Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Libellule is busy this morning so we’re doing a swap this week. That gives me the opportunity to blog this not too difficult but very enjoyable puzzle from the indefatigable Rufus. Do let us know how you got on.
If you are one of our many anonymous readers now would be a good time to introduce yourself – we are (on the whole) a friendly little community and you’re sure to be made welcome.

Across Clues

1a  Alarm rattles building (7)
{STARTLE} – an anagram (building) of RATTLES.

5a  It may lead to quick duck for any batsman (7)
{BOUNCER} – the duck here could be either a score of zero or a quick movement to avoid getting hit.

9a  Backing writer or flier (5)
{ROBIN} – put together something you write with and OR then reverse (backing) it all.

10a  Throw a fight and spend night worrying? (4,5)
{TOSS ABOUT} – split as (4,1,4) to mean throw a fight.

11a  Carriers available for small charges (10)
{PUSHCHAIRS} – … once they’ve outgrown their prams.

12a  Such wolves are no longer (4)
{WERE} – the prefix for these wolves gives the impression that they existed only in the past (though, of course, they never existed at all).

14a  Flogged by a stock-holder? (12)
{HORSEWHIPPED} – stock can be either farm animals or the handle of a flogger.

18a  They use first impressions to eradicate wrong types (5-7)
{PROOF-READERS} – those seeking to detect and correct errors in initial printings.

21a  Point to agent in sight (4)
{ESPY} – here’s our favourite word once more. A point of the compass is followed by a secret agent.

22a  They may be eaten in Morocco, inviting glances (6,4)
{SHEEP’S EYES} – double definition – a delicacy for some North Africans or wistful amorous looks.

25a  They are utterly conclusive (4,5)
{LAST WORDS} – those of General John Sedgwick were reported to have been “They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist….”.

26a  He has to be what he is (5)
{OWNER} – in order to be this he must have or possess something.

27a  Laughs at what could be desired (7)
{DERIDES} – an anagram (what could be) of DESIRED.

28a  Sort of safe seat high-flier appreciates in difficulty (7)
{EJECTOR} – this high-flier could be a fighter pilot.

Down Clues

1d  Wild capers may get you into one (6)
{SCRAPE} – an anagram (wild) of CAPERS.

2d  Sailor is married to Elizabeth — a superior lady (6)
{ABBESS} – an abbreviation for a sailor followed by (married to) one of the many shortened names for Elizabeth. Rufus has a variation of this clue in today’s Guardian.

3d  In fact, solo composition is a method of teaching music (5,3-2)
{TONIC SOL-FA} – an anagram (composition) of IN FACT SOLO.

4d  One playing minor part in run (5)
{EXTRA} – double definition, the second a run that’s not credited to any individual batsman.

5d  Were debts spread out? Yes! (9)
{BESTREWED} – an anagram (spread out) of WERE DEBTS.

6d  State university with rising capital investment (4)
{UTAH} – start with U(niversity) and then reverse (rising, in a down clue) a capital investment (where capital means relating to the head and investment means something worn).

7d  New couples finally succeeded to become big shots (5-3)
{CLOSE-UPS} – an anagram (new) of COUPLES followed (finally) by the abbreviation for succeeded.

8d  Arrested, perhaps, and recovered tyres (8)
{RETREADS} – these tyres have been re-covered. They’re an anagram (perhaps) of ARRESTED.

13d  Little may be seen through it (10)
{MICROSCOPE} – cryptic definition of a scientific instrument.

15d  They are known to go round with crooks (9)
{SHEPHERDS} – crooks here are not criminals but inanimate objects.

16d  Asked for and attracted interest (8)
{APPEALED} – double definition, the first meaning asked for a decision (from an umpire, perhaps).

17d  He does his writing in bars (8)
{COMPOSER} – bars here are a fixed number of beats, written on a stave.

19d  A child of the pen (6)
{CYGNET} – … and her partner the cob.

20d  Loan shark employer admits game being up (6)
{USURER} – an employer contains the reversal (being up, in a down clue) of the abbreviation for a 15-a-side game.

23d  Result in directions being put to wrong use (5)
{ENSUE} – two cardinal points (directions) followed by an anagram (wrong) of USE.

24d  Very impressed, we put in small announcement (4)
{AWED} – insert WE in an abbreviated announcement.

Out of many good clues I’d select 5a and 25a as my top two. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {CAUGHT} + {MARSHAL} = {COURT MARTIAL}

1. skempie
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Enjoyable pangram (nearly, just realised that the Z is in the quickie, D’Oh) today with no real problem (tbh had more problems with the quickie). Not too sure about 7D though – surely ”finally succeeded’ points to the letter D rather than the required S.

Dank miserable day here today, but we’re promised some better weather for the rest of the week (well, brighter at least).

Not a good start to the week, could be a whitewash :- Daily Advertiser 1 : Crossword 0

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Finally here means at the end of the answer. S stands for succeeded in, for example, a list of monarchs in time order (as Rabbit Dave surmises below).

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve never seen ‘s’ for succeeded but I suppose we are always learning

• mary
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I am with you on 7d skempie

• Roland
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Agree ref 7d. It was obvious what the answer was, but I thought it implied a d rather than an s too. Many thanks to Rufus, and to Gazza for the review.

• Michael
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I agree about the 7d D/S confusion – threw me a bit.

It’s good to see the Cricketing theme is being maintained! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Not for me – what’s good about it, specially as I thought we had a football one as well. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Michael
          Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Don’t worry there’s umpteen Cricketing terms that haven’t been used yet – the theme could run and run – so to speak!

2. Graham
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Good morning from a damp dismal day on the south coast. All done and dusted with no issues, glad that Gazza didnt show a picture of 22A. A nice usual morning romp, many thanks tp Gazza for the review.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Rating: 1*/3*.

I found this puzzle a bit easier than Rufus’ usual Monday fare, with perhaps a tad too many anagrams for my taste (or maybe it just seemed that way due to a very high proportion of them in the down clues across the top). Nevertheless it was still good fun with a lot of amusing and well-constructed clues. I particularly liked 18a and 13d.

I originally thought 7d ought to read “New couples initially succeeded….”, but Gazza’s hint explains the correct wordplay. I assume s = succeeded must refer to its use in genealogy?

Many thanks to Rufus and to Gazza.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus, enjoyable and I found some clues easy but for some reason others difficult ! I had the answer for 7d but thought that the “s” came from “couples”. never knew that “s” was an abbreviation for succeeded. Thanks for the review, hints and photos Gazza – also the explanation of 7d.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I thought this was the most entertaining Rufus puzzle I have seen for quite some time; a pleasure to solve from start to finish.
    Many thanks to Rufus, and to Gazza for the review.

6. mary
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Good Monday morning gazza, the mist hasn’t lifted here yet today a very dull day indeed, off to the cinema to see Judy Dench in Philomeena shortly, so glad to have finished before I leave, I was absolutely stuck on 2d and 9a so thanks for those, I think my favourite clue today is 3d, it was going to be 5d but then I thought about it and thought… isn’t the past tense of ‘bestrew’ bestrewn’ ??? Lots of other likes but not favourites Kath http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Just checking! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• mary
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_exclaim.gifHow many least favourites am I allowed? If it’s only one it has to be 5a

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Hmmm – that complicates things a bit – perhaps you could just say the clue you liked least was whatever it was, in which case you’re still only allowed one! Where did you find your exclamation mark?

• skempie
            Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

The exclamation mark is down the below the comment box, but on the second line (need to click the ‘more…’ button to see it)

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Hi Mary. I too thought the past tense was bestrewn, so I looked it up in the BRB and it gives three possible alternatives: bestrewn, bestrewed and bestrown!

• mary
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thanks RD

• Bluebird
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

How about just “strewn”?
        It was OK as an antique term I suppose.

7. Maggie
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Agree with Skempie on 7d. Favourites 18a & 19d (too clever for me without the hint that one). Thanks to Gazza.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I didn’t have too many problems today so I agree with 2* and 4*.
    As others also did I tried to make 7d an anagram of couples and a ‘D’ until the light dawned and I remembered the meaning of ‘S’.
    I was a bit slow with 14 and 18a. I had alternate letters in 14a and it looked like such an unlikely word that I began to think I had something wrong. My first thought for 11a was ‘babyslings’ – luckily I didn’t put it in – that would really have screwed it all up! I thought 12a was going to be a ‘footbally’ clue – I’m sure there’s a football team or a rugby team called Wolves – maybe not.
    I liked 25 and 26a and 1, 3 and 13d. My favourite was 12a.
    With thanks to Rufus and gazza.
    It’s a really miserable day in Oxford – grey, misty and raining.

• mary
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Football team Kath :-)

Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

That’s the first time I’ve been right about anything so far today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• ChrisH
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I think you’ll also find Warrington Wolves are a Rugby League team.

9. Franny
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this today and had no particular trouble, except that I put ‘lost sleep’ at 10a which held me up for a bit. 22a amused me, as did a number of other clues, so many thanks to Rufus and Gazza. I love the new emoticons and must try to do one. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif Hooray, it worked!

• mary
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifWell done Franny

• Maggie
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

So what do you have to do to get one of the emoticons?

• skempie
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Maggie – thy are at the foot of the page beneath the comment box – note there are two sets – just click on the one you wish to add to your text (its a lot of HTML stuff, but it works)

10. Adelma
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Introducing myself as requested. enjoyable puzzle. Just got stick on a couple of clues, so thanks to Gazza for the hints.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome Adelma. Now that you’ve introduced yourself I hope that we’ll hear from you on a regular basis.

• Maggie
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome Adelma!

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – I remember how long it took me to summon the courage to comment for the first time three and a half years ago – I haven’t shut up since, as I’m sure most will agree! it’s good fun here, especially on a horrible rainy day like today.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me also. I am another one who won’t shut up, but I so enjoy my crosswords, love to chat about themhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

11. McMillibar
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

My second grid completed using the DT for iPad (free for 14 days if you give them your details) – getting used to it but you still need a pen and paper if you need to write anagrams like I do. Now.. Off to do some WORK!

Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

You’ve changed your alias so your comment needed moderation. Both aliases should work from now on.

12. Bluebird
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed it . I liked the chaps with crooks and the loan shark.

I too struggled with 7 d. Tried to involve ‘won’ or just ‘w’ for succeeded in an effort to do ‘grown ups’, but whither the ‘G’? Then, in an effort to use the G, the nearest I got to the cricket clue was ‘bugger’. Oh bugger!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Otherwise, a clear 2*.
    Rainy day sandwiched between two sunny’s…. Compost bestrewn……see what I did there?

• Bluebird
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Actually I haven’t done it yet, so I will be looking for both the future or even conditional participles of STREW.

13. beaver
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable start to the week, agree with Skempie on 7d,a **/*** for me, liked 19d-have to admit I was originally looking for a synonym for a toddler!,and last in was 26a which only gave one possible word, which took a few readings of the clue before this penny dropped

14. angel
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

***/****. Most of my observations have already been made and I particularly feel half a dozen anagrams is perhaps excessive. Needed electronic help with 3d. Favourites 10a, 22a, 15d and 17d. Thanks Rufus for entertaining start to week.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

My anagram counter stands at 8, but I don’t tend to complain too much until I need to take my socks off to count them.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Not trying to be remotely difficult here but I make it seven.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

There are 8 little As on my printout – 1a, 27a, 1d, 3d, 5d, 7d, 8d and 23d.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Please could we add counting to the ever increasing list of things that a Kath can’t do? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif I’d missed out 23d – apologies – should have known better than to doubt you. Again http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

15. ChrisH
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Fairly straightforward, apart from 7d. I too agree with Skempie. I think the blog’s explanation is a bit tenuous, but I’ve got my tin hat on!

*/*** for me.

16. Stuart
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I am one of those anonymous users of this site invited by Gazza to introduce ourselves. I have been a regular and grateful visitor for some time.
    Today’s was fun – annoyingly it took time to get the “wolves” clue.There is always one.
    Belated thanks to all here for this wonderful resource!

Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Welcome Stuart. Now that you’ve introduced yourself I hope that we’ll hear from you on a regular basis.

• Maggie
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Welcome Stuart – I agree, a wonderful resource. I couldn’t do without it.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

It’s brilliant, isn’t it – I love it. Hours of harmless fun and you learn lots as well.

17. Roger
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Started off as a write-in but then brought up short! Same issues with 7d and also 19d for which I had piglet! Many thanks to Rufus and Gazza. I’m going away to Italy for a couple days and I can feel the withdrawal symptoms already starting to kick in!

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Love piglet! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Franny
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I had piglet too for a while. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Wallace
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hey everyone, this is my first post after lurking here for a while!
      Glad I wasn’t the only one who went for piglet for 19d, though annoyingly it meant I needed blog assistance for 22a and 26a.

Big thanks to BD and all the bloggers for all your efforts – thanks to you I’ve gone from being able to manage about half a typical crossword unaided, to the point where I’m disappointed if I don’t make it all the way.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Wallace. You’re just the sort of person we’re here to help.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

New arrival number four – is this a record for one day? Welcome from me too.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I obviously missed my vocation – I should have been a Recruiting Sergeant http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Just waiting for Gromit to surface.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

The cheese is all ready. :D

• skempie
              Posted November 11, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Actually, I had to e-mail Gromit today so he’s probably a bit busy (had a real wrong answer from him and had to re-e-mail a rather snotty follow up).

Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Definitely – or a teacher as your hints are so clear and you’re endlessly patient. Thank you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

18. Senf
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for another straightforward start to the week, finished before lights out last night – so I give this */***. I concluded what 3d had to be, and thanks to Google for confirming it, otherwise not too much reference help needed. 21a, or slight variations of it, must be an oldie but goodie. I also agree with the comments on 7d. The last time 28a was used, I recall a discussion on the fact that the answer was an American rather than an English term – the English version ending in ‘ion’ – at least it did when I was serving HM in the RAF. Favorite would have to be 18a.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

One of those puzzles that seemed to take long solving than it actually did. Thanks to Rufus and Gazza – my favourite is 5a

20. SheilaP
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Lots of all in one clues today & 12a was the last one in for us Thank you setter & hinter. The weather here in N Yorkshire is pretty miserable, but seems to have stopped raining, so it’s off to the woods with the dogs for us.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

21. Steve_the_beard
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Another delight! Rather more “straight cryptic” clues than usual, and all the better for it. (What is the term when a clue is neither an anagram nor a charade?)

My favourite was 6D, which for some reason just made me smile.

Thanks to Rufus and Gazza. :-)

22. toadson
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I logged on today to see if there was any discussion re 7d!

23. Miffypops
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Today I had the great honour of paying The Knightlow One Hundred Tax for Long Itchington at Knightlow Hill. Had the tax not been paid The Duke Of Buccleuch could have fined the freemen of Long Itchington one pound for every penny not paid or he could have demanded a white bull with a red nose and red ears. Where would we have found one of those hereabouts I ask you. I had to leave my bed at 5.30am as the tax has to be paid before sunrise. (Or would have been if The Mayor of Rugby had turned on time) Balancing the Bonfire monies from last Tuesdays event came next and it looks like The Bonfire Committee will be able to give some monies to local groups. Then a wrestle with Rufus which provided a neat diversion. Saint Sharon is visiting her mum. I wish she would come home soon as I want a sandwich. Ta to all as usual. see you tomorrow.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Cheese would probably be nicer in your sandwich than a Sharon!

• Michael
      Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Sandwiches are quite easy – two slices of bread, spread with butter (or an alternative) some sort of filling and there you have it – enjoy!

Next week – scones!

Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

What sunrise? We didn’t have one today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

24. Derek
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Another pleasant start to the week from Rufus!

Faves : 22a and 19d.

Weather in NL overcast but dry and now much cooler.

Must now go to the local supermarket and buy basics.

25. williamus
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Overall a nice gentle start to the week. I too was a bit bemused by the construction of 7d, but as soon as I realised there weren’t any three-letter words with p & d as the last two, I was home and dry! Todays challenges were entirely self-inflicted… I hardly dare admit that for several minutes I was looking for a type of building for 1a. Oh dear. It’s the humour and wordplay that I enjoy so much with Rufus puzzles, fortunately much in evidence here. 12a was my favourite… there ought to be some apposite comments about howlers and silver bullets… no, perhaps not.

Many thanks to Rufus and Gazza.

26. douglas
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

got stuck on 19d, but when the penny dropped, I wondered why I didn’t see it right away…duh.

27. Archie
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I am another new addition, have been using for some time and find it very helpful.
    Thanks to all concerned.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Archie – welcome to the blog. Now that you’ve delurked I hope you’ll be a regular contributor.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Great – new addition number 3 of the day. Welcome from me too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

28. Sarah F
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Afternoon all from bright Edinburgh. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif
    Enjoyed this run-through with a loud groan when I realised 7a! Also liked 19d, 22a, 14a and 9a.
    Thanks to Rufus and Gaza.

29. Vigo
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this puzzle which seemed to take longer than it did. Was interested to note the similarities between Rufus’s 2d here and, across in the Guardian,
    10 Elizabeth, a superior lady deserted by a sailor (4). I can’t imagine the Telegraph and Guardian crossword editors conferring……thanks to Rufus and Gazza.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable and entertaining crossword. Had no problems until I reached 19d and 28a, had two penny-drop moments. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_idea.gif28a was last in, favourites were 9a & 13d. Was 2*/4* for me. Dark, dismal & raining in Central London nearly dark already. Agree with gazza re 7d. I din’t read the clue properly, but did an anagram in my head and added the “s” without realising it http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_mrgreen.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

As usual, really enjoyed this Rufus. I needed the explanation for 14a, otherwise it all fell together nicely, needing some thought. There were so many good clues it’s hard to choose just one, but I think the honour must go to 19d; was that clever or what? Thanks to Rufus and Gazza, all over too quickly. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

32. Annidrum
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Yes I agree with all that it was a lovely puzzle and thanks to the brilliant Rufus but I agree with the comments on 7d and agree with Kath about the cricket clues !http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

What about football, rugby, golf, horse racing, motor racing and lots of others too?

Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

The Toughie tomorrow is a Dada http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

34. Little Dave
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Paper shop managed to open early today and I had this all done very quickly save 28a and 19d. Not really tuned in having been robbed of 2 points at Chelski on Saturday. Still smarting.

35. SheilaP
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Aren’t there a lot of people blogging now on this site? It’s great fun reading them all especially when people add their own bits & pieces to the comments of others.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

36. Collywobbles
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

It’s already been said but another fine puzzle from the master and many thanks for the hints Libellule, I did need a couple, like 7d – ‘s’ for succeeded

• Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Gazza wrote this one!

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Yes I know but I still think that justification for the ‘s’ is a bit thin but the rest of the puzzle is superb and enjoyable

Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Good fun that did not take long at all. At first glance we also tried to put piglet in 19d but the checkers soon pooh-poohed that idea. (pun intended). There was another connection with the Guardian puzzle too, as the ubiquitous ESPY cropped up in both. Good to see all these new lurkers coming out of the closet. Welcome from the antipodes.
    Thanks Rufus and Gazza.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Pooh-poohed – piglet! Brilliant! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

38. Catnap
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

A lovely Rufus puzzle! I, too, had to think hard about 7d before I got it. Many enjoyable clues. 19d was my fave, with others — like 5a, 10a, 18a, 2d, 13d, and 17d — close on its heels. Also enjoyed your hints and review, Gazza, which I did not need.
    Many thanks to both Rufus and Gazza.

39. Roydo
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Anyone else pencil in Full Stops for 25a? Or just me??

Posted November 11, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Almost, not quite! But it makes good sense … well, I think so anyway

• Roydo
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Haha! “Almost” is good enough for me.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

No – didn’t think of it or I probably would have done. If there’s a trap to be fallen into, specially on Mondays, I usually fall into it.

40. outnumbered
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Even more of a cryptic definition-fest than usual, and I thought they were all pretty good this week. Definitely more enjoyable than a typical Monday. **/****

Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

What a lot of comments today – as always, I love it! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif This is my newest favourite ‘little face’. It’s taken over from http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif but I still like him too.

42. Posted November 11, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I will come out of the lurkers’ area too and make it 5 in a day! Love this site. Great crossword today; I only needed help for two clues. I have been doing the DT crossword for nearly 9 years and continue to dream of finishing one without help! Almost there…

Posted November 11, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Welcome Esther.

• Wahoo
        Posted November 12, 2013 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Why not make it a half dozen newcomers.

I’ve enjoyed reading this blog for the last few months or so but my time zone makes it difficult to comment during your (UK/Euro) day.

Dangerous to start with a controversial comment, but after years of doing the DT, I still find Rufus on Mondays to be something of an anti climax compared with the rest of the week.

The time difference here does mean that I can look at the day’s crossword whilst most of you are asleep. Tuesday’s is fun 1*/3*** for me.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted November 12, 2013 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Wahoo. Where are you based?

• Wahoo
            Posted November 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

The West Indies

43. mary
    Posted November 12, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Welcome to all who came out of the closet http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• mary
      Posted November 12, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifWell done gazza on your recruitment drive

• mary
        Posted November 12, 2013 at 9:17 am | Permalink

have to go out now will be late in today that is Tuesday!

44. Billericay Dicky
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I was pleased to puzzle-out something new in 3d, and managed to get all but two answers, in one day. Which is good going, for me!