Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

Libellule is up to his eyes in work this morning, sorting out a problem for one of his customers, so I’m sitting in for him (as all the best radio jocks say!) and he’ll reciprocate tomorrow.
I thought that this puzzle was towards the harder end of Rufus’s range. There are loads of cryptic clues and it’s very entertaining. A comment with your views would be welcome.
The answers are concealed between the curly brackets under the clues. Drag your cursor through the space to reveal one.

Across Clues

1a  Strive to cheat as many as possible (2,3,3,3)
{DO ALL ONE CAN} – a phrase meaning to strive to do one’s best could also, cryptically, mean to cheat as many people as possible.

9a  One may bowl a maiden over, or get a wicket (4,5)
{GOOD CATCH} – double definition – a desirable marriage partner and a method of dismissal at cricket (one that’s beyond the England team, based on their performance on Saturday).

10a  Symbol of sovereignty King Charles had to acknowledge (5)
{CROWN} – this is a symbol of sovereignty. Start with the initials of King Charles and add a verb meaning to acknowledge or admit.

11a  Provocative article in communist paper (3,3)
{RED RAG} – double definition – something that is supposed to provoke (especially a bull) is a cryptic way of describing a communist tabloid paper.

12a  Bow Street? (8)
{CRESCENT} – the name possibly given to a street with a gentle curve.

13a  Subject matter about right for a mundane circle (6)
{TROPIC} – mundane here means earthly, from the latin, so what we want is a circle (one of two) round the earth. Put something under discussion (subject matter) around R(ight).

15a  Extra-large portion of chicken or moussaka (8)
{ENORMOUS} – part (portion) of the clue is an adjective meaning extra-large.

18a  Restrict dangerous driver – he’s often flat out on the road (8)
{HEDGEHOG} – a verb meaning to surround or restrict is followed by the animal that we associate with a dangerous road-user to make a different animal, one that is often a victim of crossing the road without due care and attention.

19a  Such a railway may make a fair profit (6)
{SCENIC} – this type of railway is a roller-coaster which may be popular at a fairground and so make a lot of money for its owners.

21a  Musical figure (8)
{TRIANGLE} – cryptic definition of a very basic musical instrument (the only one that I was deemed good enough to play at school).

23a  Apply preservatives, a typical measure cooking lamb (6)
{EMBALM} – the definition is apply preservatives, in a funeral parlour perhaps. It’s a charade of a typical measure (i.e. a measure of type) followed by an anagram (cooking) of LAMB.

26a  Public minister about to return? Quite the opposite (5)
{OVERT} – this adjective meaning public is not an abbreviated church minister around TO all reversed (about) but the opposite, i.e. TO around said minister all reversed.

27a  Bill holds city seat (9)
{POSTERIOR} – put some advertising material (bill) around a South American city to make a seat.

28a  Residential form of transport (6,5)
{DIESEL TRAIN} – an anagram (form) of RESIDENTIAL makes a type of public transport.

Down Clues

1d  A gentle run to follow, but take wrong turning (7)
{DOGTROT} – this gentle run is a verb to follow or trail followed by a wrongful act reversed (turning).

2d  Not in a whisper — permitted to be heard (5)
{ALOUD} – this is an adverb meaning audibly (not in a whisper). It also sounds like (to be heard) a past participle meaning permitted.

3d  Manufacture of vital cure brings in profits (9)
{LUCRATIVE} – an anagram (manufacture) of VITAL CURE produces an adjective meaning profitable.

4d  Put up gun catches (4)
{NETS} – reverse (put up, in a down clue) the name of a lightweight submachine-gun.

5d  Articulate business man getting money from tenants (8)
{COHERENT} – the definition is articulate. It’s a charade of the abbreviation for a firm or business, a masculine pronoun (man) and money paid by tenants.

6d  Scores from snick (5)
{NICKS} – an anagram (from) of SNICK gives us a verb meaning makes a score or a notch.

7d  Needs to set points out (7)
{DENOTES} – there is a nice bit of misdirection here. “Points out” might have meant remove the cardinal points; in fact it (i.e. points out or indicates) is the definition and it’s a simple anagram (set) of NEEDS TO.

8d  Humiliating return from a summit meeting? (8)
{COMEDOWN} – this humiliation or degradation is cryptically how you may return (4,4) from a high-level meeting.

14d  Veteran convict? (3-5)
{OLD-TIMER} – cryptic definition of someone who’s been in jail a long time.

16d  Posh doctor living in modern flat (9)
{RECUMBENT} – the definition is flat or horizontal. Put the letter standing for posh or upper-class followed by one of the many abbreviations for doctor inside (living in) an adjective meaning modern or up-to-date.

17d  Part of a mountain to slip and fall (8)
{COLLAPSE} – the definition is fall and it’s a charade of a mountain pass and a verb to slip.

18d  No food for cool cats! (3,4)
{HOT DOGS} – cryptic definition of food that’s not appropriate for cool cats.

20d  Government head involved in romance (7)
{CAMERON} – the current head of government is an anagram (involved) of ROMANCE.

22d  Celebrated reply to unlucky Edward’s proposal (5)
{NOTED} – an adjective meaning celebrated is cryptically how a potential partner might reject Edward’s proposal (2,3).

24d  Tina set up with a new name (5)
{ANITA} – reverse (set up, in a down clue) TINA and add A to form another female name.

25d  Piece of land one’s given to the French (4)
{ISLE} – start with I’S (one’s) and add a French definite article.

The clues I liked today included 12a, 19a, 23a and 16d. Let us know what you liked in a comment.

The Quickie pun is {SHORTEN} + {SUITE} = {SHORT AND SWEET}

1. Upthecreek
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

A really good puzzle with many different and interesting clues. Not too difficult as usual on Monday Favourite was 20 which I think I have seen before but still made me laugh. Other goodies were 1a 9 18a and 28. Thanks to setter.

• mary
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Morning UTC, well done if you found that an easy one :)

• Upthecreek
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Morning Mary. Why the hangdog look? Tip – always put ‘one’ in before ‘you’. They never seem to use ‘you’ in crosswordland.

• mary
          Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that! anyway how’d you know its me, there are other Marys! :)
          see below, Sues comment

• Upthecreek
            Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

There’s only one Mary!! Prefferred the other pic with the naughty wink!

2. Upthecreek
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I forgot to say thanks for picture in 24!

3. mary
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Good morning Gazza, have been working on this for a while and still not got over halfway! as you say one at the more difficult end for Rufus, is it me or have Monday puzzles been getting more difficult recently? Didn’t help myself by putting ‘you’ for third word in 1a! Poor 18a :( would never have finished it without you today so thanks for all the help, a definite 3* maybe 4 for me today, wuld never have got out of CC with this :)

4. Nubian
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

A tad more difficult than a normal Monday I found but nontheless enjoyable. 18a and 28a my favs.
    Thanks to Gazza and Rufus. Great day for a bike ride here in Newcastle, nice and sunny

• mary
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Here too Nubian, enjoy your ride

5. Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I certainly struggled a bit here – I often do with Rufus. Favourite was 18a for me followed by 7d which was my last in.
    Thanks to gazza and to Rufus for the puzzle.

Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I am glad that I wasn’t the only one that thought this was a harder than usual Rufus puzzle. Lots of good clues so thank you to him and Gazza too.

• Nick
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Ditto. Word for word.

7. boltonbabs
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I also put in you for 1a, and merrily slapped in mobile homes for 28a, which held me up a bit. Very enjoyable, just enough bite to make it feel worthwhile

• Franco
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Like the “Mobile Homes” solution for 28a! :smile:

Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I like that answer too.

8. toadson
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Had the first three quarters of this done fairly quickly, then came across the bottom-right corner! Unfortunately put ‘Tania’ in for 24d which left me needing to look at the hints. Mary, when did you become a beagle??

Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I expect that as the DIY COW site appears to have seized up altogether she thinks she is safe to reveal her alter ego on that site, which has the same lovely beagle avatar!

• mary
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

spot on Sue, with a little help from Dave :)

• mary
          Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

But I am a Bassett not a Beagle :)

• toadson
            Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I stand corrected .. have never looked at DIY COW (until now, just out of interest).

• mary
              Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Its good fun toadson and helps in understanding how cryptic clues work too

• Franco
            Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Wot! Not a Spanett?

• mary
              Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

That’s only half a Bassett, Franco, well remembered :)

9. Skempie
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Good puzzle. As stated, I found it a tad harder than the normally Monday fare, but not over taxing. Hopefully an indication of a good week of puzzles ahead. Loved 27a and 5d, both very clever.

10. Prolixic
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Sorry to buck the trend – not for enjoyment but for difficulty. I thought that this was a gentler Rufus than the last couple of his crosswords. All good fun with 18a being my favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus for the crossword and to Gazza for the review.

11. Rednaxela
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

The top half went in ok for me; it was the bottom half that had me scratching my head for some of the answers – so I found this waw slightly more difficult for a Monday puzzle than normal. Still very enjoyable and some good clues 12a and 18a and 18d are three examples. Thanks to setter and Gazza for the review

Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

A few to think about for me today. It helps to be able to spell 23a correctly (I had n for the second letter – in my lame defence I believe ‘en’ is also a measure of type).
    Thanks to Rufus and to gazza.

13. BigBoab
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Rufus and to Gazza for the usual gentle work out to start the week, personal favourite was 16d.

14. Digby
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

18 (amusing), 28 (clever), 5 (smooth) and 16 (nicely misleading) were my picks. Agree with the majority (sorry Prolixic) that this was slightly harder than the average Rufus, but very enjoyable. Thanks to him and Le Gazza.

15. Franco
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I thought that today’s Rufus puzzle was definitely worth at least 4* for entertainment. There were so many clever clues!

I didn’t find it more difficult than the usual Monday – I only needed assistance for 27a.

I had to laugh aloud when I solved 18a! And also a few chuckles for 1a and 27a!

Thanks to Gazza for the review! What is the latest score for the number of clues that Rufus has set?

• Addicted
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Agreed Franco – I loved 18a and would never have got 27a without the hints – not if I’d scratched my head (or even my 27a!) all night!

16. Franny
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

What with the presence of a teething baby and trying to pack for the antipodes tomorrow, I could hardly do this at all. In fact the last few days have been dead losses — my mind must be elsewhere. However I managed to finish today’s by using the hints. So thanks to Gazza for those, and to Rufus for the challenge.

I’ll try to find you all again and to keep in touch from Sydney, otherwise it’s au revoir for a month. :-)

• mary
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Have a great time Franny, hope to ‘see’ you soon :)

17. AlisonS
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle today – definitely required more thought in the bottom half. Poor 18a! But have to admit it’s a good clue. Thanks Rufus and Gazza.

18. Derek
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

The usual pleasant start to the week from Rufus.
    10a, 12a, 23a, 27a, 28a, 8d, 16d, 17d, 18d & 20d were good clues.

19. Geoff
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Hard one, needed lots of hints! Only managed ten on my own, depressing …

Thanks for review. Love the look Mary, lived with a Bassett in my teens and early twenties, fabulous dog with so much character!

• mary
      Posted March 29, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Cheers Geoff, my dogs are half Bassett (mother) and half cocker spaniel (father) thus ‘Spanetts’ – I love both breeds so what better (they were a kennel mistake)

20. Wayne
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Has the after 8 club been kicked into touch????

• Franco
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

BST ?

• Wayne
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Still after 2000hrs.

• Ainsley
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Wayne. After Eighters still alive and kicking! Still struggling with this one today. An hour in and only have 12 in. Waiting for inspiration!

• Wayne
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Keep going Ainsley, sure you’ll get there in the end. Weather been to nice recently to get involved with crosswords early, so have left them ’till later which has turned out to be a successful ploy.

21. Mr Tub
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

I also found this one a bit harder than usual, but it was so enjoyable that I was actually quite glad it took all day! 12a was my favourite.
    Thanks to Gazza for the hints (especially 1d, a new word for me) and at least an OBE for the setter.
    Have you had your hair done Mary? You look different.

22. pommers
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Brill xword! Thanks Rufus! You’re still pommette’s favourite!
    Solved over the usual Monday evening pre-prandial glass of wine in the local.
    Did fairly crap at the bridge today as I played cards like a novice who was lacking in practice!
    As for the xword, no particular favourites, but 18d made me laugh out loud as I saw it instantly – very clever!
    Thanks for the tips Gazza (unused today) but entertaining as always!

• pommers
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

P.S/ Thought 18a a bit sad!

• pommette
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Good xword – Like the pommers I thought 18d sad.
      I’ve rescued and restored to health many of these that weren’t squashed. Mistook a 5 week old kitten curled up in the middle of the road for one (being a softy I got out to move said 18d to somewhere safe in a hedge to discover it was a tabby, cold, VERY wet and dying with cat flu) and she ended coming home to live with us. She is now 7 yrs old,fighting fit and living with our friends in the UK. She scares their bull mastiff to death!
      Thanks Rufus for a great xword and to Gazza for standing in.

• pommette
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

OOPS – of course I meant 18a beinbg sad …. late and too many glasses of vino

Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Very late today – definitely an ‘after eighter’! Spent most of the day cleaning our patio with the pressure cleaner. Please could someone tell me why most of the garden equipment/machinery is designed to be used by 6ft, 14st men? Enough ..
    Enjoyed the crossword today (done in dribs and drabs – see above) and agree with others who found it a bit more difficult than usual for a Monday. Did quite well over the first, second, third etc cups of coffee and then came to a complete halt in the bottom right hand corner – eventually all became clear and I managed to finish it without the hints, apart from the explanation for 13a.
    Absolutely loved 18a but felt a bit sorry for him!
    Other clues that I enjoyed today include 9 (yes, Franco and UTC, I got it) and 12a and 5, 8 and 18d. 20d took me for ever – was trying to fit a’G’ into it somehow – not a difficult clue though – just me not concentrating.
    Thanks to Rufus and Gazza.

• pommette
      Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Pommers totally agrees with you about machinery. He’s only 5’c8″ and just over 10 stone and his nemesis was our lawn mower. Why do you think we have a courtyard in Spain and no garden?

• pommers
        Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Hey pommette – last time you were asked you described me as ‘built like a racing snake’ – short, thin but strong!

• Qix
          Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:10 am | Permalink

A little too much information, perhaps?

:mrgreen: