Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Yesterday, on our morning walk, we saw the first flock of Bar-tailed Godwits that have returned to our estuary from their breeding ground in Alaska. Incredibly, they make this journey non-stop. We are always pleased to see them safely home again each year.

imagesBar-tailed_Godwit_From_The_Crossley_ID_Guide_Eastern_Birds

An enjoyable puzzle once again from Jay

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a Leave drink, taking in small talk (6)
GOSSIP : A word for leave or depart, then a little drink, separated by small.

5a Irregular role at home around South America (8)
PARTISAN : A role as in a play, the usual ‘at home’ with the abbreviation for South America included.

9a Time working on board getting marine life forms (8)
PLANKTON : Another word for a board, then time and word for working.
imgres

10a Schemes incorporating island’s flat areas (6)
PLAINS : Schemes with island included.

11a Fellow listener a few dread (8)
FEARSOME : Abbreviation for fellow, the listener from the side of your head, then ‘a few’.

12a Hoped to see West End cast (6)
WISHED : Postal district then a verb for what a snake might do with its skin.

13a Expanded by serving lager in terminal (8)
ENLARGED : A three letter word for terminal containing an anagram (serving) of LAGER.

15a She gets disheartened during American functions (4)
USES : ‘She’ without middle letter (disheartened) inside abbreviation for American.

17a Why some did less? (4)
IDLE : Included in the clue.

19a Story about Right creates a state of conflict (8)
FRICTION : Letter for right is included in a made-up story.

20a Creature‘s show of hesitation in front of pit (6)
ERMINE : Two letter hesitation in front of source of coal perhaps.
imgres

21a Person lacking rank — one arriving around beginning of week (8)
COMMONER : The first day of the working week is inside a word for one arriving.

22a Superficial impression made on a student of teeth (6)
DENTAL : What your car might get in the supermarket carpark, ‘a’ from the clue, then learner.

23a What identifies quality of target by hawk? (8)
KITEMARK : A word for a target follows a type of hawk. Not something we know in NZ but remember it from a previous crossword.
imgres

24a Clothes and weapon hidden in loo (8)
GARMENTS : Word for Loo (men only) surrounds a weapon.

25a Company director’s first German buffer (6)
CODGER : Abbreviation for company, first letter of director then short form of German.

2d Lies low, forced to cover lake and fuel sources (3,5)
OIL WELLS : Anagram (forced) of LIES LOW with an extra lake.

3d Odd items perhaps of washing hung out — here’s why? (8)
SUNDRIES : When split 3,4 it is what happens to washing that is hung out on a fine day.

4d Post Office worker pockets black book that’s an earner (9)
POTBOILER : Abbreviation for Post Office then black inside word for hard worker.

5d Excitedly contact speaker, importing fine sweets (10,5)
PONTEFRACT CAKES : Anagram (excitedly) of CONTACT SPEAKER with an extra fine included. Yes, surprisingly one of us had heard of them.
imgres

6d Bound to include everybody, agreed (7)
TALLIED : Four letter word for laced up surrounds word for everybody.

7d Rebellious youth almost broke the boss (8)
SKINHEAD : A slang word for short of money, missing its last letter, then a word for a boss.

8d Made enquiries on one case of vehicle’s sudden fall (8)
NOSEDIVE : Slang word for made enquiries, Roman numeral one, then first and last letters (case) of vehicle.

14d Strange — credit is short in support of German war machine (9)
ENIGMATIC : Machine that Bletchley Park worked on followed by common word for credit missing last letter.

15d Poorly grounded person not expected to win (8)
UNDERDOG : Anagram (poorly) of GROUNDED.

16d Auditor of former dictator and heir oddly disappearing (8)
EXAMINER : Abbreviation for former, Ugandan dictator, then alternate letters (oddly disappearing) of HEIR.

17d Posted popular class edition (8)
INFORMED : Usual word for popular, synonym for class then abbreviation for edition.

18d Rising stink contained by West Coast city that is a feature of North America (4,4)
LAKE ERIE : Offensive smell reversed (rising), inside initials for US West Coast city and abbreviation for ‘that is’.

19d Showy display from cool and distant European (7)
FANFARE : Three letter verb meaning to cool, word for distant, then European.

The Quick Crossword pun: poor+settee=paucity

1. Graham
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I must be on a roll two on the trot completed without resorting to the hints.This for me was a very enjoyable romp &would agree with the ratings.
    I used to be an 7D but have evolved into a old 25A. Many thanks to the setter & the two Kiwis for the review.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Excellent very enjoyable puzzle. Not too taxing and with a super clue in 3d, very clever, my sort of crossword clue.
    Thx to Jay for the puzzle and Thx to 2 kiwis and hello to all my friends in Napier.

3. Werm
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward really, my only query was regarding 11a. Can dread really mean fearsome? I can’t think of a sentence where one would replace the other. Dreaded yes but not dread. Happy to be shown where I am being stupid of course.

Thanks as always to Jay and 2Kiwis

• dutch
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I agree, don’t see how dread can be used as an adjective. Dreaded would have worked for me too.

Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Yes – I’m in the fearsome club too.

• Salty Dog
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Me too. “Dreaded” might have worked. Other than that, not a bad puzzle, but not particularly testing – about 2*/3*. I’m definitely a 25a. Thanks to Jay, and to 2Kiwis for the review. Enjoy your godwits!

• Expat Chris
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

“Dread” as in “terrible”. Shakespeare used it frequently.

To be expos’d against the warring winds?
      To stand against the deep dread bolted thunder.

• Deep Threat
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

See verses 3 and 4 of ‘The Tyger’ by William Blake:

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
      In the forests of the night;
      What immortal hand or eye,
      Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
      Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
      On what wings dare he aspire?
      What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
      Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
      And when thy heart began to beat,
      What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
      In what furnace was thy brain?
      What the anvil? what dread grasp,
      Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
      And water’d heaven with their tears:
      Did he smile his work to see?
      Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
      In the forests of the night:
      What immortal hand or eye,
      Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

• Jane
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

That’s that one sorted then!

• SheilaP
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

That sort of usage is called poetic licence I think.

• dutch
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I’m impressed!

Posted October 8, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I think that’s sorted us out once and for all! Thanks Deep Threat and Expat Chris.

4. dutch
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Interesting puzzle where i had to bend my mind for some of the definitions. I completed rapidly enough but wasn’t sure of of some answers. I hadn’t come across this use of buffer in 25a. In 12a I hadn’t managed to parse the postcode, and was worried we might be looking at an unindicated indirect anagram of shied (via cast) – of course, this could not be the case. 11a and 17a are very nice clues but i wasn’t sure the answer quite matched the right part of speech.

The answer to 7d wasn’t the first rebellious youth that came to mind!

I particularly liked 3d and 4d, and 17d & 18d

15d will be familiar to DIY COW clueing competition people!

many thanks Jay and KK for a lovely write-up

Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I think it’s a 2* difficulty and almost 4* for enjoyment.
    I agree with Werm and dutch about 11a – I’ve been mithering about it ever since I wrote it in.
    Not many problems today once I’d stopped trying to put a W into 21a and realised that the 4d Post Office worker wasn’t Postman Pat! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    For some reason I was a bit slow with 19a – first of all the ‘story’ was a ‘fable’ and then it was a ‘fib’ but got there in the end.
    Not many anagrams – I made it three.
    I liked 25a and 7 and 19d. My favourite was either 3 or 5d.
    With thanks to Jay and thanks and well done again to the 2Kiwis.

Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

PS It’s a thoroughly miserable day in Oxford – raining and so grey that it’s almost dark. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
      On the plus side that’s a good reason to try the Beam Toughie. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Jane
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath, your comment showed up just after I’d posted mine – so pleased to hear that I wasn’t the only one involved with PP and his black and white cat! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted October 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

. . . not to mention Mrs Goggins – cue for brilliant joke but, on second thoughts, maybe not here! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Hanni
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

You can add me to the Postman Pat brigade!

Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, that was quite tricky. I got there in the end, but would agree 11a wasn’t quite right, just needed the hint to parse 12a, I live in London, so I should have got the postcode. Favourite was 3d, last in was 16d. Completed in 4 quarters, NE, SE, NW, SW. Was 3*/4* for me. A bit drizzly in Central London. Off to the Toughie.

7. George
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Took some thought for me today. I had never heard of 23a, But I definitely felt a sense of achievement today when done! I really liked 3d as I pondered on that for quite a while before the penny dropped. Then I entered the right word for 12a because I could not think of an alternative, but did not understand the wordplay until I looked at the hint above.

Thanks one and all for an enjoyable puzzle and clarifications!

I would rate it as 3*/4*

8. Jane
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Hi Kiwis, pleased to hear that your Barwits have started to return – we’ve still got a few holidaying in the estuaries on Anglesey, but the recent dip in temperatures could soon see them having second thoughts and moving further south.
    Many thanks for your excellent review – I have to confess to needing your help with 3&4d. With the checking letters in, I got obsessed with a Postman Pat tie-up for 4d and equally hung-up with ‘strange entries’ for 3d. At least I admit my stupidities! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif
    Thought 23a might have thrown you a little – should have known better – and that goes in as my favourite for the day.

9. Ridgerunner
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Only recently came across this web site. Very helpful. Like others I liked 3 down.
    However I got 15 down a different way. I immediately thought poorly was UNDER the weather, and that grounded was “in the DOG house”, is that acceptable crossword logic or was I just lucky.

• Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ridgerunner

No it isn’t and yes you were! Stick with us and you will learn more about the correct parsing of clues.

• Miffypops
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I like his style. He can blog Monday if he wants

• Rick
          Posted October 8, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

The bung it in brigade has a new member. Forget York – we’ll be holding our own conventions soon!

• SheilaP
            Posted October 8, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Yes. There are more ways than one to skin a cat.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Jane
            Posted October 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Bung it in conventions – sounds like far more fun to me! What shall we call them?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif
            Actually, I’ve just thought of a name, but wouldn’t dare repeat it – forget ‘moderating’, it would be instantly deleted!

• Hanni
              Posted October 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I really want to know the name. …oh there’s so many possibilities.

• Rick
                Posted October 8, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

What would be the collective noun for ‘bungers’? A muddle perhaps?

Posted October 8, 2014 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

I call it the Miffypops rule! I’m a founder member.

• Hanni
              Posted October 8, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I’m going to shamelessly steal that phrase and apply it in day to day life. For example, when a tricky work situation arises to which no one knows the solution but something sort of fits, I shall invoke the ‘Miffypops’ rule….and instruct others to do so.

• Hilary
            Posted October 9, 2014 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Add me to the list I am a classic bung it in person

Posted October 8, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and quite straightforward I thought. No real standouts for me. 23A was a new word. Shamefully, for one who has driven the highway alongside it a few times, 18D took a bit more time than it should have. Thanks to Jay and the 2kiwis for the review and lovely illustrations.

11. BigBoab
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Gentle and enjoyable seems to be the theme this week, thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis.

Posted October 8, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

2*/3* for an enjoyable and gentle puzzle. 18d was my last one in, and 3d my favourite.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

P.S. I’m at Heathrow just about to pop off to Geneva for a couple of days. Back on Saturday. I’m glad it was Ray T last week so I won’t be missing him tomorrow.

13. SheilaP
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword today. Although we got the correct answers for 6d and 12a, we had to look at the hints to see why, so thank you 2Kiwis and the setter of course.

14. Beaver
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Agree with Kath on the **/****ish. Found it pleasantly light hearted somehow and a good aperitif for the egg and soldiers.3D seemed to strike a cord with most, and all the more so for me because I’d not come across this or a similar clue before, actually an anagram of sunrised and seeing my local is the Rising Sun,i thought it most apposite !

15. Vancouverbc
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle with few hold ups. **/***. Thanks to the setter and the 2Kiwis for the review and the godwits – we walk our dogs along Boundary Bay where we are treated to literally millions of migratory birds stopping off on their journey south unlike your plucky friends that make it in one hop.

16. Poppy
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Once I’d got eccentric in my head for 14d, I just got stuck like a hypnotised rabbit, so my SE corner was the last in, unsurprisingly. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif But was pleased to complete this in the end. Haven’t heard 25a for ages – I miss these lovely words! Is there a female version, or should I not ask? Many thanks to setter, as well as to 2Ks – loved your pic of the Bar-Wits. If you haven’t already seen the film ‘Winged Migration’ I strongly recommend it. The distance covered by some birds and the photography is stunning and not a word is spoken during the film, just music.. Greetings to all.

Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Since ‘codger’ is usually preceded by old what about ‘old biddy’ being the female version? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Poppy
        Posted October 9, 2014 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Phttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

We remember the one from many years ago called (we think) “Travelling Birds”. We will watch out for “Winged Migration”, it sounds lovely.

17. Owdoo
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

No problems today. Completed over a pleasant lunch with Mrs O as I’m working from home at the moment helping her to recuperate after a knee operation.
    2*/3* with 3d causing the biggest smile.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

• Miffypops
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I have read The Story Of O

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

If you are referring to histoire d’o…that’s a bit naughty..

• Owdoo
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness I didn’t google that one at work.
        O mg (as the kids might say)!
        I might have to find my better half another abbreviated online moniker.

• Kitty
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Quite a gentle fare today. Got my good friend from hove to help me. Two brains are better than one. But she found the clues a bit too convoluted. Anyway, managed to finish it without the need to look at our two NZ review. Keep up the good work nonetheless. Thanks.

19. Gwizz
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Nothing like a dose of man-flu to slow my little grey cells down I find! I eventually finished but being a definite 25a I had to put CODEIN in first. Well, it made sense to me… sort of… So this is my favourite clue. Thanks to Jay and the 2K’s.

20. Hanni
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

**/****. After yesterday I found this quite gentle. Some lovely clues including 3 and 7d. However 23a really made me smile as I remember studying all the rules and regs many years ago at uni. I also struggled with the definition of 11a so thank you to Expat Chris and DT for the clafication. :-)
    Many thanks to the setter and the 2Kiwis for blogging. Love the picture of the Bar-tailed Godwits. What a fabulous name!

Posted October 8, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay for an enjoyable puzzle. About the norm for difficulty on a Wednesday. Many thanks 2 Kiwis for your review and hints. Glad your Bar-tailed Godwits are home safely. We have seen a lot of Black-tailed this week on our annual visit to the North Norfolk coast, but only a few Bar-tailed stopping off for a break on their long journey. Great photo !

Posted October 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Out of bed now, at least one of us anyway. The other half is still there sipping the morning cup of tea that was taken to her. We did hesitate about the parts of speech in 11a but decided that it was OK, as others have explained in comments while we slept.
    Pleased that people appreciated our Godwits. We think of them as ours but strictly speaking, ‘home’ should be their breeding-ground rather than their feeding-ground, perhaps we could agree to share them.

23. Little Dave
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable challenge and I recall 5d as featured before although a long time ago. 3d was nice. 7d also. Many thanks for the review, BD and to the compiler. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted October 8, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I wrote a comment but lost it when my internet went out! Found this very hard but very enjoyable. Loved the Godwits, and I have ordered Poppy’s recommendation for Winged Migration on Netflix. My fave was 5d, ,but honourable mention to 3d. I used the M’pops rule for 12a and 25a, so thanks for the unravelling.
    Thanks to Jay, and many thanks to the 2Kiwis.

25. Kitty
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable Jay puzzle. I sailed through the west, then was held up a for quite a while in the east. Hadn’t heard of 5d, and was very dim-witted in not spotting the anagram, which cause a deserved delay. I particularly liked 24a and 25a, and am going for 3d for fave. 14d is my runner-up, and something I have been called. (Although to the trusted few who have been admitted to Kittyland and entrusted with its secrets, I am an open book, albeit, not a quick or easy read.)

Thanks to Jay, and to the 2Kiwis for the review and the birds They look very tasty cute ;).

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I’ll look up for some good French recipes. If it moves, it’s edible.

• Kitty
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

:). Actually, I’m the kind of kitty that likes to sit around eating, sleeping and soliciting stroking. I do go off for long solitary walks, but only look at the small creatures (and sometimes tell them how tasty they look*), never harm them.

*worryingly, this is actually true … http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Behave yourselves you two. Any more comments like that and we’ll have the padlock put back on the door-flap Kitty. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Kitty
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Relax :) – I promise to look but not touch. Please don’t put the padlock back!

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I do love birds actually. And even if I have 3 cats (2 at home and 1 in my restaurant), this summer I even saved a small “grand duc” owl which fell from the huge cedar tree that overlooks the restaurant. See tweeter @restolejardin pictures.

• Kitty
          Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

After your earlier comment, I’m a little worried for the cat in your restaurant!

26. Chris
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Feeling very annoyed with myself for being unable to interpret ‘loo’ in 24a, and all the more so when it was easy once you knew how. Otherwise very enjoyable and thanks to Jay and 2kiwis. (I think that Godwit picture is beautiful; they are more elegantly photogenic than our summer visitors, House Martins, but the Martins are more fun to watch.)

27. Hilary
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to 2kiwis for fabadabulous pictures you really have excelled yourselves, great decoding of clues although I have to own up to a certain amount of electronic help to aid my ageing brain today. I blame it on the cold damp weather in Suffolk but the other half says it is because I am old and past it. From a certified Codgeress.

28. Framboise
    Posted October 8, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s offering but neede the hint for 18d… Worked out 11a easily but wondered about dread being used as an adjective. 3d made me chuckle as did 23a.. Many thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review. Have been very quiet for a few weeks as busy with looking after grandchildren – enjoyed solving the puzzles nevertheless but ran out of time to comment on the blog. Going back to sunny Hyères for a couple of months early next week so the temptation of going to Ramsgate is removed form me. Bonne nuit to all!

• Framboise
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Just realized that the Cruciverbalist meeting was in London not Ramsgate, oops!

29. Tstrummer
    Posted October 9, 2014 at 12:59 am | Permalink

Good fun, but took a little longer than the usual Jay, I loved 3d and had no problem with dread, being a fan of the Bard and remembering the tyger from university days. Thanks to K-squared for their greatly appreciated efforts. 3*/3*

30. Whybird
    Posted October 10, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Way out of time, but glorious to see the bar-tailed godwits. Part of my reason for being so late polishing this off (and it was a good’un) was going to see yellow-browed warblers on Hartlepool headland. How does such a minuscule bird fly so far, and so inaccurately? There were 4 or more of them so no fluke! Never mind, 3d was excellent!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

So glad you liked our birds. Cheers.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif