ST 2587 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2587 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a           Old Italian family doctor joining one in Rome (6)
This old Italian family of bankers and merchants whose members effectively ruled Florence is a charade of a doctor and the Roman numeral for one

11a         Makeshift set of a dozen put in box, in case (4)
These twelve good men (and women) decide on the verdict in a court case

21a         Modern composer’s arrangement of bars using four notes (4)
This modern composer’s name is a) an arrangement of bars to hold a prisoner and b) an arrangement of four notes of the diatonic scale

25a         Person in pool, perhaps, who executes key strokes without a break (6)
This person in an office pool presses keys on a keyboard for a living

1d           Cause of fever bringing physicians to capital of SA (8)
This insect, responsible for spreading malaria, is a charade of some physicians and a South American capital city

5d           Model taking Catherine’s place, under pressure (7)
This model of perfection is constructed by putting the home city of Catherine, Henry VIII’s first wife, after (under in a down clue) P(ressure)

I’m sure Ray T would have worked “Queen” and “Under Pressure” into the clue – cue a song!

9d           Person whose work for someone else is bound to be finished (5-6)
This person, whose job it is to prepare material for someone else who is the named author, has their work bound into a book when it is finished

21d         Plants put in front of court before start of play (5)
These plants with thick fleshy stems that store water, and leaves reduced to spines or scales, are a charade of C (front of Court) and the first section of a play (3,1)

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Sir David Attenborough (85)

Posted May 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Quick to solve, usual brilliant clues – thanks to Virgilius and BD.

2. Qix
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Another excellent Sunday puzzle, keeping up the high standard.

Many thanks to Virgilius and BD.

3. gnomethang
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Top stuff, although not so hard I did take my time on this as I like to savour the Sunday puzzle. Thanks to BD and to Virgilius.

4. Spindrift
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable although I’m not sure how 18d works. Favourite clues were 4a & 21d. Thanks to V & to BD.

• Posted May 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

18d Author taking up time in schedule before play (7)

Reverse (taking up in a down clue) time in a schedule (4) and add a word meaning to play – result: a Russian author.

• Spindrift
        Posted May 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD – sometimes I forget some of the fundamental rules when solving clues. One of which should be to read the clue from start to finish, then back to front before finally looking at each word in turn!

5. pegasus
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Usual high standard for a Sunday favourites for me were 11a 9d and 18d but the standout was 14d. Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the comments.

• Mr Tub
      Posted May 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I’m with you pegasus, 14d all the way!

Posted May 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Me too but there were others – see later comment!!

6. Karl
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I have found this a challenging and enjoyable workout, but am struggling with 6d, the ripped fabric reference is confusing me, and I wonder if “new” is an anagram reference.

• Posted May 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

6d Agreement to use new ribbed fabric in garment (9)

This agreement is created by putting N(ew) and a ribbed facric inside an outdoor garment.

Note that it is ribbed not ripped!

• Karl
        Posted May 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Crikey, thta’s a new word for my vocabulary. Thanks BD.

7. Mike in Amble
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant puzzle this morning with some fascinating clues. I liked especially 9 and 15 down. I bet BD and Pommers found the quickie less vague today and not so much of an hair remover. :) Thanks to setter and BD.

8. Prolixic
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

A satisfying Sunday solve. Many thanks to Vigilius for the crossword and to BD for the review.

Posted May 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Not too tricky, and good fun. 3d made me smile!
    Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

10. bitsbits
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD. I wouldn’t have done it without your hints. I just need something to get me started.

• Posted May 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

That’s why the hints are there! Well done.

11. mary
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

First for a long time that I have given up on, just can’t get to grips with this today, even with your hints Dave! Away until next Sunday now, wish me luck with the weather in Barmouth :-) see you all soon

• Mike in Amble
      Posted May 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Enjoy your hollibobs. Thunderstorms here…. looks better down south. :P

Posted May 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Don’t know where Barmouth is but hope that the weather is kind to you and that you have fun. ‘See’ you next week.

12. Lostboy
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Ace puzzle, lots of good clues and a few laughs.
    3d, 17d 18d.

Yet again I get the feeling that the South half (hemisphere?) had a different compiler to the North. Whipped through the N, slow with the SW, and stuck on the SE for hours.
    Didn’t help that I thought 18d was the author of the Hobbit for a while…….

Posted May 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

An easier Sunday crossword than most – well, I thought so anyway. Some wonderful clues and just a couple of questions. First, in 11a why do we need ‘makeshift’? In 25a why ‘without a break’? I thought that 1d was very cleverly misleading – am I the only person who automatically thinks that ‘SA’ is ‘South Africa”? Spent a while trying to make 12a ‘…..hound’ but couldn’t think of one and got there in the end. The clues that stood out for me today were 13a (worthy of Ray T!) 16 and 24a and 3 and 15d – best of all 14d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and Big Dave.
    Lots of rain – our grass is greener already ….. :smile:

• Derek
      Posted May 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

South Africa is ZA Kath!

• Franco
      Posted May 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Kath, your questions are the same as mine:-

11a – Makeshift?
      25a – what is the significance of “..without a break’.

I also tried very, very hard to put a “hound” into 12a.

• Qix
        Posted May 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

11a – The solution can also mean “makeshift” – as in ****-rigged, etc.
        25a – “…without a break” converts “key strokes” to “keystrokes”.

• Qix
          Posted May 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

From Chambers, the lesser used sense of 11a: “Nautical. (Serving) as a temporary expedient, makeshift.”

• Franco
            Posted May 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Qix, Thanks for your reply! I will now go away and cogitate! (Currrently watching Alan Sugar on the finances of football) – I’m sure that he has the answer to Everything!

Posted May 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all for the replies above – I think that I now ‘sort of’ understand! See you all tomorrow.

14. Derek
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Another rollicking good puzzle from Virgilius! Had to wait ’til F1 was over before tackling it.
    Best for me : 1a, 14a, 16a, 25a, 1d, 5d, 6d, 9d, 14d & 21d.

15. Addicted
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Had no time to-day for a proper “go” – too late now, but may hve a quick look in bed – have done only five so far so don’t hold out much hope of finishing before sleep overcomes me. Hey ho – will try again next week. But DID get 1d!!

16. pommers
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Done about half of this in the bar before having to come home to get the beef out of the oven. Pretty good puzzle so far but haven’t been able to get back to it, what with eating and then a visitor for a glass or two. Will have to finish tomorrow before tackling the Rufus, and the Rufus in the Grauniad and the Grauniad Quiptic. Busy day in store with bridge in the afternoon! Hey ho!
    Thanks to Virgilius and Dave.