Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment **

By Giovanni’s standards I thought that today’s puzzle lacked a bit of sparkle. Feel free to disagree.
To reveal an answer you need to highlight what’s concealed between the curly brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

1a  Smiles, having old pennies hidden inside jars (6)
{GRINDS} – smiles with the letter used for pre-decimalisation pennies contained inside.

4a  Disease in record supplied by one new medic (8)
{EPIDEMIC} – string together an old vinyl record format, the Roman numeral for one and an anagram (new) of MEDIC.

9a  Extremely keen to have e.g. paintings displayed around studio? (6)
{ARDENT} – what paintings are examples of goes round a studio or study.

10a  Take no notice of  sales ploy? (8)
{DISCOUNT} – double definition, the possible sales ploy often being an offer to take off the price rise that only went on last week.

11a  Fellow needing to produce vegetable (9)
{MANGETOUT} – a male person (fellow) followed by a phrasal verb to produce or manufacture (3,3).

13a  Looking ill in rash endeavour (5)
{ASHEN} – hidden in the clue.

14a  Trojan ‘gems’ are disciplined — one bawls at the soldiers! (8-5)
{SERGEANT-MAJOR} – an anagram (disciplined, i.e. brought into order) of TROJAN GEMS ARE.

17a  You want to see flower — so go on rambles possibly (6,7)
{ORANGE BLOSSOM} – an anagram (possibly) of SO GO ON RAMBLES.

21a  Obsession in Philippines capital putting learner off (5)
{MANIA} – there’s a bit of double bluff here; Philippines capital is neither the letter P nor the country’s currency but its actual capital city. Remove the L(earner) from it to leave the answer.

23a  Word from 14 offered with care (9)
{ATTENTION} – double definition, the first a word of command that may be heard from 14a.

24a  Community has hospital — dump seen on the outside (8)
{TOWNSHIP} – a verb meaning has or possesses followed by H(ospital) with a rubbish dump seen around them (on the outside).

25a  End component of Cambridge college lacking in its Oxford counterpart (6)
{FINALE} – Oxford and Cambridge have colleges with very similar names but the Oxford version is spelt with one letter less so it’s lacking a (5,1).

26a  Transmission from broadcaster — in panic all’s ignored (4,4)
{CALL SIGN} – hidden.

27a  In first two bits of translation language is more succinct (6)
{TERSER} – the Scottish or Irish Gaelic language goes inside the first two letters of TRanslation.

Down Clues

1d  It’s good joining group of stars with my entertainment award (6)
{GRAMMY} – this award for achievements in the music industry is built from G(ood), how we refer to the constellation (or zodiac sign) Aries and MY (from the clue).

2d  Individuals entering one Asian country from another (9)
{INDONESIA} – bit of an old chestnut. Insert a word meaning individuals in one Asian country and you get another. ‘From’ doesn’t seem quite right.

3d  Man’s beginning to entertain old city as a stage performer (7)
{DANSEUR} – this stage performer (the fictional Billy Elliot, for example) comes from splicing together a man’s abbreviated name plus the ‘S, the beginning letter of E(ntertain) and the usual old Biblical city.

5d  Indicating  an error with the way the psalm is being sung? (8,3)
{POINTING OUT} – double definition, the second semi-cryptic. I didn’t know this but psalms are apparently marked with signs for chanting so the answer could describe a situation where  this has been done incorrectly.

6d  Lecture lad with mice being mistreated (7)
{DECLAIM} – an anagram (being mistreated) of LAD and MICE.

7d  Opening about four weeks — there’s been a change of heart (5)
{MOUTH} – start with a period of time of about four weeks and change the middle letter.

8d  Trace any random curve (8)
{CATENARY} – this is a new word for me. It describes a curve formed by a wire or rope hanging freely from two points that are on the same horizontal level. It’s an anagram (random) of TRACE ANY.

12d  Authoritarian maiden perhaps leading course (11)
{OVERBEARING} – a charade of what may be a maiden in cricket and a course or direction.

15d  Islanders preserve excellent metal containers (9)
{JAMAICANS} – string together the type of preserve that goes on your bread and butter, the abbreviation meaning excellent or first-rate (although strictly speaking the second character should be numeric rather than alphabetic) and metal containers.

16d  Opinionated beast — dull and in charge (8)
{DOGMATIC} – a charade of a canine animal, an adjective meaning dull or without gloss and the abbreviation for in charge.

18d  What may be handed over by barmaids (good girls) (7)
{GLASSES} – G(ood) followed by another word for girls.

19d  Dawn is nurse misbehaving (7)
{SUNRISE} – an anagram (misbehaving) of IS NURSE.

20d  One with terrible anger prepared to move? (2,4)
{IN GEAR} – the Roman numeral for one is followed by an anagram (terrible) of ANGER.

22d  English lecturer’s first to go after recently instituted post (5)
{NEWEL} – this is the name for an upright post at the end or corner of a stair handrail. E(nglish) and the first letter of L(ecturer) go after an adjective meaning recently instituted.

None of the clues really stood out for me today. Which ones did you like?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {BARNS} + {TIPPLE} = {BARNSTAPLE}

1. MikeT
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Definitely thought this was fairly gentle for the Don – but very enjoyable, never the less. Spent ages looking up the names of Oxbridge colleges, but put in ‘finale’ as the only word that fitted and made sense of part of the clue. Real lightbulb moment when I read Gazza’s explanation .. so clever!

• John
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Glad it wasn’t only me doing that!
      Must agree though a fairly gentle end to the week.
      Many thanks to both the setter, and Gazza for those all important explanations.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Wow. */*** for me today. What a contrast to last Friday’s puzzle! Many thanks to the setter. Is it really the same one as last week?

My only problems were in the SE corner where, without thinking for long enough, I put “In Rage” as the wrong anagram for 20d which stopped me doing 25a and 27a. When I changed 20d, I was then able to solve the final two.

I particularly liked 11a and 25a, which are very clever clues.

Many thanks to Gazza for the review, which I needed to understand my answers for 5d and 27a.

• mary
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Great minds again RD for 20a, I wonder how may others fell into that trap?

• Brian
        Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Most of us I reckon!

• Beaver
        Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Re 20d, i think it was designed to trap women drivers!Don’t know the colleges in 25a,but had the right reasoning and actually watched a recording of the thriller in manila a couple ot nights ago which put me straight onto it, A **/*** for me today,liked 16d,sounds like a argumentative cur from an Astarix comic strip.

• steve_the_beard
          Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

To the stocks with the one who misspells “Asterix”!

• Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

You could always set Obelisk (sic) on to him!

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

All done without too many problems. Had not picked the subtlety of the college names in 25a. Had assumed that the allusion was to the names Oxford and Cambridge themselves, one of which has a final “e”. Longest time was spent parsing 5d. We searched through a very long list of meanings for “point” in our BRB before we came to the one that we had worked out from the word-play, must be there. And sure enough, it was.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Enjoyed the puzzle thank you Giovanni. Thank you for the explanation of 25a Gazza – as frequently happens I had the answer, but no idea why ! For some reason I had “pedantic” in mind for 16d but 17a resolved that. Thanks for the review and appropriate photos.

5. mary
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Good morning Gazza, I enjoyed this Giovanni, finding it between a two and three star difficulty, though have to admit, I got 25a wrong!! and at first put ‘in rage’ for 20d, taking ‘prepared to move’ as the anagram indicator! fav clues were 1d, 15d and 16d, thanks for hints Gazza, I needed them to understand 5d and 25a which was the one I got wrong

• mary
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

always thought mange tout was two words

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

So did I – off up garden now and into greenhouse to see if I can find the packet of seeds – some chance – can’t find anything in there at the moment.

• Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Not according to the BRB!

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I know – I just looked in BRB having sploshed up the garden to the greenhouse, hunted through piles of seed packets only to discover that we don’t grow them – we grow sugar snaps instead! :roll:

• mary
            Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

:-)

• mary
            Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Why did you splosh up to the garden Kath? Is it raining? blue and white sky here today :-)

Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

We seem to be suffering from one long April shower – actually it’s stopped now but not looking too hopeful for the rest of the day.

• mary
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Have to say on reflection, now understanding 25a, it is my favourite clue, even if a bit of a toughie

• Brian
        Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Had to revert to looking up the answer and still don’t get the ref to Oxbridge colleges!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Brian, the name of one of the Cambridge colleges is the same as the name of one of the Oxford colleges except that the former has an e at the end.

6. neveracrossword
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

**/*** for me. I got 5d and 25a but needed the hints to explain them. (I thought of the 2 colleges in question for 25a but couldn’t
    work out how they fitted into the clue). Much easier than last Friday.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I thought this was fairly straightforward today so 2*/3* for me.
    I didn’t know 8d but by the time I got there I already had alternate letters in so not much of a problem. Luckily neither the capital P of Philippines nor its currency occurred to me but I have to confess to having to look up the capital city and then it was easy. My VERY old Pears says that the capital is Quezon City (I’ve never even heard of that) and administrative functions are in Manila – I’m not quibbling here – just saying. I didn’t know the psalm bit of 5d.
    The only clue in the whole crossword which caused me major grief was 25a – how silly – oh dear!
    I liked 17 and 23a and 3 and 16d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.

• John
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Took me a while to remember (seeing the intersecting letters helped!) but never heard of Quezon City.

From Wikipedia (that font of all dubious knowledge)…..
      Quezon City (Filipino: Lungsod Quezon) is the former capital (1948–1976) and the most populous city in the Philippines. Located on the island of Luzon, Quezon City (popularly known to Filipinos as QC) is one of the cities that make up Metro Manila, the National Capital Region. The city was named after Manuel L. Quezon, President of the Philippines, who founded the city and developed it to replace Manila as the country’s capital. Quezon City is not located in and should not be confused with Quezon province, which was also named after the president.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

What a lot of information. So if Quezon City stopped being the capital city in 1976 Pears got it wrong – mine may be old but not THAT old – it’s a 1994-95 edition.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I really didn’t enjoy this much. For me, enjoyment factor is based on how many times I find myself smiling at answers. No smiles today, I’m afraid. Each to his or her own! I did get through it, except for 25A. Had no idea. Also hung up for a while on 11A. Those veggies are called something very different here and I had to delve back into the UK part of my brain. And I needed help to understand why my answer to 5D was correct, so thanks, Gazza, for the review.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Not sure about lack of sparkle, I just thought it was a bit sloppy and not up to his usual very high standards. Certainly 3 star for difficulty esp in the NW corner which I thought was very tricky.really do not like Grinds for Jars, just doesn’t seem right somehow.
    Thx to Gazza for the hints. Sorry Sir, just didn’t think it one of your best.

10. Nigel Baker
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Have to agree with Expat. It could be that Friday feeling. Got 25 a but have to admit I had a bit af a guess. Have to agree with today’s BD rating of *** and **
    Many thanks all

11. Graham
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Finaly back on line with new smart phone, l found this rather tame apart from 27A which took some working out.Thanks to gazza for an excellent review.

12. HughGfan
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Normally I need to finish the puzzles during my lunch break, however today got to the office at 8 and was all done by start of business at 9., was it really that easy?
    Although Finale was my finally one, I figured the ‘end component (of a show) was a finale.
    Loved the anagrams which dropped in very quickly. It would have been nice to see 19d today, too overcast and cloudy.
    Thanks to the setter for a nice gentle end to the week. Sorry Gazza, didn’t need your hints although they did make good reading after the fact.

13. BigBoab
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable if untaxing crossword, perhaps a tad too many anagrams for my taste. Thanks to Gazza for the review.

14. SheilaP
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Although we’ve got the answers to 1 across & 25 across, I don’t think the answer to 1 across means jars & even with the hint I can’t work out why the answer is the answer, if you know what I mean, to 25 across.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Both of these subjects have been commented on earlier today. If you look up 1a in Chambers it does say to jar or grate. and if yuo split your solution to 25a 5, 1 and then look up the two colleges, you will see that one college does, and the other doesnt!

• SheilaP
        Posted April 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you CS! but neither grate nor the answer to 1across means the same as jar, After all when one knocks ones knee on something, one doesn’t say ‘ Oh dear I’ve grated ( or the correct answer) my knee on the table leg, or at least I don’t.

• steve_the_beard
          Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

SheilaP

You’re on a loser here, you know… compare the fourth and the second below…

Chambers lists the following NINE meanings of the intransitive verb jar:

To make a harsh discordant sound
          To vibrate from an impact
          To give an unpleasant shock
          To grate (on)
          To be discordant or distasteful
          To clash
          To quarrel
          To be inconsistent
          To tick (Shakespeare)

and the following six meanings of the intransitive verb grind:

To be moved or rubbed together
          To jar or grate
          (with on or away) to continue (to work, etc) relentlessly and doggedly, esp at something tedious
          To read or study hard
          (with on) to drone or harp on (informal)
          (of a dancer) to circle the hips erotically (informal)

• SheilaP
            Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Some of those definitions seem positively indecent, sir, & I don’t believe them even if they are in Chambers or any other dictionary so there. Seriously though, thank you very much, I bow to your superior knowledge.

• steve_the_beard
              Posted April 13, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Not so much superior knowledge as superior cut-and-paste, I think :-)

Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Unlike Magdalene College in Cambridge, Magdalen College in Oxford has no FINAL E.

• SheilaP
        Posted April 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you gazza. I have heard of the two colleges, but just didn’t understand the clue or the hint.

15. Wayne
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Is it Friday ??? Found this the easiest Friday Xword for a long while. No hold up’s for me at all (which is most unusual). Thought 25a was a brilliant clue. Thanx to Compiler and to Gazza for his Review. */**** rating for me.

16. Colmce
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Knocked this one out in a personal best time without outside references…so on that basis definitely easier than usual. Still enjoyable and lots of nice clues.

Thanks to the two Gs for a pleasant interlude to another wise busy day

Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Not sure if you mean that you’re having another wise busy day or an otherwise busy day! :smile:

17. una
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Really very enjoyable puzzle today. Peculiarly enough,Chambers crossword dictionary spells mange-tout as two hyphenated words under vegetables.Perhaps hyphenations are out again. Favourate was 13a. Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

18. Michael
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Catenary was definitely a new word to me – oh, and I thought it was Oriel and Oriole Colleges but it came to the same answer – vaguely!

• una
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I wonder if I’l get to use it before it!

19. Outnumbered
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Straightforward for me today, */***

20. SusieW
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I found this much easier than usual, and loved 25a which was a very clever clue. Only problem was 8d because I am in a car (horrendous downpour here) and couldn’t check whether such a word existed! Thank you Gazza for confirming it, and for the explanation of 5d.

Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Susie, you’ve added an extra letter to your usual alias. Both aliases should work from now on.

21. Derek
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

I thought this was lacking the fire that we expect from The Don!

I liked 25a & 5d best.

Lot of rain these last two days inclusive of a hailstorm this afternoon!

• una
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

We had rain all day yesterday , but pleasant enough today.So you can probably look forward to better tomorrow.I agree about the puzzle.

22. una
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I just want to thank Big Dave and all his team for all the coaching I have received , to the point can (almost ) finish a Friday cryptic.Thanks!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s. Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it and was beaten by 27a and 25a which I still don’t understand, what are the names of the Colleges? Was 3*/4 * for me. Late blogging due to organising the Squash Tournament.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

The college names are given in various comments above (or you could try letting your cursor rest on the two pictures under the hints).

• Heno
        Posted April 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, got it now, clever clue.

24. Phill Kham
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hi,everybody.am Phill.3* for me.Really enjoyed NW corner and the nagramas!

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Phill. Now that you’ve introduced yourself I hope we’ll get more comments from you. This puzzle appeared in the UK last month – do you get it in an overseas paper?