DT 26564 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26564 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

1a           Form of study is a challenge to those driving in Kent (8,6)
This form of study could also describe the venue for this year’s Open Championship for golfers – and those who like watching paint dry!

12a         Drive into rough building left half falling down (10)
A charade of to drive into, perhaps as part of a raid, a rough building and the (left) half of LE(ft) gives a word meaning falling down

17a         Drink’d get consumed in great tribute (8)
Put a popular soft drink and the D from ‘d inside a word meaning great to get a tribute

26a         Investigator working on Crime Stoppers half-heartedly (9,5)
This fictional investigator is an anagram (working) of ON CRIME STOP(P)ERS without one of the Ps (half-heartedly)

1d           Regular payments on fossil fuel — it’s found under ground (7)
Put regular payments to a club or society above a fossil fuel to get a layer below the ground normally used in cultivation

7d           What Keegan was to Toshack’s attractive girlfriend? (8,7)
… or what Crouch is to Defoe … could be a way of describing an attractive girlfriend – the setter is showing both his age and his allegiance here!

13d         Some bedding plant’s head knocked off by ball (10)
It’s all in how you lift and separate – some bedding is created by replacing the first letter of a species of primrose with fragrant yellow flowers, common in pastures, with a ball of medicine

19d         Others see turnover in fashion again (7)
… for see read diocese!

23d         Concert for millions (4)
This concert, like one of those held at the Albert Hall every year, is a charade of a synonym of “for” and M(illions)

The Crossword Club will open at 10.00am. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {stand-in} + {groom} = {standing room}

1. Nubian
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Very very enjoyable, a puzzle you don;t want to finish too quickly. Lots of giggles and smirks along the way.
    Favs were 2d,3d,4d.
    Thanks to B Dave and the Setter, wonderful.

2. upthecreek
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I think you have to be 2 to remember 7. I suppose 7 will be be no problem for Mary! Wonder what Mary and Kath will make of 15 though. My favourite was 2 but I enjoyed the whole puzzle, which was quite a change for a Saturday.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Did manage 15a AND 7d! I think Mary is away for just over a week!

• upthecreek
        Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Well done, Kath. I am very impressed!

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Oh good – thanks! So glad that someone is impressed with something that I’ve done today. Life is a bit tough around here at the moment.

3. Mike in Amble
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Thoroughlly enjoyed this morning’s puzzle. :D Favourite clue is definitely 1a. Many other satisfying solving moments. Thanks setter and BD

4. Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I’ll plump for 2d and 3d as favourites as well. 26a was nicely observed as well. Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

P.s. Happy Birthday Mary!

• Franny
        Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Oh, is it Mary’s birthday? In that case I wish her a very happy one, too! :-)

Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I think Mary said that she is going to be away for a few days but Happy Birthday to her anyway. :smile:

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Quite tough but very enjoyable ESP the footballing clues on this day of all days! But cannot for the life of me get the last two, 3d and 4d. Know nothing at all about tintin and can’t even get a word in 3d with a * and a * in it. Help!

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Brian.
      3d – Seduce daughter in club (4)
      You need a synonym for seduce and the abbreviation of Daughter to get a type of club associated with 1a.

4d – Tintin’s knees-up (6)
      You’ll kick yourself, twice – I did too!. A synonym for tin, twice, is a knees-up

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

4d Tintin’s knees-up (6)
      Nothing to do with the cartoon character – placing tintin at the start of the clue suggests that it is a proper name!

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Yes, I enjoyed this one too as I became sidetracked with Herge’s characters until the penny dropped. Our compiler today must be a Liverpool supporter to use that pairing as an example, because I can think of others, and I’d just remind all Manchester United supporters that we’ve won the European Cup five times…

• Franny
        Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Is that the same device as Hitch the other day?

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

The other one was a nickname and was relevant to the answer.

This one was purely misdirection.

• Franny
            Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, and I’m so easily misdirected! But thanks for telling me.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Buttery! B….y predictive texting!

7. Wayne
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Despite having all the checking letters it took ages before the penny dropped for 1a. Best clue for me was 6d.
    Thanx to setter and BD

• Peter
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Best clue for me was also 6D

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Just seen them! Should of thought golf and ignored hedges character! Excellent!

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Brian

It helps to keep the thread together if you use the “REPLY” option

9. Nick
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Nice crossword this morning. Thanks to BD and the Setter.

Enjoyed 2d, 3d and others… 3d last in for a big grin and thought 2d was a wonderful anagram.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone.

Nick

10. Prolixic
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Wonderful crossword from the Mysteron. Many thanks to him and to BD for the notes.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Superb from start to finish. Lots to make you smile and too many good clues to pick a favourite. Thanks to the Mysteron and BD.

• brendam
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thanks, thanks and thanks again to today’s setter! A lovely morning workout. Too many good clues to pick a favourite but 4d really made me laugh. Thank you also B.D. for the hints

12. Franny
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m sorry to say I’m not enjoying this at all. Thanks to BD’s hints I’ve been able to add some words to the half dozen I’d found, but it’s like pulling teeth. Shouldn’t think I’ll finish, and I usually have no trouble on Saturdays. :-(

• Nubian
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Stick with it Franny, there is a point in the puzzle where the domino affect kicks in and it’s downhill all the way from then.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I thought that this was difficult too but have now finished it after quite a struggle – almost gave up very early on. Keep going – good luck! :smile:

• Franny
        Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Kath and Nubian, for your encouraging messages. I have now struggled to the end, but it was a great effort and needed every bit of help I could gather.

13. BigBoab
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Very entertaining but untaxing crossword from the mystery setter.

• Jezza
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Ditto – thanks to setter.

14. Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle!

15. Drongo
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I managed to do it today! Thought it was tough in parts. The last part of 19d had me scratching! Got 16d wrong for a while until I realised I was in the wrong ocean!

16. Sarah F
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Am enjoying this but struggling with 2D and 7d. Any more hints?

Re 25a, had forgotten what my old Bush TR130 radio, of which I was SO proud in 1969, was!

Fav clues 26a, 9a, 1a, 12a and 6d

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

2d Rather old concern kingship engendered (2,6,7)
      You might describe someone who is rather old as not being something any more – it’s an anagram (engendered) of CONCERN KINGSHIP

For 7d try hovering over the picture!

• Steph
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Ive got what I think sthe answer to 25a but dont understand the radio bit?
      help on 11a please

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Do you still need help on 11?. The old radio in 25 is a colloquial name for a Transistor Radio.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

11a Rows rise up, head to tail (4)
        You want a verb meaning rows (in a boat). Start with a verb meaning to rise up or take flight and move the first letter to the end (head to tail).

Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Not my week for crosswords – I thought that this was difficult – have now finished, and enjoyed it but it’s taken ages and on the first read through of all the clues I had precisely ONE answer – almost gave up at that point. Got both “footbally” clues but only because of checking letters in 7d and 15a was a guess and then worked out why. Messed things up for a while by making the second word of 10a “slip” – that really didn’t help at all! Favourites 12, 24 and 26a and 2, 4 and 6d. Have a good weekend everyone. Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave.

• Steph
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

maybe you could help me on the 10a Im stuck?

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Steph.
        10a – inadvertently revealed what could be retold quietly (3,4)
        The definition is ‘inadvertently revealed’ and it is also an anagram (could be) of RETOLD and P(iano) – quietly.

• Steph
          Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

oh I see – its the P that threw me – thank you so much I still dont understand 11a is the def ‘rowing’ Im being really dim with this I find them so harfd, mind you 1 year ago I couldnt do any – so there is a slight improvement! slight mind you…

Posted May 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

For 11a see my response to your comment at #16 above.

• Steph
          Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Im now stuck on 16d I had the answer as a large Ocean off the N Sea but my- ******** throws it out completely1 help

Posted May 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Steph,
            Please don’t put answers in your comments. For 16d see Gnomethang’s explanation at comment #20 below.

• akap
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

15 a still puzzling me, I have the answer ( I think) but for the life of me can’t work out why.
      I made a very slow start to this one and when I had finsihed I had 5 answers without understanding the construction (12a, 15a, 17a, 3d and 19d) reading the forum has given me the explanation for 4 of them but still struggling with 15a.
      A very enjoyable and satisfying puzzle, just the right level for me.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

15a Mark a footballer endlessly, source of danger cut off (8)
        The definition is cut off. Start with the abbreviation for mark (the old German currency), then add A (given in the clue), the surname of probably the most famous current English footballer minus his final Y (endlessly) and the initial letter (source) of danger.

• akap
          Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, I would never have worked that one out.
          and there’s me thinking Bryan Briggs was the most famous footballer of the moment.

18. Spindrift
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Another good Saturday treat. No real favourites although 4d caused a wry smile once I’d stopped thinking about the Belgian Boy Detective.
    Thanks to the setter & to BD as usual.

19. Crystal
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness for this site – I’d never have got the sporting clues without you… Not a very ‘girlie’ crossword this week!

• Jane
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I agree! I had to resort to asking my husband about 7D, which really went against the grain. I can’t do cricket or football clues. Loved 6D.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Crystal and Jane – agree – can’t do sporting clues at all and my husband isn’t much better so rely on this site heavily for help with them.

20. Anncantab
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I thought this was difficult for a Saturday. A few I wouldn’t have got but for the hints: our local diocese makes yet another appearance in 19d.

Re 18d, the only answer I can get from my checking letters is another sea, thought definitely not a northern one.

Thanks for the v welcome hints.

• Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Anncantab.
      16d Jerk following man leaving off North Sea (8):
      The sea is not a northern one. We need to remove N(orth) from a man’s name and add the usual involuntary movement (jerk)

• Anncantab
        Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Yes, thanks, I think I am right, though the man’s name is not all that common !

Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I don’t think the man’s name is that uncommon – think that names come and go – as an ex-nurse if someone showed me a list of patient’s names I could probably guess their ages to within five or ten years – eg someone called Ada or Doris would probably be in their eighties – the man in 16d is probably in his late fifties or early sixties.

• Nick
            Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

He used to be 13 and 3/4 …

Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & Big Dave, and everyone else. I struggled with this one, so all the hints and comments were a great help. My favourites were 19 and 25

22. Mr Tub
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Quite pleased with myself for picking up the football references as it’s a game I don’t have much time for. Would never have got 1a without BD’s hint, but after that the last few in that corner fell into place, including 4d which is my favourite today. Thanks to BD and the setter.

23. Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Message from Mary via Facebook:

“Hi gnomey have just finished today’s crossword whilst ‘watching’ Man u lose Yes! Although I can get onto website I don’t seem to be able to comment so was wondering if u could pass on my thanks for birthday wishes. Thought this was quite tough today
    Cheers
    Mary”

24. Peter
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Hi All

This is my first visit to BD. Have been solving DT crossword for many years, nearly finished this one. 6D very clever.

Peter

25. Lostboy
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Really good puzzle.
    Enjoyed it and some really fun clues.

And actually finished it!