DT 28498 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28498 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

During the week I introduced a “like” facility for comments.  It met with a mixed response, but the reason I have removed it is because I hadn’t realised that it required the user to be logged on to WordPress.

Some hints follow.

1a    Clear article to appear before ruler’s passing (10)
An adjective meaning clear followed by the indefinite article and a ruler

6a    Cut flower makes one pleased (4)
Cut this flower into two parts and just use the first The abbreviation (cut) for a well-known flower

11a    Doggedly obstruct rural division (9)
Split as (5,4) this divides, for example, a field from a country lane

19a    Order silk in error that’s monumental (7)
An honour (order) followed by an anagram (in error) of SILK

24a    Things made for pipes (8)
A prefix meaning “for” followed by some pipes

28a    Additional payment from sailor transporting Poles? (5)
Start with the foreman of a naval crew (sailor) and “transport”, or should that be “transpose” the letters representing the two poles

29a    Country singer famous for reggae broadcast (4)
Sounds like (broadcast) a famous reggae singer

30a    After trains breaking down, man is caustic (10)
An anagram (breaking down) of TRAINS followed by a man

1d    Free love with writer (4)
The letter that represents a score of love in tennis followed by a writing implement

2d    Let off former partner with single charge (9)
The usual former partner is followed by the number that represents a single and a charge or fee

5d    Food that’s northern? Loads! (7)
N(orthern) followed by a colloquial word for loads or lots

14d    Place to find form (10)
… these forms are those on which children used to sit during classes, but the term has come to mean the class itself

16d    Extremely poor local in the street (8)
A local or pub inside THE ST(reet)

21d    Terribly posh for a consumer (7)
An anagram (terribly) of POSH followed by the word that means “for a”

25d    Mostly civilised, like London or Manchester? (5)
Most of an adjective meaning civilised

26d    Regularly pose with good person — this might attract attention (4)
The odd letters (regularly) of P[o]S[e] followed by our usual good person

The Crossword Club is now open.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

The Quick Crossword pun: fought+knocks=Fort Knox

1. Cryptor
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 10:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Fairly straightforward but nonetheless enjoyable. 29a caused a run through the alphabet for possible answers whilst walking the dog. Penny finally dropped and so it became favourite. Thanks BD.

2. Senf
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 10:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable with assistance from some oldies but goodies such as 22a and 5d.

Joint favourites – 29a and 5d – equally brilliant.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:07 am | Permalink | Reply

1*/3*. Straightforward but good fun! 29a was my favourite.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

4. Martin
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:11 am | Permalink | Reply

A fairly straight forward offering for a Saturday. Last one in was 21a from checking letters, but can anyone explain the clue as I didn’t understand all the wordplay. Favourite was 15a

• Gazza
      Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:39 am | Permalink | Reply

There was a typo in your email address forcing your comment into moderation.

21a Drink calms her between shows (7)

‘Shows’ is a ‘hidden’ indicator.

• Aljanon
        Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like Martin, I couldn’t understand why I’d got the answer I put in but then, after re-reading the clue a couple of times, the penny dropped. I’m pleased that the puzzle was fairly easy this morning because of the distraction of the athletics and I’ve also got the TMS cricket commentary on at the same time. And they say that men can’t multi-task…

Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

So sorry that I seem to have infected others with the dreaded inability to spot lurkers.

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted August 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

I was the same, excellent lurker

5. Angellov
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:21 am | Permalink | Reply

West took a bit more application than the East but altogether a fun ride. Saturdays are so much more entertaining these days. Fav certainly not 29a (never heard of said singer) as per two previous Comments but possibly 20d for my part. Thank you Mysteron and BD. Not sorry to see ‘Like’ buttons go.

6. Young Salopian
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:30 am | Permalink | Reply

Haven’t seen 5d for at least a fortnight, or so it seems. 29a my COTD in this very straightforward but enjoyable romp through crosswordland. 1.5*/3* overall with many thanks to the Saturday setter and BD.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 11:48 am | Permalink | Reply

I agree this one was fairly straightforward but good fun for a Saturday morning – torrential rain, thunder and hail.
    I missed the 21a lurker but found the other one without a huge amount of trouble.
    Had to check 7d in the BRB as I’m not sure I’ve seen it spelt this way before.
    Sorting out why my 18d was right took too long as I couldn’t find the TV.
    I liked 6 and 28a and 5d, even though it’s a regular, and 25d.
    Thanks to whoever set today’s crossword and to BD.
    Still raining – MPP then NTSPP, I think.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

I couldn’t find the TV either, until I read your comment and revisited it!

8. jane
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

For no good reason, it took me a while to get 24a which in turn held me up over the trio at 25d, 28a & 26d.
    No other problems to report – 11a & 26d sharing the honours.

Thanks to Mr. Saturday Ron and to BD – both for the Saturday club and for getting rid of the ‘Like’ stars.

9. BLackbaron
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 12:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Really nice, thoroughly enjoyed it, especially after my abject failure yesterday with the Don’s offering. Favourite 25d, a **/**** for me with thanks to Mysteron and BD.

10. PLR
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 1:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too found this straightforward. 18d was my favourite clue and like Kath I took a while to work out how the television came into it.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 1:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I didn’t find this at all easy and as always on a Saturday the only clue whose answer I don’t understand 21a is not hinted!
    There are some excellent clues but my fav was 26d😁
    Thx to all

Posted August 5, 2017 at 1:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Gazza’s hinted 21a – see comment 4 above

Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just popping in to thank Mister Ron for today’s puzzle – for some reason I didn’t find it quite as straightforward as some of the earlier comments appear to have done.

My other reason for commenting is to suggest everyone has a go at today’s splendid NTSPP.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK – thank you for the NTSPP recommendation – weather has made anything outside impossible again for the third time today.

• jane
      Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll second that, CS. One of our young setters whose star is definitely in the ascendance.

13. Attila the Hun
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Having read the hint for 29a I am now enjoying the relief of no longer banging my head against the wall to understand my answer. Ditto to 28a. A few slaps around the cheeks and I’ll be as right as rain. I was confident enough to submit it, but I do like to understand the relationship between clue and answer.

Duh!

14. Orphan Annie
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 2:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Had to resort to BRB for a few today but nevertheless a delightful way to spend Saturday afternoon. Our poor gardener is here and it’s raining, he and his gorgeous black Labrador are sheltering in the van. I am going to have a go at NTSPP then I will return to MPP., determined to get there one day.

15. Badger
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 3:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Struggled a bit today, but the weather gave me more time. Like Attila I didn’t like 28 & 29a – could not be anything else. 17a gave me a headache- mixing it up with ‘age’….
    I did however get the two ‘hidden’ clues -always a pleasure.
    Was anyone else misled by ‘large property’ in 15a -until the penny dropped…
    Many thanks to BD and the setter.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another good ‘un from the Saturday setter, needing a little more thought today but most enjoyable.
      Liked 11a and 18d, but fave was 29a … I prefer “One Love”, my fave song of his.
      Thanks to setter and to BD.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

This was not meant to be a reply to Badger, sorry about that! The mystery of modern technology. I know it must be my fault, GIGO, but I have no idea what I did.

• Badger
          Posted August 8, 2017 at 8:56 am | Permalink | Reply

I don’t mind -it’s good to have an admirer ….

16. Jen
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very grateful to Kath for her lurker clue but the t v still eludes me, I am so delighted that the likes have disappeared. It was like youngsters speak like I saw it like when I was there like but I am glad like it is no longer there!

Posted August 5, 2017 at 6:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pay attention to “promoted”, meaning sent up, and look again at the answer.

17. PLR
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too found this straightforward. 18d was my favourite clue and like Kath it took me a while to work out how the television came into it.

18. PLR
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Posted August 5, 2017 at 5:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Was really slow in the SW.
    For a change I wasn’t keen on the homophone in 29a.
    Loved the things made for pipes in 24a.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the club.

• jane
      Posted August 5, 2017 at 6:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi JL,
      Have just listened to the homophone as pronounced in French – I think that if you Google the English equivalent you may accept it more readily.

• Gazza
        Posted August 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

… or you may still think that the supposed homophone doesn’t work at all.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 6:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Actually, it does work if you pronounce it with a Jamaican accent.

• Ora Meringue
            Posted August 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Certainly does not work with a Scottish one……but then they rarely do….

20. Gwizz
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 6:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I didn’t find this quite such a walk in the park as many have suggested; I eventually got going from the bottom of the grid. 24a was my fave. 2/3* overall.
    Thanks to the Saturday setter and of course to BD for the hints.

21. Florence
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 8:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

I managed to sneak away from the family after watching Bolt run his semi-final, and find a peaceful corner of the house to sit down and attack today’s puzzle. I only had a couple of slight problems of my own making. One was putting 27a in the wrong way round. No idea why. The other problem was working out 26d early on, but not putting it in as I didn’t really think it was a word. It was my last one in, once I’d checked its existence in the dictionary. Some liked 29a, others didn’t, but it was my favourite. Thank you setter and BD.

22. Cryptic Mummy
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 9:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

A good crossword – nothing too challenging but some groans when we finally got the clue\justified it! 14d was the favourite along with 17a. Thanks to the setters for an enjoyable Saturday evening.

Posted August 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle that I found quite straightforward. Needed to think quite hard to get the last half a dozen answers. Last in was 9d. Favourite was 28a. Was 2*/3* for me.

24. Orphan Annie
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 10:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Off to bed tired little slreepyhead but must say thank to BD and our setters for a magic crossword day. :yahoo:

Posted August 5, 2017 at 10:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

I liked it and it was just teasing enough to be fun.( There was a time when if one said something like that it led to all sorts of innuendo ).
    We have all become so PC.
    11a is probably the easiest clue but is my favourite.
    Thanks to BD and the setter.

26. CathyG
    Posted August 6, 2017 at 12:10 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi there. Can someone please explain the construction of 6a to me?
    Usually I think ‘cut’ means to take the last letter off. In this clue it is suggested that you cut the flower word in half and use only the first half. How does this come from ‘makes one’ or doesn’t it? In which case how did you know it was cut in half rather than randomly cut letters off?
    Thanks! Confused of Colchester

• Gazza
      Posted August 6, 2017 at 7:34 am | Permalink | Reply

You’ve changed your alias since your previous comments so this one needed moderation – both aliases will work from now on.
      In 6a I think that ‘cut’ in this case just means ‘abbreviated’. The answer is in Chambers as an informal abbreviation for the flower in question (with the full name of the flower having 9 letters, so it’s not being cut in half).

27. Hoofityoudonkey
    Posted August 6, 2017 at 8:28 am | Permalink | Reply

28a, I can only see one ‘pole’?

Posted August 6, 2017 at 8:46 am | Permalink | Reply

Have you read BD’s hint??

• Hoofityoudonkey
        Posted August 6, 2017 at 8:51 am | Permalink | Reply

I have Sue, I was trying to transpose the wrong letters, I assumed they were in the middle! Thanks!

28. Pat
    Posted August 6, 2017 at 2:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pat. 15a I could not do this one and don’t understand the clue. No one else seemed to have a problem. Fairly new to Cryptic Cwords!

• Gazza
      Posted August 6, 2017 at 3:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog, Pat.

15a Run away from rabbit by large property (7)
      Start with a verb to rabbit or gossip and remove (away) the cricket abbreviation for ‘run’. Finally add the abbreviation for large.

• Badger
      Posted August 8, 2017 at 9:03 am | Permalink | Reply

A general hint…adjoining words are not necessarily related. Eg large property does not necessarily imply a ‘large property’ quite the contrary here..