Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs where the water is about to be turned off while the water company connects up the new pipes it has been laying in our road for the last fortnight.

After last week’s Giovanni puzzle, which divided opinion between those who found it very easy, and those who didn’t, I think that this week we are back to the more normal level of Friday challenge, and *** difficulty for me.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined.

1a           I have dessert with dram being brought round plane (4-6)
{ DIVE BOMBER } A shortened form of ‘I have’ and a type of dessert, inside the abbreviation for dram, giving a sort of warplane.

6a           A hundred in English house? It makes for increased sound (4)
{ ECHO } English and an abbreviation for house with the Roman numeral for 100 between them.

10a         A sign of something missing? Trouble with that hat going astray (5)
{ CARET } Another word for trouble, followed by T (that without hat), giving a proofreader’s mark.

11a         Adhesive stuff — a lot peels off (9)
{ SELLOTAPE } Anagram (off) of  A LOT PEELS.

12a         Maiden starts song, having caught the French disease (7)
{ MALARIA } The abbreviation for Maiden on a cricket scorecard followed by an operatic solo with a version of the French definite article inside it.

13a         Like a cloud far away or close — farm animal briefly takes shelter (7)
{ NEBULAR } This describes a cloud seen by astronomers. A farm animal with the final L missing (briefly) inside a word for close at hand.

14a         Deigned to provide account of last bit of prisoner’s escape over wall (12)
{ CONDESCENDED } Split (3,9) this could describe what happened after the usual prisoner got to the top of the wall.

18a         Moving faster, manoeuvring around edge of town, runs into gang (12)
{ TRANSFERRING } An anagram (manoeuvring) of FASTER wrapped around the last letter of town, followed by the cricketing abbreviation for runs, and another word for gang.

21a         Area only half visible? Fix a light (3-4)
{ ARC LAMP } The first half of Area followed by a word for fix or hold together.

23a         Dare to start again, quietly at first (7)
{ PRESUME } The musical sign for ‘quietly’ followed by ‘start again’.

24a         Outlandish request — go mad (9)
{ GROTESQUE } Anagram (mad) of REQUEST GO.

25a         Giant-killer is dead keen (5)
{ DAVID } The giant was called Goliath. An abbreviation for Dead followed by a word for keen or enthusiastic.

26a         Archbishop calling for union repeatedly (4)
{ TUTU } An abbreviation for Trade Union, repeated, gives a well-known South African cleric.

27a         River shifting at speed well below the surface (4-6)
{ DEEP-SEATED } One of several rivers of that name followed by an anagram (shifting) of AT SPEED.

1d           Run off, making departure across river (6)
{ DECAMP } An East Anglian river with an abbreviation for ‘departed’  wrapped around it.

2d           Potent anger with one very upset at the outset (6)
{ VIRILE } Put together the Roman numeral for one and an abbreviation for Very, reverse them (upset), then add a verb meaning to anger or annoy.

3d           A chamber’s stool rickety? Such may be stood upon with trepidation! (8,6)
{ BATHROOM SCALES } Anagram (rickety) of A CHAMBER’S STOOL.

4d           Grieve for the loss of composer reportedly in ruin (9)
{ MISHANDLE } This sounds like (reportedly) someone saying that they grieve for or regret the absence of the composer of Messiah.

5d           Woman ‘well-endowed’ must shed several bits (5)
{ ELLEN } This woman’s name is hidden (must shed several bits) in the clue.

7d           Cleaner is cautious when boy interrupts (8)
{ CHARLADY } A slightly archaic word for cautious with another word for boy inside it.

8d           Control where plane above IOW may be heard (8)
{ OVERRIDE } This sounds like (may be heard) ‘over’ and a town on the Isle of Wight.

9d           Ambiguous words with rude tone led Ben astray (6,8)
{ DOUBLE ENTENDRE } Anagram (astray) of RUDE TONE LED BEN.

15d         Fight obsequious humbug, did you say? Refuse to go there (9)
{ SCRAPHEAP } ‘Refuse’ in this case means ‘rubbish’. A word for a fight, followed by a homophone (did you say?) of a very ‘umble character from David Copperfield.

16d         Someone saintly and correct penning article that’s plainly expressed (8)
{ STRAIGHT } An abbreviation for a saint, followed by a word for correct with an indefinite article inside it.

17d         Timepiece inaccurate? Be careful! (5,3)
{ WATCH OUT } How you might describe the timepiece on your wrist being wrong.

19d         Dog must go to its doctor on account of horsy leap (6)
{ CURVET } A disparaging word for a dog followed by an animal doctor, giving a dressage manoeuvre.

20d         Was No. 1 person of commercial given attention outside? (6)
{ HEADED } A short word for a commercial inside a word for attention.

22d         Irritation shown by Queen when food is brought round (5)
{ PIQUE } An abbreviation for Queen inside a variety of food.

The Quick Crossword pun { CONNED }{ OWNING } = { CONDONING }

Now I’m off to contact the insurance company after a very large Polish lorry knocked our front wall down last night while trying to squeeze past the road works – though what a 40-ton truck was doing down a road with a 7 ton weight limit is anyone’s guess.

1. Wayne
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Agree with *** for difficulty, still can’t see where the ‘plane’ comes into 8d. Apart from that i found it very enjoyable. Thanx to setter and to DT for review.

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I think the plane is just flying over the Isle of Wight town.

• Wayne
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Does ‘plane’ then need to be in the clue?

• Deep Threat
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

You don’t get much of a surface reading if it isn’t.

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, I suppose you could ask the question…Where above the IOW is the plane flying? Answer…over Rhyde (ride)

• Miffypops
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Careful Mary. You know what happened to Kath

2. angel
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Thanks Giovanni, this was a perfect combination of grey matter exercise and humour. ***/****. Fav was probably 3d. 19d new to me but obvious.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Yes, I agree with DT’s assessment 3*/3*. I found this a tricky but very enjoyable solve with perseverance paying off.

Without DT’s hint I would never have understood the “obsequious humbug” part of the wordplay for 15a.

19d was a new word for me, but easy to work out from the clue. 14a was my favourite.

Many thanks to the Don and to DT.

4. Senf
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Well, I’m sorry DT, I will have to disagree. I finished this comfortably before lights out last night, which for me is very unusual for a Giovanni, so between * and ** for difficulty and ***. Favourites 3d and 9d. Thanks to The Don and to DT.

5. Graham
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Sorry to hear about your wall, did the blighter stop?.Needed a few of the hints today & a couple of new words for me as
    In 10A & 19D. 14 D was my favourite clue.Many thanks to the setter & DT for much needed review, back to repairing the porch or should I say rebuilding the thing.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

He didn’t have much option. He couldn’t get round the corner, and had to reverse about a quarter of a mile to be able to turn. Another SatNav triumph!

Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Oh dear – poor you.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gifI do hope that wall and water problems get sorted out soon.

6. Beaver
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Quite a challenging puzzle today with very few ‘give aways’ ,wide variety of clues, so agree with DT that it represented the usual Friday challenge and a***/*** is fine ,maybe ***/****,although the answer to 15d was apparent, needed DT’ s review for the ‘obsequious humbug’ bit – thanks; is the rider in the 19d pic King Charles, seen it before in the dim and distant..

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

The caption for the 19d picture in Google Images is simply ‘Horse and Rider Performing a Curvet about 1700 Dirck Maas, Dutch, 1656–1717’, so probably not King Charles, though there are other similar images which may be.

• Beaver
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thanks-might be the Duke of Monmouth,who always looked bewigged-1649-1685.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I found this quite tricky while I was doing it but can’t see why now. I think 3* difficulty but probably nearer 4* for enjoyment.
    I was terribly slow to get started and couldn’t see 14 and 18a for ages. I kept thinking of ‘elastoplast’ for 11a and it clearly wasn’t that but, having thought of it, couldn’t think of anything else. Dim, or what?
    I didn’t know 19d but it was easy enough to work out. I also couldn’t remember 10a for far too long although I knew what I was after.
    I liked 21 and 24a and 9 and 15d. My favourite by a long way was 3d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and Deep Threat.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Thank you DG, for a change I knew all the words in the puzzle ! Thanks DT for your review and hints. There were one or two answers that I had which took me a while to decode and understand the wordplay 18a in particular.

9. timbo
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Thanx to setter and DT for review
    A ** for me too for difficulty today but then again some of the “easier” ones I find are ***. I suppose it’s just down to how your mind works (nature or nurture)

As with others, 2 new words for me; 10a and 19d though I managed them from the clue I had to check them in the BRB.
    Thanks for the explanation for 15d, wouldn’t have made that connection.
    Favourites 14a and 3d

Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

3*/4* for me. A nice mixture of clues, and a very enjoyable puzzle. Many thanks to Giovanni, and to DT for the review.

11. Derek
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle from Giovanni with many interesting clues!

8d was my favourite – my parents finished their lives in that town.

Mixed weather today – first rain then blue sky filled with fluffy cumulus clouds.

12. BigBoab
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Great crossword and a terrific review, many thanks to Giovanni and DT.

13. neveracrossword
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Somewhat easier than the average Friday offering, but an enjoyable workout.

14. mary
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I found this quite tough going although I didn’t need to use the blog, thanks DT, I have never heard of that ‘horsy’ leap, no favourite today except if I was pushed I would say 14a, which made me smile, I actually sat on the doorstep in the sun with Shadow for twenty minutes this morning!!! Earthquakes yesterday, what next!!! It was felt quite strongly 12 miles away from here!!! Frightening http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted February 21, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Earthquakes in UK? You are kidding surely. They are the most frightening things. In Tokyo they have them every day. Try being on the 30th floor of a high rise in an earthquake, the whole thing sways!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Perhaps the quake was caused by a Polish truck knocking over a wall? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 21, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

15. Clarky
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this Friday puzzle but I did need a few hints to preserve the rest of my hair. New words at 10 and 19, though the former probably isn’t, really.
    3a, favourite, followed by 21a and 9d.
    Thanks to Giovanni and DT.

16. Miffypops
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Not the easiest of solves but better than last week. Thanks to The Don and to DT. The sun is shining here in Downtown L I. Coventry v Richmond tomorrow at 2.00pm followed by England Ireland at 5.00pm. It could be a boozy weekend. After a fortnight of thinking about the kitchen, I might start fitting cupboards to the left hand side next week. But then again………..

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Miffypops, KO tomorrow for England v Ireland is 16:00 (UK time). Don’t miss the first half!

• Miffypops
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I knew that. I have to leave Coventry Rugby Club as soon as the game finishes and drive like the very devil himself to get back here as soon after kick off as possible. Not perfect but needs must. Thanks for thinking of me though.

• spindrift
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

You could do what I did one match last year. Record the game then avoid all sources of news, threaten to kill St. Sharon if she tries to tell you the score then watch at your leisure. I managed it but there again my family knew that they would be disinherited from my modest fortune should they have digressed.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Dear Saint Sharon

In my experience, every village pub has a customer who is skilled in such matters as fitting kitchens. Please take the appropriate sum of money from the till (it will be a legitimate business expense) and get said person to fit kitchen without further delay.

Best wishes

CS

• Poppy
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

• Miffypops
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I fixed the Dyson this morning. Enough is enough. I do not want to wear myself out.

• Una
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

• Poppy
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Or you could go really wild & start on t’other sidehttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

• SheilaP
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Or forget the rugby, & do the whole lot…..not likely to happen me thinks.

• Miffypops
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

The right hand side is finished Poppy (almost) There were five children plus Mum and Mad and Mum’s Mum in our little house where I grew up. Saint Sharon has more kitchen space with half a kitchen than my Mum ever had. There are only two of us. I have the curling to watch and The Best Of Archy And Mehitabel to read. Like I said. I may think about it next week.

• Poppy
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

• Una
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

But wasn’t that in the last centuary, at least 50 years ago ?

17. SheilaP
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Managed without hints today, hurrah, but with a bit of electronic help I’m afraid, but that’s pretty good for us. Very enjoyable I thought & liked 15d best. **/*** . Thank you to the setter & to DT for the hints. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

For once I seem to be on the same track as quite a few people. 10a and 19d are new to me, but both are words I am glad to know , at long last. IOW didn’t mean a thing to me but there were very few alternatives to the solution.I thought it was quite doable and fun.Favourite has to be 3d(and /or perhaps 14a although I have seen it before).Thanks to the Don for such a well crafted crossword and Deep Threat for explanations.

19. Poppy
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed a tussle with this one, but caved in for a couple of hints in the end. Thanks so much DT, and do hope wall & water situations are improving rapidly… I’ll be boringly consistent so no guesses which one was my fave (18d horses!). 3d made me smile, and once I’d stopped trying to fit Uriah into 15d, I was done and dusted. Thank you setter. I missed yesterday as was up in London to see the astonishing Dale Chihuly glass sculptures. And with that a bonus of some Bob Dylan paintings well as his wrought iron screens made up of tools. I reckon he could finish off Miffypops kitchen if needed…. Greetings to all.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Speaking of Dylan, he will tour Europe in June and July but not come to England. I feel a trip to Norway or Denmark coming on. we too went to The Hlcyon Gallery to see Dylan’s efforts. The Wrought Iron work was fun. I have one of his paintings but its only colouring in really. More money than sense I feel.

• Poppy
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

A friend of ours (brilliant musician) was working in the USA when Dylan came up the drive of the house where our friend was staying in order to meet him. Our friend was so overcome with the amount of things in his head that he wanted to ask or tell Dylan that he ended up putting out his hand, in his doorway, and he shook Dylan’s hand fervently and simply said “Thank you!” before walking away down his own drive, leaving Dylan standing! But I know what you mean about the colouring in part about his drawings. The Gallery showed us one of the sketches, which had then been enlarged and (as you said) coloured in…. But I’m still playing Modern Times, which I love.

20. Sarah F
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Agree with everyone, a super solve today. 3-4* for interesting and enjoyable work-out. Liked 3d, 14a, 27a and 9d, amongst others!
    Many thanks to Giovanni and Deep Threat.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Another good puzzle from Giovanni. The bottom half went in a treat but the top half took twice as long; full disclosure, there was liberal use of my electronic gizmo when I reached an impasse. So many good clues, how can I choose a favourite. I loved 3d, 15d, 14a … oh, so many more. Thanks Giovanni and DT for review. I hope all issues get settled soon.

22. Chris
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable – I too found the bottom half went in first. I thought it not as hard as some have been this week and there were some nicely disguised anagrams eg 18a.
    Many thanks to Giovanni and DT.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

A really fine Friday puzzle. The only word that we had to check in BRB was 19d. We rather surprised ourselves by knowing what IOW was and had even heard of the correct town. Much appreciated and enjoyed.
    Thanks Giovanni and DT

24. Hrothgar
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Could someone please confirm.
    The DT subscriber Puzzle site has never properly worked for me since it came back.
    I get to the ‘Play Print’ screen but thereafter sod all.
    I’ve managed by printing off the puzzle.
    But today it’s been even worse, couldn’t even get the site at first, then when I did, got farther than before but it wouldn’t save my clue answers, now it saves OK but after clicking on ‘Submit’ nothing happens.
    I E-mailed the DT 5 days ago but no response.
    I’m fed up with their totally useless IT.
    Extremely annoying.

25. Owdoo
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Now that was a bit more of a challenge! And with added pressure for me today. A colleague saw the printed out grid in my hand as we travelled down in the lift at work. “Oh, you’re doing a cryptic crossword. I find them impossible. Can you finish them?” he asked. “Er, yes, usually” I replied somewhat rashly, forgetting it was Friday. This of course meant that I dare not return to my desk with it unfinished but a full lunch break later I put in the last answer to 10a with a combination of relief and satisfaction!

I wasn’t familiar with the name of the proof reader’s mark, nor the dressage move, but both were very solvable from the rest of the clue. Some tricky clues in there but some very entertaining ones as well. ****/**** for me today.

Thanks setter for a good Friday workout and DT for the blog.

26. Cornishpasty
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Just finished it without resorting to BD hints. I did need the explanation re that hat though.

27. gazza
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Well done Wales. They played well, but luckily France looked like they had been organised by Monsieur Haricot.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

A satisfying crossword, and all the answers but one came up without too much brain-strain. I’m not well up on proofreading terms, so had to look up 10a. 8a was probably my favourite. Many thanks to Giovanni, and to Deep Threat for the review and hints.

29. Tstrummer
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

This one needed a bit of head scratching and pencil sucking (tobacco substitute – it doesn’t work) so after some of Kentucky’s finest, with just a hint of Virginia, it all became clear. Thanks to the Don for the challenge and DT for the well-illustrated hints. PS: in your intro DT, be aware that ‘lay’ is a transitive verb …

• Miffypops
      Posted February 22, 2014 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Whats one of them?

Posted February 22, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Whew!

• Deep Threat
      Posted February 22, 2014 at 8:50 am | Permalink

If you are going to play the pedant, Tstrummer, you should at least read what is written. The clause ‘it has been laying in our road for the last fortnight’ is adjectival, and qualifies ‘the new pipes’, and those pipes are the object of the verb phrase ‘has been laying’. In a more formal setting the adjectival clause might have been introduced by ‘which’, thus making the relationship explicit, but such relative pronouns are commonly elided in conversational use, and the blog intro is intended to be conversational.

• spindrift
        Posted February 22, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

pardon?

• Hrothgar
        Posted February 23, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Brilliant, Deep Threat

Posted February 22, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni and to Deep Threat for the review and hint. A super puzzle, I agree with Deep Threat’s ratings. Most entertaining puzzle, 19d was a new word for me, but I got it from the wordplay. Didn’t need the hints today, favourite was 14a, a real penny drop moment. Finished the puzzle yesterday on the way to Stone, but forgot to post my comments.