Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Today we have a very well-constructed crossword which really floats my boat. After awakening at 11a we get fed and watered at 25a, 8d and 19d. With a small stretch of the imagination there is chocolate to be had at 2d. Replete we travel to Hampshire at 10a for a brief stop before heading to London for a tour of 14a. After crossing the sea we pass through a 3d and enjoy a Guinness or three in 6d. One of my all-time favourite people pops in to say hello at 22a. I hope you all enjoy the 18a provided by Rufus this morning. Not too difficult but lots of enjoyment and a few smiles. Life is good. Enjoy it.

1a    Compelled company to have new creed (7)
{COERCED} Our usual term for company followed by an anagram (new) of CREED

5a    Quits at university levels (5,2)
{EVENS UP} The first word here is a term often used in horse racing by bookies. The second word is an old term used to denote that a person is at university.

9a    Could be a periodical  dispute (5)
{ISSUE} A double definition here and a very nice one too.

10a    Hold rates for building in garrison town (9)
{ALDERSHOT} We have two words as an anagram indicator here. The anagram fodder precedes them. The solution is a garrison town known as The Home of The British Army

11a    It dawns on most people while they’re in bed (5,2,3)
{BREAK OF DAY} On the whole a very nice cryptic definition of sunrise. (Mr Van Morrison has just started singing Rave On John Donne. All is so well with my world. I am so happy I could burst)

12a    Too wrapped up in financial solvency (4)
{ALSO} The answer is a hidden word. It is there hiding away somewhere in the clue. Go find it.

14a    Where members are entitled to sit (5,2,5)
{HOUSE OF LORDS} These entitled members help to shape the laws of our Sceptered Isle. This is where they sit

18a    Score with awkward truths in clever argument (3,3,6)
{CUT AND THRUST} A clever clue. A charade which contains an anagram. The first three letter word is a rather obscure meaning of score, scratch possibly fits well. We then have our regular word meaning with and we conclude with an anagram (awkward) of TRUTHS. Lionel Blair would do this proud.

21a    Cite a famous person (4)
{NAME} Another double definition. I think it is an easy one to start with and easier once one or both of the checking letters are in.

22a    Horologist to keep eye on manufacturer (10)
{WATCHMAKER} John Harrison was one of these. Abraham Louis Breguet was another. George Daniels too. Roger Smith is one. A charade of a verb meaning to keep an eye on and a manufacturer

25a    Drinks for parties, if stirred (9)
{APERITIFS} We have an anagram here which should be easy to spot Be careful with the spelling The third letter is not an A and the fifth is not an E. This word pops its head up regularly and I always spell it wrong.

26a    Drawn towards marriage! (5)
{TOWED} To be drawn by a vehicle is the first definition here. The second works well when split (2,3)

27a    Tramples relative? (7)
{STEPSON} This relative is not a blood relative. Splitting “Tramples” (5,2) will help.

28a    They look round, quietly present on board (7)
{SPHERES} There is a lot more to this excellent clue than seven words should be able to convey. I am not sure whether Rufus means to suggest eyeballs with the phrase “they look round” or not. Whatever, treat the clue as a charade and do exactly what it says. Quietly is the usual musical term. Present represents a four letter adverb meaning “in this place” On board is the usual term used in crosswordland for inside a large ocean going vessel. Altogether we have round objects.

1d    Rises for many members (6)
{CLIMBS} The roman numeral for 100 (many) followed by the plural noun for your arms and legs

2d    Terse arrangement about a holiday that’s not fixed (6)
{EASTER} Anagram (arrangement ) of TERSE around A from the clue to find a moveable feast day in the Christian calendar.

3d    What made chicken opt for a secure road crossing (10)
{CHECKPOINT} We have an anagram here with an unusual indicator. Once you find it you can rearrange the letters to find a border crossing point. The most famous of these crossing points was called Charlie

4d    Overshadow  friend of Snow White (5)
{DWARF} In the Walt Disney film these were called Doc, Dopey, Bashful, Grumpy, Sneezy, Sleepy, and Happy.

5d    Try an overdue reform (9)
{ENDEAVOUR} For fans of Inspector Morse, this anagram (reform) of AN OVERDUE is his middle name

6d    American water goes up in S Ireland (4)
{EIRE} One of the great lakes reversed (goes up) will give you an alternative name for southern Ireland.

7d    Pupils start to sing newly composed chorals (8)
{SCHOLARS} take the first letter (start to) of S(ing) and add an anagram (newly composed) of CHORALS

8d    Pastor to cook Sunday lunch perhaps? (3,5)
{POT ROAST} And another anagram The first two words are the fodder. The third word is the indicator. The rest define it.

13d    Tight struggle to end with marriage (5,5)
{CLOSE MATCH} A sporting event where the scores are almost level might be described as such. The first word means to bring or come to an end. The second is an old term for a marriage

15d    Thrown into a suit case (9)
{SITUATION} Anagram (thrown) of INTO A SUIT

16d    Look at lads running amok — they’re shocking (8)
{SCANDALS} A verb meaning to look at or peruse followed by an anagram (running amok) of LADS

17d    A run caused by panic in the stock market? (8)
{STAMPEDE} A sudden panicked rush of beasts or a sudden mass reaction of people in response to a particular circumstance.

19d    A sticker for the traditional method of roasting (6)
{SKEWER} A long piece of wood or metal used for holding pieces of food, typically meat, together during cooking.

20d    They were banned from moving debris (6)
{BRIDES} This is an anagram. Banned refers to the reading of Banns in church

23d    Price of a suit? (5)
{COSTS} These may be awarded against you in a court of law

24d    An inclination to show prejudice (4)
{BIAS} Owing to my spelling mistake at 25a I put BENT in here. If you have BENT you are wrong. This is a double definition.

Thanks to Rufus for a divine offering today. Thanks to Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder and Bob Dylan for pleasuring me musically.

The Quick crossword pun: (room} + {innate} = {ruminate}

1. Collywobbles
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

On one of the few occasions that I have finished before publication which is my normal objective. Agreed it is a relatively easy puzzle but I was stuck on one or two clues which I gradually worked through. Many thanks to Rufus for an excellent puzzle and to MP to the hints, sadly not needed. Life is, indeed, good here in the Languedoc

2. redtrev
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable start to the week **/***for me.

3. Senf
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Finished comfortably before lights out last night, but I would not rate it as highly on the enjoyment scale as MP; for example, 18a was ‘hard work’ – so **/**. But I did enjoy the tale told by MP in his introduction above. And, as at the time of writing, I enjoyed the one tasteful illustration. Favourite – 22a.

4. Rachel
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Did you know that 27a is the same as a clue in the Sunday Times yesterday? There is was ‘crushes relative’. Great minds…?

• Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Rachel

27a is a bit of an old chestnut.

• JonP
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

That’s odd – I got that clue today but it was one I couldn’t get yesterday in that NW corner of the ST. Thanks for pointing that out Rachel – finished it off now!

• JonP
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Sorry – NE corner….

5. spindrift
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Good crossword but surpassed by MP’s preamble. Sublime! Thanks to Rufus & to MP.

After a sultry weekend the weather returns to type with louring skies & intermittent showers with thunder forecast later this afternoon. Good to tell Wimbledon has kicked off & England are trying to play cricket…

• pommers
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Trying? Didn’t see much evidence of that!

6. Kitty
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hello all :). With such a cheerful preamble from Miffypops, I shall de-lurk. Usually, I reckon that if I can do the crossword, it is easy; if I can do it without hints or reference materials, it is very easy; if I can do it without any help, it is super-easy. Today, I polished it off all on my own and in record time, so I was very happy indeed! (…but rather fearing that you folks here would be complaining of such a trivially easy puzzle that you’d finished before having wiped the sleep from your eyes. So I’m pleased with your ** difficulty rating.) */*** for me – yay!

• Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Kitty

Now that you have emerged from the shadows I hope we hear more from you.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too and well done with the crossword. How long have you been a lurker? Congratulations on the de-lurking – I think it takes a lot of courage to comment for the first time – well, it did for me anyway but maybe I’m just weedy!
      Keep commenting. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Kitty
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD and Kath :). I’ve been lurking for a couple of months, since discovering the site. I dabbled a bit with cryptics a few years back, but have only become a regular solver recently since acquiring the Telegraph app with the family subscription. Now, with that, and this excellent site to provide hints and parsing when needed, I’m somewhat hooked!

• Heno
          Posted June 24, 2014 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Welcome to the Blog Kitty. I’ve been commenting for a while now. Since I’ve been using this site, I learn something every day, and my solving level has gone up.

• Miffypops
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too Kitty.

• Carrie
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the site/forum/blog Kitty,

I still find it difficult to comment so I try to make sure I do it at least once a day.

I like it here

Carrie :)

7. skempie
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable fare today but over far to soon, I like to dibble in the crossword during the cricket, but finished before today’s play started. A couple of clues had me stumped for a while but it was a very short while.

Now to FINALLY have a look at Saturday’s and Sunday’s

8. SheilaP
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

We managed to finish without help for once. Monday’s usually the best bet for this. Indeed it’s very often the only day, so I suppose this crossword could be considered a bit more do-able than some, at least for us. What a miserable time for we sports loving people. Rubbish football ( at least by England), poor finish to the tour by the RU team, the cricket a bit iffy, and will Andy get knocked out in the first week of Wimbledon? Who knows. Thank you to the setter and to Miffypops.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Re Andy, in Jamaica we say “don’t put your goat mouth on it”, and if he loses, remember you caused it!!

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

The cricket was definitely “a bit iffy” at 1.24 pm, but it’s now a total disaster. I have never understood the rationale behind the use of a “nightwatchman” and this evening’s fiasco simply confirms that. Perhaps England’s cricketers should take up football and vice versa!

• SheilaP
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

They could hardly do any worse, RD. Even my granny could do better, as Geoff would say.

9. Rick
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

All going swimmingly until a schoolboy error held me up in the NE corner. Returned after breakfast to sort it out and give myself a slap on the wrist. A pleasant start to the week.

10. JonP
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Not many problems today – enjoyable Monday solve this AM. Thanks to Miffypops and Rufus **/***

Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle today, v enjoyable. Lots of anagrams and my personal fav was 27a.
    Thx to all

Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I agree with 2* difficulty and 3* or maybe a bit more for enjoyment.
    It looks as if I’m the only twit to mess up the top left corner by having light of day for 11a. Oh dear – not helpful! It didn’t occur to me to doubt it until I realised that I couldn’t do any of the down clues that went through the first word.
    Eventually sorted that out and the rest was pretty much plain sailing.
    I liked 12 and 18a and 7 and 16d. My favourite was 3d – just the one so watch out the rest of you!
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.
    Ought to cut the grass but Wimbledon is awfully tempting . . .

13. BigBoab
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops for a fun crossword and review.

14. John C
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

**/*** for me. i noticed that this puzzle had 12 clues in which anagrams were involved.

Finally some dry weather here in Minneapolis, after 10.5″ of rain this month and over half of that in the last week. Some of the major rivers are flooding. Minnehaha Creek is a couple of minutes walk from my house, and I have never seen so much water in it.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I have been following the really bad flooding, tornadoes, etc., on the news and commiserate with you. It must be so frightening. I would much rather deal with our hurricanes. Good Luck.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus, a very enjoyable puzzle with some good fun clues. Thanks Miffypops for your Tour of Britain, review and hints – all good fun on a lovely day.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I just love Rufus puzzles and the M’pops reviews, a marriage made in heaven. Thanks to both of you for the hugely entertaining start to the day. Hard to choose, but favourite I think is 28a.

17. A G Brown
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Shopping this morning late starting this enjoyable puzzle agree **|*** thanks to setter and although no help needed to M P for his entertaining review

18. Angel
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

This beautiful day started well and early for me as the paper, as usual, was delivered soon after 6 a.m. and the sun was already warmly shining so straight into the garden with some herbal tea and the Cryptic. It turned out to be a very brief ride in the park, apart from slight hitch with wrong horologist in 10a., so could concentrate on Andy Murray’s successful match this p.m. **/*** http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif Thanks Rufus and Miffypops for a clever journey.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I’m late on parade today. I thought this was delightful although a bit on the easy side. I’m going for 1* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment despite what I felt were a few too many anagrams and part anagrams.

That said 3a with its brilliant surface reading was my favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus for the enchanting puzzle and to Miffypops for the entertaining review.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Just because you’ve only got one favourite today doesn’t mean you can get away with having one that doesn’t exist – 3d maybe? If so, I agree with you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

:oops: yes 3d! Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

• Jezza
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Ah… Kath

Seeing as you are the ‘favourites’ professional, and consultant, I have a question for you…

My daughter (aged 3) told me this evening that her best friend at nursery is Jack.. but last week it was Cyrus. When I asked her if Jack is now her new best friend, she replied, “no, they both are”.

I just wondered what the rules and regulations are in this situation.. is she allowed more than one, or is that a contravention? :)

• Carrie
          Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Hello Jezza,

Sorry it’s not Kath the ‘favourites’ professional consultant but an amateur here. When I have more than one ‘favourite’ I further classify the category e.g. Jack would be my best friend whose name begins with J.

This might be a tad complicated for a 3 year old who probably enjoys having more than one BF ;)

• Jezza
            Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Good thinking Carrie! Thanks :)

Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Hmmmm – I’ll have to have a bit of a think about that one. I suspect that the idea of a superlative is probably a bit too much for even the most intelligent 3 year old – it’s probably a bit too much for our Pet Lambs and they are 33 and 36!
          How fickle 3 year olds are.

20. Carrie
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle from Rufus, clever preamble and enjoyable Hints and Tips from MP.

Some days I enjoy something not quite so taxing as my brain hurts from work.

Favourite down clue 5d – I loved the TV Programme Morse
    Favourite across clue 26a – it brought a wry grin to my face

Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

NOW look what you’ve done. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif Any mention of Morse reduces me to tears.

• Carrie
        Posted June 23, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Oh no! I’m so sorry being fairly new I did not know. :sad:

Are there any other things I should avoid mentioning?

Please have this :rose: and I hope you feel better soon

Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Only joking (ish) and thank you for the flower. I just loved John Thaw so much.
          No – nothing else that you should avoid mentioning, unless it’s sport!

• 2Kiwis
            Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Kath, we did think of you as we wrote in 5d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I think it was the first ever episode of 5d when right at the end the young 5d was looking into the rear view mirror and his eyes changed into John Thaw’s – I was in pieces . . .

• Carrie
            Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Yes, he was excellent in everything he did!

Whilst I like the Lewis/Hathaway combination it’s not the same quality as the Morse/Lewis combo. I thought at times Lewis was morphing into a version of Morse.

My pet lamb is 24 and much more mature than her mother :)

Posted June 23, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

While Lewis/Hathaway were not as good as Morse/Lewis, they were still very good, and I ADORED Hathaway. I also liked John Thaw in “Goodnight Mr. Tom” an excellent movie.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Yes – “Goodnight Mr Tom” was wonderful – everything that he was ever in was wonderful.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

The mental image of assistance for the proverbial chicken in 3d brought a chuckle for, so qualifies for favourite with us. No hold-ups and all good fun. Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle today and very enjoyable pre-amble from Miffypops.i’m enjoying a few days in one of Irelands best kept secrets, Ardmore, Co Waterford. It has hardly changed in 50 years.Glorously hot and very quiet.Thanks to all concerned.

23. Little Dave
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Zipped and zoomed through and all was good until I heard of the England batting disaster. Thanks toThe Setter and good to see some new contributors. Off to sulk. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Yes – I agree that it’s really good to see some new commenters – don’t sulk – it’s only a game, or shall I shut up? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

24. ruthie
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Loved 18a, but needed MP’s hint for 22a – can’t tell a watch from a clock!
    Thanks for the hints and the preamble – very enjoyable!

• Miffypops
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

When Ruthie says come see her
      In her honky-tonk lagoon
      Where I can watch her waltz for free
      ’Neath her Panamanian moon
      An’ I say, “Aw come on now
      You must know about my debutante”
      An’ she says, “Your debutante just knows what you need
      But I know what you want”
      Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
      To be stuck inside of Mobile
      With the Memphis blues again

Hello Ruthie. You appear to be mentioned in a song by Bob Dylan. I agree that Watchmaker and Clockmaker both fit the clue. To clock something also works. My respect for George Daniels steered me to the watches side of things.

25. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

A **/*** for me as well and finished this much faster than normal probably because of the preponderance of anagrams. Favourites were 27a and 28a. Although I didn’t need the hints thanks to MP for the intro in particular.

• Miffypops
      Posted June 23, 2014 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Preponderance? Thirteen letters? It should appear soon.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A super puzzle to start the week. My only difficulties were in trying to fit the answer to 5d into 10a :-) and 11&18a took me ages, but got there in the end. Favourite was 27a, was 2*/4* for me. Late commenting due to all the sport on TV, then playing Squash and watching Brazil afterwards. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

27. reggie
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

A ** minute run through for me after a long S Wales Gatwick return with no air con! Only problem was 23d as I couldn’t work out the why the plural

• Prolixic
      Posted June 24, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Reggie,

I have edited the time taken as the tradition on this site is not to quote solving times as it can be off-putting for less experienced solvers.

• Zofbak
      Posted June 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Because the settlement of a (law) suit is often awarded with costs?

28. John Nutt
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to your excellent blog & hint-meisters I’ve been able to polish off the 4 DT cryptic crosswords I attempted last week & the DT Saturday Prize crossword. I was on a roll with this one and managed complete a good half before resorting to Miffypops’ excellent hints & I liked his witty preamble too! Favourite clue was definitely 27a – thanks!

• Posted June 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog John

Glad we could help. Now that you have come out of the shadows maybe we’ll hear from you again soon.

29. Derek
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Solved this while flying down from Amsterdam, Schiphol, to Nice, Cóte d<Azur, with no aids at all (computers, dictionaries, cheat books etc.) so very pleased.

Very warm ans sunny but rain forecast for tomorrow.

Shall be in Departement 83 for several weeks with my son.

30. Molly
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Four weeks behind as usual, but must say how much I enjoy your reviewing style, Miffypops, so clear and witty. Thanks! And to Rufus of course, what an excellently misleading set of clues this was!