MPP – 063

Monthly Prize Puzzle (August 2017)

Quinquennia by Phibs

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (19th August 2017).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

Please read the instructions carefully.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then do not provide any help for other solvers or mention any detail about the puzzle, especially references to individual clues, until after the closing date.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 9:48 am | Permalink | Reply

The other half had a serious objection to the surface reading of the clue for 9a when I read it out to her. Can’t possibly work out why that would be.
    It all went together smoothly for me and when I had a completed grid I still had no idea what the question was about. A bit more thought and the penny dropped.
    Good fun and at a difficulty level that should encourage lots of people to put in an entry this month.
    Thanks Phibs

2. Orphan Annie
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:50 am | Permalink | Reply

:cry: : cry: looking at this I suddenly realised that even if by some miracle I managed to complete it there is no way I could find solution. See you in the cupboard under the stairs bring your own tissues.

• jane
      Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Dry your eyes, Annie, have a go at the puzzle and worry about the question afterwards. That’s what I’m going to do – Phibs’ last puzzle was good.
      If it all goes pear-shaped for us both, I’ll meet you in the cupboard later with tissues and alcohol.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

The puzzle is complete and it was smooth enough to be sure, but I found it a bit flat. I have no idea what should be entered in the box, though.

4. Dutch
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 1:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very nice Phibs,

After an initial “but there’s no clue 40”, things soon became clear.

Many thanks

5. jane
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very clever, Phibs. I confess to checking on your accuracy but, of course, you were absolutely correct!

Posted August 5, 2017 at 3:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Finished although I have a couple of answers that I don’t quite understand.
    I’ll have to do a bit of ho-humming about the question.
    I’m not surprised that KiwiCarol was less than keen on the surface reading of 9a.
    Thanks Phibs.

7. Orphan Annie
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

After some very welcome encouragement – sincere thanks I think I have got there. Not quite a first but took risk and submitted an answer, roll on closing day to see what an idiot I have made of myself. :phew:

• jane
      Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well done, Annie. Meet you in the cupboard for a celebration drink sans tissues!

Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks, Phibs, for an entertaining puzzle and clever question. While solving, I’ve learned a couple of things from my BRB, particularly one seemingly bizarre abbreviation. I also have one answer for which I can only guess at the parsing and one where the definition doesn’t seem to make sense. More about those after the review is published.

9. Rahmat Ali
    Posted August 6, 2017 at 7:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

It was real fun all throughout. Tonnes of thanks to Phibs for the entertainment. The answer has been sent. No doubt this month will see a huge number of entries.

10. Ora Meringue
    Posted August 7, 2017 at 4:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

What a great puzzle!

Thanks to Phibs.

11. Sheffieldsy
    Posted August 7, 2017 at 11:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice puzzle and, with so few black squares, a good value for money grid. We took longer over the question than any clue, but a great penny-drop moment when we saw what it was and why.

Many thanks to Phibs