 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

A gentle but not unpleasant puzzle, which l would rate at 2*/2*. No real favourite clue, except that l used to ride a 3d (and sometimes even managed to make a fair fist of all three phases on the same day!). Thanks to Jay for thus reminding me of those happy days, and to the 2Kiwis for the review.