Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ****

Good morning from South of the Loire. A very enjoyable crossword from the Monday maestro this morning, helped significantly by bright sunshine, even though we had a frost over night.

1. American detained by courts in European country (7)
{AUSTRIA} – Open areas found in the centre of Roman houses for example, are placed around US (American) for a republic in central Europe.

5. It means fewer hands and less hair (4,3)
{CREW CUT} – A closely cropped hair cut, could also refer to a reduction in personnel working on a ship.

9. Succession of Emperors, perhaps with new clothes (5)
{LINEN} – A word that describes a series of people who succeed each other is followed by N. Definition clothes.

10. Items of luggage may be this severely tested (2,3,4)
{ON THE RACK} – Somewhere you might place your luggage is also a phrase for being under great stress.

11. Striking reminder of a Lowry figure? (10)
{MATCHSTICK} – A type of lighter, also describes the thin and straight human shapes found in Lowry paintings.

12. Refuse permission to examine ring (4)
{VETO} – A three letter word meaning to thoroughly evaluate is then followed by an O (ring).

14. All out — or an insignificant person in? (6,2,4)
{NOBODY AT HOME} – A phrase that might describe everybody having gone out of their house, could also describe an insignificant person being in.

18. Key meetings are disrupted by conflict (12)
{DISAGREEMENT} – D (key) and an anagram (disrupted) of MEETINGS ARE.

21. Quote it in church (4)
{CITE} – Place IT inside an abbreviation for the Church of England.

22. Means of securing devotion (10)
{ATTACHMENT} – Double definition, a means of fastening, or a bond of affection or loyalty.

25. Ruth uses a new reference book (9)
{THESAURUS} – An anagram (new) of RUTH USES A.

26. Innocent one in church body (5)
{NAÏVE} – Put I (one) inside the central part of a church to get someone lacking worldly experience and understanding.

27. Possibly show me love in one way or another (7)
{SOMEHOW} – An anagram (possibly) of SHOW ME and O (love).

28. Irritates with unnecessary loss of a point (7)
{NEEDLES} – Remove S (South) from a word that means to be not required or desired to get a word that means provokes or teases.

1. Assurance dad will turn up and see doctor (6)
{APLOMB} – Reverse a two letter word for father, add LO (see) and finally add the abbreviation for Medicinae Baccalaureus.

2. It’s any made-up reason (6)
{SANITY} – An anagram (made-up) of ITS ANY is the sort of reason associated with a normal mental state.

3. Transfix in rehearsal (3-7)
{RUN-THROUGH} – Double definition, to pierce something for example with a sword, or an uninterrupted session of practice.

4. Around or a series of rounds? (5)
{ABOUT} – A word that means approximately or nearly, could also be a boxing match if split (1,4).

5. Initially canines stay calm around upheaval (9)
{CATACLYSM} – The first letter (initially) of canines, followed by an anagram (around) of STAY CALM.

6. Still without a rise? (4)
{EVEN} – Placid or calm, or flat.

7. Attendant taking tea to Evita (8)
{CHAPERON} – A person who accompanies someone else (usually an unmarried younger woman) is the Mandarin name for tea followed by well known but less diminutive name of the First Lady of Argentina.

8. Assume control and receive deliveries? (4,4)
{TAKE OVER} – a phrase that means to assume responsibility, could also refer to a batsman about to receive the bowling.

13. Rock group that’s been around for a long time (10)
{STONEHENGE} – Permanently playing in residence on Salisbury Plain since 2000 – 1800 B.C.

15. Piece of bad fielding brings defeat (9)
{OVERTHROW} – To have extra runs scored by badly fielding at cricket, is also a word that means to bring about the downfall or destruction of something.

16. Trains or coaches (8)
{EDUCATES} – To teach or instruct …

17. It’s displayed by weatherman in his other map (8)
{ISOTHERM} – A line that links points of equal temperature can be found hidden in the words “his other map”.

19. An idle drunk gets rejection (6)
{DENIAL} – An anagram (drunk) of AN IDLE.

20. Emphasise needing second lock (6)
{STRESS} – S (second) and a long lock of hair.

23. Vicar has no head for crime (5)
{ARSON} – Remove the P from an Anglican cleric to get the crime of setting something alight.

24. Attempt to form a party (4)
{BASH} – A simple double definition, an informal word that describes having a try at something, is also a word for a celebration.

The Quick crossword pun: (navvy} + {gaiter} = {navigator}

Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus ? if it was you, enjoyable and I thought, on the easy side of difficult ! Thank you Libellule for your review. Beautiful day here, as everywhere probably, so straight off to Marshside and Martin Mere for the day.

2. Mike in Amble
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

A gentle but enjoyable start to the week. Thanks setter and Libellule :)

3. Colmce
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

As above, a nice gentle work out to start the week.

Thanks for the review and to the setter.

4. Sheepdog
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Nice and easy this morning and over far too soon, did not need any hints which makes a pleasant change!

5. graham
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Morning all from the sunny south,managed to finish with no help,a nice gentle one to start off the week.

Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

2*/4* for me too. I wondered whether 24d might have been a triple definition, but perhaps to form/to bash might be a little weak??
    Thanks to Rufus for a very nice puzzle, and to Libellule for the review.

7. Only fools
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Certainly not exacting but certainly enjoyable .Personal favourite 13d .
    Thanks very much .

Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

A very weird thing happened for us. Yesterday in the Virgilius we had stupidly put in a wrong answer for 1d in that puzzle. The answer that we had put in, is exactly today’s answer for 21a! The sort of coincidence to send a shiver down one’s spine.
    Nice Monday puzzle, a little more difficult in the top half than the bottom.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

9. Jewel
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Not too taxing – 13D also rocked my boat!

10. Hrothgar
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Gently does it.
    Some neat constructions.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

11. Jewel
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Not too taxing today – 13D also rocked my boat!

12. Jewel
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

A nice straightforward start to the week but I tried to make too much of six down!

13. Caroline
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Over all too soon. Needed hint for 22a as I initially had engagement in, which made 13d impossible!

Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

*/**** for me today. Many thanks to the setter for a gentle and very enjoyable start to the week, which I managed without help. Thanks too to Libellule for the review.

Is 16d cryptic?

• Ian
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Only in the sense that trains and coaches are also those things that run on railway lines. So if you had that in your mind while you were trying to figure out an answer, like me(!), then you’d be struggling. I think it’s called misdirection.

15. pommers
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Off topic but don’t miss today’s Matt cartoon, it’s rather good :lol:

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

What Matt cartoon? Now I have retired the only reason I don’t like Mondays is that there is no Matt cartoon to start the day with a smile :-(

• skempie
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I assume you mean the on-line cartoon. If so, it was in Sunday’s Telegraph. But yes, it was rather amusing (I nearly said ‘tasteful’)

Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

There won’t be Matt cartoons all week – he always takes half term off :(

• albatross
        Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Depends where you live – half term here was last week! Though sadly I expect you’re right…

Posted February 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Matt has been making the most of the gift that keeps on giving! He is soooooo clever

16. skempie
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Missed Friday’s blog, sorry I wasn’t too well (thick head, temperature, bad leg all following a visit to the doctor for an MOT on Friday – Mrs Skempie refused to believe it was Plague).

Enjoyable but not to taxing today. Must admit to considering putting in matchSTALK in for 11A , Brian and Michael have a lot to answer for (thank you Wikithingy).

Nice looking day here, have a felling there might be a suggestion that I do some gardening coming my way very shortly.

• Ian
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

A felling in the garden? Watch the tree doesn’t fall on you!

• skempie
        Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

You’d be amazed what needs felling. Rose trees, a passionfruit orchard, weeds the size of redwoods. Think I might hire a gardener.

• mary
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Surely you’re still much too ill for all that gardening ;-)

• skempie
        Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I can still move part of one leg, so I suspect that will be enough to convince the memsahib that I’m fit enough for the garden.

17. Ian
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Good fun, just held up figuring out the key in 18a. Particularly liked 21a for its simplicity. Thanks to all.

18. Michael
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

A gentle start for a Monday morning – the only one I didn’t ‘get’ was 9a – I got sidetracked by the Russian Revolutionary leader who I convinced myself ‘succeeded’ a line of Emperors (Tsars) – what a fool!

19. Franny
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

It’s fine here in Geneva too, and I did today’s puzzle sitting in the sun with my morning coffee. The bottom half went in much more easily than the top, but all worked itself out without too much trouble. I think I’ve seen 1a and 23d before recently. Didn’t like 9a, as I don’t know what it had to do with Emperors or where the final n came from. N for new? Don’t like that much. That niggle over, there were lots of good clues and my favourites were 11a and 7 and 13d. Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule. :-)

20. Miffypops
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

My only problem today came from putting two correct answers in the wrong places so the correctly completed crossword is unreadable. Nice workout but a little too easy today.

21. mary
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon Libelulle et al, thanks for hints Libelulle, I did half before my rehab today sitting in the carpark, and have just finished it off with a little of your help, I think coming home and starting again dulls my brain or I feel I have ‘stuff’ to do, so I am impatient to finish it, a two to three star for me today I found the bottom half easier, it is a beautiful spring day here today with blue skies and sunshine and daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops, primroses and celandines all in abundance on short dog walk, the hedgerow is full of birdsong, beautiful :-)

• mary
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Putting ‘flat’ in at 6d didn’t help in the top right corner!

• pommers
        Posted February 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

FLAT is a much better answer IMHO :smile: I fell in the same trap.

22. SheilaP
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword today, not quite so cryptic as most, which suits me very well. Thank you to setter & hinter.

23. Collywobbles
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

What a lovely crossword. A good start to the week. Thank you Rufus – if it was you and to Libelulle for the review although I only needed it for reference purposes. Weather here today cloudy so I might as well be in Blighty with Mrs C is but I have to be here to receive my real ale shipment, expected this pm

24. Big Boab
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

The usual gently enjoyable Monday morning crossword from Rufus and the usual excellent review from Libellule, many thanks to both. Even up here in Fife the weather is glorious though we also had an overnight frost, long may this wonderful spell continue!

Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with Libellule’s rating as the only problem that I had was caused by my inability to read my own writing. I couldn’t even think of a word that fitted the letters I had in for 16d let alone fitted the clue too – I was reading my ‘D’ at the beginning of 18a as an ‘O’! Not a good start.
    I was a bit slow to get the first word of 5a (please don’t anyone ask why – I don’t know myself) and couldn’t do 1d and 9 and 11a for a while too. Spent too long trying to think of a Rolling Stones connection with 13d – presumably that’s exactly what was intended.
    My favourite clue was 14a. Also liked 10, 11 and 24a and 1, 2, 5 and 17d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Lovely sunny day – off to the garden.

26. AlisonS
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Nice gentle start to the week. Thanks to Rufus & Libelulle.

27. neveracrossword
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Excellent crossword. 13 down is a gem

Posted February 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the review and hints. A fairly straightforward puzzle to start the week, no real problems, thought 13d could have been stone roses, but it didn’t fit the checkers, the penny eventually dropped. Very enjoyable was 2*/3* for me. Started with 1a, finished with 20d. favourites were 14a and 13&17d. Lovely day in Central London.

Posted February 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t call this one easy but certainly enjoyable. Loved 13d and 14a. Many thanks to setter and hinter even though not needed, except to see the reason for 9a.

Cold (for us) here in Miami. Had to have the heat on for the last two nights, but was kept toasty and warm by three dogs trying to keep warm themselves.

• skempie
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

If its any consolation, we’ve had the heat on for the last 3 months – but then we don’t grow oranges (occasionally get a lemon from the tree in the conservatory)

30. Derek
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The usual pleasant puzzle from Rufus to start the week!

Faves : 10a, 11a, 14a, 28a, 3d, 5d, 13d & 16d.

Re 13d – there is a boat-shaped “Henge” at Kaseberga called Ales Stenar in southern Sweden which is worth a visit.
    I also remember visiting a site in New England with my son some years ago but it was very overgrown.

I have a book about all the British astronomical henges but I can’t find it at the moment!

• skempie
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Interesting subject to study Derek. I live a few miles from the largest henge ever built (at least, it was last time I heard) at a place called Stanton Drew. The stone circle that still exists is the second largest in the UK (113m) it originally had 30 stones but only 27 are left. To be honest, its nice to look at, but nothing special (say along the lines of stonehenge), its claim to fame is that they discovered that it was originally surrounded by 32 (I Believe) concentric wooden circles There is quite a nice write up about it on Wikipedia.

The best part for anyone visiting is that beside the circle lies The Druids Arms, a very pleasant pub indeed and always worth a visit. The village (and pub) were also the subject of a very good song by The Wurzels (When The Common Market Comes To Stanton Drew).

Posted February 18, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I have visited friends in Ston Easton quite often over the years but have not heard of Stanton Drew. I shall have to make a point of going next time, if only to go pubbing.

• skempie
          Posted February 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

There are actually 3 circles in Stanton Drew, The Great Circle behind the church, The North East Circle right next to the Great Circle and a much smaller circle in the garden of The Druids Arms known as The Cove.

• skempie
          Posted February 18, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Incidentally, The Druid’s Arms only serves food up until 2:00pm – it really is a proper English pub (except it does actually open during the afternoons now)

• Derek
        Posted February 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Skempie – many thanks for your comment.
        I still haven’t found my book on the stone circles etc.
        Unfortunately, as I can no longer travel. I shall not be able to visit your pub but in happier times long ago I would have been off like a shot!

31. pommers
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Pommette just loves Mondays. There’s Rufus here, 4 out of 5 weeks there’s also Rufus in the Grauniad and Rufus (under the name Dante) in the FT. Is that a surfiet of Rufi :grin:

I’m not such a fan of her favourite setter but I did enjoy today’s offering so thanks to Rufus. His puzzle in the Grauniad is well worth a look too (he’s not in the FT today).

No real favs but not too keen on 6d – no pasa nada.

Thanks to Libellule too.

32. una
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable, favorite was 7d. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.