DT 27462 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27462 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter the April Prize Puzzle  – can you solve the mystery?

As Big Dave appears to have been held up in posting the usual hints, here is something to keep you going.  As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, an assortment of clues, including some of the more difficult ones, have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

1a Person adored taking time in warm place with Roy perhaps (5-5)
The abbreviation for time goes inside a place where fire may be found followed by a famous Roy, a Scottish outlaw whose reputation was exaggerated in Sir Walter Scott’s novel.

6a Assemble for service (4)
A double definition for gathering together and another name for the communion service.

10a Perry introducing leader of backing group (5)
The surname of an American singer around the initial letter (leader) of Backing [BD]

12a Weapon of wood, pine on front (7)
A verb meaning to pine followed by the front of, for example, a boat [BD]

13a Great man in resting place one turns to ashes (7)
A great man inside a child’s resting place gives something that is smoked [BD]

14a Putting strain on right girl engaged in kissing (5-7)
A seven letter word for kissing has inside (engaged in) the abbreviation for right and the name of a girl – think Mrs Duckworth!

18a Support a stranger picked up involved in drunken sprees (12)
Sounds like (picked up) a phrase (4,2,5) that could mean support a stranger [BD]

21a Craft needed to break through pack (7)
… packs of frozen water [BD]

24a Fruit bats entering holding area (9)
An anagram (bats) of ENTERING around (holding) A(rea) [BD]

26a Send cycling tips (4)
Move the first letter of the first word to last place (cycling).

27a Rick engrossed by money’s finer details (5,5)
Another word for a hayrick goes inside (engrossed by) a slang term for money.

1d Mild oath the French abuse (6)
The French masculine singular for the goes after mild word used to swear as an alternative to hell.

2d Scottish Nationalist, not the first nut (6)
Remove the first letter from the surname of the leader of the Scottish Nationalist party.

5d Choose integrated circuit by sight (5)
A verb meaning to choose followed by the abbreviation of Integrated Circuit [BD]

8d Long-term plan to go wrong, about to become upset (8)
A verb meaning to go wrong or depart from the straight and narrow around the reversal (upset in a down clue) of a verb meaning to become, as in to become darker [BD]

15d Opportunities for big wins nearly part romantic couple (9)
Another word for the part played by an actor with the final letter removed followed by a name for a romantic couple.

17d Native Americans in uplifting studies shown on TV (8)
Some native Americans inside the reversal (uplifting in a down clue) of some studies [BD]

19d Material that’s great, opulent mostly (6)
A three-letter word meaning great, used a lot in the Sixties, followed by most of an adjective meaning opulent [BD]

20d Wreckage turned up by gentleman on bottom of sea (6)
The title of a gentlemen followed by a word for the bottom of the sea, all reversed (turned up).

22d One game in German city (5)
A double definition for someone willing to attempt something and a city in Germany on the banks of the Moselle.

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {poor} + {tug} + {ease} + {manner} + {phwoar} = {Portuguese man-of-war}

1. Posted April 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic – I was nearly ready to post some hints – I’ll add a few more after lunch.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

2*/3* rating for this enjoyable weekend fare. Lots of nice clues with 18a my favourite, even though it is a far from easy word to spell!

Many thanks to the unknown setter and unknown hinter.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter and Prolixic. I found this quite difficult and it took me a long time to finish. Quite pleased to have completed it !

• williamus
      Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I’m still finding this “quite difficult”… and it’s only a matter of time before Mrs W comes and asks if I’ve finished with the paper :D

4. Brian Foster
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

You seem to have missed out on the Quick Crossword pun – it runs to FIVE answers!

• williamus
      Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Yes, the quickie’s nice and made me chuckle… which is more than the cryptic is doing at the moment!

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I was unable to add the pun earlier as the post was still being edited – it’s there now.

5. Outnumbered
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I found this one tricky as well.. Needed the hint for 14a…

Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I thought this was difficult – it’s either a bad case of wrong wavelength or I’m being very dim today.
    Even with alternate letters in I needed the hint to get 14a – just couldn’t see it.
    15d took ages and I had to check the spelling of 18a in the BRB – my first attempt was one letter short!
    I liked 18 and 27a and 4 and 19d. My favourite was 7d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD and Prolixic.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I am incredibly thick today, not just you. Did you hear from Poppy?

Posted April 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Good – I’m glad that I’m not the only thick one today – I really found that difficult but absolutely loved Alchemi’s NTSPP so marble count is still OK’ish. Anyone who hasn’t looked at NTSPP should do so.
        I haven’t heard anything from Poppy but have to confess that I haven’t yet got round to emailing her – other stuff has overtaken me – lots to do in garden and our wonderful collie is still very wobbly which tends to make me very preoccupied. I will send her (Poppy not collie!) an email tomorrow.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, not another doggie problem. I hope she improves soon.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks – she’s much better than she was this time last week but still wobbling . . .
            I will email Poppy tomorrow.

• Shawn
      Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Me too! Thick. Finally unravelled 14a and then able to get 15d.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

After a week in Bordeaux, and a short break from crosswordland, this one took me a little longer than normal. It was one of those puzzles where the enjoyment increased as I progressed.
    Thanks to setter, and to Prollixic.

8. Caravaggio
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

At first sight, I thought that I was going to have real problems with this puzzle but, although my progress was slower than usual, my initial fears were unfounded. I particularly liked 18a and I’ve noted that I’m not alone in this respect.

9. Kfb
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Got there eventually after a slow start . Yes , 18a was a problem . Liked 26 a best for its simplicity .

10. SheilaP
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

This took ages for us to get going, but we persevered and eventually it came down to the SE corner. Finished it at last and must admit we really quite enjoyed it. Thank you Mr. Setter & BD too. I thought the weather was going to get warmer, but not yet apparently, at least not here in Scarborough. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

11. williamus
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

A war of attrition for me and as such I didn’t enjoy it as much as I normally do on a Saturday. Not a criticism of the setter, it’s just me not being on the right wavelength today and I found this a tad esoteric for my liking. Several went in without complete understanding. 18a last in and 1a favourite. Thanks to Prollixic and to Mr Chambers without whom I wouldn’t have stood a chance today.

12. Tantalus
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Mrs T and I found this a breeze today – most enjoyable to learn those quaint English words for kissing. Thx to Messerschmitt Ron and Dave for synaptic work out.

• Tantalus
      Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Damn those German spellcheckersgehtfahren

• williamus
        Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

:-D That’s wonderful… perhaps the name will stick…

• Tantalus
          Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

We live in hope! I do need some guidance to help me prove Mrs T wrong on 24a. (But then again she is a fruit).

And Thx to Prolixic for the hints.

• Prolixic
            Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

24a Fruit bats entering holding area (9)

An anagram (bats) of entering goes around (holding) the abbreviation for area to give the name of a fruit.

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

A bumper selection of hints today – I’ve just added a few more, including that one.

• Tantalus
                Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Thx BD. Love the pics.

• Tantalus
              Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Duh! Thx, Mrs T was on Cricket theme today after she got the cricket captain yesterday – so ‘bats’ meant ‘**’ (and it is too embarrassing to explain how we concocted the rest of the letters to mean holding) . The means or the end, that is the question.

Thx again from a warm and sunny Boston MA.

• weekendwanda
              Posted April 13, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

The fruit was easy to spot with the checking letters – but I completely missed the anagram

• Tantalus
                Posted April 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

We too. Great minds think alike.

13. Angel
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Nice to have a bit more of a challenge than usual on a Saturday. Several good clues including 14a. Found “picked up” perhaps a bit dubious for 18a clue. Thanks to setter and Prolixic. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

“Picked up” is a fairly common homophone indicator – it means “overheard”.

• Tantalus
        Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

We call it wiretapping (legal intercept) – and we don’t really bother with the legal bit.

• Angel
        Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I bow to superior cruciverbal knowledge and at the same time thank you for the PC memory lane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

14. ade
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

What’s 24a all about. I have the answer and thinks its a fruit something to do with bats being mad

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

It’s explained by Prolixic at Comment #12 above and also in the main hints.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron, Prolixic & Big Dave. A very enjoyable puzzle, but quite tricky. I was beaten by 22d, but got it from the hint. Also needed BD’s explanation for the homophone indicator in 18a, which was my favourite clue. Dreading watching the Gooners later. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Thought this definitely fell into the tougher Saturday puzzles. Not much fun, just a jolly hard slog. The German City was new to me and why is 13a a great man rather than a great woman Mrs B wants to know.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Angel
      Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Surely she would be the word for the female version

Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I daresay she would but you can’t say so as you’d be giving an alternative clue.

• Hrothgar
          Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Suffice to say nothing wrong or ambiguous about this clue.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Now that Angel has changed her reply, she doesn’t have to go to the Naughty Corner, but it does make my comment unnecessary.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Angel
              Posted April 12, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

That’s a relief – I was a bit apprehensive about serving time there on starvation rations. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Very difficult for a Saturday puzzle, I just could not get on wavelength. I never did get 15d, even with the hint, or 23a. Having got 16d early on, 18a went in easily and remains my favourite, but loved 1a, 11a and 7d. Oh, well, win some, lose some. Thanks to setter and both reviewers.

18. Hrothgar
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I found this really difficult but got there unaided in the end.
    Way over my normal time.
    Main cause – various indicators which were new to me/didn’t recognise as such.
    Some quite brilliant constructions.
    Many thanks to the setter and to BD and Prolixic for the review.

19. bfgp
    Posted April 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

23 across I assume is *******.
    Is the ‘O’ really meant as an abb. for ‘over’?!!!

• Posted April 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog bfgp

First, please read the instruction in red concerning what you may put in a comment on the blog for a current prize puzzle

Second, you had the answer wrong anyway – the last five letters are a word meaning to track

Third, yes Over gives O – it’s from the cricket stats: O(vers), M(aidens), R(uns), W(ickets)

• number33
        Posted April 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I assumed that the OU represented a well known University, no need to invoke the dreaded cricket terms, although I realise now that was wrong because then there would be no need for the word ‘over’.

• Posted April 17, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

You’ve changed your email address – both should work now.

Please be careful when posting alternative clues/answers. This one is borderline.

• number33
          Posted April 17, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry Dave, I like my new icon, that’s just how I feel about some of these clues.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – I think you should have left the P off the BFG for your name – then you would have been a Roald Dahl book! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif
      I also started off with the wrong answer for 23a but couldn’t explain it so thought a bit more and then the light dawned.
      It’s only Saturday and Sunday crosswords ie Prize puzzles that you need to be a bit (quite a big bit) careful about what you say.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Boy that was hard ! I don’t know why 14a took me so long,might be something about the obscurity of the clue. I’m blowed if I can see the connection between the “fodder” and the solution in 4d and 8d, despite the hints. I needed the dictionary to get the spelling of 18a right.Thanks Bd and thanks to the setter as well.

Posted April 12, 2014 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

It took me ages to get a toehold, then the NE corner fell into place, then the rest of the grid. A tough but satisfying solve, about 4*/4* for me. 14a was my favourite – a real corker. Thanks to the setter, and to Prolixic for the hints.

22. Framboise
    Posted April 13, 2014 at 6:38 am | Permalink

I found this really difficult and badly needed the hints -still working on 18a which is driving me mad! A big thang you to the setter, BD and Prolixic. For me a …./… !

• Framboise
      Posted April 13, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Got 18a, the relief is immense! Definitely my favourite although maddening clue.

23. Kingsley
    Posted April 13, 2014 at 7:07 am | Permalink

I am totally baffled by 27a. I think I know who “Ross” is – my checking letters suggest that his surname fits in – and that then suggests two words which appear to have nothing to do with “money” or “finer details”. Can someone help?

• Jezza
      Posted April 13, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Not sure what you mean by ‘Ross’… but, another word for a rick (as in hay), goes inside (engrossed by) a slang term for money to give a noun which means the finer details, or the essentials.

• Kingsley
        Posted April 13, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Thank you, Jezza, my thinking was way off line! My reference to “Ross” was a Freudian slip (and I can’t say more for fear of being banished to the naughty corner for hinting at another – [wrong] – answer). I thought Rick was a name and I was fooled by the capital letter, which actually was there only because “rick” was the first word in the clue!
        But got it now, thank you!

24. weekendwanda
    Posted April 13, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

I agree very difficult for a Saturday. 27a excellent when I got it. Solution obvious for 24a but did not spot the anagram till I read the hint. Completed all unaided apart from one for which I used electronic help. Cannot now understand why I did not get it and wish I had persisted. Does not seem to have caused anyone else a problem – 8d. Often it is the long clues which help the solve but on this occasion I found them slow to solve – in fact the difficult to spell word at 18a was quicker for me than most of the others!.Thanks setter I think I certainly learned through doing this. Thanks Prolixic, Big Dave and Bloggers.

25. Little Dave
    Posted April 13, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I must confess that I found this a bit clunky with some dodgy clues – 23a and 19d. Perhaps I am being too picky after watching West Brom throw away a 3 goal lead? Anyway, got it done and now getting ready to watch the final session of the golf. Get in the Hole! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

26. R1kx