Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ****

Another really entertaining puzzle from the Monday Maestro, a lot easier to solve than it was to blog.

1. No bolts when this screw is working? (6,7)
{PRISON OFFICER} – Because he is busy making sure that inmates in a jail are not escaping.

10. First male worker is resolute (7)
{ADAMANT} – First male according to the bible and a small social insect.

11. They take the lead in arrests (7)
{COLLARS} – They are typically worn round the necks of dogs but its also a slang term for seizures or arrests.

12. Improve on the ebbing tide (4)
{EDIT} – Reverse (ebbing) the tide.

13. Spent about a pound for cloth (5)
{PLAID} – Put L (pound) inside another word that means having given money to, to get a tartan cloth.

14. New star getting county backing (4)
{NOVA} – A former county of South West England can be reversed to get a type of star.

17. Abandoned bore (7)
{YIELDED} – Double definition, to give up, or to give forth or produce.

18. Old city in part of S Africa is unaffected (7)
{NATURAL} – Put an ancient city of Sumer (much loved in crossword land) inside an old province of South Africa to get another word that means unrefined or pure.

19. Find made by a hunter (7)
{UNEARTH} – An anagram (made by) A HUNTER.

22. Speech and attire of modern times (7)
{ADDRESS} – An oration for example, and perhaps a female item of clothing worn after the birth of Christ.

24. Adds up the drinks (4)
{TOTS} – Totalling, or small measures of drinks.

25. Story-teller sounds ghastly (5)
{GRIMM} – Brothers who published a collection of fairy stories, their name sounds like another word that means grisly or gruesome.

26. One always on hand for a date, maybe (4)
{PALM} – The inner part of the hand could also be a tree that bears an edible fruit.

29. State encouraging one to let the matter rest (7)
{INERTIA} – In physics the resistance of a body to changes in its momentum, is also a word that can be used to describe a disposition to remain physically inactive

30. Quite correct to be trendy (5,2)
{RIGHT ON} – A phrase that could mean exactly, can also be used to informally refer to something that is modern, trendy, and socially aware.

31. Near the main holiday centre (7,6)
{SEASIDE RESORT} – This holiday location would be beside the sea.

2. Understand lies are wrong (7)
{REALISE} – An anagram (wrong) of LIES ARE.

3. Type of jazz cats combo (4)
{SCAT} – An anagram (combo) of CATS.

4. Annoyed when stung? (7)
{NETTLED} – You might be irritated or vexed by this urticarious plant.

5. Party making drama documentary (7)
{FACTION} – A group of people, a clique for example, or a work that consists of a dramatised presentation of actual events.

6. Misfortunes we keep well away from (4)
{ILLS} – A word for troubles etc, are also the things we need to keep away from if we want to maintain good health.

7. Charm of the French in love (7)
{ENAMOUR} – The French words for in and love produces an English word that means to attract or captivate.

8. Protective measure for people at play (6,7)
{SAFETY CURTAIN} – This could be used at a theatre if there was a fire.

9. Setting up in business (13)
{ESTABLISHMENT} – Founding or creating, or a place where a business is carried on.

15. Love to make an entrance, we hear (5)
{ADORE} – A word that sounds like (we hear) A DOOR.

16. Learning duty’s to be changed (5)
{STUDY} – An anagram (to be changed) of DUTYS.

20. Going to great lengths either end (7)
{EXTREME} – Double definition, exceeding what is usual or reasonable, or the outermost or farthest.

21. Virginia right to get a place in tough university (7)
{HARVARD} – Place VA (Virginia) and R (right) inside another word for rigid or firm to get a university in Massachusetts.

22. Unhappily married — lover required (7)
{ADMIRER} – An anagram (unhappily) of MARRIED.

23. Retired Thespian appearing as Shylock (7)
{EXACTOR} – Someone who forces payment of something could also be a former theatrical performer.

27. The last of many complaints? Definitely! (2,2)
{IT IS} – Dermat(itis), arthr(itis), cellul(itis) etc.

28. Food produced in layers (4)
{EGGS} – The layers are chickens.

The Quick crossword pun: {miss} + {under} + {standing} = {misunderstanding}

1. jezza
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I was a little slow in understanding 27d; other than that, no problems today. A nice puzzle to start the week.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

2. mary
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle, if I’m honest this puzzle took me a long time to get into, I needed your help for 3 clues, and to understand why 27d was what it was, several clues I liked inc 12a and 15d, got into a muddle with 14a, I always put these in the wrong way round, maybe it’s to do with being ambidextrous ;-) , because of this 7d and 9d were impossible that’s when I decided I needed your help! a 3 star IMHO today

Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

*/**** for me. An enjoyable start to the week, which for once I managed to finish without any outside help except to look up the obvious answer to 3d which was a new word for me. I particularly liked 8d and 27d. Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

4. Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Can’t.argue much with ** and **** (although ***+ might be closer for enjoyment). One or two nice bits if misdirection. All in all a good start to the week. Many thanks.

5. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

We were not detained for too long on this. Helped along by the anagrams. Rather liked 11a and 27d which were the last in. Thanks to setter and Libellule.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one and found it it quite straightforward except for 1a, tried warder, warden, governor everything except the right one! So obvious but got me.
    So thx to Libellule for the answer and to the setter for a pleasant start to the week.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I had the same problem and couldn’t think of, in retrospect, what was such an obvious answer. Naturally, this held up getting 5d, my last one in. Altogether a good puzzle and most enjoyable.

7. skempie
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Yet another gentle start to the week. No real favourites, but I feel that 14A should have the word ‘old’ before the word county – there hasn’t been a county of that name since 1996 and it would compliment the ‘new’ star.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Nice thought re 14A…

Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus and Libellule for your review. An enjoyable and not too taxing start to the week. Held up for a while by going for “rattled” at 3d.

• Patsy Ann
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I put needled!

9. Captain Duff
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword today. I liked the compiler’s sense of humour.**/**** sounds spot on. Thanks Libellule and well done to Rufus.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

A bit more than a 2* for difficulty for me – don’t know why.
    My last one in was 26a – couldn’t see it for ages. I didn’t know the second definition of 5d but it had to be what it is. Started off thinking ‘coastal’ for the first word of 31a but didn’t write it in – just as well! I also spent a bit of time trying to make 1a an anagram.
    I liked 1 (eventually) 11 and 25a and 6, 15 and 22d. Favourite was 27d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Chilly, grey, damp and foggy in Oxford.

• mary
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I tried to make 1a an angram too Kath, eventually saw the error of my ways, a nice bit of misdirection by Rufus :-) , grey and damp here today toobut not too cold

Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

It’s not really very cold here – think it’s probably me!

• Collywobbles
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

What a nice crossword to start the week with. Many thanks Libellule and Rufus for a good puzzle.
          Nice and sunny here today

11. Beaver
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Back to work! agree with **/****, good start to the week, nearly put fiction for 5a until i saw the double definition, liked 1a and the clues in general, did anyone else get stuck on saturday’s prize crossword clue 8d?what a dreadful clue!

• mary
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Agree Beaver, not exactly a word used in everday conversation!!!

• spindrift
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

My mother (82 years young) refuses to recognise it as a word & will not be convinced until she sees the solution. And please don’t get her started on the rest of the puzzle which she described in terms most unbecoming an elderly lady.

• mary
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

:-)

12. Mike
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

14a – “New star geting old county backing” would have been more accurate

13. Patsy Ann
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, but needed explanation for 27d. Obvious once it’s pointed out to you! Tried to fit one of the french words for ‘the’ rather than ‘of’ for 7d, but soon realised the mistake. Thanks to compiler and Libellule.

14. Roger
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. I never quite know which way round to put the answer when you have a clue like 14…as I stuck it in the wrong way round which totally threw me on 9d. Liked 1, 27 and 29

Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule

Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

14a the wrong way round can’t have helped much with 7d either!

• mary
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I did exactly the same Roger :-)

15. Big Boab
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Nice start to the crossword week from Rufus, my thanks to him and to Libellule for the usual masterly review.

16. SheilaP
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword today. Thanks to compiler & blogger.

17. Only fools
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Still smiling about 27d which was last in .Terrific .Agree with ratings .
    Thanks again.

18. Steve_the_beard
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

That was fun! 1A made me laugh, so that’s my favourite :-)

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

19. pommers
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Well, this took me a ridiculously long time – very close to 4*. I think my cryptic cells aren’t back to normal yet :sad:

Still in the hospital but feeling tons better. X-ray this afternoon and if it looks OK the drain comes out in the morning and I can go home on Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted but I’m not holding my breath :grin:

• spindrift
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Don’t hold your breath for God’s sake! They’ll keep you in thinking you’ve got more respiratory problems! How many times have you counted the tiles on the ceiling?

• pommers
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

You wouldn’t want to hold your breath anywhere near Dr Carratala, he’s a bit stern and I reckon you’d be in an iron lung before your feet touched! :grin:

Ceiling most boring, just painted bubbly stuff. Can’t see out the window from my bed and can’t move more than 3ft as my drain is hooked up to a water trap which is itself hooked up to some gizmo on the wall! Just getting a nurse to unhook it all while I go to the loo takes about 20mins!

At least the food’s OK.

• mary
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Hola pommers, great to hear you are feeling a little better, good luck with the x-ray and drain :-)

• Heno
            Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with your break for freedom on Wednesday :-)

• jezza
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Never mind the food.. what about the hospital vino?? :)
          Glad you’re on the mend

• pommers
            Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Vino non-existent for me :sad: Apparantly don’t mix with whatever antibiotic they’ve been filling me up with.

It’s terrible here – nothing to live on except food and water :lol:

• Poppy
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

So glad to hear you’re improving, Pommers. I’ve been struggling with a bout of pleurisy so your trials made me realise I’ve had it easy! But do hope you’ll make it home for Wednesday, with a glass of something nice to celebrate.
          Best wishes to you and Pommette.

• Libellule
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Pommers,
      Nice to hear from you, and glad to hear that things seem to be getting better.

• pommers
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Libellule, let you know after the X-ray results.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

That’s really good news, pommers. So glad that you’re on the mend. I hope the X-ray looks OK and that the escape on Wednesday goes as planned. :smile:

• Derek
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Pommers get better soon then you can once again enjoy Rioga y Navarra wines.
      In hospital, they take you off the grape – who was the US president who said life without wine was not life at all?

Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Libellule. Had to use the hints for 11&26a. Was 3*/3* for me favourite was 27d. Dull day in central London.

21. Miffypops
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I found this one far too easy. Both puzzles were completed in ** minutes total. I don’t feel and sense of acheivement. Hopefully tomorrows will be tougher.

22. Libellule
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Miffypops,
    Apologies, but I edited your comment – we try not to mention solving times on the blog.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 8, 2013 at 2:08 am | Permalink

I thought that might be the case. Sorry for mentioning it. I thought this one belonged in the childrens book of crosswords. I want a wrestle but there is no toughie on a Monday.

23. Poppy
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this (after totally giving up on Sat’s prize crossword – still can’t work out the answer to 8d). So will deep trying. Thanks to Libellule & the Setter. 2/4 for me as well.

• Poppy
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Meant ‘keep’ although deep trying also describes my attempts.

• albatross
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy – I too was flummoxed for 48 hours then out of nowhere it hit me this afternoon. I’m too much of a coward to give you a hint but persevate and it will come.

• Franco
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Poppy, (Sat’s prize crossword – still can’t work out the answer to 8d)

The hints for 8d are still there – http://bigdave44.com/2013/01/05/dt-27067-hints/

All the many derogatory comments have disappeared into the ether!

• Poppy
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Oh thank you, Albatross and Franco – my problem is that even with the hints I can’t ‘get it’ (8d) But I’ll try and perseverate – & appreciate the encouragement!

• Posted January 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

In the hint I provided a link to an online anagram solver which will give the answer.

It’s a truly dreadful word that should not have been used in a normal crossword. On Friday I’ll give a couple of simple changes that could have been made to the grid in order to improve the puzzle.

• Poppy
            Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Oh thanks BD – I’d made the mistake of using my old anagram solver (to no avail), so I hadn’t tried the site you kindly suggested. Now voila! I have the solution at last…. Oh dear! Look forward to reading your more elegant suggestion/s in due course. Really truly deeply appreciate this brilliant site.

• Poppy
              Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

And hurrah! Thanks to all the help I’ve finally finished the Sat. prize crossword – never thought I’d manage it.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

This is a puzzle that could be held up as an example of what a cryptic crossword should be like in our opinion. Lots of really good clues of all different types. Favourite 27d. Enjoyed the solving process. Agree with **/****.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule

Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

It seems a very long time ago since I solved this very nice Rufus puzzle at the start of a busy day. I particularly liked 27d. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule too.

• pommers
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Sue, just had a look at last Monday’s spider lady Quiptic on your recommendation. Thanks for the tip, it was good fun but my V6 is definitely only firing on 4 cylinders! Took me ages to finish and it wasn’t very hard!

• una
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

That would be the antibiotics, of course ! Get well soon.

26. Derek
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

The usual pleasant start to the week from Rufus.

Liked : 1a, 11a, 30a, 7d, 21d & 27d.

• Derek
      Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Hi BD!
      The timing capability for editing &c has vanished,

I still get Sue’s green triangle instead of her flowers – is this a result of the recent crash of the site?

• Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

1. The comment timer is still set, but seems to have stopped working.

2. Sue’s avatar works for me. It is hosted on gravatar.com which is a totally separate site.

• Only fools
          Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

It is a reversal of last week iPad/green man ,computer /flowers .I guess Derek is using an iPad .
          I have learnt NEVER to download the monthly prize puzzle or NTSP via iPad missed out on instructions etc etc .Have been puzzling about it for month(Java problem?)

• Derek
            Posted January 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

I am using my normal computer not an iPad.

• Posted January 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

The comment timer seems to be working again. The plugin author issued an update yesterday and again today, so I think the latter corrected the error (although the update didn’t mention it!}.

27. marcus brown
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Delightful crossword. Wish they were all like that. Short polished clues with great surface readings and I always love the Rufus cryptic definitions

28. una
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

A really enjoyable puzzle. Last week I was in London and out of internet reach, and found tue through friday very difficult, and I have no idea if I was the only one.Thursday I found the toughie easier.A setter (can’t remember which one) said recently that it is easier to make a difficult puzzle than an easy one. I hope other setters keep newish solvers in mind. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

29. Little Dave
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword to ease people into the working week. 1a misdirected me as an anagram until the penny dropped – a lovely clue and the best of the day in my opinion. All done on the Circle line between Liverpool Street and St James’ Park. Good to see the trains back to being busy. Has been a lovely two weeks during the festivities.

30. bettyboo
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Love this!
    Failed miserably at previous attempts.
    Now have some understanding.
    Great. Thank you

• Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog bettyboo