DT 26331 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26331 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Thursday, 2nd September.

1a    Factory dance class (8)
A charade of a factory (5) and a high-school dance (3) lead to a group of people working on a creative or experimental project

An excuse (did I need one?) to post one of my favourite rock’n’roll tracks!

10a    Central part of two presents where one might be isolated (6,2,7)
If you split this as (6,2,3,4) it could be the central part of present time and present place, but it actually means a place far away from any towns and cities

25a    Film Caledonian banker (7)
A film is a charade of a member of an ancient people inhabiting northern Scotland in Roman times and a river

29a    Surreptitious coming from stately home initially (8)
A word meaning surreptitious is an anagram (coming from) of STATELY and H (Home initially)

1d    Animal found warm sheltering environment at last (6)
This Australian burrowing marsupial is a charade of a warm sheltering environment followed by AT

3d    Less than half the smelling-salts burst (5)
Less than half of another name for smelling-salts gives a burst of gunfire

16d    Removed fault fast when windy (9)
An anagram (removed) of FAULT is followed by a time to fast, resulting in the release of wind from the alimentary canal

22d    Language found in my side of Liverpool? (6)
Put the Irish Gaelic language inside MY – if you then add SIDE you get a part of Liverpool

26d    Developing a crop of dried fruit (5)
An anagram (developing) of A CROP gives the dried kernel of the coconut

The Saturday Crossword Club will open at 10.00 am (after Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2). Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions before that time.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. Prolixic
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 6:57 am | Permalink

An enjoyable crossword from Cephas. 16d was my favourite. Thanks to setter and to BD for the hints.

2. Chris Price
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Thought 26d was Prune – you prune to develop plant growth – until got 29a

3. Spindrift
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Favorite clues – 16d,18d & 25a. Bring on the NTSPP!

4. Franny
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Just back from holiday and completely off the wavelength yesterday, but I did manage to finish this with a bit of electronic help. 10a took me a long time to find and I don’t really understand how it fits the clue — ‘presents’? 16d was my favourite, though I also liked 1 and 23a. Now to catch up … :-)

• Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Have you read the hint? I’ve explained that.

• Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I’ve enjoyed this puzzle too and saw 10a straight away but your hint is very good, Big Dave, and it’s actually a very clever clue isn’t it?

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I think so too

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I think it is my favourite clue today along with 14d

• Franny
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Silly me, I was so taken with the ****** and the pétomane that I didn’t see. But thanks :-)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink

welcome home Franny, hope you had a great time, I’m finding this a bit tough, about 3/4 way through and have had to use Daves help already, thanks Dave, is it me or is it tougher today than normal Saturdays? so far favourite clue is 10a

• Gerry
      Posted August 29, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I think ‘presents’ refers to the ‘****’ and ‘***’.

• Posted August 29, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Gerry, but please read the last line of the post!

• gerry hinde
          Posted August 31, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

What a klutz I am. Will try and behave in future.

• GoldenDuck
      Posted August 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I agree! 16d and 23a were my favourites! Especially the “ferryman” clue!

5. Barrie
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle but stuck on the last 3 esp 7d (may have got 5a wrong, my take on it is that mini-greenhouse that sounds French). Also got answers to 11a (as in ‘amazing or striking) and 13a (as in to displace someone) but can’t see how either fits the clue.

• Prolixic
      Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:32 am | Permalink

7d is a station (railway) from a word meaning gang and a final E (for east)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Hi Barrie, think you have 5a correct, 7d you need another word for ‘Gang’ on East to give you a station as far as I can see, 11a sounds correct but I can’t quite figure it out myself as to why the same with 13a, well done to finish it, I am still stuck on 4 clues!! I think fairly tough for CCers today

• Prolixic
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Mary 11a is built up from a word meaning reverential fear followed by a word meaning not all

13a is an a, a letter from the Greek alphabet and the first lady from the book of Genesis to give a word meaning perform successfully.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

thanks Prolixic, I think you mean 12a? not 13a and yes I see 11a now, thank you :)

• Barrie
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, thanks for that but I must be being thick, I can’t think of a 5 letter word for a station starting with *. I have *-*-*, is that right?

• Barrie
          Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Ah I see it, the sort of gang which mans a ship!! Sorry not my idea of a gang at all, had to use a thesaurus to get the alternative word.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

you got it Barrie, really doesn’t matter that you had to use a thesaurus, I do all the time :)

• Barrie
              Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Cheers, enjoy the sun! :-)

• Collywobbles
            Posted August 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

That’s a Gnomethang

• Peter
          Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I had to change there yesterday

6. mary
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:39 am | Permalink

OK cry for help – first word of 17d, second word of 6d and second part of 9d am I being slow here? maybe I should cogitate and perservate a bit longer but it is sunny outside and I’d like to get out there before it disappears :) Please?

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

got 6d, of course it is!!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

think I have 17d but why is that an excrescence?? because you can’t eat it??

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink

OK I have perservated and cogitated and come up with three answers, personally I don’t see why 9d is what I have but can think of nothing else, so I will just run through it once more then I’m out to the garden to finish my book, praying that no one is going come visit today :) Thanks for hints Dave I really needed some of them today

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

I see 9d now, didn’t know that 3 letter word was a song!!!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

don’t they say one of the first signs of madness is talking to yourself :)

• Prolixic
                Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

And the second is admitting it;)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thnaks, you in charge today Prolixic??

• Prolixic
                    Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

No – just redeeming time whilst in a queue to get son and friend into Thorpe Park

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink

enjoy :)

• Collywobbles
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

That’s a Gnomethang!

• gnomethang
          Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Heh!
          I did the same emailing Sue on 5a!!

7. mary
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Good luck fellow CCers, pretty tough today I thought :)

8. Nubian
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

What a breath of fresh air that was after yesterday, I think I can skip classes in the CC today and get back outside in the sun.
    Can 4d be used to measure 16d ?, just a thought. Fav was 16d.
    Thanks to Dave and Cephas

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

That’s a very clever thought Nubian, just for that you can have a day out of CC today, you lucky thing :)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Going to slip out unoticed, the sun is calling me!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

A very nice Saturday puzzle to suit this lovely sunny, yes sunny, day. A fairly quick solve with a nice mix of clues. Only worrying thing is how BD and I are going to find a “picture for Gazza” for the review from these clues as I am sure he is neither a 1d or 16d, the latter being one of my clues of the day.

• Prolixic
      Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

How’s about some suitably unattired ladies on a boat for 7d – that should keep him happy!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I’ve only just noticed BD’s picture in yesterday’s Toughie review – very nice! I’m sure that you could find a suitable 11a 18d.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I am sure between the two of us we can find something suitable. I am slightly worried about this tendency to associate you with pictures of the scantily clad but I am sure the other gentlemen of the blog appreciate it!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Its a man thing Sue, we ladies rise above it :oops: not sure that sounds right!!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I know what you mean. I keep hoping for a puzzle to review that I can suggest a pic of some scantily clad young man…!

• Lea
              Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

That would be lovely Sue – here’s hoping. Since most of the setters are men then it is doubtful don’t you think?

Posted August 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Ladies, fret not, i came up with a cunning plan while slicing the East Kent runner bean mountain.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Intriguing???????????

• Lea
                  Posted August 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait

• Prolixic
              Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

You did have a nod in Toughie 405!

10. Sheepdog
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Think I’ve got 4d – but what is it, not in my dictionary

Also stuck on 6d

Put letters to answer for wrong clue in 18d – now utterly confused myself

• Prolixic
      Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

6d describes the evangelical wing of a body of believers.

4d measures mileage in a vehicle

18d The answer is another word for a picture from a type of biscuit and what something would be if it were burning

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

For 4d see Nubians witty remark above

• Sheepdog
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Thanks – sorted – I can concertate on Trott and Broad now

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I like “concertate” – presumably that is to focus one’s attention on a musical performance?

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Another new word for us :)

• Sheepdog
              Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I’ll have forgetten that I coined by the time it appears in the crossword!

• Sheepdog
                Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Good grief ‘forgetten’ too

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Permalink

who? what?

• Sheepdog
            Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Trott and Broad – look ay front page of sports section!

• Sheepdog
              Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Done it again ‘ay’ this time – I need typing lessons

Record 8th wicket partnership in all Test cricket by aforementioned Trott and Broad

Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Oh thanks Sheepdog, cricket is one of the few sports I don’t follow :)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

anagram of do and remote indicated by ‘wrong’

• Sheepdog
          Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Yeah, I got the anagram indicator- and had head the word, but did not know what it measured

11. Rod Ash
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Had to wait until mid-morning for paper delivery this week as in Ibiza. Like others, I thought 16d and 18d were the best clues but also appreciated 7d as a railways enthusiast.

12. carty
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Is 1a not a double definition, or have I just got the wrong answer? (More likely)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Yes I suppose it could be carty, factory is a ******** and a dance class could also be a dance ********

Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

you probably have it right, its a five letter word for factory followed by a 3 letter word for dance as in ‘highschool ***’ giving you a word for class

• carty
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Obviously i ws never popular enough to be invited to a ***

13. Lea
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

That was an excellent Saturday puzzle and nice and quickly solved. Enjoyed the comments (and the hints as well BD although I didn’t need them).

Thanks to Cephas and BD.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Lea, lucky you today, I needed quite a lot of the hints :)

• Lea
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Must have been on the right wave length for a change. Helped getting the two phrases fairly early on. My favourite clue was 12a – liked the construction of it.

Sun is shining but I finished my book this morning before starting the puzzle so now have to do some housework – yuck.

14. gnomethang
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to our Saturday Setter for the puzzle and thanks to Crypticsue for the gnomethang’s law moment on 5a!.
    Most enjoyable and a bit trickier than sone Saturdays for me.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Glad I’m not the only one that thought that gnomey :)

15. Patsyann
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Where are you all enjoying the sun? It’s horrible here on the Wirral! Too wet to go out and post my completed cryptic!

Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Its our first proper sun in East Kent for days. Rain gauge had nearly 2″ in it when I emptied it after this week’s rain.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

First sun here in West Wales for weeks! Its not going to last though, showers forecast for a change!

16. abw
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Well today I’ve learnt was a 5a is, what a 17d is, what 26d is, and another name for smelling salts. It’s always nice when you can work out what a word must be from the clue, and then call on Wikipedia to confirm your suspicions.

27a had me puzzled for a while. I could see what the answer was from the journalistic reference, but it took a while for the light to go on as to why it also straightened things out. Once I had got that ironed out I was much happier. 9d down was the last to go in… the first two letters were obvious, and I only needed the 3rd and 5th to make the 3-letter song (which was another new word for me). Got there in the end… but phew! What a lot of hard work for such a small word!

All in all, a most enjoyable crossword.

17. Caro
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Suffering from a bad cold and feel rotten! My brain obviously does too! Struggling today….even with all your excellent comments and hints!!! 1ac and 18 d might help me get going again. Any more clues? Please :)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Caro, sorry you feel so rotten, 1ac another 5 letter word for factory followed by a 3 letter word for dance, as in local ***. or school ***, together they give you a word meaning class
      18d is a word for biscuits 5 letters as in ginger ***** ,followed by the temp of something if it is burning, together give you a word for picture or photograph
      Hope that helps :)

Posted August 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

that should read picture or photograph sorry

18. Caro
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary! Hope to finish it soon :)

19. Peter
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

We finished but did not enjoy it much

5a and 13a look like general knowledge clues to me.

3d is too tenuous for me. 9d is just obscure.

17d is the best

20. nalced
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Am totally perplexed by 13a,23a,and 9d! Have been for hours. Gone away and come back several times but no inspiration. Interupted by cricket, rugby league and rugby union from SA.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

23a Contract could put ferryman out of business (7)
      It’s a word meaning to contract or shorten. If you split it as 1,6 it’s something that may make a ferry redundant.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

13a Entered office uninvited (7)
      It’s a sort of cryptic definition of a verb meaning took over someone’s job without their agreement (often by force).

Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

9d Insert fashionable song (5)
      The definition is insert (as a noun). It’s a charade of a 2-letter word meaning fashionable and a word for a song or narrative poem (Google Macaulay and “ancient Rome” if you’re still stuck).

• nalced
        Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Gazza. At times the obvious doesn’t appear
        so!!!

• Posted August 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog nalced

21. Gari
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Didn’t do too bad today, had to read through the blog to get 9d and only understood it after reading Gazza’s explanation on Google.

thanks for the video BD very funny

22. Geoff
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

After early birthday celebrations with the kiddies, I’ve just read it through; filled in a few, suspect a few more and had a good chuckle at 21d. Might get it done, might not, we’ll see.

Posted August 28, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

good luck Geoff I thought it was a little tougher than the last few Sat puzzles, hope your celebrations went well :)

23. Geoff
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Finished it over breakfast. Some very straightforward and some not; some slightly odd, 13a! Good day yesterday, Mary, except for son #1, who spent 3.5 hours on the joyous M25 … Will look at today’s puzzle after church.

24. gazza
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:02 am | Permalink

If you’re only going to do one puzzle this week then let it be today’s (Sunday’s) which has a whole host of brilliant clues.

Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:16 am | Permalink

have had a quick look at it and so far can do none!

Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Mary, it’s not the easiest but it’s really worth persevering with for all the “aha” moments.

Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

ok Gazza, will perservate, have now done 3!

Posted August 29, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

2551, am finding it tough, still only done half!! have had a break from it and will start again :)

Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

giving up have to wait for hints

• Peter
              Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Are you still waiting?

Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

still waiting Peter, you?

• Lea
                  Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Did you get 16d Mary?

• Peter
                    Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I finished. Tell us after caravan hunting if you still need hints.

• Lea
              Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Not an easy one today – I have all but one – just can’t think of 16d. Everything else was hard work but got them. Needed lots of aids today Mary so I am back in CC.

Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Can’t help you with that one Lea sorry, still need lots of help myself!

• Lea
                  Posted August 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks – crossed notes

Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I have 16d now Lea, it is a latin phrase meaning beneath ones dignity

• Lea
                      Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary – got it too

Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

you need a two letter word meaning during, followed by 5 letter word for fight without the first and last letters, followed by a three letter word for snide remark or having a go at somebody

25. nutty
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Dave,apologies for this question,it may be because its Sunday morning,but can you please explain what you mean by ” a charade “. Thanks sorry for being a bit dim !!!!
    Chris

Posted August 29, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Hi Nutty – welcome to the blog.
      Charades are explained in Dave’s little Crossword Guide – see here

26. weekend wanda
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

enjoyable and I have particularly enjoyed reading all the comments after I finished. I have to say that Big Dave’s clue for 1a would have confused me had I read it first as it would have led me to a “prom”. Actually I think that is a clever clue. I also like 10a although it is unusual to see a word in the clue and the answer I think. I was slow on 7d and 22d. I don’t agree that some of the clues are general knowledge rather than cryptic, but I think you have to work out the cryptic once you have got the answer! Did not like 9d. First part easy, but I don’t think song is a good description for the second part. 19a good but fooled me at first because I am more used to another contraction for a type of a “way”.

• Posted August 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Point taken – I’ve made a small change to the hint and added a YouTube track.

27. Nubian
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Sunday is a real challenge. I can’t wait for the blog as I am away to a christening then a family reunion with kin from Canada. It’s going to be a long day.

Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I am struggling here today Nubian, have most of left side till to do!!

• Lea
      Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Nubian

I persevated and got there in the end. As you will by above the last one I got was 16d.

Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

If I had read 19d properly, I would have finished this hours and hours ago. As it was I struggled with 18a and 22a until my husband said ‘are you sure the other letters are right?’ Very enjoyable apart from my inability to read!

28. mary
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave, just asking….. should we be putting all these comments on todays puzzle on yesterdays page, as we are, or on the comments page or is there a way of creating a new page for them for today……just asking? :)

• Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Neither – the Sunday page will be ready soon!

Posted August 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

give up! going caravan hunting got 6 left to do back later :)

29. Posted August 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I’ve just returned to see if there was any activity and, to my surprise, I’ve found a YouTube video clip of Danny & The Juniors. I know that, as the years advance, I can become forgetful, Big Dave, but was that clip there yesterday? If it was, I’m in trouble,,,

• Posted August 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

No- it went up when someone said they thought my hint lead to “prom” !