Toughie 1174

Toughie No 1174 by Dada

So good he said it twice!

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

A fun puzzle from one of my favourite setters. 18 down added one of the enjoyment stars.

1a    Old couple lagging behind everyone in fight to get big jumper (8)
{WALLAROO} – O(ld) O(ld) (a couple of olds) after a word meaning everyone inside a fight

5a    Rash getting better on cuckoo (6)
{MADCAP} – a verb meaning to better preceded by an adjective meaning cuckoo or crazy

9a    Stout-hearted female lacking in a sense, then? (8)
{FEARLESS} – F(emale) followed by an adjective meaning lacking in one of the senses

10a    Key  number one or two? (6)
{OPENER} – a key used to undo a can and one of two batmen at the start of an innings

12a    Book that’s funny, article written on it (6)
{LOLITA} – textspeak for “that’s funny” and the indefinite article preceded by IT

13a    Vegetable  producer in pictures? (8)
{BROCCOLI} – a green vegetable and the producer of many James Bond films

15a    Turn Casanova back to extremes of virtue (7)
{REVOLVE} – a Casanova reversed (back) and followed by the outer letters of VirtuE

16a    Slimy fellow in bedgulp! (4)
{SLUG} – a slimy garden pest and a gulp of, usually alcoholic, liquid

20a    River cold for high-flier (4)
{EXEC} – a river in southwest England followed by C(old)

21a    Balm in use, rubbing head (7)
{UNCTION} – a use or purpose without (rubbing) its initial letter (head)

25a    Skilful player, one with teething problems? (8)
{DRIBBLER} – someone without teeth, usually a toddler

26a    Attachment to a Victorian woman causing stir (6)
{BUSTLE} – two definitions – the first being a frame for making a skirt stand out from the hips

28a    A mount, ultimately, on which more than one pair in Ark rested? (6)
{ARARAT} – the whole of this clue describes a mountain where Noah’s ark came to rest – the A from the clue and the final letter of mounT preceded by the first two letters of ARk repeated

29a    Welshman perhaps carrying one note then another as singer (8)
{BARITONE} – a resident of the British Isles (Welshman perhaps) around a note of the diatonic scale of C major and followed by another such note

30a    Getting high, with a rush (6)
{FLYING} – two definitions

31a    Information stored by factory that’s booming (8)
{PLANGENT} – some information inside (stored by) a factory

1d    Rabbit on  something for breakfast (6)
{WAFFLE} – two definitions – a verb and a noun

2d    Likely story about murder victim (no evidence at first) (6)
{LIABLE} – a story or untruth around the fist murder victim, the latter without the E (no Evidence at first)

3d    Entire crew in a muddle (3,2,3)
{ALL AT SEA} – this could describe the entire crew of a ship

4d    Cook removing lid for oven (4)
{OAST} – drop the initial letter (lid) from a verb meaning to cook

6d    Face snake etc snaking (6)
{ASPECT} – a snake followed by an anagram (snaking) of ETC

7d    Pet is able to scratch bottom of many (8)
{CANOODLE} – this verb meaning to pet or cuddle is derived from a verb meaning is able followed by a word meaning many without (scratch) its final letter (bottom in a down clue)

8d    Breakfast that’s served at Her Majesty’s pleasure? (8)
{PORRIDGE} – a slang word for time spent in prison

11d    Force down sauce, swallowing it (7)
{GRAVITY} – to get this downward force put a sauce around IT

14d    It’s quite the opposite, one adds (7)
{COUNTER} – two definitions

17d    Star that’s rare, one of seven (3,5)
{RED DWARF} – red when applied to meat followed by one of seven followers in a children’s story

Red dwarf

18d    Avoiding the other bicycle, a convertible (8)
{CELIBACY] – I won’t spoil the laugh-out-loud moment by explaining the definition! – it’s an anagram (convertible) of BICYCLE A

19d    End of a problem, like that one in Bedfordshire town (8)
{SOLUTION} – a two-letter word meaning like that followed by I (one) inside a town in Bedfordshire

22d    Get on a bit, decrepit (6)
{OBTAIN} – an anagram (decrepit) of ON A BIT

23d    In two articles, order maintained (2,4)
{AT HOME} – an indefinite article and the definite article around the Order of Merit

24d    Leave the country? That’s a mistake (6)
{DEFECT} – two definitions

27d    Bird in bar (4)
{RAIL} – two more definitions

Rather a lot of double definitions today!

1. Pegasus
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Good fun puzzle, favourites were 10a 18d and 26a thanks to Dada and to Big Dave for the comments.

Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Great stuff! 3*/4* for me. A couple took me a while to crack – esp the anagram at 22d.
    Many thanks to Dada, and to BD for the review.

Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Splendid stuff as to be expected from Dada – agree that 18d is clue of the day. Thanks to Dada and BD.

4. BigBoab
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Great fun, I loved 10 and 25a and 17 and 18d. Many thanks to Dada and BD, superb stuff.

Posted April 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I absolutely loved it! 18D, when I finally got it, definitely had me laughing out loud. Although I had the correct answer, I don’t understand the explanation for 29A but music appreciation class was never my strong point. Also liked 11D and 17D.

I used to be frightened of even trying a Dada but he and I have been getting along well recently.

6. Dickiedot
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Dada and BD, good fun, 12a had me laughing, can’t remember LOL being used, or have I been asleep?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted April 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I loved this – I found it quite tricky but anything that has Toughie at the top always has that effect on me.
    I needed the explanation for 29a.
    I agree that 18d was absolutely brilliant but lots of others made me laugh too – 16 and 26a and 7 and 27d.
    With thanks to Dada and BD.

8. Catherine
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle but I had to work hard at it! Thanks BD for the explanations – particularly of 10a (cricket!) , 8d (slang meaning totally new to me) and 29a – I was thinking “b” and “tone” for the musical references but who is this Welshman called “Ari” :)
    Really liked 25a, 26a and 18d,
    Thanks to Dada and again to BD

• Posted April 22, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Try Briton around A and followed by E

• Catherine
        Posted April 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave – I did get that from your hint. I was just explaining my confusion before I read your hints. That is – I was laughing at myself!

Posted April 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

You’re probably thinking of Ari Secombe. :D

• Catherine
        Posted April 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Nice one!

Posted April 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Yes – I agree. 10a – cricket – I can’t do it. My other one was, like you, 29a.

Posted April 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

It is now about 18 hours since we did this puzzle and we are still laughing about 18d. The highlight of what was a really good fun puzzle that all went together smoothly without major hold-ups.
    Thanks Dada and BD.

10. neveracrossword
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Kept me amused for hours!

Posted April 22, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

A bit too clever for me, Dada, but thanks anyway. I managed all but 18d and the SE corner unaided (l hate those double definitions), but needed three or four of BD’s hints to fill the grid. 4* plus for me, and 18d is most definitely a super clue!

12. Tstrummer
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Took me three goes at this one before finally filling in the SE corner. Phew. Thanks to Dada for the challenge and to BD for explaining how I met it. PS agree with all about 18d, my favourite clue for ages 4*/4*