DT 27247 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27247 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s a new Monthly Prize Puzzle available today – why not have a go?

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Pop out with Hogarth print (10)
An anagram (out) of POP with HOGARTH

9a           Line’s fake, showing lack of talent (10)
L(ine) followed by a fake

12a         Like peanuts? Full, having consumed pounds (6)
An adjective meaning full around the single-letter abbreviation for pounds (sterling)

18a         Betting about marines willing to be hawkish (12)
An eight-letter verb meaning betting around the abbreviation for the Royal Marines and a two-letter word meaning willing to participate in an activity, such as a bet

21a         Chewing grass is unusual in insect (8)
A three-letter word meaning unusual followed by IN and an insect

22a         Set of false teeth round a mouth’s top (6)
A set of false teeth round the A from the clue

25a         Anthology: I flog about 100 in a lot (10)
I and SELL around the Roman numeral for 100 all inside a lot

27a         I see my Reds playing here (10)
An anagram (playing) of I SEE MY REDS

1d           European   could be French (6)
Two definitions – the second one being a product of which French is one example

2d           Alloy containing gold spy finally replaced by uranium (6)
The heraldic term for gold followed by an undercover spy with his final letter replaced by U(ranium)

4d           Appreciate value of   carpet (4)
Two definitions – the second one being a verb meaning to carpet or scold

5d           Short video covering new Conservative bill (10)
A short video followed by N(ew) and a Conservative gives a bill like Portland Bill

11d         Dish in kitchen where pins are scattered (7,5)
Split as (4,2,6), this could be a type of dish used for food followed by IN and a ship’s kitchen

16d         Draw obtuse angle, rather small (8)
An anagram (obtuse) of DRAW followed by a verb meaning to angle

20d         Produce new script about model (6)
A two-letter word meaning about followed by a model  or example

23d         Exploits when holding court (4)
A two-letter word meaning when around the abbreviation of C(our)T

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

As this is a Prize crossword, please don’t put WHOLE or PARTIAL ANSWERS or ALTERNATIVE CLUES in your comment, else they may be censored!

The Quick crossword pun: (meatier} + {right} = {meteorite}

Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Really amusing puzzle – thank you setter, great fun. Fell off my perch laughing at 11d when the penny dropped. Thanks BD for your hints. Day about to be spoilt with the start of the new football season. Better watch England struggling at Old Trafford than our team, who are on the telly !

Posted August 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

That was my last one in, had a wrong letter and it took ages, but it had to be the best of an excellent bunch

2. njm
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:52 am | Permalink

A pleasant end to the week’s puzzles. **/*** for me.

3. Mark
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I knew this was going to be a difficult one when I went through the first pass and didn’t get any. 25a is a terrific word in itself ( must try and slip it into casual conversation next week!) and the clue was sublime.

Sadly, copious use of aids was (were?) required for this one, which meant it was at the lower end of the satisfaction spectrum. Very enjoyable and clever one today, I thought.

Completion using the brain only with no aids, with an understanding of every clue is something I have yet to achieve after decades of doing the DTC. I got near it once when I did all of this, but I’d used an anagram solver early in the puzzle, which didn’t give me an answer (which was not an anagram). I got it later on , but deep down I knew this was a tarnished ultimate DTC victory……I live in hope

• SheilaP
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Me too, Mark, for the same reasons.

4. Paul Smith
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Found this one a bit tough, with a couple of words new to me. Had to use all the tools at my disposal. Thanks for the tips, but you did’t include the clues I had remaining:)

Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Is it me or does anyone else find this a real stinker?

• Mark
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Stinker!

• Jo
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Thought it wa stinker too! Still got 5 in NE corner to get :(

Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Relatively speaking, Saturday-wise, yes. Took me over twice as long as usual.

• Shawn
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Horrid… And on top of it made too many mistakes so it took me ages to finish. Thanks I needed eventual help from BD for 20d and then could get my last clue 25a.

• SheilaP
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Got answers for everything, but not sure why some of them are right, if they are, so pretty difficult I think.

• Roger
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Stinker. I got two on the first pass. Then a couple more and then had to resort to the BRB which frankly I hate doing especially if there are 90% of the clues undone. So I stopped. -10 for enjoyment.

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Stinker for me.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Difficult to start but once they started to fall into place, I thought it a super puzzle

6. mary
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Morning Dave, I found this tough going too, also using my books and electronic friends, liked 15a, 1d and favourite 27a :-D , come on The Reds, never heard of 2d, perservation really needed today!
    Thanks for hints Dave though I didn’t use them, cloudy, sunny, here

• Caravaggio
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I thought that you’d like 27a, Mary! I switched to BT Broadband last November and I could watch Stevie G’s testimonial live if I wanted to but the cricket has the greater pull at the moment. I haven’t struggled with this puzzle but I was grateful to you for one of the hints, Dave, so many thanks.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

:-)

• Caravaggio
          Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t resist the temptation to have a look at the football while I was online and Liverpool have just gone 1-0 up through Joe Allen.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks :-D

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Not got BT Sports1 :-(

• Roydo
            Posted August 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I am from the other half of 27a Cara! Enjoy Suarezs last game for you!

7. newtothis
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I agree…it’s really tough today! Completely stuck in SW corner if anyone can help.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I’ll try if you can be a bit more specific about the clues you need help with. :smile:

Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Phew! Much more of a challenge than most Saturdays, I think. I had to put it aside and go back to it. I did finish without hints but the setter made me work hard for it. In the end, there were more than half a dozen ticks against those that made me smile, so high on my personal enjoyment scale. Many thanks to the setter, whoever he or she may be, and to Big Dave for the review.

Off to try my hand at the NTSPP…

Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I know that it’s a prize puzzle and so should be difficult but I don’t often have as much trouble as I’ve had today on Saturdays.
    I thought it was very good but a ‘stinker’ from the difficulty angle.
    I got the first three across answers quickly and thought it was going to be a doddle – changed my mind really quickly!
    I spent too long trying to fit the two letter abbreviation for the wrong kind of pounds into 12a. Spent the same amount of time trying to fit an ‘M’ into 22a. I thought 27a was a ‘footbally’ clue so pretty much gave up even though I could see it was an anagram – eventually got it – maybe it is ‘footbally’! Started off with the wrong answer for 24a which left me with the last letter unaccounted for – stupid!
    I liked 21a and 3, 11 and 14d – and lots of others too.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

10. gnomethang
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Took a decent amount of time to finish with some good penny drop moments – 11d being a good example. Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

11. newtothis
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

struggling with 14d,16d,17d and 21a,24a,26a any hints gratefully received!

• Prolixic
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

14d A type of ship is an anagram (wave) of GIANT inside another word for sea water.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Hi ntt 17d you are looking for the name of a flower a three letter word for border inside a five letter word for plain writing gives you the name of a spring flower

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

24a you looking for a word for someone who is admired or worshipped, a three letter word for fool (as in to fool) follows the I from the clue

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

26a, you are looking for a word for ‘notice’ put the two letter abbreviation for todays ‘quality’ of picture TV around the abbreviation for East and Europe

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

21a you need a word for’ chewing grass’ a three letter word for unusual, is followed by the next two letters in the clue followed by an insect (three letters)

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Hope these help :-)

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Managed through the hint for 1a getting me started to do all except the NE corner for which there are no hints at all! Is this deliberate? :-)
    Any help with 6a would be appreciated.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

It’s a double definition Brian

• Rod Ash
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

6a is a word that has double meaning both as an alternative to bar and an alternative to fight

• Brian
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Thx chaps, never heard of the meaning for this word to be a bar but Chambers gives it so it must be right. All done now and hated almost every clue!

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

It was a bit like pulling teeth today Brian! but there were a couple of clues I liked

13. Caroline
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Please can anyone point me in the right direction for 7d? Yesterday’s was so hard for me I resorted to looking at the answers and filling in the grid! But today it’s going well except for NE corner. I won’t give this any stars as I find all the crosswords a challenge and I usually like to do them over many sittings starting it at breakfast and finishing it by dinnertime.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Not a word I knew Caroline, you are looking for a word for a column, take the first letter of Ionian ( top of) and put it inside a word for to cover the surface of as in rendering a wall maybe, (round top of Ionian)

• Rod Ash
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

cover as in type of basic decorating with first letter of Ionian inserted to give a column

• Caroline
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks both! Got it now. I knew the word but struggle to work out which part of the clue is the answer! Thought perhaps I was looking for a cover!

14. Rod Ash
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this puzzle. I needed the dictionary for 2d and 20d took a long time to click.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very nice puzzle, was quite tricky, started with 1a, finished with 26a. Was held up by 16d for ages, then the penny dropped. Favourites were 27a and 2&11d. Was 3*/4* for me. England fighting back at Old Trafford.

16. Collywobbles
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Finished. What a stinker. However, I do like a struggle. That’s where the enjoyment comes from for me provided there is help on hand if one is absolutely stuck. Many thanks to BD and Mr. Ron.

17. jezza
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

A couple of old chestnuts, and a couple to think about, but managed to scrape through in just under my 3* time.
    Thanks to setter and to BD too.

18. Poppy
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Well I’m glad it wasn’t just me struggling with this! But I did enjoy the tussle, and 11d made me laugh. 27a brought back happy memories of Mr P’s very first gift to me forty years ago of a coloured photo of the captain at the time – to my utter bewilderment as I knew nothing about this area of life at all. But he made it all up to me six months later by giving me an Irish Wolfhound as his wedding present, which was much more up my line… :-) Many thanks to setter, as well as to BD for some needed hints. Like Kath I’d tried hard to fit an M into 22a which got me nowhere fast.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy nice to see you back, hope you’re fit and well on the road to recovery x

• Poppy
        Posted August 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary – much appreciated! Am trying hard to love my physio who keeps muttering “no pain, no gain” working on me!! Poppy has decided not to let me out of her sight at present and her ‘cunning plan’ is apparently to hedge me in with every toy in the neighbourhood… Laughter is definitely good medicine x

19. newtothis
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, sorry for the late reply but I’ve been making curry. Apparently, eating hot food in hot weather is cooling, however, what they don’t tell you is making it, makes you hot! Still got one or two to do but sometimes a ‘re-visit’ makes it all the clearer, so I won’t ask for anymore help…just yet!

Posted August 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

no problem :-)

20. Michael
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable – some very good clues and a fair number of anagrams – good fun!

21. Dawn
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks as always to BD for the hints, most helpful today. Got some of this really quickly and as usual, have revisited a couple of times through the afternoon to complete some more.

Final one to go is 15a and with all the checking letters I am no wiser and feeling close to a glass of red to give me an excuse not to complete :-)

If you wish to take pity and out me out of my misery, must be me as no one else has mentioned it. Or even put me out of my misery!

• Outnumbered
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

BD has some rules about what one is allowed to say in these comments, and I don’t know if this hint is allowed or not, but it is an anagram of two words in the clue,

• Dawn
        Posted August 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Outnumbered

I’d got as far as thinking it was an anagram from the third word but had not deduced which to… a real d’oh moment me thinks :oops:

22. Outnumbered
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I was on ***** time in the end, and felt this was easily a medium Toughie level of difficulty, in that I found I really needed the checking letters to make progress, and even then it was slow going.

I really dislike the ‘s in 9a, surely that can only be read as “line is”, where the “is” is superfluous and thus misleading.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Outnumbered I always used to think the ‘s meant ‘is’ , but it also apparently means ‘has’ so it reads line has fake etc. etc.

23. Philbrum
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Chewed away at this on and off all day as I am just learning how to tackle cryptic crosswords. 1d made me groan out loud.

Phil

• steve_the_beard
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Phil!

I am one long-term cruciverbalist who copied your response to 1D :-)

24. stanXYZ
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Agree with most comments today … a lot harder than usual for a Saturday. But shouldn’t Prize Puzzles always be more difficult?

Posted August 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Yes – but this one nearly finished me off for ever – I found it really difficult. I think that most of us have come to expect a fairly straightforward crossword on Saturdays – don’t know why – perhaps so that lots of people send in their completed puzzles – who knows? I certainly don’t!
      Just really glad that the consensus seems to be that this was a tricky one – before I looked at the hints and the comments I was beginning to worry about the marble count, particularly as I found yesterday’s difficult too!

25. Derek
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

First one in was 2d – don’t ask me why but I have a damned good memory even at my ripe time of nearly 90 years.

After that, I just solved the damned puzzle!

Best wishes to all of you sloggers!.

Derek.

26. deece
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Bit late in the day I know, but just can’t get 6A 10A 13A and 7D 8D i.e. NE corner – someone please put me out of my misery!

Posted August 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

6a is a double definition – one a noun and the other a verb meaning to fight
      10a definition is trick – a verb meaning towork at steadily around the abbreviation for old
      13a defintion is enormous – put a wastage inside a type of fuel
      7d has been explained further up the blog
      8d the definition is supporting Queen – Mr Orbison followed by a term used to describe top celebrities.

27. Little Dave
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Cannot decide if this was tricky or clumsy. Some challenging clues and easily one of the toughest Saturday puzzles in a while.

28. deece
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Got them now but don’t understand second and fourth letters of 10A; and 6A I don’t understand the BAR bit

29. deece
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Thank you Crypticsue – found that corner a bit hard so thanks – esp for the 10A abbrev. – not come across that before!

30. BigBoab
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Fun but extremely gentle, thanks to the setter and BD.

31. una
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

I expect everybody has gone to bed now, but if anyone is still up , I am mystified by 3d, my last one.Help much appreciated.

• una
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Cancel that, I finally got it. Thanks to BD for all his assistance and to Mr Ron.

32. Cornish Pasty (not that there is any other)
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

9a and 2d stumped me for the longest time. Then I remembered that a spy was *****. Then 9a was obvious and wondered why I got hung up!

33. newtothis
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Still got four to get. 4d and 16d, 10a and 26a despite so earlier hints.

• una
      Posted August 4, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

16d, the definition is rather small.26a, think of modern tv sets and the letter hints.10a, a four letter word for trick.Hope I haven’t overstepped the bounds.

• una
      Posted August 4, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

4d, if you have the checking letters there are only a few words that could mean apppreciate.

34. newtothis
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Thanks Una, I’d got an answer for 4d which fits the ‘appreciate’ part of the clue but don’t understand how it also means carpet.26a I had a different palindrome but now see the correct answer! I have the checking letters for 10a and 16d, but still the penny hasn’t dropped.

• Posted August 4, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

If you don’t understand the second definition in 4 down, it is a good idea to look it up in a dictionary like Chambers as there is nothing more that we can add here. If you don’t have a copy of Chambers, then you will continually struggle with Telegraph crosswords – take my word for it!

• stanXYZ
        Posted August 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

A “God” idea?

Pedants’ Corner for me…. any cake today?

• Posted August 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I’ve changed the comment, so no-one will know what you are talking about!

• Posted August 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

By the way, if you click REPLY on a comment it keeps the thread together.

• una
      Posted August 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

16d, note “draw” and “angling” are words in the clue leading to “rather small”.
      The Chambers Crossword dictionary is invaluable.I bought it after a personalized ad on this blog.

• newtothis
        Posted August 4, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Big Dave and Una for your comments. I have Chambers Dictionary and Thesaurus on my computer, are they different from a hard copy? they certainly don’t seem to list the second definition for 4d. Thanks for the ‘reply’ tip.

• Posted August 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

What do you mean by “on my computer”? If you mean you are using an online website then you won’t be surprised that Chambers don’t give their entire dictionary away for free.

• newtothis
            Posted August 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

All finished, thanks for all the help.

35. Nilrem