Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ***

Usual stuff from the Monday maestro, it was fun while it lasted.

1. One who takes each issue as it comes (7,6)
{REGULAR READER} – Like someone who has a subscription to Private Eye perhaps?

10. Necessarily involves a silent working (7)
{ENTAILS} – An anagram (working) of A SILENT.

11. Cat provides company in flood (7)
{SCOURGE} –Another term for a whip can be constructed from CO (company) inside a sudden forceful flow of water.

12. Christian names should include hers (4)
{ANNA} – A girls name is hidden between the words “christian” and “names”.

13. Very light, for example (5)
{FLARE} – Is also a coloured light fired from a specific type of pistol

14. France’s summer celebration (4)
{FETE} – F, and the French word for summer.

17. Caviare might produce such greed (7)
{AVARICE} – An anagram (might produce) of CAVIARE.

18. Well-known Russian cocktail? (7)
{MOLOTOV} – Is also a type of petrol bomb.

19. Reckon to keep fit (4,3)
{WORK OUT} – Double definition, to find a solution, or to exercise

22. Interrupts and adds one’s contribution (5,2)
{CHIPS IN} – To interrupt with comments, or to contribute money or labour.

24. Spell it back to me (4)
{TIME} – An interval or period can be made from IT reversed (back) and ME.

25. Expression of disapproval by motorists or Scotsmen (5)
{HOOTS} – A word that could describe blowing your horn is also a Scottish word used to express annoyance or objection.

26. Unruly child stuck in algebra test (4)
{BRAT} – A word that describes a spoiled or ill-mannered child can be found hidden between the two words of “algebra” and “test”.

29. I adopt a Latin form of language (7)
{ITALIAN} – I and an anagram (form) of A LATIN.

30. Fashionable company importing wine (7)
{PLASTIC} – A word that means capable of being shaped or formed is built by placing an Italian sparkling wine inside the abbreviation for Public Limited Company.

31. Would a single blow put him out of the ring? (13)
{FEATHERWEIGHT} – Something very light or of little importance is also a boxer who weighs in under 126 pounds.

2. Disturbed at noise in the country (7)
{ESTONIA} – An anagram (disturbed) of AT NOISE is also a Baltic country.

3. University element will go around as one (4)
{UNIT} – U (university) and a silvery metallic element (Sn) reversed (will go round).

4. Sailors love to be free — so acquit (7)
{ABSOLVE} – ABS (sailors) and an anagram (to be free) of LOVE.

5. Conductor’s support for uplifting alternative string sound (7)
{ROSTRUM} – Alternative (OR) reversed (uplifting) and the sound of a stringed instrument is also an elevated platform.

6. Article on name-dropping? (4)
{ANON} – AN (article), and ON.

7. Eastern manoeuvres deserving to be taken seriously (7)
{EARNEST} – An anagram (manoeuvres) of EASTERN.

8. Act badly, avoiding punishment, and leave in style (3,4,4,2)
{GET AWAY WITH IT} – A phrase that means to succeed in avoiding punishment for something, could also possibly describe departing with the latest trends or developments.

9. Merit attention, as very good workers do — and very bad ones! (7,6)
{DESERVE NOTICE} – Someone who is entitled to or worthy of merit, could also be someone who needs a formal announcement of a job termination.

15. He is stubbornly resolved to leave part out (5)
{BIGOT} – A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own can be made using GO (to leave) with a word for a small portion or amount placed outside it.

16. Just about fifty will show talent (5)
{FLAIR} – Take a word that means honest and place it around L (fifty) to get a word that means having A natural talent or aptitude.

20. Storm about like a politician in anger (7)
{RAMPAGE} – A word that means to rush about in a agitated and violent fashion is created by putting A MP (politician) inside a word for intense anger or fury.

21. Beat, after exciting recount (7)
{TROUNCE} – An anagram (exciting) of RECOUNT.

22. Cast about on foot for someone else’s tool (3’1-3)
{CATS-PAW} – An anagram (about) of CAST is followed by an animal’s foot. Definition, someone else’s tool. There definitely seems to be a new policy where the apostrophe is now included in the enumeration. Personally I don’t like it, as it makes some answers very obvious.

23. Slight wound, sustaining no handicap (7)
{SCRATCH} – A long thin shallow cut, or having no golf handicap.

27. Raise 51 feet (4)
{LIFT} – LI (51), FT (feet).

28. Thanks must go to team transport (4)
{TAXI} – TA (thanks), XI (team).

The Quick crossword pun: {income} + {pleat} = {incomplete}

1. bifield
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Straightforward fare for a Monday morning. Enjoyable but over too quickly. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the review.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Very straightforward left hand side but the right was distinctly tricky esp the top right. Still don’t see what cat has to do with anything in 11a.
    Thought I was going to enjoy this but the top right rather spolit it for me. Pity.
    Thx to Libellule for the usual excellent clues.

• jezza
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

A cat is a shortened version of cat-o’-nine tails.

3. jezza
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

No real problems today, apart from trying to fit BOO into 25a!
    Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

• gnomethang
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

As usual, Jezza, exactly the same problem!.
      Thanks to Libellule and to Rufus for the puzzle.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Me too with 25a.

• Heno
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

And me.

• mary
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Not guilty today :-)

Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

And me

4. Poppy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this, although got stuck on 15d, last one in. 1/3 for me as well. Many thanks to setter & Libellule.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Must be me – found this harder than usual. But I find them all hard anyway ! Thank you Rufus and Libellule for your review.

6. angel
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Eezy peezy but short-lived fun! Thanks setter and Libellule for confirmation on 13a.

7. Only fools
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

As you say fun while it lasted .Although I did have to look up the specific gun for 13a as Ihad not come across it before .
    Agree with the rating .
    Thanks again .

Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Shame that something so much fun didn’t last longer – Mr CS laughed out loud when I read him 25a and told him the solution – and he never enjoys cryptic clues – strange man!

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule too.

9. Chris
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Went along nicely except for 15D, which completely stumped me. And for the life of me I couldn’t work out why 30A was what it was, although the answer fell into place without a problem. I’m blaming it on post-Superbowl fog. So many thanks libellule. I certainly needed your fine hints today. Thanks to the compiler, too, for an enjoyable start to the week.

10. Tony
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hello, first time post from a lurker. I enjoy this website and it provides invaluable help to me.

I thought 13a could be ULTRA. It also means Very and is a form of light….perhaps I am not on the same wavelength (boom boom) as the setter…..

• Libellule
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Tony

• lizwhiz1
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I put that in too!! Great minds think alike??????????

11. skempie
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Fun but fairly untaxing today. 15D held me up for a bit and I also tried to put BOO in 25A. Hum ho.

12. Colmce
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

A fairly gentle work out, great fun.

Thanks to Libelulle for the review.
    Thanks to Rufus.

13. Hrothgar
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Gently does it.
    There we are.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this straightforward at all – in fact I made a complete pig’s ear of bits of it. More of a 3* for difficulty for me.
    For some reason I thought a ‘very light’ was a torch that miners have on their heads – didn’t even look it up and just put ‘torch’ in. Oh dear!
    25a took ages – wanted to get ‘boo’ in there somewhere. 31a also took a long time and I just couldn’t do 15d and needed the hint for that one.
    Definitely not my day! One thing I noticed was that the clues were all quite short.
    I liked 14 and 22a and 8 and 9d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• Brian
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Much sympathy, I also found parts of it much harder than 1 *.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

If you want to get some more cryptic practice, I do recommend the Quiptic on the Guardian website. If you get stuck on that, which I very much doubt you will, BD has provided the blog of it on the Fifteen Squared site.

• una
          Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I just completed a few.Just my level, thanks for the tip.

• Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Did you realise when you said “Thanks to Moley and Blogger.” that I was the blogger?

15. christine taby
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Where is the quicky pun today

16. Steve_the_beard
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

That was fun! I enjoyed 30A for the misdirection, and 29A because I spent a lot of time yesterday cheering and chanting “Italia” :-)

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

• gnomethang
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I was with you all the way Stevie-Beardie!

Wonderful stuff!

• andy
        Posted February 5, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

there are times when i love the peterborough italian community, and that was one incredible if noisy evening here…. change subject belated happy birthday Gnomey

• gnomethang
          Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Thanks Andy – I thought I was going to catch up with you but my weekend was (pleasantly) hijacked by friends.

17. Big Boab
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for a fun crossword, if a bit untaxing, and an excellent review.

18. GMalaga
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

A tad frustrating because I found some so easy and then ground to a halt on the last few. Thanks for the hints.

19. mary
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Libelulle, a late Monday again for me six more weeks of rehab then back to normal on Mondays and Wednesdays hopefully! I just can’t get my brain into gear the same if I leave it til the afternoon and feel guilty about not getting on with something else!! Anyway thanks for blog Libelulle I did need your help with a couple a lot of it was 1* for me but the ones that weren’t take me up to a 3*, once again ‘trounce’ tuns up, after having it on Friday I think? that often happens or is it just me thinking that, no real favourites today and don’t really see 13a? Is a’ very light’ a name for a flare?

• skempie
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Mary, it was a trademark (I believe) for a parachute flare shot from a gun – very useful if you’re in trouble on a very small boat

• mary
        Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks skempie

Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

13a – it is a signalling or illuminating coloured flare fired from a pistol invented by Edward Very.

• mary
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

thanks sue just couldn’t see what ‘very’ had to do with anything!

Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Always makes me smile as I would imagine in real life, it might be quite heavy :D

21. Libellule
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Mary,

“Very Light” is indeed a type of flare fired from a special type of pistol.

• mary
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Merci Libelulle, we used to have flares when we had boats but I’d never heard of ‘very lights’

• Frogone
        Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Well I used to wear them in the 80’s (trousers I mean) so it didn’t really help here!

• gnomethang
          Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Tell me Frogone – What have you been wearing since the 80s if not trousers?

• Frogone
            Posted April 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Right! Jeans not flared trousers though… :-)

• gnomethang
              Posted April 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness! ;)

Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus & Libellule for the review & hints. Nice start to the week, got beaten by 25a, could only think it began with boot, doh! Was 2*/3* for me. Favourite was 6d. Lovely morning in Central London, managed to go for a run.

• mary
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

‘run’ now I remember that word somewhere in my distant memory :-) , today gentle strolls on flat ground are more my thing

• mary
        Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

even ‘nordic walking’ :-)

• skempie
          Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

‘Walking’ now I remember that word somewhere in my distant memory, today I use phrases like ‘where’s the car keys’

• mary
            Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

:-)

• Heno
          Posted February 4, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I’ve got to keep moving or I’ll seize up :-)

Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

At first I couldn’t bring up the puzzle online, just blank, but eventually it appeared. It was over in a trice, I was obviously on wavelength. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to do one with such ease. I feel quite cuffed. Thanks to all

• skempie
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Cuffed ? Lucky you !

Posted February 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Sorry, meant cHuffed but the iPad thingy changed for me and I didn’t notice.

24. Amy Field
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks as always – didn’t need so much help to-day !! Hope you all have a good week

25. una
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

For once I found this wonderfully easy,with the exceptions of 13a and15d.Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted February 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

30a was the one that caused a little hold-up with parsing. Took a while to see the “able to be fashioned” meaning for the definition. The rest all fell into place easily, but good fun. This is KiwiColin flying solo for a few days as the other half of the team away for a few days.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

27. Little Dave
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I agree – no more apostrophes please.

28. Geoff Coller
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Does anybody have a problem pressing ‘Submit’ and getting no response and how to fix it. It makes it difficult to check validity of a crosssword. Any help would be appreciated

• Derek
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Recently I find that when I press submit there is a delay before the comment is received but I put this down to telephony problems.

The server was working on our system in this region and informed that there could be problems especially with TV as well. There were but I eventually sorted it all out.

29. Derek
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle from Rufus.
    Faves : 11a, 18a, 30a, 31a, 9d, 22d & 23d.

Beautiful sunny day today for a change!

30. axe
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

I too attempted to submit the grid earlier and was automatically logged out (twice) so there for I checked my answers with the blog.

Unfortunately broke my glasses saturday, so I have had a period crossword free (cold turkey is hard).

I have just printed Sunday’s puzzle and the MMP, both look good from the surface reading. I am looking forward to an entertaining evening.

Many thanks to the setter and Libellule for the review.

• axe
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

PS. I do believe that my optician is settling the US national debt.

31. andy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

despite getting a different anagram for 10a (not even close to the definition) and stupidly putting it in before the downs this was still 1* for me but 3* enjoyment. Thanks to all