Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

A little piece of cheese and a dance with Saint Sharon always goes down well whilst completing the crossword. Thank you Rufus for providing those along with a steady reliable solve. I wish we had a need for a 21d but I fear it is brollies all the way this week.

1a    Knock down price — motto of rival trader? (10)
{COMPETITOR} Anagram (knock down) of PRICE MOTTO

6a    Some leg of beef (4)
{CALF} Part of one’s leg. A young steer. (who looked for a hidden word?)

10a    Vessel that’s found in the kitchen bin, perhaps (5)
{LINER} A large ocean going passenger vehicle perhaps and something found inside the kitchen waste bin.

11a    French gear manufacturer (9)
{COUTURIER} A clothing manufacturer from France

12a    Well held! (8)
{ESTEEMED} To be well thought of.

13a    Stitch holding in tendon (5)
{SINEW} To embroider (three letters) with the word IN inserted (holding)

15a    Frank goes to discuss outside (4-3)
{OPEN-AIR} Candid. Broadcast. Not inside.

17a    Being at home, possibly greet a number (7)
{INTEGER} The usual suspect for at home followed by an anagram (possibly) of GREET

19a    It helps to secure temporary accommodation (3-4)
{GUY -ROPE} An anchor for a tent (see note at bottom of review)

21a    Coppers must accept an imposed punishment (7)
{PENANCE} Coppers as in small change containing the word AN from the clue give a form of punishment as given by a priest after confession for example

22a    When to see stars near the end of August (5)
{NIGHT} I ask you. When will you see the stars? An archaic four letter word meaning close by followed by the last letter of AugusT. If you are still struggling it won’t be during the day

24a    Two music-makers dance (8)
{HORNPIPE} Two musical instruments together will give a dance apparently favoured by sailors

27a    Harmonics could be obvious ones (9)
{OVERTONES} an adjective meaning obvious followed by ONES.

28a    Ship, possibly a drifter (5)
{TRAMP} Another double definition. A cargo steamer or a vagrant

29a    A sporting investment aid (4)
{ABET} The A from the clue and a sporting investment as in a wager. To help or assist.

30a    It provides food with tea, milk etc free (4,6)
{MEAL TICKET} Anagram (Free) of TEA MILK ETC.

1d    Mount for a revolver (4)
{COLT} A young horse or an American make of pistol

2d    Where there’s some order in retreat (9)
{MONASTERY} Where monks live

3d    A breeding place for high fliers (5)
{EYRIE} The nest of Americas national emblem

4d    Immigrant proceeds right (7)
{INCOMER} Ones wages or salary followed by the abbreviation for R(ight)

5d    Oedipus complex God’s work? (4,3)
{OPUS DEI} Anagram (complex) of OEDIPUS

7d    Tall story accepted by an outsider (5)
{ALIEN} A three letter fib inside (accepted) an will give a word meaning foreigner

8d    Put on guard from a combination of fear and wonder (10)
{FOREWARNED} Anagram (combination of) of FEAR and WONDER meaning to have been previously alerted

9d    Keeps emphasising that’s how one applies liniment (4,2,2)
{RUBS IT IN} A clever double definition. The first being to constantly refer to something embarrassing in order to get on another person’s nerves.

14d    Awful woman novelist that has blue veins (10)
{GORGONZOLA} Medusa, Stheno or Euryale perhaps followed by a French author will give you a type of cheese. Mmmmm Cheese!

16d    He’s lost faith in a teapot’s brewing (8)
{APOSTATE} Anagram (brewing) of A TEAPOTS will provide one who has abandoned one’s faith.

18d    Crew on board may have come across it (9)
{GANGPLANK} What a pirate might make you walk is also the means to board ship

20d    Hence an adjustment is made to improve things (7)
{ENHANCE} An easy anagram (adjustment) of HENCE AN

21d    A shady put-up job (7)
{PARASOL] what provides shade in the summer?

23d    Land of the living? (5)
{GLEBE} The land surrounding a church. A vicar’s salary is called his living

25d    Sort of dish of cooked tripe (5)
{PETRI} Anagram (cooked of TRIPE. One from my schooldays. A dish used in a laboratory to grow cultures. Named after a German bacteriologist. (Thanks google)

26d    Ends up in bird’s place in front of the fire? (4)
{SPIT} A four letter word meaning ends reversed (up) will give you what a chicken might be placed on to roast over an open fire

Thanks to Ronnie Lane for his wonderful music this morning. Thanks to BD for 11ac and thanks to Saint Sharon for pointing out 19 ac requires an answer of (3,4) and TENT PEG ain’t it.

The Quick crossword pun: (penny} + {tense} = {penitence}

1. skempie
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Nice steady solve today with one or two tricky ones – I was held up for a while on 23D after convincing myself that it had to be GREEN D’Oh.

Sorry I couldn’t make it Saturday, but after the Mrs took me shopping and then opened the wine, I realised I couldn’t get back in time for the rugby http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Both games were on at full blast in the pub!

• skempie
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately the wife was on full blast on the wine bottle and the bus stop is too far from the pub for me to walk (can only manage 200 yards these days) and I won’t drink and drive

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

In that case I am, for the first time, glad that I couldn’t get there!

• wearedoomed
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

23d was a poor clue!

• Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

,,, in your opinion. I thought it was great.

Please don’t use capitals when posting in future – I have removed them today.

2. Poppy
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Fun to read the blog for Saturday’s Bash. What a cake CS! Thanks, Andy, for loads of pics. On to today’s puzzle. Really enjoyed this one. Anything where something equine gets a mention right at the top gets my vote! Liked 12a, but 14d was my favourite. Wasted a silly amount of time trying to spell Corbusier in a way that would make it fit 11a, so took a while for the penny to drop with a great clang. Thank you setter, and to Miffypops – love the cheese & dancing mention!

3. Roland
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Aaaahhh……..so that’s how 26d works is it? I’d convinced myself that it was P (Ends UP) inside SIT (meaning a place for a bird – like Roost perhaps???), giving the correct answer. Your explanation makes much more sense, and I’m now annoyed with myself for not seeing it. Many thanks to Rufus for the challenge, and to Miffypops for the review. I found this more difficult than usual for a Monday.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Roland, I went down the same wrong track with 26d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

• Roland
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks RD – good to know it’s not just me, Still very annoying though! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

26d was one of my last answers – couldn’t make sense of it for ages.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I agree with MP’s rating of 2*/3* for this enjoyable start to the week.

23d was my last one in and a new word for me, and I needed MP’s explanation for the wordplay for 26d.

1a was my favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus. I made a mistake at 19a which made the important 14d impossible ! The penny dropped eventually and finally managed to finish the SW corner. 23d new word for me. Good fun and thanks to Miffypops for your review and hints.

• McMillibar
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Me too – it was a nice little booby-trap and probably intentional.

• Sweet William
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I had “key hole” as well. In retrospect can’t think why ! Certainly made 14d a bit tricky.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I also had a problem with 19a, wanting very badly to put in “tent peg” like M’pops. Then I thought it was a pole, then hole, fortunately I then got 14d and it fell into place.

6. Senf
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Very straightforward, thanks to Rufus and */***. All but 2 finished before lights out last night. One of those was 14d which I “got” just after lights out, and before eyes closed. That made it easy to finish with last one in 27a this morning. Favorite would have to be 14d.

7. pommers
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Putting SHIN for 6a held me up for a bit but I’m well pleased today. Completed a Rufus without needing a nudge or two from pommette. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifReally not on the right wavelength for all the cryptic and double definitions. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

**/*** from me with 23d favourite.

Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

• williamus
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Yes… I got shin first too which held me up for a few minutes in the NE. Clever really, leaving two possibilities but only one right answer.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I thought about shin too but, luckily, didn’t put it in.

• pommers
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Yeah, really bad news because when you come to the obvious anagram at 8d there is an N in the fodder, D’OH!

Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

At least I didn’t get as far as writing it in.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

8. bifield
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle just right for me this morning, no real problems although 23d had me rooting through the depths of my brain for the answer. Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the blog. Also thanks to BD et al for a fantastic Saturday afternoon.

9. Hangman1009
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable, whilst sitting and waiting for the MOT on my jalopy. 5d may be my favourite clue of all time. It didn’t help that I had GREEN in for 23d. Thanks to BD and Miffypops. ML

10. Angel
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Not a barrel of laughs but entertaining enough to help overcome Monday morning blues which are also aided by sunshine but no rain (yet!). 25d new to me. Can’t decide between 14d and 23d for fav. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops. ***/**.

11. Outnumbered
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

*/** for me today. At least 8 cryptic defs, which is a few too many for my preference.

12. McMillibar
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I was hopeful that I could wish you all a good ‘morning’, as it turned out I have to say good ‘afternoon’ such was the difficulty of some of the clues on the Western side for me hampered largely by having entered ‘KEYHOLE’ for 19a. I did have a suspicion about it but it fitted with all checking letters except the first. Last in was 6a which I did not like too much. Needed the hints today to tell me that I had 23 wrong – never heard of this word. Otherwise a goodly workout for Monday to which I’ll attach ***/*** Liked 1d and 26d & 12a.

Wow, its dry today… and the atmosphere is not in a hurry to be somewhere else! Quite Springlike in fact.

Thank you, Miffy for sorting out my error and to Rufus for the fun challenge.

• pommers
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Raining here and windy enough to blow the cats off the roof, not that they go up there in the wet http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

13. Beaver
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Fine for a Monday after a ” sporty ” weekend ( brownie points low) a */*** for me, like other solvers had Green in mind for 23D until I got 29A,then had Grebe-they do have floating nests!, until I thought of the word for the answer, heard it before but didn’t know what it was till I checked-Geronimo. 5d the outstanding clue ,but it has occurred before Thanks to M for the picks and a considerate setter.

14. Graham Wall
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

A nice steady strolll with today’s offering which I rate **/*** I think 23D was my favourite smiler. Thanks to Miffypops. For the blog not required today but always a pleasure to read a well executed review.

15. mary
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Miffypops and thanks for the blog, I mostly enjoyed this today but got held up with 23d and 29a, eventually getting them after a lot of perservation!! Fav clues 9d and 21d, hasn’t 12a that is the expression ‘well held’ got something to do with cricket too?? so maybe a bit of misdirection there! A two to three star for myself because of SW corner

Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

. . . here I am, and you’re nicked too – however did I miss that glaring example of sneakiness? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

16. mary
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Sunny blue skies here at the moment but not forecast to last unfortunately :-(

Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

It can’t make its mind up here – every time I think shall I put a bit of washing out in the sun, by the time I get the pegs out, it clouds over again http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• mary
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

The remedy is sue…don’t even think about it!!

17. SheilaP
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Always enjoy Monday’s crossword. I think the clues are easier for me to understand what the setter is looking for. Its been a lovely day so far here on the east coast, cold but nice & sunny. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I only had one problem, I put axle for 1d,which made 1a impossible. Took a guess at 23d, had heard of Glebe road in Kilburn, then when I looked at the hints, remembered that Glebe Road was near a church, interesting. Favourite was 14d with 2d a close second. Great start to the week, very enjoyable. Was 2*/3* for me. Raining now in Central London after some blue sky.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

A nice, straightforward puzzle which raised a few smiles. I liked the cheesy one, and the very simple but clever 23d. Thanks to Rufus for this gentle diversion from watching the rain, and t Miffypops for the review.

20. williamus
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Another excellent Monday puzzle from Rufus. **/**** for me. Great fun to do but with a few traps for the over-confident ( i.e. me) to fall into… Traces of Tipp-Ex in evidence today, I’m afraid. I did resort to the BRB for 23d which was new for me. 30a my favourite which shows how clever a simple anagram can be made (as indeed was 5d). Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for another top-drawer review. Cheers

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Late here today – been doing other stuff, and I’m not telling anyone what.
    I would agree with 2* difficulty and 3* and a bit for enjoyment.
    Like others I had a spot of bother with 23 and 26d. I also nearly put ‘shin’ for 6a.
    My main problem was one that I managed to make all for myself. I was absolutely sure that my answer for 5d was right – it was but it made all kinds of trouble when put in the space for 4d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    I liked 11 and 24a and 9 and 25d. I loved 14d, my favourite.
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops, especially as I now have a far better understanding of what goes into providing the hints!

22. Derek
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Another pleasant puzzle from Rufus to start the week.

Faves : 27a, 28a, 9d & 14d.
    I am very fond of that cheese especially spread on oatcakes!

Weather here is rather dampish but nothing like what you all have been suffering in good old beery GB!

Do you think Scotland will split away from England & Wales á la Salmond?

I remember him from my days at GU in Glesca!

Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I always enjoy the Rufus puzzles. So many mis-directions today, especially with 19a, I spent far, far too much time on that and 14d, I think as much as I did for the rest of the puzzle. It’s hard to choose a favourite as there are so many good ones, but I think 14d has to be it, and also one of my (sorry Kath) favourite cheeses. I didn’t remember the alternative spelling for 3d, so that confused me for a bit.

Thanks to Rufus for the usual entertainment, and to M’pops for the hints; only needed for 3d.

Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I’m still watching!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• mary
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Missed mine though http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Quite sneaky of you to put “fav clues” instead of “favourites” though :wink:

Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Since I’m now on the warpath I’m wondering what crime I can do you for – aiding and abetting a known criminal – that’ll do!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Not me, guv! A clear case of mistaken identity.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

• mary
            Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Got to get round Kath somehow…one to me http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I’ll just pop back to have a look . . .

• mary
            Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Too late

24. Collywobbles
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

As usual, a very clever puzzle from Rufus which provided considerable enjoyment. Thanks to him and MP for the helpful hints

Posted February 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

The tricky bits in this one all seemed to be with the shorter words, and parsing 26d was the last one to yield. Good fun.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

Have just heard on the news that some of you are experiencing great wetness at present. Stay safe everyone.

26. Cornishpasty
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Just finished it but needed help with 23d, I knew it was land associated with a church living but could not remember the term. It’s warmed up Tom-25c so will now go for a stroll g to the post office!

27. Little Dave
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I actually found this quite challenging and pondered on a few on my way home. 14d was my favourite. A great start to the week. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

Posted February 10, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Another great puzzle from Rufus. Thanks for a few hints , Miffypops.

29. Owdoo
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

I too found this a straight forward solve over lunch until I was left with just 23d. I managed to guess it as I could only think of 3 words that fitted the checking letters and the other 2 were birds so I plumped for the third, having seen the word on village street signs usually followed by “Close” or “Road”. A quick google search then filled in the gap in my knowledge (I don’t have my BRB at work) so now I know whey they give some streets a name like that!

Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

30. Tstrummer
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 2:18 am | Permalink

I thought this was a piece of cake until I got to the SW corner and 23d, my last one in. After a bit of brain beating I got there by the same process of elimination as Owdoo above. A good Monday workout from Rufus, so thanks to him, and to MP for the review. PS: Why were people so stumped by 19a? Did no one ever go camping? 14d was my favourite clue for quite a while. 3*/3* for me

31. small dave
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink

A lot of you are choosing 23d as a favourite clue. I can see why because it is clever, but when like myself you’ve never heard of the archaic word it is pretty impossible to solve. Got the rest.

32. Catnap
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I always find Rufus’s puzzles delightful, especially when I can manage to do them!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif There were many chuckles in this one — from Mr Catnap as well when I read them out to him.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif 23d was my fave, closely followed by 6a, 10a, 2d, 9d, 14d, and 18d.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your hints, Miffypops, although I didn’t use them at the time. Most useful now, though, for checking answers and parsing. Do like your picture for 9d. How very apt!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    Many thanks to you both, Rufus and Miffypops. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif