Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

This is the second Giovanni puzzle I’ve blogged this week and I enjoyed this one more that Wednesday’s Toughie. Let us know your take on it.

In order to reveal an answer you’ll have to highlight what’s concealed between the brackets under the clue. If you’re reading the blog on a mobile device you can find some help on how to do this in the FAQ.

Across Clues

1a  Local official’s frenzied, hiding behind tree (10)
{ALDERMANIC} – the ‘S is part of the definition here so we want a word meaning relating to the local official. An adjective meaning frenzied or frenetic goes after (hiding behind) a tree of the birch family.

9a  Levy a charge on one road vehicle (4)
{TAXI} – a verb meaning to levy a charge on people (as Chancellors of the Exchequer are always dreaming up new ways of doing) followed by I (one in Roman numerals).

10a  Charity event offers enjoyment — a rider’s fantastic (10)
{FUNDRAISER} – a synonym for enjoyment followed an anagram (fantastic) of A RIDER’S. This word is sometimes hyphenated and Chambers appears to be in two minds about it.

11a  Item of uniform placed on peg (6)
{PUTTEE} – a verb meaning placed followed by a peg used on the golf course. I don’t like ‘on’ meaning before in an across clue.

12a  Criticise neckwear and other garments (7)
{PANTIES} – a charade of a verb to criticise harshly and forms of neckwear.

15a  Something made for attaching to tube (7)
{PRODUCT} – a preposition meaning for or in favour of is followed by a tube or channel.

16a  Fix shrub that’s been trimmed at the front (5)
{RIVET} – start with a shrub often used for hedges in suburbia and prune its leading P.

17a  Worries  horses (4)
{NAGS} – double definition.

18a  Part of body that should be supple — no hesitation (4)
{LIMB} – an adjective meaning supple or lithe without the expression of hesitation.

19a  Active person drinking very little port (5)
{DOVER} – a busy or energetic person contains (drinking) the abbreviation (little) of V(ery).

21a  Sinatra seen to be exceptional craftsman (7)
{ARTISAN} – if you haven’t come across this anagram (seen to be exceptional) of SINATRA before then be sure that you will meet it again.

22a  Exciting quality of African party in capital city (7)
{ROMANCE} – put the abbreviation for the ruling political party in South Africa inside a European capital city.

24a  Lover once passionate admitting end of her urge (6)
{EXHORT} – a charade of a previous partner (lover once) and an adjective meaning ardent or passionate with the end letter of (he)R inserted.

27a  It’s beyond the directors  to be honest (5-5)
{ABOVE-BOARD} – double definition, the first a cryptic way of describing something beyond the remit of a company’s directors.

28a  Lord beheaded king in play, then left (4)
{EARL} – Shakespeare’s aged king without his leading letter (beheaded) is followed by L(eft).

29a  One woman who may give others the sack? (10)
{DRESSMAKER} – cryptic definition of someone (usually but not always a woman) who makes clothes for women.

Down Clues

2d  Vulgar look of the French after Revolution (4)
{LOUD} – stick together an old interjection meaning look and the reversal (after revolution) of the French word for ‘of the’ (masculine singular version).

3d  Not all feel destiny, like the one most likely to succeed? (6)
{ELDEST} – hidden (not all) in the clue.

4d  This person starting a row is more powerful (7)
{MEATIER} – the answer starts with how the setter may refer to himself and this is followed by A (from the clue) and a row (of seats in a sports stadium, for example).

5d  Architect‘s name written on wood (4)
{NASH} – the surname of John, the Regency architect, comes from N(ame) followed by (written on, in a down clue) a type of white, hard wood.

6d  Cold parrot suffering in shelter by house (7)
{CARPORT} – C(old) followed by an anagram (suffering) of PARROT.

7d  This manual is wrong about one man’s economic theory (10)
{MALTHUSIAN} – an anagram (wrong) of THIS MANUAL gives us a description of the teaching of the English economist who urged sexual restraint as a means of curbing the increase in population.

8d  Prime thing for schoolkids to be put into schedule? (5,5)
{TIMES TABLE} – this is a clever all-in-one. Insert the prime letter (thing) of S(choolkids) into a schedule of bus or train journeys, say.

12d  Bit of verse from writer not exciting (last bits of it are poor) (10)
{PENTAMETER} – string together a) a writing implement, b) an adjective meaning wishy-washy or not exciting and c) the last letters of the final three words in the clue.

13d  Mister finally wears this thing possibly (10)
{NIGHTSHIRT} – another good all-in-one (for the definition you need to think of finally as ‘at the end of the day’). The final letter of (miste)R is wrapped up in (wears) an anagram (possibly) of THIS THING.

14d/15d  Faithful disciple person with time could become (5,5)
{SIMON PETER} – an anagram (could become) of PERSON and TIME.

15d  See 14d

19d  Bad person with heavenly body hugged by the old man (7)
{DASTARD} – a celestial body goes inside (hugged by) an affectionate term for one’s father (the old man).

20d  Big cars will get walkers avoiding street (7)
{ROLLERS} – walkers (ones in no particular hurry) lose the abbreviation for street.

23d  An artist takes in shy cat (6)
{ANGORA} – AN (from the clue) and the abbreviation for a recognised artist (Royal Academician) contain (takes in) a shy or shot. Not being a cat person I’ve always thought of this word as being a type of rabbit – I didn’t know it could also refer to a cat.

25d  See 26d

26d/25d  Promiscuity costing nothing, nothing (4,4)
{FREE LOVE} – a charade of an adjective meaning costing nothing and how an umpire at Wimbledon announces a score of zero or nothing.

My top clues (I was going to write favourites but I don’t want to incur the Wrath of Kath) are the two excellent all-in-ones: 8d and 13d.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {POLLED} + {ANSWER} = {POLE DANCER}

1. Miffypops
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Yesterday I got beaten up badly by an anonymous setter who played with me for hours. When I was completely done in he/she battered me with three nasty blows, 13ac, 6d, and the brilliant 1ac. I should have seen them coming. Today bruised and downcast I have taken on the mighty Don and have beaten him in a very enjoyable fight. Saint Sharon has gone to visit her mother, When she returns I am hoping she will do a bit of what the quickie pun suggests, remove her 12ac and offer a bit of 26 and 25d. Ooh la la.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Put some bromide in your tea immediately, young man :D

• spindrift
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I say old boy! A tad risqué at this time of the morning isn’t it? We don’t go in for that sort of thing on this site – it’s not healthy and it could frighten the horses. Next thing you know Gazza will start including images of scantily clad young fillies which will be deemed gratuitous by the more sensitive of souls….

Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

These three comments have cheered me up and made me laugh! :smile:

2. F1lbertfox
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Well, what can I say? except that I spent twice as long in completing today’s Quick Crossword than I did for the cryptic one. That wee thing really had me sweating on a couple. 7 down was the last one in for me on the cryptic crossword. I worked the anagram out more by logic than any real knowledge of the word, which I needed to then check in the dictionary. Thanks to the setter for a good fun puzzle. A good weekend to you all – don’t get blown over by the gales.

3. mary
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Good morning gazza, so glad the hints have come up, I have been stuck on 11a and 7d for ages! not heard of either word before, I stared at the puzzle for ages before I started but once I got going I was fine, apart from the two I couldn’t do, no amount of preservation would have helped, my two fav clues today were 27a and 20d, I did think that 25 & 26 were the wrong way round surely?? another gray day dawns in the West, we are however promised a nice weekend, we are off for a week in the motorhome up to Barmouth for my birthday week, macs and umbrellas all packed!!!!! See you all in June! Can’t believe it’s nearly Christmas! :-(

Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

In what way do you think 25 & 26 are the wrong way round?

• mary
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Because the answer is ‘free love’ not ‘love free’ ???

Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Yes. The clue has 26d first.

• mary
            Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

My printer ran out of ink and the last clue I have is 25d, saying see 26d, I looked at the puzzle on line and failed to see that in 26d they put 25d first if you see what I mean?

• Franny
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Have a good week in Barmouth, Mary, and a happy birthday! :-)

• mary
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you Franny, good to ‘see’ you :-)

Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Enjoyed the fight, agree with the ratings. 8d gave us most trouble to parse. We had the correct answer but had not picked up the nuance of where the S came from. A very clever clue, deserving of top-spot amongst a plethora of very good clues.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Agreed. I really enjoyed yesterdays wrestle. This was more gentle but still took time and effort. I have been venturing into toughieland with varying degrees of success but time constraints usually beat me in the end. I am saving Ray Ts puzzles for my holiday in Cornwall in June. Pimms and lemonade. Gin and Tonic. Real Ale. Crab sandwiches in nice locations. The Dt puzzles. No pub to open or clean. Bliss.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Started off very slowly and wondered if yesterday’s experience had destroyed my confidence completely. However, with application, managed to reach the end with help from the BRB and other aids. New words at 11a and 23d and hadn’t heard of Malthus either. Thank you Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle – trust you had a good party a few days ago. Thank you Gazza for your review. Your photo at 12a should get past the censors ??

• mary
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

With you on 11a and Malthus SW but I have heard of an angora cat

• mary
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

…but not ‘go’ for ‘shy’

• Sweet William
          Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday and have a good holiday !

• mary
            Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

• Miffypops
          Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

As in throw at a Coconut Shy if you see what I mean. I don’t see what I mean so I won’t mind if you can’t see it too Mary.

• mary
            Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I know what you mean Miffy’p’ but don’t see it either if you see what I’m saying ;-)

6. Colmce
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Cracking puzzle.

Thanks to Gazza for the review, welcome explanations of some of the word play.

Thanks to Giovanni for a good start to the day.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Don’t start me – today would be a very bad one to incur the ‘Wrath of Kath’! This is really turning into one of my less than good days – it’s cold, windy and raining so everything in the garden is getting bashed to bits, collie has had another stroke and is very wobbly again and, to put the cap on it, I’ve made a real pig’s ear of the crossword.
    Fatal error number one was 8d – first class, even though I couldn’t quite explain it – this did very little for most of the right hand side until I started to doubt it. Sorted that out eventually but just kept getting stuck – think my concentration is not at its best.
    As usual on Fridays there are a few words that are new to me. I didn’t know that an angora was anything other than a rabbit and I’ve never heard of 11a or 7d but the clues were clear so eventually did a lot of guessing and looked stuff up.
    This is all sounding as if I didn’t enjoy the crossword – I did!
    I liked 12, 17 and 27a and 6, 8 and 13d. My ONE favourite was 26 and 25d. Damn – even that’s gone wrong because it’s two but I’m going to count it as one!
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.

• mary
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Aw so sorry to hear about your lovely dog Kath, thinking of you :-(

Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks – have a good week and a happy birthday – let’s hope the weather cheers up a bit for you.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle to close out the work week. The only hold-up for me was working out 7D. Loved 19D just because it’s such a wonderful word. I also liked 19A because Sinatra was indeed an exceptional craftsman. I didn’t bother to parse 8D because the answer was obvious, but now I see what a clever clue it is. Many thanks to Giovanni and to Gazza for another fine review.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I think Gazza let us down by not putting a picture of Dick D and Muttley.

9. Clarky
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable this morning with several clues making me smile!
    11a last in. Not many around who would remember those now.
    Held up in top left after entering rude then lewd for 2d. Ah well. Getting better all the time. Grass calling for attention now.
    Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

10. angel
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

That’s more like it – today was a fun exercise completed before breakfast! 23d surely a rabbit or a goat but I gather a cat in days of yore. Thanks everyone and here’s to Saturday’s usually simple prize puzzle.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Really struggled with today’s, like the last two days, it was far too difficult for me. Usually I am a great fan of Giovannis work but today’s was way beyond me.
    1a was a bad start not being a word I have come across before and it went downhill from there. Totally missed the anagram indicator in 6d, panties defeated me and so on.
    Def not my finest moment today. No fun at all if you can’t answer the clues.

• mary
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Tomorrow Brian… another day, another crossword :-)

• HughGfan
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Dont weaken. I’ve been doing DT puzzles for years and still don’t get all the answers every time. Sometimes even the most obvious ones.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Don’t despair. I’ve been doing the DT crosswords for 60+ years and found this one a slog. Keep at it and you’ll soon be able to recognise anagrams, hidden words., etc. Many times I have to use my crossword solver gizmo, as an example, 7d, never heard of it but saw the anagram and it gave me checking letters for other clues.

12. Only fools
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Last one in 11a but really so obvious from the clue ,similar 22d .thought 8d terrific but took ages to see why ?.
    Sadly lost a nearby 150 year old Beech tree in gales this morning .Good old British Summer but this brightened the day .
    Thanks very much .

• Miffypops
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

You can console yourself with the thought that this time next month the nights will be drawing in.

• mary
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

yes and as I said earlier, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Apparently it snowed in Dover yesterday. i am seriously wishing I hadn’t taken today off as my employers are far more generous with the heating oil than Mr CS :(

13. Franny
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this, though needed help to finish. 11a I didn’t even recognise from the photo, and couldn’t work out the anagram at 7d either. The left side went in better than the right today. Many thanks to G&G and happy weekend to all. :-)

14. HughGfan
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Thank Gazza for 1a, got manic but could not think of the tree name, also a new word on me. Thanks also for 7d totally missed that one. Otherwise very enjoyable especially 11a, 12a and 21a. The Shakespearean king made yet another appearance too, does seem to pop up a lot. I agree with the ***/**** rating.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I’m sure that I should know this by now but who are Fred and Ginger?

• spindrift
      Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I think they are the stage name of 2 of our bloggers ~ CS & BD?

Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I was fairly sure that CS was one of them and then couldn’t remember (or maybe never knew) who the other one was.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Tilsit and CS.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

If BD and I do a joint blog, we use ‘Antony and Cleopatra’

• Posted May 24, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

And if Tilsit and I do a joint blog we use “Batman and Robin”.

• andy
            Posted May 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Not sure what is happening with blog for the Toughie today (viewing on IE7 -yes i’m still at work) , can only scroll down to the hint for 4a and cannot scroll further down? Miffed as I wanted to post how much I enjoyed it and was sad to miss the setter last evening. Andy

• Posted May 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

There was some garbage in the html for the blog – it should be OK now.

• spindrift
          Posted May 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Fickle hussy! Don’t you think I’ve got enough to remember? Mrs S is heading north for the week to care for the Aged P and the list I’ve been left to do is staggering beyond belief. I’ve only got the plant plugs to arrive for the hanging baskets from the growers and we could have a potential disaster of Biblical proportions on our hands should I forget to water them and put them in the greenhouse. Where are my lads when I need them…

Posted May 24, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Bring the plants down here. I got so wet on the short distance from the car to dentist and back then I had to change clothes when I got home. The plans definitely won’t dry up here.

And don’t call BD a ‘fickle hussy’ he won’t like it! :D

16. Catherine
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this after a rough puzzling week. Thank you to Gazza for pointing out the subtleties of 8d and that 14d and 15d were an anagram. Got the answer but totally missed that.
    Many thanks to Giovanni as well.
    Cold and rainy here too. Had hail yesterday!

17. neveracrossword
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

***/**** for me as well. A bit of sunshine after yesterday’s dreich offering.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s. A very enjoyable, but difficult puzzle. I almost completed it, despite falling at the first hurdle. I put leer for 2d, then changed it to lour to make 10a work, but I thought it wasn’t quite right so I needed the hint to finally get it right. Last one in was 7d, I had all the checkers and knew it was an anagram, but had never heard of Mr Malthus, whose name is now engraved on my brain :-) Favourites were 12a & 12d. Was 3*/4* for me. Miserable weather today in Central London. Great to see everyone yesterday in Wapping.

19. spindrift
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

7d takes me back to 1973 & Economics A level. Unfortunately Mr M’s theory didn’t stand the test of time as he failed to foresee the industrial revolution (i think that was it anyway)..

20. una
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I found this extremely difficult and needed lots of help to finish.I got 1a but I have never heard of it before . It removed all the confidence I’ve built up recently. Thanks to Gaza and Giovanni.

21. Derek
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed solving this puzzle from the Don. Had to get the DT in the late afternoon as it rained heavily most of the day.

I felt that 10a was rather weak it being a noun not an adjective!

Faves : 1a, 29a, 7d, 14d & 15d, and 26d & 25d.

Spent the morning defragmenting the computer!

Posted May 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand your point about 10a, Derek. The definition (charity event) is a noun, as is the answer.

• Derek
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I think that “fundraising” is the charity event and “fundraiser” is a person – that’s all!

Posted May 25, 2013 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Fundraiser can mean either the person raising the funds or the event (e.g. ‘We are holding a fundraiser for the local school’).

Posted May 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand ‘defragmenting the computer’ and was about to say what gazza has already said about 10a so will now go and get back in my box.

• Derek
        Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath!

The more that you use your computer the more it slows down because it is storing more and more programs many of which are in different parts of the disc. So every now and again you have to “defragment” or compact separate bits together to help speed it up.

Have a look in your “Tools” menu.

22. BigBoab
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable crossword of the whole week, many thanks to Giovanni and to Gazza.