DT 27307 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27307 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter our Monthly Prize Puzzle.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a Penny’s relationship with Bob near to end of engagement produces drama (7,5)
The fraction that a penny was of a bob or shilling, in pre-decimal currency, followed by a word meaning near and the final letter (end) of engagement

11a Bremner holding decline back in crime (7)
Not Billy Bremner but the first name of a comedian with the same surname around the reversal (back) of a decline

16a I am priggish type, not unwise (9)
The abbreviation of I AM followed by a priggish type and the abbreviation of not that is often used colloquially to negate a verb

19a Some colossal volley (5)
This all-in-one clue, where the answer is hidden (some) in the clue, is very similar to one of the examples in my Crossword Guide

23a Artist visiting Cockney area displaying full range of colours (7)
Split s (2,2,3) this could mean an artist visiting a visiting Cockney area

24a Oriental princess has last month in hospital with touch of anaemia (7)
The business abbreviation for last month inside a three-letter abbreviated form of a hospital and followed by the initial letter (touch) of Anaemia

26a What parachutist should have done with a change of side for rich countryfolk (6,6)
Start with what a parachutist should have done when he reached the ground and swap the second occurrence of a side for its opposite

1d Lay down cards taking in bridge opponents capable of defence (7)
A verb meaning to lay down one’s cards around a couple of opponents in the game of bridge – if it helps N(orth) and S(outh) are partners as are E(ast) and W(est)

3d Middle-aged and single (5-4)
Two definitions – the second one being another name for a vinyl single

4d They’re full of stingers giving nettle-rash (5)
Two definitions – places where stinging insects can be found and a popular term for nettle rash [note to the editor: nettle rash is unhyphenated in Chambers and one word in the ODE]

5d Teacher’s developed here, to teach (7)
Split as (2,5) this is where Teacher’s Scotch whisky is developed

7d One churning out some prints is artist (13)
Did you spot that the wordplay for this clever clue is I (one) followed by an anagram (churning out) of SOME PRINTS IS or did you just think it was a cryptic definition?

8d One’s subtitle alternatively expression of surprise on seeing its author (2,4,3,4)
The subtitle of one across is derived from a word meaning alternatively followed by what could be an expression of surprise on seeing the author of this drama

15d Function featuring a performance that’s gloomy (9)
A mathematical function around the A from the clue and a performance

18d Mounted second-rate attack giving abuse (7)
A two-letter word meaning mounted on a horse followed by the letter that represents second-rate and an attack

22d Antelope dash over Germany (5)
A word meaning dash or style followed by the IVR code for Germany

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: (thing} + {umma} + {jig} = {thingamyjig}

1. Senf
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Finished before lights out last (just). Last one is what 8d, after some head scratching. Immediate thought for 11a was Billy, and I did spot the anagram in 7d. Is 14a an oldie but goodie? No real stand out favourites, but, like a Monday Rufus, pleasantly enjoyable.

• Caravaggio
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Funnily enough, I was trying to work ‘Billy’ into 11a too, Senf. I thought that this was a thoroughly enjoyable Saturday puzzle with some outstanding clues and I particularly liked 26a and 7d, having spent something like four hours in Liverpool’s Walker Art Gallery on Thursday…

2. Baa
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Just my sort of puzzle today – didn’t do it straight away, had to sit and think for a bit, but finally got it all except 3D – and now I’ve read the hint, I had a ‘doh’ moment. Probably the rest of you think it’s easy, but I am a bear of very little brain. ☺

• steve_the_beard
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Not as easy as a usual Saturday, no!

3. stanXYZ
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Nice Puzzle! Nice Jokes! :smile:

4. neveracrossword
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I had alternative answers for 3d and needed the hint to explain which one was correct.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Started off feeling a bit dissatisfied and ended up grinning. Some lovely, clever clues. Absolutely loved 8D when I finally got it. Thanks to the setter and BD. I didn’t need the hints but I did need the explanation for the opponents part of 1D.

• Expat Chris
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

That shoud be “I DID need the explanation…” I also need to proofread before posting.

• Una
        Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Same for me, got it but needed BD’s explanation of why. Very clever !

6. Mark
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Would never have got 8d without the hint. Thanks. Shame though, because the rest was straight from the brain.

Why was rich country folk the clue rather than than what a parachutist should have done in 26a? Seems to me from the wording that you could have taken either expression as a start, and changed a letter to get the other one. I suppose one of the two is a more well known turn of phrase, but i can’t why one is favoured over the other.

• Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

It;s a good point, but A with the application of condition B gives (for) C works slightly better than the Yodaish alternative.

• stanXYZ
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

… rich countryfolk is the solution, methinks!

7. Michael
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand the word play for the second word in 26a – I’m afraid the explanation doesn’t help me much – but then again I am feeling particularly thick today!

Thanks anyway!

• Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

There is no wordplay specifically for the second word. Take a phrase that describes what a parachutist should have done when he reached the ground (7,6) and change a letter {that just happens to be in the second word) that represents a side to the one that represents the opposite side (change of side).

Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Now I’ve got it. That has taken me forever, thick or what?

• Michael
        Posted October 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Ah – an ‘*’ for an ‘*’ – I get it now – I’m a bit underwhelmed and still thick!

8. Robert Page
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Absolutely flummmoxed with 8d, any help please!

• Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

My hint contains all that you should need. First you need to solve 1 across and then, if you don’t already know it, look up its subtitle.

• Brian
        Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Ah completely missed that it referred to 1a! Got the answer from the wordplay but the subtitle bit got me fooled. I always it was the convention in these things that f you were referring to another clue the setter used the numerical form.

• Una
          Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

When I see a clue referring to another clue in numerically I nearly always find another crossword to do. I am allergic to that type of clueing.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

In that case don’t even look at the NTSPP – I know what you mean though.

• Una
              Posted October 12, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Actually, I can’t access the NTSPP, I’ve tried but am too computor illiterate or something.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I wonder why. I’m almost completely computer illiterate so if I can anyone can. If you go to the right hand side column where you click on the number of the crossword it’s there.

• Una
                Posted October 13, 2013 at 12:12 am | Permalink

yes, you’re right, but in the past I seem to remember something about down loading PDF files(what ever they are) but perhaps I’m confusing it with some thing else.
                P.S mother problems ? It’s the sister that’s the problem in my case, I can’t sleep with all her conniving.

• mary
                  Posted October 13, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Families! Thank goodness for friends

Posted October 13, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

All families are the same – you may appreciate the line on a card one of my sisters sent me recently

“Families are like fudge – mostly sweet with a few nuts’ :D

• Una
                      Posted October 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary and Crypticsue ! You’re commments have seriously cheered me up !

Posted October 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I could very easily be wrong here, and am sure that someone will tell me if I am, but I think the PDF bit is if you want to print it out.
                  Sorry about the sister problems – mine isn’t always easy either – I agree with Mary and CS.

9. Robert Page
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Cheers BD :-)

10. sheepdog
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I know the answer to 12a – but I can’t work out why – it doesn’t seem cryptic

• sheepdog
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

OK forget that, I just worked it out

Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

A similar experience to Expat Chris above; I disliked it early on, but enjoyed it when i’d finished.
    I quite liked 3d, although after my recent birthday, it implies i have now reached middle-age!….however, according to Chambers, middle-aged is defined as ‘between youth and old age, variously reckoned to suit the reckoner’ :)
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

You’re nobbut a slip of a lad :-)

12. Brenda Reding
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword today, very clever and much appreciated. Thank you to setter and BD for so much enjoyment

13. gazza
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I thought that this was the best Saturday puzzle for some considerable time. If you’re looking for further enjoyment look no further than the NTSPP which is very entertaining with a nice theme (and it’s not too difficult).

14. Graham
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Just finished having been diverted away by the handbrake to go to the local pumpkin festival at least we bought some venison & wild boar sausages.I absolutely loved this puzzle & enjoyed some excellent clues 1A 8D 14A the list goes on.
    Thanks for the hints and review.

15. mary
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Afternoon all, I actually finished this this morning but have been out looking at Park Homes!
    I thought 1a and 8d particularly hard especially 8d if you didn’t know the answer and of course you needed to work out 1a first!
    I had a few favourites today however (sorry Kath) I particularly liked 3d, 5d, 14a and 26a
    Didn’t know the word at 15d
    Watch out today folks, the crossword police are about and I think there is only porridge in the naughty corner :-D

• mary
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Forgot to say…19a dare I say it… where is the definition???

• Posted October 12, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

You’re winding me up – you say that every time there is an all-in-one clue. The definition is underlined in the hint. If that doesn’t answer your question, follow the link to my Crossword Guide.

• mary
          Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

;-)

• mary
          Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I have read it…honest

Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Forgiven, just this once! :smile:

Posted October 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I loved this – some brilliant clues and lots that made me laugh which wasn’t easy to do as I’ve just spent all morning sorting out my Mum. :sad:
    15a had to be what it was but it took me a while to work out why. The second word of 3d caused trouble briefly as I hadn’t spotted the ‘single’ properly. It was good to see a new clue for 17d – not going any further than that for fear of being struck off, deleted, redacted or – horror of horrors – sent to the naughty corner but I’m sure that lots of you will see what I’m getting at. 11a wasn’t a problem for me as I’ve never heard of the other Bremner – assume he’s probably a cricketer or something like that – will look up in a minute.
    So many good clues that it’s difficult to pick any in particular but definitely all four long answers round the outside plus 13a and 6d. My favourite was 12a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BF.
    Going to stack logs now then NTSPP.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

That should be ‘with thanks to Mr Ron and BD’ not BF! I’d never dare be so rude! :oops:

• mary
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

The other Mr Bremner was a footballer if I’m not mistaken Kath, I think he played for Leeds, I stand to be corrected?

Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

OK – so I was pretty close then . . . :roll:

• Tantalus
        Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

With Jack Charlton and Nobby Stiles!

• pommers
          Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Nobby was at Man U with Jack’s brother.

• Michael
          Posted October 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

…with Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles, Peter Lorimer, Gary Sprake, Terry Cooper, Allan Clarke and the rest of the brillant Leeds team of the 60’s and early 70’s managed by Don Revie – commonly known as ‘Dirty’ Leeds!

• XCoder
            Posted October 12, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Paul Madeley, Mick Jones and Eddie Gray would complete the cup and league winning side of the seventies, that’s from memory not Wiki or similar. Billy also played for Scotland of course. Tough crossword for me today, needed the hints to complete it as I know nothing of the Bard.

• Tantalus
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mysteron and BFF – a most enjoyable tea & toast.

17. mary
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Seriously now Dave in 12a shouldn’t the anagram indicator be next to the two words needed if you see what I mean?

• Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

It’s two word plus the initial letter (opening) of Popeye so it is correct.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle, took a while to get started then the pennies began to drop.
    Finished before the hints came up for a change but needed BD to explain the subtitle in 8d. Had to Google that! Love the play but never took note of the subtitle before.
    Many Thx to all concerned.

19. steve_the_beard
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

What an utter delight!

I came back from riding my bike in the rain (another delight), made lunch for SWMBO and me, and then sat down with the crossword. My first response was “Bloody hell! Is this really a Saturday Cryptic?”.

It took me 50% longer than normal on a Saturday, but that’s no bad thing, as sometimes the challenge is a little lacking…

I liked so many clues, but 23A made me laugh and 8D has to be my favourite (just the one, Kath!). I didn’t understand what “One” meant until I saw what the answer must be and then said to myself “Hang on, isn’t that another name for…”.

A thousand thanks to the setter, and quite a few to BD too :-)

Posted October 12, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I’m still checking . . . :smile:

20. pommers
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Been a good day today. First there’s this splendid puzzle, an excellent one from Mudd in the FT, a tricky rascal in the Grauniad and a very accessible one in the Indy.. What with those and Qualifying for both the F! and MotoGP it’s been a bit busy. Really must get a life :grin:

Thanks to all concerned.

21. Chris T Heswall
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Back from holiday where the only English language paper available was The Times – so happy to have the DT crossword to complete instead. 14a last in for me with a real doh moment when the penny dropped. The link between 1a and 8d was a treat – thanks to the setter.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I agree with most, delightful puzzle today, though needed hint for the “why” of a couple, el 3d and 26a. Thanks to all.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, not easy and I needed your hint for 3d BD, thank you. As soon as I saw 19a I thought “Mary” !! New bird today at Cley – Long Eared Owl. That’s the good news. Bad news is tradition suggests a bottle of champagne ! – perhaps not that bad ?

24. Outnumbered
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Was stuck on 8d so thanks BD for the hint. 26a was my favourite clue…

Posted October 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. I enjoyed this, but found It a bit frustrating that I was beaten by 1a & 8d, I did this play at school. I obviously wasn’t paying attention :-) I also failed on 3d, despite owning a collection of these in the sixties. A really fun puzzle. Was 2*/4* for me.

26. Catnap
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

A delightful puzzle! **** for enjoyment. Plenty of good clues, especially 1a and 8d, and 7d. :grin: Haven’t needed the hints you’ve given here today, Big Dave, apart from still being puzzled by the second word of 12a. I am being dimwitted, I fear!
    Many thanks to Setter and to Big Dave.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Second word of 12a?

• Catnap
        Posted October 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry Kath! I’m referring to the second part of the clue — i.e. the last three letters. In reply to Mary re 12a (see comment 17), Big Dave wrote: ‘It’s two word plus the initial letter (opening) of Popeye …’. I have the first ‘word’ with the opening letter of Popeye & I know the answer to the clue… As said, I think I’m being extraordinarily dim! :sad:

Posted October 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

The solution is an anagram of two words in the clue plus the first letter of Popeye.

• Posted October 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t meant to be a secret – it’s just that the question was about Popeye’s contribution to the fodder.

12a In trouble, Popeye’s opening his can — of this? (7)
          An anagram (in trouble) of the initial letter (opening) of Popeye with HIS CAN

• Catnap
          Posted October 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Crypticsue and Big Dave: Thank you both very much indeed for putting me out of my misery! Now it does all make sense! :grin: Alas! I was still dimwitted enough not to understand Mary’s query and your original comment, Big Dave. :oops:

27. Little Dave
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Interesting puzzle with a couple that did not quite work for me. Overall this was trickier than a usual Saturday challenge and 8d was a tad clunky. Maybe I am missing something! All done after some toiling. Thanks to BD etc.

Posted October 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Like Catnap, found this absolutely deee-lightful ! Just my cup of tea.Clever clues and not too difficult, and as someone else said , like a Rufus. If it wasn’t him, then it was “in the school of ” Dante.Now that I’ve looked up BD’s explanation of 3d, it’s my favourite.( but I solved it thinking , possibly wrongly, that the answer can be a game of cards one plays by oneself ?)Thanks to the setter , whoever it is and BD.

29. JohnM
    Posted October 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this puzzle and, encouragingly, managed to finish most of the clues without resorting to online help. Loved 26a amongst others! However, when looking for verification that I had answered 24a correctly I was confused by the hint: Business abbreviation for last month (which presumably is S or SEP) inside a three letter abbreviated form of a hospital (not sure what this is – is it referring to a specific hospital rather than being a generic abbrev?). I can’t derive these from my answer. The only thing that tallies is the initial letter of Amnesia being the final letter. Otherwise I’m stumped. Can anyone demystify this for me? My answer had a lot in common with a dried fruit or a female variant of an eastern prince so I think it’s right but have no clue about the hints! Thanks, John.

• JohnM
      Posted October 13, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Sorted it – I think. Found out a three letter latin-derived abbrev for ‘last month’, not specifically September but any month, which left 3 other letters that I guess are an abbreviation for a particular type of hospital, or in IT terms, ****** **** ******* – I can finally stop my feverish head scratching and spend the rest of my Sunday relaxing!!

• Posted October 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog John

It doesn’t matter this time, but please don’t put wrong answers (or alternative clues like in your other comment) in you comments.

• JohnM
        Posted October 14, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Sorry Dave – my enthusiasm & eagerness to finish and fully understand all the clues ran away with me! I’ll be more careful next time. Thanks, John.

30. Collywobbles
    Posted October 14, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

We have had visitors at the weekend so I am a bit late in completing this crossword. I have done it all except for 1d which I do not understand despite BDs’ hint and the reference to it in the comments. If anybody is still switched into this can you help me to complete it which I like to do before moving on to Mondays’ puzzle. I may have SOME WRONG LETTERS

• JohnM
      Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

It’s a word that means [***** too much information *****] (shorthand for players in Bridge). Hope that helps! Cheers, John.

31. fausto
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Call me dumb but I can’t work out 13a or 24a however much I try. I think I have the answers but can’t reconcile them with the cryptic part of the clue. Still waiting for that DOH! moment….

• Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog fausto

13a Fish gave off a whiff (5)
      A double definition – a fish that is related to the salmon and a verb meaning “gave off a whiff”. If you have an answer, look it up and it may turn out to be a fish!

I can add nothing to the hint already given for 24a. Concentrate on the definition and then work out the wordplay.

32. fausto
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Doh! for the fish. I did not have the right answer.

Re the princess, am I wrong to be thinking about ***** *****?

• Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Not wrong for thinking about it – just wrong for putting an alternative clue in your comment. Clicking “REPLY” keeps the thread together, particularly on a busy day.

• fausto
        Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I thought I had replied. The open form at the bottom of the blog says “leave a reply” but obviously does not work like that. You have to click on “reply” after “PERMALINK” in the banner of the answer. It’s a bit confusing but I get it now.

Also, I realised about the alternative clue and thought I had edited it out within the edit time limit, but again obviously that did not work either. Apologies.